• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice stuff! Will keep an eye on this. Keep it coming.

Excellent AAR with my fav nation. I love the Italian specific mods. Very interested to see how Balbo's grand plan plays out.

Do you worry the elevated threat you will generate from declaring war against the Allies will upset relations with Germany? Are your own trade routes and agreements secure?

Good Luck! Keep it up!

Nice stuff! Will keep an eye on this. Keep it coming.

Cheers

Excellent AAR with my fav nation. I love the Italian specific mods. Very interested to see how Balbo's grand plan plays out.

Do you worry the elevated threat you will generate from declaring war against the Allies will upset relations with Germany? Are your own trade routes and agreements secure?

Good Luck! Keep it up!

I will have a very high threat level after I lose neutrality through a series of decisions. Are you worried about Germany declaring agianst me as well? Its pretty early on in the game, they still haven't taken Austria.

I dont have much trade with the allies but I do have a lot of international trade with the Americas and Northern Europe. I am hoping the resources gains from conquered territory will offset this.

Detailed Drin-drin Plan

With Mussolini's acceptance of the plan, Marshal Balbo immediately began to set matters in motion for the execution of his grand plan. The first order of the day were the promotions arising from Abyssinian War and their related transfers. The transfers worked into the promotions were designed to fall in line with Balbo's grand plan.

Most important of all was the transfer of Marshal Badoglio from AOI to the newly named Alpine Front (Franco-Italian Border) and General Graziani's promotion to Marshal of AOI as Badoglio's replacement.

imgresize.php

Newly appointed Marshal Graziani arrives in Asmara Eritrea to take control of AOI

Lesser promotions and transfers:
- Armellini Q. commander of the 5th Alpine Division, I Corps, Northern Front was promoted to Lt General and transferred to the Alpine Front where he would command the Alpine Corps of the 4th Army
- Beraudo do Pralormo commander of the 24th Infantry Division, II Corps, Northern Front was promoted to Lt General and transferred to command II Corps in AOI
- Zingales commander of the Eritrean Corps, Northern Front was promoted to General and given command of the 6th Army which would be deployed on the Egyptian Front
- Giovanni Messe commander of the 4th Eritrean 'Celere' Division, Eritrean Corps, Northern Front was promoted to Lt General and given command of the Eritrean Corps
- Giovasio Bitosso commander of the Ovest Basscampi 'Celere' Division, Eritrean Corps (formerly of the Ovest Basscampi Corps), Northern Front was promoted to Lt General and transferred to command the Celere Corps of the 6th Army which would be deployed on the Egyptian Front
- Frusci commander of the Ogaden Corps, Southern Front was promoted to General and given command of the Somaliland Army (replacing Graziani)
- Oxilia commander of the 1st Arab-Somali Division, Ogaden Corps, Southern Front was promoted to Lt General and given command of the Ogaden Corps, Somaliland
- Goida commander of the 1st Somali Dubat Division, Ogaden Corps, Southern Front was promoted to Lt General and given command of I Corps Libya in the 10th army on the Egyptian Front
- Air General Pricolo commander of the 4th Tactical Bombers, Northern and Southern Fronts was promoted to Air Marshal and transferred to the Western Front where he was given command of the Aeronautica AOI (also transferred to the Western Front from Tobruk).
- Major General Nannini commander of the 1st Air Transport Wing was promoted to Lt General​

Other transfers:
- Lt General Gambara of the II Corps AOI was transferred to the Alpine Front where he took command of the II Corps of the 1st Army​

Then began a series of intense sessions and meetings with the Italian Army Group commanders to discuss the grand plan in detail.

7e23.jpg

Balbo and DeBono on route to a meeting

EUROPEAN THEATRE

THE ALPINE FRONT (Franco-Italo border) - Marshal Badoglio

In northern Italy Army Group West, based out of Milan, commands the 1st and the 4th armies. The 1st Army currently has five binary infantry divisions and one binary mountain division. A total of six binary divisions. The 4th Army currently has three binary infantry divisions and two binary mountain divisions for a total of five binary divisions. The 1st and 4th Armies are reserves.

7b.jpg

The key advantage of Army Group West was surprise. All of there divisions are already mobilised while the French border forces are not mobilised. Taking advantage of this strategic benefit meant attacking, Badoglio's objectives were set out as follows:

1st Army - General Guzzoni:
Primary Objectives: Drive the French from the Western Alps, dig in to defend against French counterattack.

4th Army - General Pintor
Primary objectives: Drive the French from the Maritime Alps and secure Provence. The Alpine Corps would lead the attack and drive through to Marseille, the IV Corps would also attack with the Alpine Corps, when the breakthrough occurred it job was then to secure the French Riviera. The I Corps bringing up the rear would loop around neutral Monaco and secure and hold Nice. This would deprive the French of its mainland Mediterranean ports.
Secondary objectives: Should all go well with the primary objectives, a landing force would be put together and the French airbase and port at Ajaccio, in Corsica (currently undefended), would be taken.

7a.jpg

The Alpine Front (colours are mixed up between the 1st and 4th)

8th Army (requisitioned from Army Group East) - General Pariani
Primary objectives: Strategic reserve for the Western Front and to cover the ports of Savona and La Spezia from potential seaborne invasion.

