• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your updates are really amazing. Lots of hard work!

How do you supply your troops in East Africa?

I am not sure, this is my second game. A couple of things perhaps:

1) When I first took Mombassa there were no supplies, then all of a sudden there were around 3000 supplies and 3000 fuel. These appeared between the 14 June and the 20 June. During this time, I took the western side of the Suez. Convoys are in AI hands. A bug or hardcoded event?

2) I effectively modded in one extra industry into Ethiopia and transferred one from Italy to Eritrea. I have read that industry can produce supply away from your capital so this might have helped a little bit.

3) Whenever I had supply shortages I always pushed up the supply production above SUPPLY NEED by about 10%, this seemed to help a lot. Within a week or so supplies would starting dribbling back into the system.

Offsetting this I also modded the Italian openng OOB to add more Italian units in AOI. To date, I have experienced some supply issues, mainly fuel in EAst Africa. I am currently having issues around the Nile Delta.

EDIT: I tracked down the mysterious 3000 supplies and 3000 fuel, they came from the Sultanate of Sciavelli a minor puppet of the Italians (but with excessive amounts of supplies :)):

Its interesting how they travelled around East Africa:
Gaalkacyo in Sultanate of Sciavelli – 14 May 1936
Gaalkacyo in Sultanate of Sciavelli – 22 May 1936
Geladi in Italian Somaliland - 28 May 1936
Djibouti in French Somaliland - 3 June 1936
Debre Markos in western Ethiopia - 14 June 1936
Mombassa in British East Africa – 20th June 1936​

Now I dont know if I could have been successful without this advantage. AARGGGHHHH :mad:

Last edited:
Going back even further it looks like I got about 2500 supplies and 500 fuel out of the Ethiopian capital Addis Abeba on the 9th May. Only about 1600 in fuel came from the Sultanate of Sciavelli. As the war with the Allies started soonafter the Ethiopian defeat, the Ethiopian supplies were used in the war rather than being burned up by garrisons.

I've got to agree with mnplastic, I love how much detail and time you put into these updates. How much are you trying to take before you peace out? The eastern bank of the Suez?

Personally, I am undecided but if I go with Balbo's original plan:

- In France, the Mediterranean ports - still need to retake Marseille
- In the Mediterranean, Malta and Corsica (Cyprus was a distant option) - complete
- In French North Africa, all ports - still need Algiers and Oran
- In British North Africa, secure Egypt and the western side of the Suez and if possible push into Palestine - partially complete
- In British East Africa, Kenya, Uganda, Sudan, British Somaliland and French Somaliland - almost complete

The attack on Aden and Yemen was outside the original plan and is effectively a continuation of the war in East Africa. The strategic objective being to secure the Gate of Tears.

I do long for some peace where I can reorganise and build but will also admit this has turned on all of megalomaniac desires. I dream on pushing right through Iraq to Kuwait and surely the sub continent must be completely unguarded with all of the Indian divisions I have been facing. There's French Indochina and British holdings in South East Asia, Madagascar and the many islands in the Indian Ocean and lots of targets in the Atlantic (I don't even know if I can get my ships through the Pillars of Hercules?).

I am close to my last save game, so it will be time to fine tune a few details and think to the future soon.

Now I dont know if I could have been successful without this advantage. AARGGGHHHH :mad:

Don't feel bad. I have fought the British in East Africa a bunch of times, and I'm convinced the AI cheats! I always have a devil of a time keeping my troops in supply, but the British -- never a problem. That was why previously I thought you would uncover stockpiles in Khartoum and elsewhere.

Closing of the Sudan ‘sack’ and Yemen is conquered

Recap: After the Italian victory in Ethiopia in May 1936, the large build-up of British forces on the Ethiopian-Sudanese Border unnerved the Italians. Marshal Balbo pitched a “grand plan” for a war against the Allies to Mussolini. It was accepted and a multi-front war began between Italy and the Allies on the 11th May 1936.
On the 2nd July 1936, Spain erupted into civil war. The Italian Fascist’s and the German Nazi’s both supported the Nationalist side.

