Thread: PON dev diary #13: Gameplay options

Exclamation PON dev diary #13: Gameplay options

Hi,

We have added several options in the corresponding game menu. I'll talk only of novelties compared to the previous Paradox France / Ageod game (which is Rise of Prussia), and let veterans of our game system answer questions if need be about previously implemented options.

As you can see from the screenshot, we have added 4 options. They are all aimed toward providing a different game experience, and they try to achieve one of the Holy Grail of gaming, which is to please 2 broad categories of players! As they are options, if they fail to achieve this no small feat, no big loss either!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Game Options.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	34836

Extended Force Pool:
    OFF means you are playing with the historical allowance in recruitable military units.

ON means you are playing with a +50% to +200% allowance in recruitable military units.

One thing to understand, is that you have a pool of recruitable units for each nation. You just can't decide to recruit 50 guard units, because you have a fetish on them . With this option, you get much more freedom here, at the expense of historical accuracy. But hey, this is your game too and you enjoy it (mostly hehe) as you wish! Historical accurary is not there to annoy you, it is there to have the game runs somehow along historical lines, so be advised that the use of this option can make the game diverges significantly from reality. Just imagine what the US could do if from the start they can decide to conscript massively people and form up a lot of Infantry Corps, then send them on rampage on Canada. Fun? Yes perhaps, historically plausible? Allow us to doubt here.

Extended Structure pool:
    It works as with the units pool. If you augment your allowance by 50 to 200%, then instead of being able to build 6 extra coal mines as Great Britain, you will perhaps be able to build 22. No, I don't fail at this basic math test This is just that all countries have already on map structures, and they are factored in the pool. So if you have 2 structures on map, 6 available, your maximum pool is 8. And 8 times 3 makes ... 24.
    (awesome, I managed to explain a game rule before game release!)

Extended Spheres of Influence:
    The SOI concept, in PON is only about colonial regions. Basically all colonial regions in the world, for each country, are rated from -5 to +5. -5 means that if you colonize the region, you lose 5 prestige per turn. +5 ... well you guessed! Why this constraint is there? Because again, PON tries to provide an historical game experience, and SOIs are there to orient players and AIs alike toward historical behavior. This is so that you don't see Austria colonize Siberia (can be fun though to have a New Tyrol colony there!). With Extended SOIs, all negatives SOIs become 0. This still orient players toward positive spheres of influence, but you'll be much more able (and the AI too) to colonize everywhere.

Last, but not least, the big gun. Extended Claims. Activating this option will change drastically the game. With extended claims you can acquire during a peace treaty any region that is adjacent to a region you own. Think concentric circles here. Yes... you can paint the world in your color if you are a warmonger. This is totally non historical behavior, as at this time (this is not world war II remember), most countries did not seek to occupy the national regions of others countries. There was no chance for example that Germany could have been persuaded to occupy Russian territories up to Moscow e.g.

Precisions though, we are talking here of 'metropolitan' territories. All countries are able to occupy as they wish (if they succeed in war or crisis) all colonial regions and all regions they have a claim on.

Darkest Hour Game Designer Fernando Torres's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEast India Company Collection
    Elven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegioThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Looks great
    I'm looking forward to this game

Sounds great. I can imagine playing with and without extended claims, as well as extended SOI.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Great idea. I like the possibility of going historical or not. Getting better and better.

About extended claims I am not sure to understand : does this means that wars (apart from colonial ones), if the option is not checked, cannot lead to any territorial change except for national regions retake?

I think allready talked about it but there also could be an option for historical/random ressources (at least for colonial region) in order to make colonisation more diverse and changing when playing unhistorically...
    Last edited by HappyBanker; 20-04-2011 at 11:12.

For historical, semi random or random resources, there won't be time before release but it can definitively be added after it.

For territorial changes, regions status(es) can fall in several categories. National, claimed, colonial, the rest... You can get from a peace treaty the first 3 categories, not the rest (example, you can't ask Russians to cede Smolensk). If you are Germany and there is say 25% German ethnic in Memel, then it is a claimable region and you can get it.

Claim on region: 25% loyalty toward your nation or 25% ethnic of your main ethnic
    National region: 50%+ loyalty toward your nation or the highest ethnic is your main ethnic.

Now there is also the De Jure region. De Jure region is there to indicate 'manifest destiny' kind of behavior. For example USA can declare war on any nation having a hold on North America (in the regions who will become the US of A, excluding Canada) and can acquire any of such region, whatever the %.