Air assets: It was expected that the French Airforce may show up in heavy numbers on this front. Balbo's plan involved deploying overwhelming air power to this front during the opening rounds of the war, that way the Regio Aeronautica could smash the French air attacks and establish air superiority on this front. Four interceptor wings we assigned to this front and two wings of tactical bombers, they would fly as follows:

- 1st Squadra Aerea - two interceptor wings
- Aeronautica AOI - 1 interceptor wing and 1 tactical bomber wing (requisitioned from Libya)
- 4th Squadro Aerea - 1 interceptor wing and 1 tactical bomber wing

NORTHERN ITALY

Army Group East is also based in northern Italy but out of Venice. Army Group East commands the 2nd, 6th and 8th armies. The 2nd Army consists of four binary infantry divisions. The 6th Army consists of three square divisions each consisting of one motorised brigade, one tankette brigade and two cavalry brigades. The 8th Army consists of two binary infantry divisions and one binary mountain division. The 2nd, 6th and 8th Armies are reservists and are mobilised.

7c.jpg

Here the 8th Army will be transferred to the Army Group West as a strategic reserve, while the mobile 6th Army will be transferred to Libya. The 2nd Army will be repositioned to cover the entire eastern front. The 6th Army can be used as a last resort reserve either to defend the western front or "firefight" throughout northern Italy.

CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN ITALY
Commando Superior based out of Rome looks after central Italy where it directly commands the 3rd and 7th armies. It also holds supreme command over all of the Italian armed forces. The 3rd Army based out of Taranto consists of one binary infantry division. The 7th Army based out of Naples and Rhegium consists of four binary infantry divisions. The 3rd and 7th Armies are reservists. Directly under its command is another binary infantry division, also a reserve, which is based out of Rome, known as the Riserva Centrale.

In Sicily, Army Group South which is based out of Palermo and Messina consists of two binary infantry divisions. All these divisions are reservists. Known as the "5th Army".

7d.jpg

Central and Southern Italy Theatre (plus Operation Siena the attack on Malta)

The key strategy in central and southern Italy (including Sardinia) is defence against seaborne French and British invasions. All of the major ports are covered by divisions with the exception of Cagliari in Sardinia. This port and its important airbase would be protected by the Riserva Centrale with would be transported from Rome as soon as possible. Rome would then be protected by a repositioning of the 20th Infantry Division 'Fruili'(part of the 7th Army) north from Naples.

The only planned offensive action in this sector would be the potential invasion of Malta. Here the 21st 'Granatieri di Sardegna' Infantry Division under the command of Major General Romero were earmarked for a potential amphibious assault on the small but strategic island. The assault would be supported by Italian air assets.

Regina Marina

Incessant patrolling by Italian naval bombers and submarines would destroy the British and French Mediterranean trade and supply routes.

7s.jpg

Submarine convoy patrol zones

The Regina Marina will attempt to engage and defeat the French Mediterranea Mediterraneann fleet in a sea battle and where possible smaller RN fleets. The Regina Marina will also be supported by Italian naval bombers and interceptors. Early on an attempt would be made to seize Malta through an amphibious landing by elements of the 7th Army. With the land forces securing all of their objectives, the French and British navies would be all but driven out of the Mediterranean, confined only to Gibraltar and perhaps Cyprus.

LIBYA

Egyptian Front
Sitting in Benghazi throughout the last six months were elements of the III and IV Corps, originally bound for the Ethiopian War but never transported. These units comprised of the 27th 'Sila' Infantry (III Corps), the 1st CCNN Blackshirts (III Corps) and the 5th CCNN Blackshirts (IV Corps). All three were triangular divisions and the 27th also had artillery support.

Based at Tobruk was the 102nd 'Trento' (binary) Division and the 7th CCNN 'Cirene' (square) Division. All of these elements were brought under the control of the I Libyan Corps of the newly formed X Army under the command of Prince Amedeo of Savoy, cousin to the king.

Balbo's plan was for the I Libyan Corps (102nd and the 7th CCNN) to lead to attack east over the Egyptian border. They would be supported by the 27th 'Sila' which would be reserved for the attack on Alexandria itself. The 1st CCNN Blackshirts would perform garrison duties in Cyrenaica.

The attack would also be backed up by the 6th Army and two of its divisions, the 1st Celere 'Eugenio do Savoia' and the 2nd Celere "Emanuele Filiberto'. These divisions were square. There fellow 6th Army Division, the 3rd Celere Division 'Principe Amedeo', was earmarked to support the Tunisian Front to the west.

When the Nile Delta was reached the plan was to surround and assault the British in Alexandria and Cairo. Once taken, the Suez western bank could either be defended or the Italians could push on over the canal into Palestine. The 2nd Celere "Emanuele Filiberto' Division was to swing south and follow the old railway line along the Nile. The aim was to drive right through to Khartoum cutting off British supplies from the north and linking up with the troops in Italian East Africa.

7f.jpg

Libyan Campaign

Tunisian Front
Based out of the Tarabulus (Tripoli) was the 2nd Libyan Division (militia) and 3rd Eritrean Division (irregulars). The 2nd Libyan Division would advance west across the French Tunisian border. Hugging the coast it would advance all the way to Tunisia. The 5th CCNN Blackshirts Division would advance west from Benghazi and perform garrison duties around Tripoli and Misrata. The troops would constitute the newly formed IX Army under the command General Pariani.

In addition, the Tarablus troops would be supported by 3rd Celere Division 'Principe Amedeo'. It would be landed along the coast and support and then lead the attack on French Tunisia and Algeria. Once again the aim was to deprive the French of their Mediterranean ports.