Europe
Recap: At the start of the war the Italian I and IV armies had easily pushed over the unprepared French forces along Little Maginot Line (in the Alps) and expanded into the Provence and Rhone regions. The front became static with the arrival of two French armour divisions and the French forces then counterattacked and have retaken Marseille. With reinforcements from the II and VIII armies, the Italians have won two significant battles and have now retaken the initiative.

On the 20th May, the Italians were also able to capture Malta from the British and later Corsica from the French, securing the central Mediterranean.

19ItaliantroopsmarchingthroughFrehRiv.jpg

Italian reinforcements marching through the French Riviera

Alpine Front
21st July: At the southern end of the front, Zincone’s attack against Aix-en-Provence had already achieved its desired objective of forcing the halt of the French attack on Manosque. Now it bore more fruit. Much to the delight of General Pintor, the outnumbered 2:1 the French divisions began to retreat.

19c.jpg

Victorious battle of Aix-en-Provence

23rd July: French troops to the southeast of Lyon now attacked Grenoble, presumably in an attempt to reclaim the city. General Guzzoni would have none of it. A weakness was detected in the French line just to the north where only a HQ brigade guarded Ruffieux. General Guzzoni ordered the 2nd Alpine to attack Ruffieux while the 4th Alpine and the 18th ‘Messina’ attacked a lone French Infantry Division at St Claude on the Swiss border.

19Italiancasualty.jpg

Italian soldier being evacuated in Grenoble

19g.jpg

The successful strategy of counterattacking around French attacks continues. This time the French attack Grenoble while the Italians counterattack to the north.

24th to 26th July: Guzzoni’s counterattack worked. On the 24th, the battle for the weakly defended Ruffieux was won, followed by a victory two days later at St Claude.

19k.jpg

Guzzoni’s counterattack: Victorious battles of Ruffieux and St Claude.

ASI
Recap: In North Africa, the Italian IX Army had captured Tunis and were now heading west to Algiers. The X Army and the VI Army advanced east, first taking Cairo and then besieging the British in Alexandria. After a tough battle the British 7th Infantry Division and the Middle East Command were forced to surrender. The Italians were then forced on the defensive along the line of the Suez against a determined British and Iraqi attack. The line was breached in its entirety and the British (and Iraqis) are pushing on, eager to reclaim the Nile Delta region.

Algeria
21st July: Just before night started closing in, an Italian Sirena-class submarine of the 61st Submarine flotilla secretly moved into the waters close to Algiers. A group of Italian frogmen were dispatched to enter the waterfront district at night for surveillance purposes. Their mission was successful and the news they brought back most alarming. The garrison forces of Algiers had been significantly bulked up but the garrison composition was not ascertainable.

The surveillance details were quickly reported to General Vercellino who ordered a halt to the advance of the two divisions advancing west. Marshal Balbo was not consulted.

19n.jpg

The surveillance mission of the 61st Submarine flotilla. The advance forces of IX Army, now halted by General Verecellino.

Nile Delta
22nd July: Not wanting to be outdone by their ‘sister’ division to the north (after is victory in Port Said), elements of the 7th ‘Cirene’ at El Mansura now attacked the 2nd Iraqi Division at Isma’iliya.

19f.jpg

The Iraqi’s lose the high ground at Zagazig and elements of the 7th ‘Cirene’ Division attack Isma’iliya. To the south, the mobile 2nd ‘Emanuele Filiberto’ Division threatens to overrun the British 48th ‘South Midlands’ Division (highlighted in green)

23rd July: Instead of advancing east, after its previous victory at Isma’iliya, the 27th ‘Sila’ Division was ordered to drive the Allied forces from the high ground at Zagazig. Originally retaken by the British 48th ‘South Midlands’ Division, it was now defended solely by the 3rd Iraqi Division. The Iraqis had not dug established positions on the high ground and were thus very vulnerable to the artillery of the Sila Division. After a few hours of ineffective shelling the Iraqi’s pulled back.

