+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 388 FirstFirst ... 26 51 66 74 75 76 77 78 86 101 126 151 176 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 7755

Thread: Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

The crazy little mushroom billy bob's Avatar
    Europa Universalis: Chronicles

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blue emu View Post
    I've just realized that there's a mouse-over tool-tip that tells me what we need for treaties. A trade treaty (the easiest type) requires +200. "Friendly" status requires +800. "Allied" status requires +4000. Currently +93
    Screw that. Lets blow up some aliens.
    Golden Horde-Scourge from the East A Duke of Wellington Production
    My special Red Cookie. P-dox fantasy football champion!
    Brandenburg-Prussia in the 1650 RPG

#1 Die Hard Fan of-Green Bay Packers, Louisville Cardinals, etc.
    "Everyone has the potential, Not everyone has the will" Billy Bob
    "Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."-Stalin
    "Men who use libraries instead of building their own are like men who prefer whores to wives."-Llywelyn

Natalia Poklonskaya fanboy Stuckenschmidt's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIRome Gold

Blog Entries
    I've just realized that there's a mouse-over tool-tip that tells me what we need for treaties. A trade treaty (the easiest type) requires +200. "Friendly" status requires +800. "Allied" status requires +4000. Currently +93
    Wow, this game is going for the long haul. But we`re half way to a trade treaty. Say, do active treaties accelerate the speed with which our relations improve?
    "I think it is more like the annexation of Texas. So Putin is James K. Polk. And Polk was Hitler. Okay, Polk preceded Hitler so Hitler was Polk too, but let`s not debate about technicalities."

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckenschmidt View Post
    Wow, this game is going for the long haul. But we`re half way to a trade treaty. Say, do active treaties accelerate the speed with which our relations improve?
    They either speed up the monthly gain, or give us a lump-sum bonus. Not sure which. I'm a noob, remember.
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is RED. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use Black for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeHoi 2 Beta500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Dysken View Post
    There's a very real risk that the more we explore the more enemies spawn.
    That's OK... I fully expect to get us all killed at some point. This game is the Dwarf Fortress of 4x Space Games.

Dwarves in Space!
    "To punish me for my contempt for authority, they made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein

My Demi-Mod color is RED. If I'm posting in this color, I'm not just being a jerk. I use Black for that.

"The Game"... my first AAR. Armageddon v1.2 Mod-34, Germany.
    Winner, Q2-2008 HOI-2 Comedy Award.
    Winner, 2008 Iron HeAARt Award for the best HOI-2 AAR of 2008.
    Autocrat of Earth in the Forum Game "Ad Astra"
    Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes! - A Dwarf Fortress succession game.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

That's OK... I fully expect to get us all killed at some point. This game is the Dwarf Fortress of 4x Space Games.

Dwarves in Space!
    Speaking of which, this game has brought to my attention how incredibly horrendous the interface for DF is.
    "Success seems to be connected to action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit." - Conrad Hilton

Bring back the American Politics Megathread.

Blog Entries
    I like this game so far. It develops considerably fast when it comes to stellar exploration and considerably slow when it comes to colonization / research / shipbuilding. As I said, I´m in it next winter. Maybe there are more patches until then.
    "I think it is more like the annexation of Texas. So Putin is James K. Polk. And Polk was Hitler. Okay, Polk preceded Hitler so Hitler was Polk too, but let`s not debate about technicalities."

Lt-Commander Nabobalis is pilot of the eighth Fighter in Squadron #2 (Cossacks) under CO Konstantin Shepardovsky

Fleet Init 119, FTR bonus 25%, Espionage 30%, Athiest, Cold Manner.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckenschmidt View Post
    I like this game so far. It develops considerably fast when it comes to stellar exploration and considerably slow when it comes to colonization / research / shipbuilding. As I said, I´m in it next winter. Maybe there are more patches until then.
    Probably no new patches for a while yet.

Hearts of Iron III

They either speed up the monthly gain, or give us a lump-sum bonus. Not sure which. I'm a noob, remember.
    And, if I understand the wiki correctly, if you have a trade treaty, commercial vessels inside alien systems do not lead to a relation degradation: "If they have a population in the system, they don't want you there. If you have a trade agreement with them they make an exception for all commercial classed ships."

Which means that if we can enter a trade treaty, our brave scouts can continue exploration.