All of these units would serve under the II Libyan Corps.

ITALIAN EAST AFRICA (AOI)

Here the British commander appeared to have made a grave mistake by concentrating his entire force along the Sudan-Ethiopian border. British East Africa to the south appeared lightly defended and British Somaliland to the east was undefended.

The Almasy Gambit (Sudan)

Crucially Port Sudan was lightly defended, this would be the key to victory in the south. The old Cairo to Khartoum Railway had fallen out of favour after Lord Kitchener had won the Mahdist War. The line had opened a trade route from central Sudan through Egypt to the Mediterranean but it became uneconomic because of the distance and the need for trans-shipment via the Nile. In 1904 construction of a new line from Atbarah to the Red Sea was undertaken. In 1906 the new line reached recently built Port Sudan to provide a direct connection between Khartoum and the sea. The northern route fell into disrepair.

This was some of the key information that the famed Hungarian desert researcher Lszlo Almasy had provided Balbo. If the British forces in Sudan could be cut off from crucial supplies coming from Port Sudan in the north and likewise from their two key East African ports at Mobassa and Dar es Salaam in the south, they would be doomed.

The Western Lowlands Divisions objective was to spear north along the coast then take and hold the undefended Port Sudan. The III Corps would push northwest and then hook around to the south and take Khartoum cutting of crucial British supplies altogether.

7e21.jpg

AOI Campaign

Gondar-Jima Front (Western Ethiopia)
Here the plan was to hold the fresh and powerful British Divisions at bay, using the natural barriers of the Blue Nile, its tributaries and the western Ethiopian Highlands. An added advantage here was the damaged infrastructure from the war with the Ethiopians. This had not yet been repaired and would slow down any British advance. Once the British were cut off in both the north and the south they could be ground down with air and land attacks.

The defence will be left to the battered Eritrean Division and elements of the I and II Corps. All of these Divisions are currently spread throughout central and eastern Ethiopia following the final battle of the Abyssinian War. The Ovest Bassicampi Celere Division will push south and then west to cut off Sudan from British East Africa avoiding contact with enemy forces.

7e22.jpg

Tired divisions of the Eritrean, I and II Corps

na004096.jpg

A worried Messe, now Lt General of the Eritrean Corps

Jubaland Offensive (British East Africa (Kenya))
These lands appeared to be lightly defended and have been denuded of all British troops. The Libyan Division and the 6th CCNN Blackshirts Divisions will be able to sweep south and secure the ports of Mobassa and Dar es Salaam.

7e24.jpg

Old forces of the Southern Front, now designated for the Somaliland and Jubaland Offensives under the recently promoted General Frusci

Somaliland Offensive (British Somaliland and French Djobouti)
British Somaliland was completely undefended, its major port of Berbera could be taken easily.

French Djobouti was the big unknown of the AOI plan. Should the French join the war, they had their colony heavily defended by between two to four divisions (including mountaineers). Holding them in place was the biggest concern, a French drive north through the Dankalia Lowlands and into Asmara could bring down the entire Italian East African theatre.

The best plan against the French forces here was thought to be a little nipping attacks, holding actions, really an all out war of attrition. Before the war was declared on the British, a submarine flotilla would be rushed south through the Suez Canal and be used to cut off supply shipments to the French colony. It would be surrounded by Italian land forces, bombed into submission and then assaulted on all fronts.

The offensive would initiated from the southeast by the 30th and 19th Infantry Divisions of the I and II Corps respectively. Both divisions were in reasonable shape following the war with the Ethiopians. Once the Ogaden Divisions have conquered the undefended British Somaliland, they would swing west and hit Djibouti from the flank.

The final attack would be a combination of these divisions combined with an assault from the Eastern Lowlands Corps currently holding out in the Dankalia Low and Highlands to the west of Djibouti.

Regina Marina

In th Red Sea, the submarine flottila commanded by the Duke of the Sea, Thaon di Revel, would seek out British covoys moving through the Gate of Tears.

Out on the open Indian Ocean, Count Galeazzo Ciano with a flottila of modern destroyers would patrol the Mozambique Channel and attempt to intecept any allied convoys moving through the channel.

2825018387_cecff8e031_o.jpg

Sirena class Italian submarine

7e26.jpg

Convoy patrol zones in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden and the Mozambique Channel

300px-Freccia_CT.jpg

Freccia class destroyers under the command of Count Ciano

That is some deep planning right there. When you said you would push into Palestine if possible, would you seek to keep advancing until such a time where you can no longer advance, or just secure the eastern bank and the Sinai Peninsula?

Ambitious plan. Unfortunately plans only last until first contact with the enemy. I assume Balbo and Benito have a plan B, right? Also, I was playing a game in ICE. I was non-Axis, but attacked the British and French in 1940. I kicked the British out of the Med including Gibraltar, Malta and Suez. France was knocked out by Germany, then I offered a separate peace to the British. They were only too happy to accept, because under the peace deal they got back ALL of their possessions.* I hope your mod has some provision for a separate peace where Italy can gain some of these colonial gems. As always, great work. Keep it up.

* To be precise, I had the option to puppet Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Malta and Cyprus and this would result in territorial loss for the UK, including Malta, but the UK still got back Gibraltar and the Suez strip. So, there is no way to turn the Med. into an Italian lake without knocking out London.