25th July: Port Said was re-occupied by elements of the 7th ‘Cirene’ Blackshirts Division, depriving the British of another Mediterranean port.

26th July: A fresh British Division (18th Infantry) began assaulting the Blackshirt forces at Port Said before they had time to dig in.

19m.jpg

The fresh British 19th Infantry Division attacks the Blackshirts at Port Said. Prince Amedeo’s X Army is doing all of the hard fighting along this part of the front.

AOI
Recap: In East Africa, the strong French 1st Army in Djibouti initially made good advances on the Eritrean capital of Asmara but they were able to be surrounded and eventually annihilated by the Italian forces. The Italians were also able to capture key British strategic locations in the Somaliland, northern Sudan and British East Africa, effectively trapping the British 3rd Army in the Sudan east of Ethiopia. A relief effort is being attempted by the British 4th Infantry Division just north of Lake Victoria. In the meantime the Italians continue to pressure and look to close “pincer” around the 3rd Army.

Sudanese Border
21st July: A week earlier, Major General Loyd had directed that the British 4th Infantry Division attack Italian held Kisumu after an arduous journey around the western shore of Lake Victoria. This was an attempt to relieve the British 3rd Army trapped in Sudan. Now after a week of fighting the British were defeated and Loyd ordered a pull back from the attack.

19a.jpg

The battle of Kisumu is won by the Italian forces of the Somaliland Army. Italian forces now advance while the British retreat.

After the British attack broke off, the experienced Frattini was quick to seize the initiative. After a few probing attacks against the British line it was obvious there was going to be no resistance. The 4th Infantry Division was on the retreat to the south. To the north of Kisumu, Nasi and Cona were still advancing west into Gulu with the 3rd Blackshirts and the 1st Libyan Divisions.

With the victory against the British 4th Infantry Division and the Italian advance on Gulu the closing of the South Sudan pocket was inevitable.

19ejpeg.jpg

The Sudan sack: the British are trapped against The Sudd in the west and Italian forces in the north and east. It is only a matter of time before they are cut off from Uganda in the south.

“The Sudd region of the White Nile, which has been cursed by hundreds, possibly thousands of travellers, and called be one ‘an inhospitable waste of water, by another, ’this desperate and forbidding region’, and by a third ‘ a damp hell’,” – Sir William Willcocks, British civil engineer.

To the north, the Major General Castellano was earning his stripes in charge of the 24th ‘Pinerolo’ Division. Their orders were to defeat the British forces which had dug in at Jima, a difficult task given the mountainous terrain and river crossing.

19b.jpg
Battle of Jima - the British finally starting to show supply problems.

22nd July: The 1st Libyan and 3rd Blackshirts Division under Nasi’s command made brief contact with the British 20th Indian Division in the woodlands of Gulu. The outnumbered and battered Indians were soon forced to retreat.

23rd July: At Ed Damazin, at the northern end of the Sudan sack, the shattered forces of the British 19th Indian Division continues to be harassed by Italian IMAM Ro.37 Lynx light bombers.

ro37_39sq5gr_oa_scutari1942.jpg

Meridionali Ro.37 Lince (“Lynx”) squadron at rest

24th July: The tough 19th Indian Division had held out for twelve days in Ed Damazin. Messe’s second attack on Ed Damazin was finally successful. The Indian troops retreated to the south towards Malakal where another battle was raging between elements of the Italian Somaliland Corps and the British Ugandan Colonial Division.

19h.jpg

Battle of Ed Damazin finally won for the Italians. The offensive continues as elements of the Somaliland Corps are victorious at Malakal against the Ugandan Colonial Division.