EDIT: or not:
    This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes.
    Deus Ex fans are insane. I know because I'm one of them. If Deus Ex 3 isn't exactly the same as Deus Ex 1, possibly with slightly prettier graphics and more fluid animation, we will go batshit. I might mail someone my left ear. I'm getting angry just thinking about the notion of a game that isn't Deus Ex to the letter. We're all like this, Deus Ex broke our brain in some fundamental way that renders us unable to appreciate anything else without that dark caveat lurking at the back of our minds: "This isn't Deus Ex." Crysis isn't Deus Ex. Stalker isn't Deus Ex. Bioshock isn't Deus Ex. Deus Ex 2 isn't Deus Ex. When Jesus Christ himself returns to save every one of our souls, there'll be a grouchy huddle of pallid nerds muttering "Eh, he's no Deus Ex." -Tom Francis

[Note to self - get new signature]

Dwarves in Space!
    Sounds like a goblin's crazy idea.

What I'm expecting quite soon is us finding a new alien race. Or a bunch of pissed off Precursor ships many techs ahead of us

Paradox QA Paradox Dev Team ForzaA's Avatar
    200k club500k club

Blog Entries
    So, basically, the Charlies are blockading a system that we have first claim to (as far as we know) - I say we blast them to smithereens as soon as possible - just don't let the diplomats know we're essentially just stalling for time.

It's not formally aggression what they're doing, but it isn't exactly friendly either.

What IS curious, however, is that they appear to not have made any attempt to jump through to Ross-bignumber.
    Error in war on error on line 1.

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaA View Post
    So, basically, the Charlies are blockading a system that we have first claim to (as far as we know) - I say we blast them to smithereens as soon as possible - just don't let the diplomats know we're essentially just stalling for time.

It's not formally aggression what they're doing, but it isn't exactly friendly either.

What IS curious, however, is that they appear to not have made any attempt to jump through to Ross-bignumber.
    It might have to come to this, I've always found diplomacy rather slow.

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Trade, trade, trade, trade with mighty corporation!

This moment was brought to you by Sing-alongs with Elan.
    "'Religious faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the other trappings of a preternatural existence, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But we have witnessed the cosmos now, my friends. We have passed amongst it. We have learned and understood the fabric of reality. We have seen the stars from behind, and found they have no clockwork mechanisms, no golden chariots carrying them abroad. We have realized there is no need for god, or any gods, and by extension no use any longer for daemons or devils or spirits."

- Primary Iterator Kyril Sindermann

Known Space:
    Any idea what the dark blue ring around Gliese 687 means?
    I take it the light blue rings means moderately habitable planets being colonised by us. Red ring means "not-entirely-surveyed for jump points".
    Green ring probably means we have a fully-developed settelement in a fully habitable world.

Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2

Arnold "Kiwi" Rimmer, commissioned on ESNA Red Dwarf freighter.
    ESNA Schnitzel renamed as ESNA Hansa due to officer begging.

Lurkenius should be in contact with our personel department.

You'd get health issues too, with all those pinko liberal alien lovers flying around in uniform. High blood pressure, most likely.

What we should do is: As soon as ships are tanked & repaired, issue a permanent scout to Ross248 and another one on stuve 2998. Second, if we can expedite the matter, we will start researching mines. As soon as our new cruisers are trained, we take them out for a long walk. We deploy mines at the same time (preferably in massive quantity) around the sole known exit of Groombridge 1618. We then move our entire fleet to groombridge 34 and blast everything in the system. As soon as that is done, tuggers bring the alien ship remains to earth for research, Int Ops interviews all possible captives and the fleet will take positions in Ross System. We immediately ship all the necessary elements for a colony to Groombridge 34 and claim the system. The mines should hopefully give any charlies ships who jump a whole lotta things to worry about - we might even park our fleet in Stuve 2998 if possible. In the worst case scenario where the aliens come in force, we then mine the ross 248 jump point too and park our fleet to shoot from behind the mines.

Alternative plan: We colonize stuve 2998 first, and pack it with planetary defense & fighter bases. We can use the colony and its factories for producing mines in situ -> then we move for Groombridge 34.
    Last edited by Ärjylä; 05-05-2011 at 12:23.
    ~|AURORA FLEET LIST HERE|~
    Rear Admiral, Fleet Commander: Ambitious, Inconsiderate, Methodical and Wealthy. High blood pressure and extreme aversion to trecherous liberal alien-lovers!
    FRIENDLESS, adj. Having no favors to bestow. Destitute of fortune. Addicted to utterance of truth and common sense.