Last edited:
That is some deep planning right there. When you said you would push into Palestine if possible, would you seek to keep advancing until such a time where you can no longer advance, or just secure the eastern bank and the Sinai Peninsula?

I would like to push all the way through to Beirut and deprive the British and French of all their ports (including Cyprus). I still dont know how I will go, as I expect to see British Armour storming through my lines at some stage. In my last game they came through Iraq and cut through my forces like a hot knife through butter. I was forced all the way back to Suez.

Ambitious plan. Unfortunately plans only last until first contact with the enemy. I assume Balbo and Benito have a plan B, right? Also, I was playing a game in ICE. I was non-Axis, but attacked the British and French in 1940. I kicked the British out of the Med including Gibraltar, Malta and Suez. France was knocked out by Germany, then I offered a separate peace to the British. They were only too happy to accept, because under the peace deal they got back ALL of their possessions.* I hope your mod has some provision for a separate peace where Italy can gain some of these colonial gems. As always, great work. Keep it up.

* To be precise, I had the option to puppet Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Malta and Cyprus and this would result in territorial loss for the UK, including Malta, but the UK still got back Gibraltar and the Suez strip. So, there is no way to turn the Med. into an Italian lake without knocking out London.

Plan B?, err, no. Plan B is get a peace, involve the Germans or fortress Italia. :)

Thanks for the heads up on the surrender problems. As you will see in the next update, I have a number of cores decisions that I hope will have some effect. If not, I will have to write a custom surrender event. I think the British would sue for peace if they lost Gibraltar, Malta, Egypt, Cyprus and Palestine. Surely their far east empire would be on the verge of doom without the canal.

Great AAR so far, best I've read in a while. I love playing Italy as well, something about doing well with a nation that histroically didn't perform so hot in ww2.

Thanks for compliment, its fun to write, something I havent done for many years.

I love the underdogs as well. :)

Alea iacta est, "The die has been cast"

All was ready, the trumped up charges of a border incident by the British on the Sudanese-Ethiopian border were rolled out to international community by the foreign ministers department. Along with it came various demands and the declaration of war.

7j.jpg

Diplomatic demands and declarations

Orders were resent out across the Empire and Mussolini flew north to Venice and announced the coming war with the Allies to the 6th Army. This Army was to spearhead the attacks west into Tunisia and east into Egypt.

mussolini.jpg

Mussolini announcing the war to the 6th Army from the top of a CV-33 tankette

The die had been cast.

Africa Orientale Italia (Italian East Africa)

Gondar-Jima Front (Western Ethiopia)
12th May: Amazingly the British were able to fire the first shot of the war. On the Sudanese-Ethiopian Border, AOI command (now under the newly promoted Marshal Graziani), were shocked to discover the British had already infiltrated Gondar and taken over the province. The 4th Blackshirts Division was immediately ordered to counterattack. The British attack appeared to be a mere feint, their forces falling back immediately after first contact, 5 British were killed for 2 Italians (I lost the screenshot of this one). Another British feint was attempted against Debre Markos across the Blue Nile but fizzled out like the attack to the north with minor casualties.

7l.jpg

Fall of Gondar and Battle of Debre Markos

hrphot_04c-10.jpg

Kenyan troops on the retreat along the Gondar-Jima Front

Somaliland Offensive (British Somaliland and French Djobouti)
12th May: On the southern border of Djibouti the 30th Infantry and 19th Infantry Division were ordered to attack north against the capital of the French colony. To the north, the Eastern Lowlands Division remained in their positions in the Dankalia Uplands and Lowlands and dug in. Further south, elements of the Ogaden Corps in Harar began their uncontested march into British Somaliland.

7n.jpg

The Somaliland Offensive begins

13th May: On the 13 May the French forces in Daddato province just north of Djibouti, launched an all-out three pronged attack into eastern Ethiopia and Eritrea. This area was defended by the Eastern Lowland Corps, further to the south in Serdo province the II Corps HQ was also caught up in the fighting against a full French Infantry Division. The French attack alarmed Marshal Graziani in Eritrea, if it could not be held in check…

7p.jpg

The French three-pronged counterattack from Daddato province

14th May: The 3rd Submarine Flotilla under the command of the Duke of the Sea, Theon di Revel slipped out of Massawa and began preying on the allied shipping in Bab-el-Mandeb. A French convoy was devastated on the first day, followed by a British convoy on the second day. Although these raids were already part of the “Drin drin plan” it was hoped that they could stem the flow of supplies to the French troops now attacking out of Djibouti.

7z.jpg

Di Revel does damage to the British and French trade fleets at the Gate of Tears.

Europe

Alpine Front
12th May: On the Alpine Front the Italian Alpine and Infantry Divisions, crossed the border and advanced against the French defences on the Little Maginot Line. As planned, the French defenders were caught unawares, their forces disorganised and undermanned. Air support, in the form of two Tactical Bombers wings, were launched and attacked the centre of the French line, Briancon. Here the first breakthrough was expected.

7m.jpg

Opening shots on the Alpine front

13th May: Soon after the assaults along the Alpine Front had begun bad weather moved in from the north. It rained or snowed for the next two days and the valleys were shrouded in dense fog. The stronger French forces in Albertville held their fortifications well against the 4th Alpine Division in the north. Likewise in the south the French forces were evenly matched against the attacking 2nd Infantry Division. They also held out well. With the bad weather, air support for the Italians was ineffective.