25th July: The Sudan sack now became a pocket as Nasi’s forces took control of Gulu. The news spread through the British forces quickly and the pocket began to collapse immediately along its eastern side. Firstly, after hearing of another defeat of their forces in the north, the moral of the Ugandan colonials dropped away and they gave up the fight in Malakal.

19rivercrossing.jpg

Italian artillery making a river crossing

Not long after, Messe order a probing attack by the 1st Eritrean Division against Nek’emte. Here the 23rd Indian Division was holed up on the western side of the Dinder River. When another Italian Division joined the assault, the 23rd gave up its positions and retreated south.

19i.jpg

The 23rd Indian Division is defeated at Nek’emte

19Indians.jpg

Hard pressed soldiers from the 23rd Indian Division

Arabia Felix
Recap: on the 11th July, the Italian colonial troops successfully landed and secured the undefended British port of Aden. Yemeni forces (allies of Britain) immediately attacked the Italian forces but more Italian troops were landed, this time in Yemen itself. Pushing into the interior, the battle for the Yemeni capital San’a’ had begun.

21st July: The landing of additional Italian reinforcements was effective, the Yemeni Royal Army and it leadership, were outnumbered over 2:1 and suffering heavy losses. The capital could now be taken.

19d.jpg
The Yemeni capital has been given up to Italian forces.

25th July: The difficult terrain in Yemen slowed the Italian advance on the capital San’a’ but all was not over for operation Aelius Gallus. The Royal Yemeni Army had slipped southeast into the arid highlands east of Aden and now as if appearing from nowhere launched a ferocious attack against the weary Somali Dubats still holding Aden – a dangerous turnaround in the operation.

To the west of Aden, the 3rd Eritrean Division defeated the weak Yemeni forces holding out in Ta’izz and now moved to occupy the province.

19j.jpg

The Royal Yemeni Army suddenly appears out of the east and relaunches its assault on the tired Dubats holding Aden. The 3rd Eritrean Division is victorious at Ta’izz.

26th to 27th July: Italian forces occupy San’a, capital of Yemen. Imam Yahya al Hamid, many if his relatives and ministers managed to get across the border in the Aden Protectorate. There forces decided to fight on, specifically the Royal Army currently attacking Aden.

19l.jpg

Yemen is conquered but the Royal Yemeni Army fights on out of the Aden Protectorate. The strategic objective of control of Bab-el-Mandeb (the Gate of Tears) is secured.

Last edited:
Looks like you can start rolling up a few of the british fronts now though still the suez seems to be the weakest point in your african line.

Does the Sudd not have any infanstructure for units to pass through?
Looks like the entire British East and South African Colonies are wide open unless massive reinforcements can either arrive quickly at the front or pour through the Suez.

Looks like you can start rolling up a few of the british fronts now though still the suez seems to be the weakest point in your african line.

Yes, still battling at the Suez, supplies are the real issue for me there. Once I wipe out the Sudan pocket I plan to land some reinforcements in the Sinai and Palestine.

Does the Sudd not have any infanstructure for units to pass through?
Looks like the entire British East and South African Colonies are wide open unless massive reinforcements can either arrive quickly at the front or pour through the Suez.

In game terms only the southern end of the Sudd, Juma is passable (2 infrastructure) so they are now trapped. This is stock HOI3 SF, I have only modded in the new terrain.

Yes, I think you are right the entire British East and their Southern African colonies are probably wide open. When I wipe out the pocket I will count the number of Indian Divisions I have captured. Lots of juicy targets including Iraq.

Marseille retaken

Recap: After the Italian victory in Ethiopia in May 1936, the large build-up of British forces on the Ethiopian-Sudanese Border unnerved the Italians. Marshal Balbo pitched a “grand plan” for a war against the Allies to Mussolini. It was accepted and a multi-front war began between Italy and the Allies on the 11th May 1936.
On the 2nd July 1936, Spain erupted into civil war. The Italian Fascist’s and the German Nazi’s both supported the Nationalist side.

