• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Regina

Lt. General
5 Badges
Jan 29, 2008
www.paradoxdevelopmentstudio.com
  • Majesty 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
Paradox Interactive is happy to announce that a new series of video developer diaries has launched about strategy title Sengoku, due for release on PC in Q3 2011. The first video, available today, is part one in a four-part series.

In this deep character-driven strategy game, you play as the head of an illustrious Samurai family. The year is 1467, and with civil war breaking out, the authority of the Ashikaga Shoguns has collapsed and it is every man for himself in the provinces. Honor and duty clash with survival in the delicate dance of power, conquest, and betrayal as you attempt to unite the Land of the Rising Sun.
Make treacherous deals with foreign powers, send your powerful Samurai armies into battle against your enemies, and unleash shadowy Ninja clans under cover of darkness to assassinate your rivals!

View the first video developer interview here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_f6GFqaCNE

Read the written developer diaries here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?460-senguko

[video=youtube;W_f6GFqaCNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_f6GFqaCNE[/video]

Check out the latest Sengoku developments:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SengokuGame
Twitter: http://twitter.com/sengokugame
Webpage: http://www.sengokugame.com
Forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com

It sounded like you could create your own.. thats almost too good to be true though.
Also can the small lords break away and become independent whenever they want to as well, then slowly build up power to create its own clan?

It sounded like you could create your own.. thats almost too good to be true though.
Also can the small lords break away and become independent whenever they want to as well, then slowly build up power to create its own clan?

Only clans are independent. In order to become independent, they need to build up enough strength to break away, one way or another.

How intriguing. I hope there will be plenty of events, decisions, or other sorts of flavor-building elements around the clan aspect of the game, as it seems that it could be Sengoku's main unique "thing" in terms of gameplay.

Last edited:
How intriguing. I hope there will be plenty of events, decisions, or other sorts of flavor-building elements around the clan aspect of the game, as it seems that it could be Sengoku's main unique "thing" in terms of gameplay.

Yes, a lot of inner clan conflict should be driven by decision and event.

In any sengoku game I have never experienced such an interesting clan system!

EDIT:
I remarked that Hatamoto instead of Kokujin is still used for the lank of local lords under daimyos...

Last edited:
EDIT:
I remarked that Hatamoto instead of Kokujin is still used for the lank of local lords under daimyos...

Movies rarely premier on the day of shooting ;)

Movies rarely premier on the day of shooting ;)

So the current alpha version has many developments from what this movie shows? It is... great!!

Simply connecting this opportunities with some relations to ninja clans if you are a samurai in the IGA or KII province you can imagine how you can make your way up from a simple hatamoto to a more formidable samurai retainer of a great clan lord. If you do it the right way you can still marry the daughter of a clan leader like the Hattori or if you are from Hattori descendancy you could simply marry inside the Oda or Tokugawa clan or perhaps inside the Ashikaga clan to become once a mighty samurai inside your clan and can get some decent titles from the Shogun. But what would happen if you will be outcasted or if your clan leader will be outcasted like it happened to Akechi Mitsuhide and his retainers/hatamotos...??

Then you will be a Ronin...but in this case you should get some different opportunities like becoming a Wakou or Ronin chieftain and getting your own hidden hideout or if possible as Wakou you could get your own small island fiefdom from which you can operate and offer your services or you directly offer your services to another samurai leader or smaller clan and then you can be becoming hatamoto again if you proven your worth to your new lord.

For my own opinion it would be very interesting to get more information about the possible backgrounds of my starting samurai. Is it possible to have a peasant or ashigaru background or even a merchant or laborer background or perhaps a monk background like Uesugi Kenshin or a Ninja background like Hattori Hanzo? Is it eventually possible to get a background similar to Miyamoto Musashi and make your own way to become a Legend - a Kensai...???

Simply some ideas...For example having a merchant background should give you some good administrative traits for overseeing villages or cities. Having a smith background should give you some good traits for unlocking special smith buildings like legendary master smiths. Having a peasant background should give you some traits improving farming output...I think you will understand...Combine that with the possibility to send your male child and heir to either another samurai or a even a clan leader or even to a monastery fostering your child or to a legendary samurai or a famous general if you have some good relations. Even sending your heir to another clan as a hostage should improve his career and his abilities and traits related to the eventual unique abilities of that clan or samurai leader. Your heir could even get his bride from that other clan and therefore improve the relations between your clan and the other one...

