+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Naval Pictures

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    Hey, no posts without pictures! :-)

Size doesn't matter, you can be a CV if you want to:

“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Haha!
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Hearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic Circle

Quote Originally Posted by imperialman View Post
    I've just realised that my garden pond fleet is easily more powerful than the Icelandic "battle fleet" of another thread.
    I take that back, I just found what will surely tip the naval balance in Icelands favour! Their newest and most powerful warship!
    "The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves, I mean other people and by laugh, I mean invade."

Here are some units that I found during a trip to Hakone, Japan last year...

Click image for larger version

Name:	HakoneNaval.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	34798

We're considering them for NWAC... What do you think?

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Admiralissimo View Post
    I want that bucket in the background with the cutsy seal on it in the game!
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Quote Originally Posted by Admiralissimo View Post
    Here are some units that I found during a trip to Hakone, Japan last year...

Attachment 34798

I think they would be a perfect counter balance for the western carriers. They're stealthy and have bow ties, there's no missile on Earth that could counter that threat.
    "The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves, I mean other people and by laugh, I mean invade."

Hearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSupreme Ruler: Cold War

In a dinghy in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Those Tomahawks are pretty mean! Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by nimitz98 View Post
    Those Tomahawks are pretty mean! Hehe.
    They also clean up pretty well!

Blog Entries
    BBs are very much obsolete, but it's always a pleasure to see the best pic of Iowa ever taken. Iowas were the last BBs in service in the world - so I doubt any of such ships will be featured in NWAC. Shame, isn't it? :-)

“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

Picard on a ship that CAN'T fire photon torpedoes? (Surely shining a torch would have the same effect as a photon based weapon?)
    HMS Daring hosts the Captain.

Blog Entries
    Charles de Gaulle, aka Gadhafi's pain in the butt:

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    Charles de Gaulle, aka Gadhafi's pain in the butt:
    On one of its rare journeys from port that don't result in the crew glowing green. Also it seems to be in company with what appears to be a remote controlled helicopter!

The UXV Combatant, a UCAV mothership design proposed to the Royal Navy.

THIS is the shape of war to come - a supership to launch unmanned jets, submarines, tanks and boats by remote control.
    By 2020 a new generation fleet of Royal Navy ships will replace tens of thousands of troops on the battlefield.

Dubbed the UXV Combatant - and nicknamed Mothership - the concept has been drawn up by UK arms giant BAE Systems.

It could be in service in 13 years.

The 8,000-ton Mothership is a cross between an aircraft carrier and the Navy's newest Type 45 destroyer.

Its sleek, stealth design means it only shows up on radar as the size of a small fishing boat. Main weapons systems will be concealed, including the 75-mile range, 155mm gun with precision-guided shells.

Each Mothership could carry up to 24 unmanned vehicles for different combat scenarios.

A handful of the ships could execute a full invasion. Currently, it takes around 20 people to crew and maintain one helicopter. An unmanned version could be run by five.

Manned surface patrol boats need 50 sailors to manage. The remote control prototypes need just ten.

BAE Systems' ship engineering chief Charles Nisbet said: "There is still a way to go but we have been working across industry and closely with the MoD on the concept, and this is a considered response to their request for designs." A senior Navy officer said: "The UXV fits very closely with our thinking. The next generation of surface ships has to be able to do just about everything".

I wonder if this has any scope for inclusion in NWAC? (Assuming that it gets some sort of main gate approval in the near future)
    Last edited by imperialman; 18-04-2011 at 22:46.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialman View Post
    The UXV Combatant, a UCAV mothership design proposed to the Royal Navy.

THIS is the shape of war to come - a supership to launch unmanned jets, submarines, tanks and boats by remote control.
    By 2020 a new generation fleet of Royal Navy ships will replace tens of thousands of troops on the battlefield.

Dubbed the UXV Combatant - and nicknamed Mothership - the concept has been drawn up by UK arms giant BAE Systems.

It could be in service in 13 years.

The 8,000-ton Mothership is a cross between an aircraft carrier and the Navy's newest Type 45 destroyer.

Its sleek, stealth design means it only shows up on radar as the size of a small fishing boat. Main weapons systems will be concealed, including the 75-mile range, 155mm gun with precision-guided shells.

Each Mothership could carry up to 24 unmanned vehicles for different combat scenarios.

A handful of the ships could execute a full invasion. Currently, it takes around 20 people to crew and maintain one helicopter. An unmanned version could be run by five.

Manned surface patrol boats need 50 sailors to manage. The remote control prototypes need just ten.

BAE Systems' ship engineering chief Charles Nisbet said: "There is still a way to go but we have been working across industry and closely with the MoD on the concept, and this is a considered response to their request for designs." A senior Navy officer said: "The UXV fits very closely with our thinking. The next generation of surface ships has to be able to do just about everything".

I wonder if this has any scope for inclusion in NWAC? (Assuming that it gets some sort of main gate approval in the near future)
    i doubt something like this will be build and operational within the next 30 years.

Blog Entries
    Here's Denmark's finest. It's a command/support ship leading squadrons of frigates, but I first heard about it when it tore Somali pirate mothership a new ***hole - so it's not a newbie vessel. :-) HDMS Absalon.

Quote Originally Posted by comsubpac View Post
    i doubt something like this will be build and operational within the next 30 years.
    It's possible from an engineering point of view but I don't think the government would seriously consider funding this class of ship. A major event would have to come about to cause this to become an accepted naval idea, especially when a real carrier could do the same job.

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    Here's Denmark's finest. It's a command/support ship leading squadrons of frigates, but I first heard about it when it tore Somali pirate mothership a new ***hole - so it's not a newbie vessel. :-) HDMS Absalon.
    The Royal Navy really could use those as part of the Future Surface Combatant C2 variant. (C1 will be the Type 26)

Blog Entries
    Here's the star of guess the ship threads in any forum, first ever sub to sink enemy, CSS Hunley:

The good old days when a NWAC would be a pretty quick affair for the 1200+ ship Royal Navy.

Blog Entries
    Learn from the best:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 ... LastLast