Europe
Recap: At the start of the war the Italian I and IV armies had easily pushed over the unprepared French forces along Little Maginot Line (in the Alps) and expanded into the Provence and Rhone regions. The front became static with the arrival of two French armour divisions and the French forces then counterattacked and retook Marseille. With reinforcements from the II and VIII armies, the Italians have now retaken the imitative along the front.

On the 20th May, the Italians were also able to capture Malta from the British and later Corsica from the French, securing the central Mediterranean. A series of naval battles took place between Italian and French fleets in the central Mediterranean during mid-June. French naval power was seriously damaged including the loss of the carrier Bearn and the battleship Provence.

Alpine Front
28th July: The French 71st Division which retreated at Aix-en-Provence on the 21st was still in the process of extracting itself from that battle. The French infantrymen were moving to the south where a sole French Division guarded Marseille. The division guarding Marseille only comprised of a brigade of motorised troops and a brigade of cavalry. The city was vulnerable. Seizing the opportunity, General Pintor ordered the Italian IV Army and elements of the II and VIII to launch an overwhelming attack on the lone French division now guarding Marseille.

2071stonthemarch.jpg

The French 71st march south to Marseille.

Outnumbered and hard pressed from both the north and the east, the guard division also had to contend with the demoralising impact of streams of fleeing men from the French 71st Divisions troops entering the city. The French guards were able to hold out while the men of the 71st retreated to the Vieux-Port (the old port).

20g.jpg

Weak French forces allow the battle for Marseille to be won by the Italians.

In the north, following the Italian victories at Ruffieux and St-Claude on the 24th and 26th, forces of the Italian I Army had now advanced into these provinces without further resistance. In fact, a large gap in the French front had appeared at the northern end.

29th July: The 2nd ‘Tridentina’ Division at Ruffieux now pressed onwards, this time to the southwest against the French at Bourgoin-Jallieu. These troops were in the midst of an assault on Grenoble. The orders of the ‘Tridentina’ division was to halt the French counterattack against Grenoble

30th July: Despite an attack on the ‘Tridentina’ Division by French forces at Bourg-en-Bresse, the stratagem worked, the attack on Grenoble was called off. Likewise the advance of the ‘Tridentina’ Division against Bourgoin-Jallieu was halted so that they could defend themselves against the new attack.

20j.jpg

Guzzoni’s successfully defeats the French attack on Grenoble.

The Rhone-Alpine front had recently expanded westwards in both the north and the south, leaving the French armour and an infantry division surrounded on three sides at Luc-en-Diois . Intelligence indicated that both divisions were in the process of withdrawing westwards to the Rhone River. General Pintor pushed for an immediate all-out assault on the position, similar to what he had implemented at the battle of Aix-en-Provence. His proposal was discussed with both General Guzzoni and Marshal Badoglio. Badoglio preferred a more defensive approach because of the presence of French armour but Guzzoni supported his fellow general. The plan was implemented after Badoglio relented to the wishes of his two subordinates.

20k.jpg

General Pintor’s assault on Luc-en-Diois

The assault on Luc-en-Diois involved combined forces of the I (4 divisions), the IV, II and VIII Armies (one division each). The French Divisions were already in the process of withdrawing to the west and gave up the fight easily.

31st July: With the fall of Marseille being only a matter of time, the fresh 2nd Naval Squadron attempted to swoop in and take out more French ships when they fled from the port city. Unfortunately heavy mists allowed the battered French naval vessels to slip away. The city was soon occupied by four Italian Divisions. A uninformed French Infantry Division which had been advancing on the city made contact with the ‘Brennero’ Division but soon broke contact with the sizeable Italian occupation force.