14th May: It was along the Briancon line that the Italians were making progress. Here Brunetti’s 3rd Infantry ‘Ravenna’ Division had pinned the French mountain division in their fortifications while elements of Giorgis’s 1st Alpine Division had crossed the border over difficult, snow-covered passes, descended down and emerged in the rear of the Briancon fortifications. The French mountain troops were thrown into disarray and heavy casualties inflicted.

file.php

3rd Infantry Division in action

15th May: Parts of the outflanked and encircled French fortifications in Briancon continued to resist and held out until darkness descended on the 15th. They then slipped away from their lines.

The French centre was shattered and the undermanned right flank was beginning to waver.

7aa.jpg

First Italian victory on the Alpine Front

12th May: French fighters were quickly scrambled and the battle for air supremacy raged throughout the Western Alps. The 1st Air Squadron under the command of Maj General Ajmone got the better of the outnumbered French fighters.

7r.jpg

Battle for the sky’s – Alpine Front

Later that evening the residents of Milan were awaked by a terrifying droning noise in the sky. Unknown bombers unleashed their payloads on the unsuspecting Milanese. Anti-aircraft emplacements were ineffective, some even damaged quite severely. At first the bombing appeared indiscriminate but afterwards it was thought that the Milanese heavy industry was being targeted.

701.jpg

The bombing of Milan

13th May: In the morning of the 13th the dreadful din of bomber squadrons was again heard over Milan. This time the Italian 1st Air Squadron was able to scramble and intercept the bombers but bad weather prevented a decisive result. The bombers were later identified as the new British Armstrong Whitworth Whitely’s.

7v.jpg

Air battles with the British and French bombers

images

Armstrong Whitworth Whitely’s being used by the British to bomb Milan

14th May: On the morning of the 14th May the 1st Air Squadron was twice able to intercept two French bomber wings dropping their payloads onto advancing Italian troops. In the afternoon, the 1st Squadron was again called into action, this time over the skies of Milan against the British Armstrong Whitworth Whitely’s carpet bombers. Pursuing them back into French territory, the enemy bombers were also set upon by the Italian escort interceptors. Despite the continuing bad weather some damage was inflicted to the enemy bombers.

Mediterranean Sea
12th May: Immediately after the declaration of war Italian submarine flotilla’s had quietly slipped from their moorings and began prowling the sea-lanes of the Mediterranean for British and French convoys. Taken by surprise the allies lost substantial shipping on the first days both in the central and eastern Mediterranean Sea

7s-1.jpg

Enemy convoy destruction

Meanwhile at Rome the 3rd Navy Squadron (including transport attachment) had disembarked with the Reserve Central Infantry Division onboard, bound for garrison duty at Cagliari in Sardinia. The French fleet out of Tunisia, lead by the battleships Ocean and Bretagne, engaged the 3rd Naval Squadron off the coast of Cagliari in a sea battle. With significant air support, the outgunned Italian fleet was able to hold its own and inflict considerable damage on the French destroyers screening the two French battleships. The French fleet was forced to retire back to Tunisia and then Cagliari received its new garrison.

7o.jpg

Sea battle in the Gulf of Tunis

In the Ionian Sea the 2nd Marine Squadron led by the battleship Caio Duilio was transporting the 1st elements of the 6th Army to Africa. At the same time worrying reports arrived from the submarine flotillas in the eastern Mediterranean regarding carrier based British fleets entering the Mediterranean through the Suez Canal.

7u.jpg

Signs of the RN in the eastern Mediterranean. In Africa, the 102nd 'Trento" and 7th Blackshirts Divisions have crossed the Egyptian border.

13th May: In the central Mediterranean, submarines on patrol picked up the ‘smell’ of a small British fleet heading for the straits of Messina. Alarmingly the 19th Marine Squadron was also heading for the straits from the opposite direction on route to pick up the 51st Infantry Division for the assault on Malta. The massive 1st Marine Squadron was quickly launched from Taranto in pursuit of the smaller British fleet. It was soon evident that the British were not interested in engaging with the Italians, they were actually on convoy duty. The fast British cruisers were able to get away unscathed as darkness descended but several ships in the convoy were sunk.

7w.jpg

The chase through the straits of Messina

15th May: After dodging the British cruisers two day earlier, the 19th Marine Squadron had collected the 51st Infantry Division from Rhegium at the toe of Italy and proceeded to Malta. The transport squadron was escorted by the huge 1st Marine Squadron. At precisely 12 noon the amphibious assault against the heavily fortified Malta began.

7x.jpg

Amphibious assault of Malta

The previous day the 2nd Marine Squadron had disembarked elements of the 6th Army at Tobruk and was steaming north back to Venice when it fell in with a British transport fleet and its destroyer escorts in the seas off Cape Matapan on the Peloponnese coast. After a brief exchange of fire and evasion maneuvers, the British fleet fled.

7y.jpg

Sea skirmish off Cape Matapan

So ended the first four days of fighting.

Things seem to be going well so far, lets just hope you can get to the Suez before your troops in Eithiopia run out of supplies, and your subs at the Gate of Tears run out of fuel.

Things seem to be going well so far, lets just hope you can get to the Suez before your troops in Ethiopia run out of supplies, and your subs at the Gate of Tears run out of fuel.