I forgot a note of importance: all these options are dynamic and will work for current games too. You can even activate them for one turn. Say you would really like to take Antwerp from Belgium as France (not claimable). Activate Extended Claim, ask the region in peace treaty, proceed to the new turn, and then disable the option. Trick done

Quote Originally Posted by Pocus View Post
    For historical, semi random or random resources, there won't be time before release but it can definitively be added after it.
    I think it's a great idea and it would be cool if it could be added in a patch. It would add an optional element of uncertainty to it.

Claim on region: 25% loyalty toward your nation or 25% ethnic of your main ethnic
    National region: 50%+ loyalty toward your nation or the highest ethnic is your main ethnic.
    Do these populations change during the game? Are there some migration mechanics in place?

Love how these claims work.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Thanks for your answer. I thereby suppose that the standard setting is historical. I have no problem with that and am also very happy to hear that you are actually thinking about possible random ressources for sometimes after release. In a way there a lot to play with without this option first so we will need the time.

For territorial changes, regions status(es) can fall in several categories. National, claimed, colonial, the rest... You can get from a peace treaty the first 3 categories, not the rest (example, you can't ask Russians to cede Smolensk). If you are Germany and there is say 25% German ethnic in Memel, then it is a claimable region and you can get it.

Now there is also the De Jure region. De Jure region is there to indicate 'manifest destiny' kind of behavior. For example USA can declare war on any nation having a hold on North America (in the regions who will become the US of A, excluding Canada) and can acquire any of such region, whatever the %.
    This seems fair and very historical. I just hope that there are other possible casus-belli. I am wondering for exemple if the different wars of the period taht were not directly territory-related will be hard-scripted with rigid trigger condition (WW1 allways hapening in 1914) or can be triggered some way by the player (in no claim mode). But maybe this is for a upcoming DD on casus-belli and war goals (sorry for the clearly Vic2 vocabular here , concepts and terms might be very different.)
    Last edited by HappyBanker; 20-04-2011 at 15:36.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Great DD again. More than the resources issue (which is fine, but more than a random factor it would be great being refered always to real data, simulating a early development of other regions, like, let's say, Asia or South America), I'm very interested in the sphere of influence, as well as the regions status. In special if demographic dynamics are involved during the game, as Romtos has stated.
    Why do you sound surprised? I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America - Liz Lemon

Wow, this keeps looking better and better. I guess taking the less historical options would make modding in the (non-playable) minors also more interesting.

One question though: are the force pool and the structure pool limited by nation no matter what else you do? If I go along and claim all of Africa for the Austrian Empire will I be stuck with my usual pool or do I get extra colonial units/buildings? Likewise if I use extended claims to snatch Poland from Russia as Germany will I be able to use the lands to raise new units?
    timeo hominem unius libri

200k clubA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I`m the kind of player who would put on an option to make all the wars, army movements and battle outcomes 100% historical and just watch the time go by (that would make for quite a boring game I guess but nevemind that ), but it's nice to know those who want more freedom in their games have the choice.
    SIR!, WE'RE SURROUNDED!
    Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

I forgot a note of importance: all these options are dynamic and will work for current games too. You can even activate them for one turn. Say you would really like to take Antwerp from Belgium as France (not claimable). Activate Extended Claim, ask the region in peace treaty, proceed to the new turn, and then disable the option. Trick done
    Excellent!

So if you can't typically take land from peace negotiations, what are the benefits of successfully prosecuting a war?

Can you support other countries to fight proxy wars for you?

You can take regions that are within your claims. Say Alsace for Prussia. Prussia at this time was not interested in annexing Brest or Paris in a kind of gigantic lebenstraum running from the Atlantic to Moscow

From a peace treaty you can ask: claimed regions, colonies, war reparations, demobilization of army, scuttling of fleet, liberation of a country.

Krasnoyarskaya Str. h. 31, apartment 3,Chita 672010 Russia
    Activate Extended Claim, ask the region in peace treaty, proceed to the new turn, and then disable the option. Trick done
    Don't think it is a good idea. It sounds like a legit cheat. Imagine if in multiplayer game everybody will start to mess with the settings. Don't understand the true purpose of it, really.

That would not work in MP... As only what is active on the host's computer is what matters, think client-server here. As for the "legit trick" in SP, in SP you do what you want and then face the consequences. If sometime in the future you ask me how to add 1.000.000 to your state treasury as Deseret, I'll tell you how to do that.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEast India CompanyElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband
    Pride of NationsRise of Prussia

That could be useful for AAR, though, if in your AAR OE has for some reason a valid claim on, say, Gibraltar.
    Learning from Prussia - a Rise of Prussia AAR for beginners - or how a forced march in winter saved Prussia from anniliation.
    A Tale of French and War Crimes : A double Multiplayer AAR of Wars in America with Loki100. Includes violence against English and Indians - not suited for children.
    The War of 1812 - or how I burned down Washington