Keeper of the seven keys Lord Martin's Avatar
    200k clubVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusC View Post
    Any idea what the dark blue ring around Gliese 687 means?
    Blue tells that it´s an uncolonized world with a colony cost less than 2 in the system.
    Since the custom avatars are gone, I´m aiming at 1.000.000 posts instead!!!!
    998.334 posts left...

Sergeant
    A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Kilo Charlie Bravo Juliet Whiskey mike, now with more Xtra!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ärjylä View Post

You'd get health issues too, with all those pinko liberal alien lovers flying around in uniform. High blood pressure, most likely.
    Don't forget the CATS!
    And the people who complain about cats.
    I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet - Stanisław Lem

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Let's be honest:

we have no clue AT ALL what these aliens are capable off. Well, militarily at least. We only know they can build massive ships. Planning a war on such flimsy information seems a horrible idea. We should keep up our diplomatic efforts so we can safely send scouts deep into their space, while simply assuming they pose no threat as they have not struck so far. If they strike us, then we respond. Until then, we try to avoid hostilities.

For all we know one ship of theirs can blast our entire to-be-completed fleet out of the sky.
    ICQ #331727773
    canonized on 11/08/2007

Overall Best WW player is Avernite with 7 wins overall (Dec 2006-sometime 2007)

jonti-h:No-one's perfect
    General Jac: Except Avernite , that's why I kill him every game

Jopi: I'll vote Avernite. He's a hard player to read, and therefore always dangerous.
    Avernite: Avernite is a very mean person because he always comes up with great ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martin View Post
    Blue tells that it´s an uncolonized world with a colony cost less than 2 in the system.
    The blue spot indeed signals a planet easy to colonise. But the dark blue ring around the system? Is it there just to confirm the blue dot, or does it have another meaning? Like, habitable planet being colonised (in which case, it's settled by someone else).

About the Charlies, we shouldn't forget that they might have another way to come into our own space. We haven't explored all the jump points and don't have any indication about Groombridge 34's other jump points.

But I'd rather wait until we have a trade treaty, and can scout a bit their space without losing much diplo relationship. After that, we can decide if they're hostile or a roadblock too big to leave on our path.

Leading the Mombotian Horde Lurken's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

At the Temple of Mombot, nailing up 103 boards

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Since I am no longer on the diplomatic corp, just plunk me down whereever you want. I am not picky.
    "Godfather of the Superpower games" according to people
    Bought a big case of beer to Pdox
    Proud owner of 3 mouldy Phoenix cookies ●●●
    Pathetic and Brave King of Poland in Battlefront IV - Lords of War
    Shifty Leader of <random/> nation in Diplomacy Universalis 1.5

Rythin, the mad warmongerer and Lurken, the semi-peaceful builder in
    "Lurken and Rythin in the land of sand - The wacky Mzab adventures." - it's aaalive....Well...not really. It is quite dead. Undead?
    Minister of Information and Groupies for OT-President rafiki

The plight and return of B'mo'otm - an AAR, like I've never done before - Redux

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ärjylä View Post
    What we should do is: As soon as ships are tanked & repaired, issue a permanent scout to Ross248 and another one on stuve 2998. Second, if we can expedite the matter, we will start researching mines. As soon as our new cruisers are trained, we take them out for a long walk. We deploy mines at the same time (preferably in massive quantity) around the sole known exit of Groombridge 1618. We then move our entire fleet to groombridge 34 and blast everything in the system. As soon as that is done, tuggers bring the alien ship remains to earth for research, Int Ops interviews all possible captives and the fleet will take positions in Ross System. We immediately ship all the necessary elements for a colony to Groombridge 34 and claim the system. The mines should hopefully give any charlies ships who jump a whole lotta things to worry about - we might even park our fleet in Stuve 2998 if possible. In the worst case scenario where the aliens come in force, we then mine the ross 248 jump point too and park our fleet to shoot from behind the mines.
    Reminds me of an old joke:

A: Do you suffer from megalomania?
    B: No. I enjoy it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 388 FirstFirst ... 26 51 66 74 75 76 77 78 86 101 126 151 176 ... LastLast