20l.jpg

Marseille falls

1st August: With the ‘Tridentina’ Division pinned down at Ruffieux by French forces, General Guzzoni now ordered a counterattack against the attackers. The Italian 4th “Cuneense” mountain division attacked west against the French forces in Bourg-en-Bresse. The effect was insant, the French division had no option but to call off the attack and concentrate on defending itself at Bourg-en-Bresse.

20n.jpg

Italian troops would soon be at the Rhone.

Mediterranean
29th July: Before the fall of Marseille, Major General Arlabosee had got his troops onto French transport ships docked at Vieux-Port (the old port).

20Frenchtroopstransport.jpg

French transports loading up the 71st Infantry Division at Marseille

Instead of heading south to French Algeria, the transports and its accompanying escorts headed south east towards Corsica. Someone in the French command had got the idea that they would be able to land the 71st at Ajaccio and reclaim Corsica for the French. Guarding Ajaccio for the Italians was a single garrison brigade, the 53rd, which had dug in nicely around the port in the event of a seaborne invasion.

Italian intelligence was quick to relay the information of the French fleet’s movements and its goal of amphibious invasion. Naval and air assets were quickly scrambled. Out of the port at Viterbo shot the 1st Naval Squadron under the command of Vice Admiral Ghe. She comprised of:

20h.jpg

The composition of the Italian 1st Squadron

The Regina Aeronautica scrambled all available air support in the area, a mixture of light bombers, naval bombers and fighters for support.

20a.jpg

The 2nd Battle of the Bonifacio Straits begins along with the amphibious invasion of Corsica

The battle opened up at 10am on the 29th in rough weather. The French fleet under Abrial was led by the battleship Paris with support from two cruisers and three flotilla s of screens. A flotilla of French submarines was also scouting around the area. The French had numerical superiority but the Italians had the bigger guns and mass air support. In the opening volleys, the Italian ships were able to sink a French transport and a destroyer while Italian bombers also damaged a few French destroyers and sunk a few transports.

As the battle dragged on into the later part of the afternoon it swung into the favour of the Regina Marina with the arrival of reinforcements. The Italian 3rd Naval squadron joined the battle with 5 light cruisers and a flotilla of destroyers. More French transports and destroyers were either sunk or damaged.

20b.jpg

The 2nd battle of the Bonifacio Straits

As darkness closed in the French screens were in disarray after another bombing run by the Italian air squadrons. Several more transport ships were sunk and the infnatry of the French 71st were forced into the water in rough seas. Many were lost.

30th July: The battle continued throughout the night. A few French landing boats made it ashore near Ajaccio but they were easily dealt with by the 53rd Garrison Brigade.

French_ships_destroyed.jpg

Foreground: French cruiser Foch on fire and sinking; Far left: Unidentified French destroyer also on fire an sinking.

Mid-morning on the 30th the Foch and the Tourville were both sinking after taking hard hits from the Italian cruisers. By early afternoon the battle was officially over. It was a disaster for France, the heavy cruisers Foch and Tourville both going down along with a flotilla of destroyers and a flotilla of transports. In addition, all 9,000 men of the 71st Infantry Division were either lost at sea or captured along the coasts of Corsica.

20e.jpg

The 2nd battle of the Bonifacio Straits is won.

20i.jpg

The RM Fiume claimed the Foch and the RM Armando Diaz the Tourville

ASI
Recap: In North Africa, the Italian IX Army has captured Tunis and were now heading west to Algiers. The X Army and the VI Army advanced east, first taking Cairo and then besieging the British in Alexandria. After a tough battle the British 7th Infantry Division and the Middle East Command were forced to surrender. The Italians were then forced on the defensive along the line of the Suez against a determined British and Iraqi attack. The line was breached in its entirety and the British were able to initially push on before their attack faulted.

Nile Delta
29th July: South of Cairo, the 2nd ‘Emanuele Filiberto’ Division continued to nip at the heels of the British 48th ‘South Midlands’ Division as it advanced south. The 27th ‘Sila’ Division which had successfully driven the 3rd Iraqi Division out of the high ground in Zagazig continued its advance to the Suez.

