• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While India overpaid Russians for their old not-battleship, Brazil bought an old CV from France for bare $12 mil, added modernized A4 Skyhawks from Kuwait (remember Falkland War? those got owned by Harriers there - but they also bravely defended Kuwait in the Desert Storm so maybe it evens out) and will have their replacement for Minas Gerais (good old Colossus class btw) fully operational later this year after they finish installing cable tv (not a joke) and all other crucial systems on it. Rumour says it runs on vegetable oil now (now I am kidding). :)

NAe Sao Paulo:

aircraft-carrier-the-S%C3%A3o-Paulo.jpg

A Brazilian carrier just seems like a big prestige object. They don't seem to need one.

It's not just vanity, there's a lot of knowledge coming from having a ship of this type - so when it's 2030 and we're turning the world into Fallout landscape over the remainder of natural resources, they have necessary know-how to spit new CVs and crews for them like US in the WW2.

Since they happen to be one of places one would go to get mentioned above resource, I think they shouldn't give up on at least some basic security policies in this area.

This doesn't have anything to do with naval pictures, but the devs haven't been answering posts for the past couple days. Hmm... It was almost exactly a month ago that the first dev diary was released, and another one is due... :D

But to keep this post somewhat on topic, here is a cool photo.
806667582_tqXcC-M-1.jpg

I hope this is what Naval War looks like! :D

It's not just vanity, there's a lot of knowledge coming from having a ship of this type - so when it's 2030 and we're turning the world into Fallout landscape over the remainder of natural resources, they have necessary know-how to spit new CVs and crews for them like US in the WW2.

Since they happen to be one of places one would go to get mentioned above resource, I think they shouldn't give up on at least some basic security policies in this area.

Brazil has no expeditionary ambitions at all though, what use is this carrier to their security?

You really fail to see how having practical knowledge of operating carrier battle groups increases their security and improves their safety and their diplomatic standing in the region and in the world? If you have a gun and know how to shoot it means you're more secure than someone who isn't carrying. Even if you don't intend to go rob a bank right away. Even if the gun isn't an automatic rifle, you're more secure than someone who never held one in his hand.

You really fail to see how having practical knowledge of operating carrier battle groups increases their security and improves their safety and their diplomatic standing in the region and in the world? If you have a gun and know how to shoot it means you're more secure than someone who isn't carrying. Even if you don't intend to go rob a bank right away. Even if the gun isn't an automatic rifle, you're more secure than someone who never held one in his hand.

I fail to understand why Brazil, a country with seemingly no ambitions of out-of-region power projection in the near or long term future (I could be wrong), would be more secure with the knowledge of how to run a carrier battle group. Yes obviously it would benefit them as they would have that ability, but, I'm questioning the practical need of that ability for a country like Brazil.

The carriers captain Monteiro Dias has even said "Our mission is to defend Brazil, its fishing and merchant fleets and its national waters". Surely Brazil, who is currently under economic flux, could accomplish this task with other less expensive assets? This does just seem like chest beating to me. It's a national symbol of pride, even if by itself it may be quite limited. 100 years ago Brazil was spending huge portions of its military budget to have the British build them a battleship, for similar reasons.

The carrier seems to be something unnecessary at the moment, Brazil just doesn't have the money to send its carrier around the world in defence of Brazilian interests.

I simply believe that the carrier was bought to further assert Brazil's status as South America's dominant power. It's a matter of prestige and a matter of military might. I may be wrong but this is my take on it.

Last edited:
Giuseppe Garibaldi (guess which navy) first built as "aircraft carrying cruiser" (kid you not) to not breach treaties denying Italy (hope you guessed before reaching this point in my sentence) from owning those after WW2. It's kinda cool because it's packed to rafters with all kinds of gear specialized in sub hunting. Oh and it can carry 16 Harriers around. Being built domestically, not bought from Russians or French, it gets extra points for style.

800px-ITS_Giuseppe_Garibaldi_%28C_551%29.jpg

Can't resist not to post :D

Piece of Finland's navy.. Just in case we'll have some interests in arctic circle during next 30 years... :D

Something that I don't understand is why Finland's navy mainly includes minelayers and minesweepers.. Are we about to make a wall of mines around the coasts when someone decides to invade us? And then sweep them off later.. Typical plan around here.. :rolleyes:

Minelayer Pohjanmaa, at the moment cruising around Somalian coast and trying to catch some pirates, they've been there for a quite long while now and haven't done anything particularly special..
Pohjanmaa2.jpg

Hamina class missile boat, I have no idea where they keep these.. The navy has four of these babies
Hamina-luokka_Hanko.JPG

Something that isn't serving anymore, Finland had submarines during WWII and cold war but they've been taken out of service by now. I'm actually quite proud, Finland had 3 submarines during WWII, all of them sank one Soviet sub (not any surface units) and none of them were lost :p

FNS Vetehinen (Vetehinen = Merman), probably only (or one of the really few (and the French incident doesn't count! :D)) submarine that has sunk an enemy submarine with ramming it :D More about the story here
PVetehinen-launch2.jpg

How about you stop posting without images? :)

BAP Almirante Grau, the very last gun cruiser still in service and flagship of Peruvian navy.

CruceroCM-81AlmiranteGrau.jpg

Nice. This is a modern-navy game, but nothing can beat the sheer beauty of a sailing (war)ship. :)

USS Iowa. She is currently in the reserve fleet but she is kept ready for service. She was modernized in the 80's with new AA guns,a heilpad, Electronic warfare systems,Tomahawk and Harpoon missiles. She is the only battleship in the world that is combat ready. She truly is a dieing breed.
uss_iowa.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of, here's Iowa from Navy Field:

iowa_shipyard.jpg

iowa.jpg

safferli said:
nothing can beat the sheer beauty of a sailing (war)ship.

Have you tried with 1.2 ton projectiles at 800 m/s? :)

Nice. This is a modern-navy game, but nothing can beat the sheer beauty of a sailing (war)ship. :)

In reality the Amerigo Vespucci wasn't a warship. It has been built in 1931 to train the officers in naval accademy of Livorno, and it is actually used.
Now i show to you the carrier Cavour (finished to build in 2009):

portaerei-cavour.jpg

The baptism of the fist half of the Cavour:

465611231_yunq5-S.jpg

And that's our older cvl Garibaldi:

garibaldinavy.jpg