There could be many possibilities to become an influential samurai leader of your time...Even Toyotomi Hideyoshi dreamed as Taiko about the future of his family and hoped for his heir to become even Shogun because his heir has a better status in the Samurai society as his father had...

I personally hope for some more possibilities...I would prefer to become a great samurai with some Ninja qualities and even getting some status so that my upcoming heirs could become perhaps Shogun at the end of this period. But even only becoming a certain legendary Wakou Lord or even a legendary Kensai like Musashi will be fulfilling my personal dreams with this game...

greetings

Mike

I have to say I didn't think much of this game when I first heard about it (Right around when Shogun TW was coming out, which is also a VERY good TW game!) but the more I hear/read about it the happier I am- I really hope it does a lot of things different other than the cultural stuff, etc thank Crusader Kings 2 ..er, too.

But so far sounds good! Will love to serve my clan honorably! Or, you know- kill them and start my own- It DOES sound like you form your own crest...it would be cool if it wasn't automated- even if it's a simple design studio.

Simply connecting this opportunities with some relations to ninja clans if you are a samurai in the IGA or KII province you can imagine how you can make your way up from a simple hatamoto to a more formidable samurai retainer of a great clan lord. If you do it the right way you can still marry the daughter of a clan leader like the Hattori or if you are from Hattori descendancy you could simply marry inside the Oda or Tokugawa clan or perhaps inside the Ashikaga clan to become once a mighty samurai inside your clan and can get some decent titles from the Shogun. But what would happen if you will be outcasted or if your clan leader will be outcasted like it happened to Akechi Mitsuhide and his retainers/hatamotos...??

Then you will be a Ronin...but in this case you should get some different opportunities like becoming a Wakou or Ronin chieftain and getting your own hidden hideout or if possible as Wakou you could get your own small island fiefdom from which you can operate and offer your services or you directly offer your services to another samurai leader or smaller clan and then you can be becoming hatamoto again if you proven your worth to your new lord.

For my own opinion it would be very interesting to get more information about the possible backgrounds of my starting samurai. Is it possible to have a peasant or ashigaru background or even a merchant or laborer background or perhaps a monk background like Uesugi Kenshin or a Ninja background like Hattori Hanzo? Is it eventually possible to get a background similar to Miyamoto Musashi and make your own way to become a Legend - a Kensai...???

Simply some ideas...For example having a merchant background should give you some good administrative traits for overseeing villages or cities. Having a smith background should give you some good traits for unlocking special smith buildings like legendary master smiths. Having a peasant background should give you some traits improving farming output...I think you will understand...Combine that with the possibility to send your male child and heir to either another samurai or a even a clan leader or even to a monastery fostering your child or to a legendary samurai or a famous general if you have some good relations. Even sending your heir to another clan as a hostage should improve his career and his abilities and traits related to the eventual unique abilities of that clan or samurai leader. Your heir could even get his bride from that other clan and therefore improve the relations between your clan and the other one...

There could be many possibilities to become an influential samurai leader of your time...Even Toyotomi Hideyoshi dreamed as Taiko about the future of his family and hoped for his heir to become even Shogun because his heir has a better status in the Samurai society as his father had...

I personally hope for some more possibilities...I would prefer to become a great samurai with some Ninja qualities and even getting some status so that my upcoming heirs could become perhaps Shogun at the end of this period. But even only becoming a certain legendary Wakou Lord or even a legendary Kensai like Musashi will be fulfilling my personal dreams with this game...

greetings

Mike

You're either very confused about the game, or I am- you basically start OUT as leader of a castle- not just some smith, etc. RPG style. Think Crusader Kings. (Though I would LOVE an AWESOME Modern remake of Sword of the Samurai (Or whatever it was called)- that would be epic. EPIC.)

You're either very confused about the game, or I am- you basically start OUT as leader of a castle- not just some smith, etc. RPG style. Think Crusader Kings. (Though I would LOVE an AWESOME Modern remake of Sword of the Samurai (Or whatever it was called)- that would be epic. EPIC.)

I am not so confused as you may think because my thoughts are going the same way like yours. As an old grognard I have played "Sword of the Samurai" many times in those days as Microprose still existed and it was my first game about the Sengoku Jidai era until I got my hands on Nobunagas Ambition II thus I hope for some better experience with "Sengoku" in relation to CKII and such else.
So you are definitely right such like a game would be very epic for ever...

greetings

Mike, an old KOEI fan...