At the far northern end of the canal a fresh British Division had succeeded in pushing elements of the 7th Cirene Division out of Port Said.

20f.jpg

TOP: 2nd ‘Emanuele Filiberto’ Division pursues the British 48th ‘South Midlands’ Division; BOTTOM: The British 18th Infantry defeat elements of the7th Cirene Division who were holding Port Said. The remainder of the 7th ‘Cirene’ Division was still locked in battle with the 2nd Iraqi Division at Isma’iliya.

1st August: The blackshirts of the 7th ‘Cirene’ Division were taking heavy casualties at Isma’iliya and were forced to give up the attack. The mighty 27th ‘Sila’ Division continued its push to the Suez, driving the 3rd Iraqi Division all the way to its easterly bank.

20m.jpg

Battles of Isma’iliya and El Suweis

photoitaliantroopsinaction.jpg

Soldiers of the 27th ‘Sila’ Division in action.

In that rugged and arid lands to the south, the 2nd ‘Emanuele Filiberto’ Division was able to trap the British 48th ‘South Midlands’ Division in a number of steep sided defiles after it satellite brigade, the 4th ‘Santi Maurizio’, unexpectedly appeared at the front of the British division. The entire division, almost 9,000 men were all captured.

20capturedthompson.jpg

Bersaglieri of the 2nd ‘Emanuele Filiberto’ Division examine Thompson submachine guns captured from the British 48th ‘South Midlands’ Division.

With supply problems hampering the Italian Divisions, the 27th ‘Sila’ and the 2nd ‘Emanuele Filiberto’ Division were now the only combat ready divisions left.

AOI
Recap: In East Africa, the strong French 1st Army in Djibouti initially made good advances on the Eritrean capital of Asmara but they were eventually surrounded and annihilated by Italian forces. The Italians were also able to capture key British strategic locations in the Somaliland, northern Sudan and British East Africa, effectively trapping the British 3rd Army in the Sudan east of Ethiopia. In the south, a relief effort attempted by the British 4th Infantry Division just north of Lake Victoria failed and the Italians have finally closed the pincer and trapped the British against the impenetrable water waste called The Sudd.

Arabia Felix
Recap: On the 11th July, the Italian colonial troops successfully landed and secured the undefended British port of Aden. Yemeni forces (allies of Britain) immediately attacked the Italians but could not hold out when Italian reinforcements arrived. Yemen was overrun but the fighting units of their army escaped across the border into the British Aden Protectorate. This victory yielded full control of the Gate of Tears to the Italians, a significant strategic advantage.

Yemeni loyalist forces now have the Somali Dubats holding Aden very hard pressed.

28th July: In an effort to relieve the besieged Somali Dubats at Aden, the 1st Est Bassacmapi division attacked the positions of the Royal Yemeni Army at Ataq in the Aden Protectorate. The relief effort was too late, the colonial troops guarding Aden were forced to retreat by the Yemeni cavalry.

20c.jpg

The Eritreans of the 1st Est Bassacampi Division attempt to relieve the Dubats but they are to late.

29th July: Very unsatisfied with the result, Marshal Grazinai had de Stefanis’s ever victorious 30th ‘Sabauda’ Division shipped into the Port of Aden. The tough veterans of the Abyssinian War and of the defeat of the French 1st Army easily held Aden against the Yemeni cavalry forces.

20d.jpg

The famous 30th ‘Sabauda’ are called in to secure Aden from the Yemeni loyalist forces still fighting on.

Those Black Shirt Divisions always makes me smile! I made great use of them in a test game for my old AAR, though your doing better here.

Great updates, as usual. I see that someone (France or Italy) is getting a benefit in the air battles from superior radio technology. I still cannot figure out what I need to research to get that advantage over my foes or prevent my foes from getting it over me. There is only one level of the radio tech. I suspect encryption, but I'm not sure, and the tool tips don't seem to help. Also, isn't it best to configure your fleets to have as many screens as capitals in your squadrons. You were capital heavy until a light cruiser fleet joined the party.

