• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It means that the point mentioned before the 'nay' doesn't fit into my self-established definition of "gamey". :D

And, Brisk, how did the US ask for peace? I mean, they're part of a major alliance, so it would be only possible through an event.

Yes it is part of an event :) A Cold War Event between US and Germany ;)

I just backchecked on Czech annexation. I had made mention of the 'no choice' Italian alliance in a forum thread some time ago and was subsequently told that if you ally with Hungary, you get Italy as an additional surprise. However if you allow creation of Croatia then Italy will not automatically join the Axis and then you can thus avoid the unwanted Balkan campaigns. I have not play tested this so i am not sure if it is the case. Having said this, you are stuck with Benito. If i may make a suggestion, take control of his armies. He will declare his stupid little wars but at least he won't get half his army destroyed in North Africa, which, if you leave it to the AI, will happen. Thanx for the update KW. Try to hit the Russkies before Winter War is over or very soon after before they redeploy their army back from Finland. You will be in Moscow by July 1940. I have playtested this. :)

I mean Slovakia, not Croatia. The Balkans is a very confusing place for someone who lives in a huge, underpopulated country :p

Last edited:
i think that giving the german player a choice over what countries they wish to ally should be really important. i usually tend to avoid allying italy because they usually have an insane and unpredictable AI (eg. in my last game they had no problem winning easily in egypt but they got wasted in greece). another thing is that germany should be allowed to choose between japan and nat china (especially cause china can be a monster if played correctly).

as for italy if you really dont have a choice about letting them into your alliance then i think you should take direct control of their forces so that they don't do anything idiotic. the best thing the italians can do is stay home and make the soft underbelly not so easy to attack.

if you look at history franco was not too eager to join the axis but i think this should change with some successes like bitter peace, or even giving in to his historical demands. anyway as long as you don't plan anything serious in the mediterreanan franco makes a nice safe buffer state (i'm always afraid of spanish republic stabbing me in the back while i'm busy in russia)

Make them fight your war by taking military control. Evacuate what you can from Africa and use the remaining Italians as garrison in your rear areas. They will declare war on Greece though, so that still sucks... try not to commit your own forces though. On the other hand, you will secure your right flank for Barbarossa. Even so... it's one of those events that smell (badly) of yet another crappy mod.

Maybe you should take out Denmark, otherwise you may have surprises on the Baltic beaches... I also suggest paying attention to Norway. I once in MP used it as a staging point to throw ~200 american divisions in the face of the player controlled Germany from there (in may '42). He also thought Norway unimportant...

But the idea is blitzing so fast that you won't need to garrison anything, right? That's interesting and if so I'll be watching your progress. :)

subscribed

I don't know what would be so gamey about Italy not joining the Axis. In fact, it could potentially be harmful to Germany, as the British wouldn't have to worry about the Med, so Sea Lion could be harder. Moreover, since Mussolini was an opportunist, there is always the possibility that he would attack Germany if he gained enough support from the Allies, although I don't know whether the AI is smart enough to do that in-game.

Oh my, a flood of comments just because Benito knocked on my door. Perhaps it wasn't so bad after all, at least for the popularity of this AAR. It doesn't change anything, I still don't like the prospect of Italians in the Axis. :p

Yes it is part of an event :) A Cold War Event between US and Germany ;)

I freely admit that I haven't played such a long DH game with Germany yet that I could have encountered Cold War events. :eek:o But thanks for the information, I had already nightmares that it may be necessary to invade the US to satisfy my readers. :p

I just backchecked on Czech annexation. I had made mention of the 'no choice' Italian alliance in a forum thread some time ago and was subsequently told that if you ally with Hungary, you get Italy as an additional surprise. However if you allow creation of Croatia then Italy will not automatically join the Axis and then you can thus avoid the unwanted Balkan campaigns. I have not play tested this so i am not sure if it is the case.

OK. If this is true, then it's even worse than I have thought. It would be like a hidden "Framed!" event*. I will look at the events for the next update myself, hopefully you aren't right ... :(

Having said this, you are stuck with Benito. If i may make a suggestion, take control of his armies. He will declare his stupid little wars but at least he won't get half his army destroyed in North Africa, which, if you leave it to the AI, will happen.

