• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is actually very interesting. I shall be following.

So is this set in an alternative world where it became a Francophone planet?

This statement is probably not that incorrect unless Burgundian moved from just a dialect of French to an independent language. English for certain is only a regional language relegated to the English people in England.(The Anglois which are those English who believe in a more French culture speak either English and French or solely French.)

Of course NezzeOne gives a perfect summary of the events that lead to a world where French replaces English as the widespread language. :p

Well, I'm not entirely sure if French is the dominant language in Divergences. It has plenty of languages to compete against. Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish (Or just Scandinavian. I'm not sure if they'd all be merged into one due to Scandinavia's existance), plus Spanish and Portuguese due to how wide-spread Spain's colonial holdings are. I mean, sure, there are lots of French speaking areas, but beyond that I don't know how important French would be to learn. The Dual-Monarchy and Burgundy are the top two GPs, yes, but they're not -that- far ahead of countries like Bohemia or Scandinavia.

To go back on topic: Do the mighty Seven Republics have any intentions of invading Lusitania? They're rather weak since Gran Columbia just collapsed, right? Seems like easy pickings.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not entirely sure if French is the dominant language in Divergences. It has plenty of languages to compete against. Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish (Or just Scandinavian. I'm not sure if they'd all be merged into one due to Scandinavia's existance), plus Spanish and Portuguese due to how wide-spread Spain's colonial holdings are. I mean, sure, there are lots of French speaking areas, but beyond that I don't know how important French would be to learn. The Dual-Monarchy and Burgundy are the top two GPs, yes, but they're not -that- far ahead of countries like Bohemia or Scandinavia.

To go back on topic: Do the mighty Seven Republics have any intentions of invading Lusitania? They're rather weak since Gran Columbia just collapsed, right? Seems like easy pickings.

Badboy issues XD I am actually planning to take Florida and the Bahamas from Venice, it;s only a colony so 2.5 instead of 10 BB...

I'm gonna post a bland update tonight, I'm now in January 1846 ;) but I got HoI3 which is also interesting!

Chapter 5 - Amai! Zotte goesting (1844-1845)

1846Election1.png

July 1844

The Seven Republics are once again up for another election. After having served two terms in a row, president Jacques Lahune has decided to withdraw from serving the highest office in the country any longer. Even though formally he could still go for it, it has been generally accepted as common courtesy to give others a chance after 9 years as President. For the Parti Conservateur Alphonse Fallon will be running, for the Parti Patriote we have Marc du Cavalier and for the Parti de la Nation we have once again Jean Beaucomp trying to get into the office.

1846Election2.png

The first debate: a religion issue

These elections were a terrible strain on the candidates in the past, but the increase in railway infrastructure made possible during Lahune's time in office has made it much easier to travel around the country and make so-called 'whistle stops' in small towns next to the bigger debates in the larger cities.

1846Election3.png

The second debate, taking place in Tuskgi, once again about religion

1846Election4.png

Debate three, what to do about immigrants.

The sentiment throughout the country seemed to favor heavily towards the nation's military standpoints. Many people were either pro military or jingoistic. This is highly favorable towards the Parti Conservateur, they have a pro military standpoint and it will be easy for them to rake in the votes this way.

1846Election5.png

And there is the first military debate.

1846Election6.png

Yet religion remains the main focus of the campaign.

1846Election7.png

These farmers on the other hand are anti military and concerned with the economy.

Towards the end of the year, trying to ride the election sensation news coverage, there have been reports of bad schooling and the creation of a farmer's bank.

1846Discr.png

1846Election8.png

Debate number seven, how are the candidates managing to keep up with the electorate one might wonder.

1846Election9.png

The final debate, religion of course, is an influential one.

Finally, Christmas rolls around, and the new year starts off with a new upper house and a new president. Not very surprisingly, Alphonse Fallon manages to take the election and is president for at least 54 months.

1846Election10.png

Electorate results, and our newly elected chief.

After the debacle of the Congress of Andagoya, foreign policy has reflected towards strengthening relations with the newly created countries. Because of a shared border with Lusitania, our diplomatic influence was a lot more effective there, and resulted in an alliance signed just before the year ended, making it President Lahune's last act as president.

1846Lusi.png

We welcome our new friends into an alliance.

In hindsight, 1845 proved to be a reasonably uneventful year. The biggest news came in April, as our colonization effort proved effective in another area, adding it to the grand Seven Republics.

1846Colony1.png

Terres-Maha, a new place to settle.

Our nation's thinkers have steadily kept advancing our ideas and technologies, culminating in 1845 in Ideological Thought.

1846Research.png

Both in the arts and in literature a lot has been happening in the Old World. A prime example is German Romanticism, and nationalistic voices have decided that it is time for a Septimani Romanticist movement in arts and literature.

Caspar_David_Friedrich_032.jpg

Beautiful painting, Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, by Casper David Friedrich.

With the increases in size and infrastructure throughout the country, issues about local road signage are still prevalent.

1846Roads.png

Shouldn't that be Rome?

And once again, Christmas rolled around, and the country was still at peace. President Fallon's current policies suggest that this will remain so in the coming years. But only time will tell.

1846UH.png

The 1846 upper house sees a big increase in liberalism.

1846influence.png

Foreign policy at its finest.