Those Black Shirt Divisions always makes me smile! I made great use of them in a test game for my old AAR, though your doing better here.

The Blackshirts Divisions are a little better than vanilla milita. They have a small morale increase modded in but still cant stand up to militia. I have made them upgradeable but have had no chance to use this. Hopefully in the future. :)

Nice destruction on the Med. It always seems like you gain inertia on 1 front at the expense of another.

The naval war goes very well against France but I cant pin down those sneaky British fleets.

If I can successfully extract my troops from East Africa I think you will see a large change in the flow of this game. I do worry about the full might of the Anglo-French industrial power being brought to bare against me (and me alone).

RM Fiume sunk Italian destroyers? Is she a double agent or it was practice targeting?

There's that friendly fire again. Didn't that happen earlier in the war? I might be thinking of a different AAR though...

The Fiume is an untamed beast, more guns than sense. :) I do think it happened in an earlier battle but I didnt pick it up. Perhaps I should rename her.

Great updates, as usual. I see that someone (France or Italy) is getting a benefit in the air battles from superior radio technology. I still cannot figure out what I need to research to get that advantage over my foes or prevent my foes from getting it over me. There is only one level of the radio tech. I suspect encryption, but I'm not sure, and the tool tips don't seem to help. Also, isn't it best to configure your fleets to have as many screens as capitals in your squadrons. You were capital heavy until a light cruiser fleet joined the party.

I am certainly struggling in the air battles, barely holding them off and taking a lot of casulaties on the ground. I suspect the superior radio might have something to do with proximity to airport, maybe? Thanks for pointing this put I need to pay more attention to these things.

Yes, I am aware of trying to balance the fleets but the French invasion of Corsica caught me totally off guard. I hadnt properly reorganised after the last battle. I just threw in all battle worthy fleets in close proximity.

Great reading as usual. Great work with several layers of information on the screens.

Italy, a country that was historically pummelled in both World War One and its sequel, against France and Britain, alone and unsupported, and winning... not sure whether to call that a gift of bravery or fortunate (for Mussolini) insanity. Amazing progress in Africa.

I am worried somewhat by the fact that your IC is getting eaten up; you can rest assured the French and British industrial base will not be having this problem! Watch out for fresh divisions marching out from London and Paris.

Victory in Africa means nothing if France and Britain can storm Italy proper. It'd be a shame if you wound up having to be bailed out by Germany. Still, you've accomplished a lot more than I could ever do!

Great reading as usual. Great work with several layers of information on the screens.

Thanks CptEast. Now get back to writing us another MP AAR. :laugh:

Italy, a country that was historically pummelled in both World War One and its sequel, against France and Britain, alone and unsupported, and winning... not sure whether to call that a gift of bravery or fortunate (for Mussolini) insanity. Amazing progress in Africa.

I am worried somewhat by the fact that your IC is getting eaten up; you can rest assured the French and British industrial base will not be having this problem! Watch out for fresh divisions marching out from London and Paris.

Victory in Africa means nothing if France and Britain can storm Italy proper. It'd be a shame if you wound up having to be bailed out by Germany. Still, you've accomplished a lot more than I could ever do!

Bravery or insanity, perhaps both but also timing. They were not ready for war, whereas Italy was. Africa was won only because I still had the supplies built up after the seizure of the Ethiopian capital. Without those it would have been a different story. I only realised this recently. This is why I can win in '36 but not in '40.

You hit it on the button with your point about the British and French IC. How long it takes for them to bring it to bear on me I do not know. I fear an amphibious invasion by the Brits as I am somewhat exposed there. I dont know if the AI will do it. The French are worried about the Germans and are not committing substantial forces to oppose me on the Rhone-Alpine Front.