However, the most important question anyone should ask themselves now is: Would the author of this AAR really be so sad if the Italian army is destroyed? Especially if it means that he doesn't have to administrate an additional bunch of highly incompetent armies, fleets and squadrons?

Thanx for the update KW. Try to hit the Russkies before Winter War is over or very soon after before they redeploy their army back from Finland. You will be in Moscow by July 1940. I have playtested this. :)

Shhh! It would have been better to keep that to yourself. Now, I'm not only spoiled, but also required to perform at least as well as you did to please my audience. ;)

I mean Slovakia, not Croatia. The Balkans is a very confusing place for someone who lives in a huge, underpopulated country :p

Your country has at least sweet, cute beavers while the Balkans only offer sadness and despair. :(

Just kidding. :D Actually, most parts of this post are written in a "just kidding" style; I don't know if it's the alcohol or the Italians, I just feel a little bit cynical right now about everything.

i think that giving the german player a choice over what countries they wish to ally should be really important. i usually tend to avoid allying italy because they usually have an insane and unpredictable AI (eg. in my last game they had no problem winning easily in egypt but they got wasted in greece). another thing is that germany should be allowed to choose between japan and nat china (especially cause china can be a monster if played correctly).

Yes. The Sino-German cooperation was until the Second Sino-Japanese War one of the strongest of its kind. It would be not only a somewhat plausible, but very exciting ahistorical path a player could pursue. And since the latest beta patch possibly a very rewarding choice, too, as the Chinese reportedly perform now very well (probably too well) due to some adjustments to their AI and some additional generous presents from the Pitman Act and Operation Zet.

The Italian question, however, is far more pressing, as it has undermined my overarching plan of a pacified Continental Europe til Winter 1939. Creating the possibility to opt out of a German-Italian alliance should be therefore a priority, even if the continuation of the Sino-German cooperation would be interesting, too.

as for italy if you really dont have a choice about letting them into your alliance then i think you should take direct control of their forces so that they don't do anything idiotic. the best thing the italians can do is stay home and make the soft underbelly not so easy to attack.

Even if I place the entire Italian army in their mainland this won't stop Mussolini from declaring war on Greece and Yugoslavia.

if you look at history franco was not too eager to join the axis but i think this should change with some successes like bitter peace, or even giving in to his historical demands. anyway as long as you don't plan anything serious in the mediterreanan franco makes a nice safe buffer state (i'm always afraid of spanish republic stabbing me in the back while i'm busy in russia)

As far as I know there is actually a special event chain for a German-Spanish alliance, but even without it, the Spanish will, as you say, accept my invitation to the Axis as soon as the Soviet Union is defeated -- I think.

And yes, the Spanish Republic at the south flank would have been a major source of inconvenience, thus I've purposefully influenced the SCW by taking military control over the Nationalists myself.

Make them fight your war by taking military control. Evacuate what you can from Africa and use the remaining Italians as garrison in your rear areas. They will declare war on Greece though, so that still sucks... try not to commit your own forces though. On the other hand, you will secure your right flank for Barbarossa. Even so... it's one of those events that smell (badly) of yet another crappy mod.

I don't play a mod ... ;)

And I'm still undecided if I really want to take control of the Italian forces. I think right now the best course of action would be to leave the Italians alone unless the Allies launch Avalanche. It would only be necessary to guard the Yugoslavian border (two provinces) to prevent any Yugoslavian incursions into Austria when the Italians decide to attack the Yugoslavs -- for now. I'm relatively isolated from the Balkans, so hopefully I won't have to deal with this mess for several years.

Maybe you should take out Denmark, otherwise you may have surprises on the Baltic beaches...

Landings in the Baltic aren't really a concern, as my forces would be close enough to deal with them adequately. And the Wacht am Öresund is still there in form of the entire Kriegsmarine. Okay, the Kriegsmarine would be probably only a minor obstacle for the British and the Americans, but I would have a warning, and, after all, some transports would certainly sink.