Its going well but it is early days. The supply 'spectre' hangs heavily over my East African forces. The 1st Division 'Eugenio di Savoia' in Libya moves pretty fast, I hope it can get to the Suez quickly enough

If those French mountaineers take Ed, things will get ugly in East Africa very quickly.

Italy has two ports in Eritrea in my mod, a minor one at Ed and a major one at Asmara(Massawa). "The Italian colonialists had nevertheless built Massawa to become the largest and safest port on the east coast of Africa, and the largest deep-water port on the Red Sea." The port in Ed represents the minor port of Assab.

This means the French will have to drive all the way to Asmara the Eritrean capital to cut off the port of Massawa. This is only defended by a couple of HQ units and is a major worry.

Fall of the Little Maginot Line and the Battle for Malta

Europe
Alpine Front
The battle for the supremacy for the skies over the Alpine Front had turned into a war of attrition. The 1st Air Squadron was continuous scrambling to meet French attacked as they threw everything they had into the battle. The bad weather hindered any decisive battles but the continuous attacks were beginning to strain the resources of the 1st Air Squadron, the 1st Wing taking some casualties, mainly from weather and fatigue rather than actual air to air combat.

8c-airwarAlpineFront.jpg

The air war on the north continues

19th May: After the Italian victory at Briancon, the Italian bombers turned their attention to Albertville in the north. After a valiant defence in the first days of the war, this proved too much for the French, their fortification line was blasted to pieces, then their line began to thin out and their ill-preparation began to show. With more Italian troops joining the front from the rear, “the dam burst” and the French troops were in full retreat. The superior numbers of French defenders in Albertville showed in the casualty statistics.
12_Janus.jpg

Janus Fort of the Little Maginot Line

Briancon in the centre of the Alpine Front had now been secured by the elements of the 1st and the 4th Army.

20th May: In the south at Barcelonnette, the battle went a little slower. Without the air support, the troops in this sector had to do it the hard way. They did however outnumber the French significantly. As the 1st Infantry and 2nd Alpine Divisions were able to broaden the front alongside the 2nd Infantry, it was only a matter of time before the breakthrough and rout. A number of French units were cut off and slaughtered in the valleys during their ‘strategic withdrawal’.

The Alpine Front (Little Maginot Line) had fallen.

7h-falloftheAlpinefront.jpg

The Little Maginot Line has fallen

21st May: With the centre of the French line broken several days ago, the Italian were able to push more and more divisions into the gap at the centre. The 22nd Infantry Division had advanced westward into Le Bourg-d’Oisans, nipping at the heels of the General Fayolle’s Army of the Alps headquarters units.

8i.jpg

The Italian 1st Army pushing on

The Mediterranean
In the central Mediterranean, the convoy war continued. The British convoys had all but disappeared throughout the entire Mediterranean but the French were still active. Finally after the initial shock of the declaration of war, they had scrambled the submarine flotilla’s and of the Gulf of Tunis inflicted serious damage against Italian shipping heading from Sardinia to Sicily.

The Italians were able to strike back and sink an entire convoy and its escorts off Corsica. Further to this, more French shipping sailing out of their southern mainland ports was devastated.

8a-convoyscentralMed.jpg

17th May: The 51st Infantry Division was still being ferried across to the southern shore of Malta and battling ashore under fire from the British Garrison. In support, Italian light bombers dominated the skies over the island and unleashed their payloads on all targets. Suddenly and without warning a substantial RN fleet appeared on the horizon. The massive Italian 1st Naval Squadron lumbered into action ad intercepted the fleet and naval bombers were re-routed. The real Battle of Malta began.

BombDamageMalta.jpg

Bombing of Malta

After initial Italian successes against the British destroyers screening their heavy cruisers, the British suddenly realised they were outgunned on both the ocean and in the skies and slipped north aiming for the Grand Harbour at Valletta peninsula. The Italian cruisers followed in hot pursuit right up to the harbour entrance until the RM Bari took a direct hit from the British onshore batteries and was sunk.

Later the Italian 2nd submarine flotilla which had been cruising for convoys in this throughout the first week of the war was brought into play for additional defence.

8f-battleformalta.jpg

Battle for Malta

ts

RM Bari goes under

18th May: At sunset on the next day another RN fleet appeared on the horizon, this fleet was lead by the British battleship HMS Revenge and the French carrier HMS Argus with destroyers for protection. As it was engaged by the Italian 1st Naval Squadron, it then became obvious that they were also accompanied by a French submarine flotilla. A savage fight ensued and the Italian light cruiser Taranto was damaged along with a few Italian destroyers. Worse still the British ASW techniques proved deadly against the old Argonauta-class subs of the Italian Italian 2nd Submarine Flotilla. Around 5 went down and many others were badly damaged.

In the air, the Italian naval bombers swooped down on the Anglo-French fleet and locked into a brutal battle for the skies against the French CAG’s of the HMS Argus. With the naval bombers fairing badly, the light bomber squadrons assaulting Malta itself was brought in the fray. The French CAGS suffered some damage but the Italian Naval Bomber Squadrons were devastated losing up to half of their numbers. This did not bode well for the future.

Despite this the British fleet fled the battle and in the confusion the fleet docked at Malta was also able to slip away unharmed.

8h-battleformalta2.jpg

Second sea battle off Malta

North Africa
Egyptian Border
On the Egyptian border the 102nd ‘Trento’ Infantry Division lead the way into Egypt, with the 7th Blackshirts trailing behind. Bringing up the rear, was the 1st Division ‘Eugenio di Savoia’ . It had recently disembarked at Tubrok and was making up good ground on the other two divisions.

