• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your pretty brave, Imperialman, ordering a moderator around! :p

We're just normal people as well :) And those flower-ships are... well, let's put it this way: you're not afraid of anything if you associate yourself publicly with them :p

Take those photos sir and leave! There is no want of flowery ships here and I demand recompense in the form of gold bullion!

For all the outcry, I'm the only one who isn't breaking the post naval pictures rule in this thread.

Turner's Steamer in a Snowstorm.

And yes, it's fine to reply to moderators as long as we're not moderating.

Drifting back to ships in active service:

uss_constitution_3.jpg

USS Constitution, 44-gun heavy frigate

That's a real beauty. The single oldest ship still in service, if I recall?

constitution-painting1.gif

She is the single oldest ship still in commission that is also floating. The worlds oldest ship that is in commission is in fact the HMS Victory. Laid down in 1759 and launched in 1765 she is 30 years older than the USS Constitution and still comissioned in service with the Royal Navy. She took part in the battle of Trafalgar and was Admiral Horatio Nelson's flagship.

She was also Keppel's flagship at Ushant, Howe's flagship at Cape Spartel and Jervis's flagship at Cape St Vincent. Therefore having a veritable number of battle honours in her time of service. After 1824 she served as a harbour ship. In 1922 she was moved to permenant dry dock and put up as a Museum. However she remains the flagship of the Second Sea Lord.

Victory_Portsmouth_um_1900.jpg

HMS_Victory.jpg

Hah, I can imagine the regret of devs when seeing those. "Why aren't we making an Age of Sail game?" "Next time Jan, next time". ;-)

Oh and there is something special in actual paintings of ships as opposed to photos - or even lamer, computer simulations. Don't you think.

union-fleet-vicksburg.jpg

HMS Temeraire was a 98-gun second-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 11 September 1798 at Chatham, which fought at the Battle of Trafalgar. She was named after the French 74-gun ship Téméraire taken at the Battle of Lagos in 1759, following the British custom of naming new ships after old prizes.

la0004.jpg

dhm1519.jpg

The most famous image of the ship...
'The Fighting Temeraire tugged to her last berth to be broken up' by J. M. W. Turner, 1838.
Turner_Joseph_Mallord_William_The_fighting_-Temeraire-_tugged_to_her_last_Berth_to_be_broken_up.jpg

Today HMS Temeraire, now a shore establishment, is the Directorate of Naval Physical Training and Sport (DNPTS) in Portsmouth. Established in 1910 and commissioned as HMS Temeraire in 1971.

how can a ship be a float if its in dry dock????

It's not, that's way the USS Constitution is the oldest warship in commission afloat, and the HMS Victory is the oldest warship in commission.

IJN Ise. BB in the front (14"), CV in the back (3 airplanes). One of the weirdest ships ever designed. Huge crew, no speed, low range. It was one hopeless vessel. Nickname "freakshow" in Navy Field. ;-)

ijn-ise-1945.gif

22942974.jpg

p2.jpg

ISE_ValuePack_2.jpg

20ajt

Hyuga1943.jpg

Thanks for sharing all these great photos, guys!

_B0C1110-Edit-Edit.jpg

Just saw this great shot of a Eurofighter by photographer Terry Donnelly.

Lovely shot... but ohhhh how I hate that plane. Such a monumental c**k up. Even more so that it wasn't cleared for STOBAR straight from the start and our carriers built to that specification... If had been we'd be seeing the first QE class complete build next year. The second one the year after. With in service dates of 2013-2014.

That and its RAF :(

fa-18e.jpg

Boeing+FA-18EF+Super+Hornet+%252810%2529.jpg

This is blatently the Aircraft we should be using!! EW varients, Buddy-Buddy Tanker capable, Tandum seat with all the benefits that brings (which I think outweigh the negatives), Multi-role, Reasonably priced...