I also suggest paying attention to Norway. I once in MP used it as a staging point to throw ~200 american divisions in the face of the player controlled Germany from there (in may '42). He also thought Norway unimportant...

I haven't turned the belligerence limitations for democracies off, so Norway's neutrality can be only violated by the US if it behaves belligerent, which doesn't seem very probable. ;) I have no profound knowledge of the event chain that could lead to a scripted Allied invasion of Norway, but I guess that with the British refusing to start Operation Wilfred the chances have at least dropped that the Allies will atempt to do something in Scandinavia.

Even if Norway comes into the firing line of the Allies, I highly doubt that the US AI would be so cunning and daring to start an invasion with 200 divisions in Norway -- to be honest. ;) It is somewhat distasteful that I rely on my knowledge that an AI would never do such a thing, but still, it's just not realistic. The AI would, if at all, only launch a small invasion. Add to that the lousy infrastructure of Scandinavia that can slow any invasion down and you will come to the conclusion that any AI invasions there will be just unimportant for the overall progress of the war.

But the idea is blitzing so fast that you won't need to garrison anything, right?

Ohh, just don't remind me of the guards. I haven't even one division for partisan suppression produced yet! :( Not to mention how I can wage a war against the Soviets when the Atlantic Coast as well as Yugoslavia will demand some safeguards against possible Allied invasions, too. So yes, the idea is to blitz so fast that I won't need garrisons, among other ideas I had. The actual idea behind my whole strategy is, I think I've written it in my very first update, the fact (or, let's say it more cautiously; the belief) that time works against Germany and thus the opponents that profit from time (ergo, the opponents with more IC) need to be taken out as soon as possible, which is, for now, the Soviet Union. Only in this way Germany can compensate its lower production capabilities and establish itself firmly as a super power that is on the same level as the US.

That's interesting and if so I'll be watching your progress. :)

subscribed

Thank you.

I don't know what would be so gamey about Italy not joining the Axis. In fact, it could potentially be harmful to Germany, as the British wouldn't have to worry about the Med, so Sea Lion could be harder. Moreover, since Mussolini was an opportunist, there is always the possibility that he would attack Germany if he gained enough support from the Allies, although I don't know whether the AI is smart enough to do that in-game.

I concur.

However, AI Italy won't leave my alliance because it is only possible to pull out of a major alliance when the alliance as a whole is at peace. Of course, there could be other hidden events aimed at annoying the player, but let's hope for the best. ;)

*MM insider

EDIT: Perhaps I'm a natural cynic?

Last edited:
I meant the 'Nay' seems a bit idk Classy?

I don't know what the precise English counterpart to "check" is, so I've just chosen something that could fit.

Yeah, I guess the Italians should have been blocked if they ask for the alliance. I can understand that they wage their own wars when they like to do (Albania, Greece) but they musn't count on German support already.

nevertheless fine update, soon France will fall!

Tim

Part XLII: Italian and Patch Interlude

The Patch

The latest beta patch made, as far as I can tell, one change that is of paramount importance for us:

Changelog 1.02 Beta 1 said:
WW2 eventchain fires now even when germany is already at war (f.e. with CZE)

And indeed:

darkesthour201107151447.jpg

These are excellent news. I was already worried that by abandoning Germany's historical event chain, crucial events like the Winter War would not fire. But now, everything seems to be right, I can initiate the World War II event chain due to the Danzig or War decision that is now available again. Apart from that, there are also some minor adjustments and bugfixes that could became important. Some AI bugfixes were included, so I hope that the French AI will now start to mobilise their troops (even if it's now probably too late for them anyway). The Reichskommissariate received several boosts, so I might consider releasing some of them. In general, puppets become now finally useful as they gain some initial start units and fnaly know how to move their mobilisation slider. Germany's wartime IC penalties were also eliminated, but it won't help me as it would be necessary to start a new game in order to profit from this change.

The save seems to work well after the application of the patch, so it should be no problem to continue the game.