Tunisian Border
On the Tunisian Border, the 2nd Libyan and 3rd Eritrean Divisions had left Tripoli on their march east to the Tunisian border.

8e-Libya.jpg

Italian progress on the Tunisian and Egyptian borders

AOI
Sudanese Border
On the Sudanese border the Ost Bassacampi Corps was pushing north towards Port Sudan. The 2nd Blackshirts Division (III-AOI Corps) under the command of Lt General Ricci had been transported into the Eritrean Highlands by train, disembarked and now hit west across the border against the British Tanganyikan Colonial Division. The 2nd Blackshirts Division was slated for the capture of Khartoum.

The 5th Infantry Division (also of the III-AOI Corps) following up behind, it was to aim northwest bypassing Khartoum and cutting off rail links and river traffic coming down the Nile.

8g-Sudan.jpg

The Sudanse-Eritrean border

19th May: Despite the earlier retreat by the British in Gondar, they had reinforced the position with colonial troops from their Sudanese garrison and a battle still waged for control of the province. The 4th Blackshirts Division was still leading the fighting but they had also been joined by the 4th Eritrean Division.

Further to the south on the 19th May the British 23rd Indian Division began an assault on the dug in positions of the 1st Arab-Somali and worn out 5th Alpine Division in Nek’emte province in Ethiopia. Protected by the Dinder River and the Ethiopian Highlands, this would be a tough position to crack.

8j-Sudan.jpg

The Sudanese-Ethiopian border

Indian-troops-cross-the-atbara-river-595x353.jpg

The 23rd Indian Division advancing across the Dinder River

21st May to 22nd May: Back in the north, the 2nd CCNN Division was still heavily engaged with the Tanganyikan Colonial Division which was stubbornly holding its ground in the desert lands of Kassala, with the assistance of British bomber squadrons based out of Khartoum.

While this battle had been in progress the 5th Infantry Division had pushed northwest into Herbagat and taken control of the railway station. This manoeuvre had cut off Khartoum and the British troops to the south from the main supply route from Port Sudan. The 5th Infantry Division then swung south and hit the British colonial troops in the flank. The result was a forgone conclusion.

8m.jpg

Battle for Kassala

French Somaliland
17th May to 19th May: The French breakout continued in the north as the beleaguered Est Bassacmpi Corps tenuously hung onto its positions in the Dankalia uplands and lowlands. In the south, de Stefanis continued to lead the attack of the 30th and the 19th against the French positions in Djibouti. After several days of fighting the unprepared French troops began to fall back after sustaining heavy casualties.

8d-battleforFS.jpg

Italians victorious in Djibouti

w11_3c03800u.jpg

Italian soldiers of the 19th 'Venezia' Infantry Division fighting in French Somaliland.

21st May: Eight days after the initial French attack into the mountains of Serdo, the brave defenders of II Corp HQ were eventually forced to fall back. Many of them were killed during the retreat. In the uplands and lowlands of the Dankalia, the Est Bassacampi Corps continue to hold out under determined French resistance.

8l.jpg

Retreat of di Pralmormo's II Corps

Red Sea
At the Gate of Tears the Duke of the Sea continued to successfully pretty on British convoys heading to and from India. There was no sign of RN.

8b-convoysbabal-Man.jpg

Destruction of three British convoys at the Gate of Tears

Mozambique Channel
Further to the south, at the Mozambique Channel, the first reports of the activities of Galaezzo Ciano's destroyers began to filter in. Although know definitive information was available, significant damage had also been inflicted on allied shipping in the channel.

8n-mc.jpg

Damage to allied convoys in the Mozambique Channel

Very interesting. I see that you added another port in northern Eritrea. That's good, because it looks like you are going to lose Ed. However, this may play to your benefit. The French will expend their energy advancing north, while di Stefanis continues his advance from the south, cutting them from their supply port. Then both the French and the British (after you took Port Sudan) should start to wither on the vine.

I fear for your Malta invasion force. It looks like it will take some time for the 51st to wear down the garrison, and I suspect the French and British navies are gathering to deliver some hurt.

Good progress in southern France. I suspect it will take them a while for them to get their tanks down there.

Last edited:
Like tommylotto said before me, good progress on all fronts, except for the malta invasion. Maybe your invasion towards the Suez will draw enough attention that the British will have to pull troops from the Ethiopian-Sudan border to adress it, thus enabling you to advance from there as well.

Very interesting. I see that you added another port in northern Eritrea. That's good, because it looks like you are going to lose Ed. However, this may play to your benefit. The French will expend their energy advancing north, while di Stefanis continues his advance from the south, cutting them from their supply port. Then both the French and the British (after you took Port Sudan) should start to wither on the vine.

I think you will be pretty close to the money on French Somaliland, although I still haven’t finished them off yet. The will be doing it tough without supplies, as I have been convoy raiding right outside their port.

There are still the southern ports of Mobassa and Dar es Salaam. My divisions in the south are not moving as fast as I thought, maybe low organization slows units down. Time will tell how this effects those British Divisions in South Sudan.

I fear for your Malta invasion force. It looks like it will take some time for the 51st to wear down the garrison, and I suspect the French and British navies are gathering to deliver some hurt.