This concludes another chapter in the history books on the Seven Republics.

Last edited:
Nice! When I played Vinland a couple of months back(my first real divergences game), gran Colombia held together. Nice seeing the splinter states for the first time. Go Ame.......the seven republics. :p

Everyone thanks for your well-wishing words :) I just upgraded my photobucket account because you bastards sucked my bandwidth limit from the site within half a month :p and continuing would make it worse XD

it should be updated soon, and in the mean time I'm gonna play some more :)

Chapter 6 - La Vie, l'Univers et le Reste (1846&1847)

Nouvelle Bruges, Isle de Longue, Nouveau Flandre, les Sept Républiques, Arcadia.
The year is 1846, and President Fallon is overlooking the ships in the harbor. A plan is brewing, and he just needs approval from Congress. The year had started very uneventful, only a report from the University of Philippa concerning a new doctrine, Egalitarianism.

1848discovery1.png

First of hopefully many discoveries the coming years.

Then, at the beginning of May, a storm was stirring on the horizon. Documents were prepared by the administration, rifles were cleaned, and ships were prepared. Congress had given the go-ahead and thus the nation was being readied. In the mean time, word reached the President about citizens not being allowed into a foreign country. Outrage was the tone in Congress on the 7th of May.

1848outrage1.png

Angry threats were sent via letters to Ethiopia but not much more could be done.

The success story of the Seven Republics, whose name should be changed by now because of its increased size, has rippled around the globe. Several other nations also believe that they can make it to the top, to the stage that is the world.

1848Russia.png

Continued expansion of these two countries could mean disaster in the future.

In June, tragedy struck the nation. With child labor still abundant, a little girl died in a mine in Tobol. A day of national mourning was issued.

1848tragedy.png

Sadness struck the land.

July 1st, the ships were in position, and the President gave the order to attack. The Republics were at war! By August, forces were already occupying St Augustine, unjustly possessed by evil Venice!

1848war1.png

Occupation forces in the south.

September brings varied news to the offices of President Alphonse Fallon. First, we made another breakthrough discovery, this time Rationalism.

1848discovery2.png

Many great thinkers and students are going to universities around the nation this year.

Reports from the western frontier also reach New Bruges, we now share a border with the Chinese colonists to Arcadia.

1848colony1.png

Focus is being placed towards more clergymen from now on.

One week later, and the President actually received hilarious news about the war with Venice. It seems that diplomats have managed to persuade other European countries to exploit our 'distraction' and go to war on their own!

1848war2.png

Alliance cascade, Venice won't like this.

The end of the year rolled around, and more discoveries were made!

1848discovery3.png

Collectivism and Constitutionalism in November, and Individualism in December.

1848uh1.png

The steady march upwards by the Liberals.

We had not seen any Venetian troops in our part of the world yet, but early in January our fleet was engaged by the only two boats in their fleet. We defeated them without taking any damage.

1848war3.png

Guns a-blazing.

Our occupation being finished, troops were loaded onto our transports, and a long trip towards Terra d'Oro in Africa was envisioned. In the mean time, we colonized another part of Arcadia near the end of March.

1848colony2.png
Once again, promotion towards clergymen will be taking over our colonization efforts.

Those vile Spaniards! They have crossed into our borders somewhere, and we could be forced to take action! Angry letters were written to the Spanish court, but in the end no action was undertaken out of fear for the Spanish Armada, a problem not faced against the Venetians.

1848placeinthesun.png

Septima Fury was conceived to take Habana from Spain, but in the end it wasn't executed.

And finally in May, our Colonization efforts in Arcadia were finished! Focus was now switched towards promoting statehood in the territories created over the past years.

1848colony3.png

Tjornin, proud to be a part of the Republics.

July 12th, and we finally completed our Romanticist culture, or at least the theory behind it. We change our research this time towards military prowess.

1848technology.png

Muzzle-loaded rifles were found in abandoned armories in Venetian St. Augustine, reverse engineering would speed up our own research tenfold.

After the Swiss had abandoned their Venetian allies in both their wars, Venice was starting to collapse. Near the end of July, they finally relinquished control of their Arcadian holdings.

1848war4.png

Our starting occupation of Terra d'Oro was the final push needed.

1848war5.png

Peace!

The rest of 1847 was good, yet uneventful. The weather was exceptionally good that summer, and it lasted well into October. Our diplomats had been working non-stop though to convince fellow Arcadians to join our sphere, and we got one step closer.

1848influence.png

Lusitania became friendly earlier in the year.

1848discovery4.png

November and another discovery, this time the principle of Social Justice.

In December, President Fallon had given the order to expand the navy, by adding another four commercial raiders to the fleet. Production was expected to take the better time of a year though, but the acquisition of St. Augustine left us no choice.

1848uh2.png

The start of 1848, more Liberals, and a nice overview of the expanded nation as it stands now.

-End of chapter six.-

I have to agree, whenever I've played Divergences as either the Seven Republics or Plantagenia I always try (and generally fail) to make approximately the USA because otherwise the borders just look weird to me, although I might be biased being American and all.

I have to agree, whenever I've played Divergences as either the Seven Republics or Plantagenia I always try (and generally fail) to make approximately the USA because otherwise the borders just look weird to me, although I might be biased being American and all.

I feel the same way, even though I'm not American.