• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
lol!!

Your not going to be able to have a foldable mast... Don't think that would hold structually. So long as they have got the math right it should be fine... The ford is plenty deep enough if they decide to way her down a little bit. That said, having lived in S.Queensferry it really does give you an idea of the scale of these ships!!

Thanks for clearing that up, I have next to no idea when it comes to ship design features like that.

LOL at you guys!

Wait, what...? Do I see a ski jump thingie on the HMS Prince of Wales? Was it changed late in the building or have I been too buried in my programming to notice something that important?

It's an old computer generated image, it was created before the October 2010 announcement to switch from ski jump and straight deck to catapults and angled deck. Don't worry! :p

Here is how the first ship will look in 2016 (minus the F-35C's as they won't be in service till 2019)!

QE_class_carrier.jpg

Indeed Imperialman, personally I think a purchase of 60 of F/A-18's mixed with 60 F35C for the FAA is the way to go. The F/A-18 could then enter service in 2016 and thus training for operating a CATOBAR carrier could commence STRAIGHT away!!

Besides how can anyone not think these things are sooo cool!!!! And it has a tandum version which is such an understaded mode of operation IMHO!
f-18-new4.jpg

Indeed Imperialman, personally I think a purchase of 60 of F/A-18's mixed with 60 F35C for the FAA is the way to go. The F/A-18 could then enter service in 2016 and thus training for operating a CATOBAR carrier could commence STRAIGHT away!!

Besides how can anyone not think these things are sooo cool!!!! And it has a tandum version which is such an understaded mode of operation IMHO!
f-18-new4.jpg

I think that for every F-35 sold, the UK get a percentage due to development input. I've heard it said that if enough are sold we'll effectively get the F-35 for free because of the income generated.

I think that for every F-35 sold, the UK get a percentage due to development input. I've heard it said that if enough are sold we'll effectively get the F-35 for free because of the income generated.

Somehow I don't see that happening!! Besides F-35 was meant to enter service in 2014 or something like that... At worst I'm sure we could nail a lease of Super Hornets down... Of course that requires standing up to the US and somehow I don't think we are going to do that.

It's a shame because I really do think Britain would offer more to the US as an ally if it grew a back bone and also went down a maritime focused strategy...

Put it this way, you double our RAF or Army and we are still pathetic compared to the US versions... Double our Royal Navy... Even with current project muck ups I count that as 4 CVF's, 12 T45, 26 T26 (hehe!!), 14 Astute, 6-8 SSBN's, 6 LPH's, 4 Bulwark class, 6 Bay class..

That's actually not hideously far of American power project capabilites....

But I digress! To keep this legal here is a picture of one of Big and Expensives (BAE) ideas for the hull form of the vanguard replacement.

sub.jpg

Since i do play a Japan in AOD right now, im going to go with the biggest battleship every built.

Original pic:

Yamato-big.jpg

Colored version:

Yamato-1941.jpg

And something more ontopic: The future German frigate/destroyer which might be in working condition of the games timeframe, but for now its just a computer picture:

F125:

SHIP_FFH_F125_Concept_lg.jpg

Somer relatively fresh pics of the Ex-Varyag, China's first Aircraft Carrier steaming under her own power in the Bohai gulf and returning to Dalian shipyard for final refit.

varyag17.jpg

131355380966739.jpg

131356380189564.jpg

And a photo of the first aircraft landing on the Ex-Varyag - The Z-8 AEW&C helicopter.

1311546735339.jpg

CG of the Ex-Varyag. Helpful for those who wish to understand the different modifications in terms of weapons, sensors and the propable extended hangar space (rumour say that the space of the Granit-complex is now housing the CIC, while the Hangar was extended by 1000m²; hence, the 26 J-15 Sea-Flankers in internal carriage).

chinesecarrierlayout1.jpg

And the projected Carrier Group. Type 052C Luyang-II-class 'Aegis' DDG's and 054A Jiankai-II-class FFG's.

shilang07.jpg

Last edited:
I assume the 26 aircraft are internal, plus some extras stowed on deck? Or do the choppers take away the extra space.

Gah shows im not really good with new stuff.

I assume the 26 aircraft are internal, plus some extras stowed on deck? Or do the choppers take away the extra space.

Gah shows im not really good with new stuff.

yep. assumed 26 fixed wing J-15's in internal hangar (22 on her russian sister ship Kutznetsov) and a few on deck to up to around 40 fixed-wing in total (with helicopter wing, it makes around 50 aircrafts).

Yeah that seems more like a good number.

The British carriers once built will have more than that, but a ratio of less than half seemed strange ^^.

Some ships of the newly re-named Royal Canadian Navy.

Halifax class FFH's: HMCS Montreal followed by HMCS Charlottetown and HMCS Fredericton during a task group exercise in the North Atlantic:

hs2010t0030181.jpg

Victoria class submarine HMCS Corner Brook:

img38851.jpg

Last edited:
Upholder (Victoria) Class subs, now that's a blast from the ancient past! :p

Upholder (Victoria) Class subs, now that's a blast from the ancient past! :p

Not that ancient. We only let them go around 94... By we I mean the UK of course. They are still considered amoung the top non-nuclear submarines I believe and quite excellent considering their in-service date.

Was a stupid decision to go completely Nuclear for the RN I believe. Especially with the close proximity of the North sea, and some of the trade routes our merchant fleet move through. A quiet diesel would have been really handy! Especially as they could be forward based abroad more easily than a nuclear submarine (With a rotating crew ala the bombers)... A well, what do I know :p.

Not that ancient. We only let them go around 94... By we I mean the UK of course. They are still considered amoung the top non-nuclear submarines I believe and quite excellent considering their in-service date.

Was a stupid decision to go completely Nuclear for the RN I believe. Especially with the close proximity of the North sea, and some of the trade routes our merchant fleet move through. A quiet diesel would have been really handy! Especially as they could be forward based abroad more easily than a nuclear submarine (With a rotating crew ala the bombers)... A well, what do I know :p.

I should clarify, I mean ancient operationally for the RN back in the diesel doctrine days, not that they are in anyway obsolete. :p