Good progress in southern France. I suspect it will take them a while for them to get their tanks down there.

Like tommylotto said before me, good progress on all fronts, except for the malta invasion. Maybe your invasion towards the Suez will draw enough attention that the British will have to pull troops from the Ethiopian-Sudan border to adress it, thus enabling you to advance from there as well.

I agree progress is good all round, I am very happy so far. Ten days into the war, its very unclear. Tank divisions scare me. :eek: The conclusion to the battle of Malta and its consequences will be coming up shortly.

I am hoping to trap the British forces in Sudan, so that they cant reinforce the Suez. Taking Port Sudan is the first step, Khartoum is the second.

this is interesting indeed, this whole AAR is interesting. you detail has always fascinated me :)

Thanks mate. Wait till you see the detail in my Malta post.

Last edited:
Operazione C3 – the invasion and fall of Malta

Operation C3 involved the initial landing of elements of the 31st Infantry Brigade (of the 51st 'Siena' Division) on the eastern shore of the main island, known as ‘Group Dragonslayer’. Here sandy undefended bays between St. Thomas Bay and St. George Bay would allow the forward elements to establish beachheads. The first objective of Group Dragonslayer was to push northwest and take the town of Zetjun. If a relief force was rushed south from Valletta it could be attacked on the flank from this position. The second objective was to hook south and secure the harbour of St. Georges Bay for the main landing force.

8d-Malta.jpg

Operation C3

220px-Supplying_and_developing_the_beachhead.jpg

Group Dragonslayer taking one of the beaches on the eastern shore of Malta.

On the south coast, elements of the 32nd Infantry Brigade (also of the 51st 'Siena' Divison), known as Group Regulus would use smaller landing craft to beach at a stream at the back of a rocky cove. This small force would head west and attack St. George Bay from this direction. It was also thought that the second landing force would confuse and perhaps overstretch the limited resources of the small Maltese garrison forces.

Once St. George‘s Bay was secured, the main force of the 51st ‘Siena’ Division could land and drive northwest and take the capital Valetta.

Anti-aircraft-position-at-Malta-595x632.jpg

British anti aircraft position overlooking the Grand Harbour at Valetta

19th May: After the sea battle off Malta, early in the morning of the 19th May, the fleets of the Regina Marina guarding the landing, found themselves without air protection. The naval bombers assigned for naval strikes had been mauled terribly in the previous battles and were now currently out of action. Likewise, the light bombers, originally involved in shelling Malta itself, had also been thrown into the sea battle and had taken a lot of casualties.

The order was quickly sent out to scramble fresh air support from the Alpine Front and the 3rd Air Squadron was sent southward. This squadron consisted of a wing of Fiat Cr.32 interceptors and a wing of Savoia-Marchetti SM.81 tactical bombers.

The initial orders of the 3rd Air Squadron was to continue the bombing of Malta and hopefully facilitate and easier landing of the 51st ‘Siena’ Division. Should they be required, the interceptors would provide cover for the Regina Marina.

By 10am on the 19th both Group Dragonslayer and Group Regulus had achieved their landing objectives. The small Maltese garrison forces as St Georges Bay were soon encircled and overwhelmed. The docks at St Georges Bay had been secured. Some casualties were sustained on the Italian side, mainly by drowning as ad hoc landing crafting consisting of fishing boats and barges were dashed against the rocky shores of the island.

8-aMalta.jpg

Landing objectives achieved

20th May: Throughout the 20th of May, the British Royal Air Force was nowhere to be seen and the newly arrived 3rd Air Squadron ruled the skies. It turned its attention on the defensive positions of the Maltese Garrison forces. A Maltese relief force was sent south from Valetta but the Italian planes tore them apart and sent them scurrying for cover. If the garrison forces were dug in, they dropped their payloads on the medieval forts of Valetta shattering the moral of the garrison and the residents of the capital.

maltar2.jpg

AA fire over Valetta

8b-Malta.jpg

The Aeronautica Militare rip apart the besieged garrison

maltar1.jpg

Ammo dump hit in Valetta

With two good beachheads established in the southeast of the island, there was no stopping the 51st Infantry Division. Pushing northwest it overwhelmed the battered garrison at Valetta. The British RN ships still docked in the two harbours were already on standby to leave as refugees begged to be taken on board. Casting off they left behind an island they had ruled for 122 years.

valleta.jpg

Ancient Valetta

8c-Malta.jpg

The surrender of Malta

Henceforth, the landlubbing Tuscan troops of the 51st 'Siena' Division would now be known as 'Malta' as a commemoration of their victory.
The capture of Malta did not come without cost to the Regina Marina. A flotilla of submarines and destroyers were lost. In addition, the main battle fleet, the 1st, sustained moderate damage while the transport fleet, the 19th sustained severe damage.

8f-Malta.jpg

The fleets directly involved in the Battle for Malta (22nd May)

The Aeronautica Militare suffered worse. The naval bomber squadrons took heavy losses across the board, while the light bomber squadrons took moderate losses. The Chief of the Air Force Giuseppe Valle wondered whether they could ever recover from this position while the war continued. He wondered whether Malta was worth it.

8e-Malta.jpg

The state of the Aeronautica Militare on the 22nd May

Malta, a great modern Phyrrhic Victory if there ever was one, maybe not in terms of men lost, but in terms of ships and planes unable to operate for some time now. Now on to Cyprus!!