The Italians

After experimenting with TextCrawler I was quickly able to find the evil event that was responsible for the sub-optimal Italian entry into the Axis:

Code:
###################################
# Italy joins the Axis
#####################################
event = { 
	id = 2006012
	random = no 
	country = ITA
	persistent = yes

trigger = {
		control = { province = 55 data = GER } # Paris
		event = 2003008 # Italy has signed the Anti-Comintern pact
		control = { province = 163 data = GER } # Berlin
		war = { country = GER country = ENG }
		NOT = { war = { country = GER country = SOV } }
		NOT = { war = { country = GER country = USA } }
		NOT = { war = { country = ITA country = ENG } }
		NOT = { alliance = { country = ITA country = SOV } }
		NOT = { alliance = { country = ITA country = ENG } }
		NOT = { alliance = { country = ITA country = GER } }
		headofgovernment = 25002 # Mussolini (FA)
	}

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }		 
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 30 month = september year = 1999 }	

name = 459name
	desc = 459desc
  	style = 2
  	picture = "news_paper"

action = { trigger = { NOT = { garrison = { country = ITA province = 399 type = land size = 9 area = yes } } } # Alessandria
		ai_chance = 0
		name = 459a
		command = { type = alliance which = GER }
		command = { type = relation which = ENG value = -100 }
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -100 }
		command = { type = relation which = GER value = 60 }
	}
	action = { trigger = { garrison = { country = ITA province = 399 type = land size = 9 area = yes } }
		ai_chance = 10
		name = 459a
		command = { type = alliance which = GER }
		command = { type = relation which = ENG value = -100 }
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -100 }
		command = { type = relation which = GER value = 60 }
	}
	action = { trigger = { garrison = { country = ITA province = 399 type = land size = 9 area = yes } }
		ai_chance = 0
		name = 459b
		command = { }
	}
	action = { trigger = { NOT = { garrison = { country = ITA province = 399 type = land size = 9 area = yes } } }
		ai_chance = 10
		name = 459b
		command = { }
	}
	action = {	
		ai_chance = 0
		name = 3404b
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 2006012 }
	}
}

Speculation that Italy only joins the Axis if the player decides to partition Czechoslovakia with Hungary were exaggerated. It is far worse, because in case that it would have been indeed some kind of "surprise" it could have been at least averted by not partitioning Czechoslovakia. Instead, the event that prompts Italy to join the Axis will fire always -- as soon as Germany controls Paris.

Well, now that we know that it wasn't possible to prevent it, I think we just have to reconcile with the idea of Italian allies. So I'll give you an overview about the Italian forces:

darkesthour201107151600.jpg

If the Italian AI has been improved by the latest patch, perhaps it will be able to put up a decent fight in North Africa. However, I doubt that we will see any major Italian victories or successes if the Italians will simultaneously try to attack Greece and Yugoslavia.

darkesthour201107151601.jpg

It certainly won't hurt if the British lose some ships, although I doubt that the Italians will be a match for the Royal Navy -- the estimates of my spies claim the existence of around 150 British naval units. :p

darkesthour201107151601.jpg

If I wouldn't know that the Italian Air Force has a laughable quality, I could be actually happy about these numbers.

For now, I will do nothing. Only if the Italians do something stupid I might consider to take control over their army -- really, I don't have the nerves to administrate the Italian army, navy and air force. If my plans succeed, I will be in Moscow before the Allies can attack my "soft underbelly" anyway. If not, then I will have to invent some kind of counter-strategy, but for now, there's no point to enter perpetual grief mode just because of some stupid Italian event. ;)

So, my dear readers, for the next week I'm on vacation in Poland; I just thought that it could be wise to inspect my next conquests personally. :cool: ;) Unfortunately, this means that there won't be any updates til August, but I hope that you will nevertheless stay tuned as soon as this AAR will continue. :)

nevertheless fine update, soon France will fall!

Tim

Thank you.

Happy Holiday KW. See you in August. Nice to know there is no escaping Mousilini, sort of. :p

It's good to see that your're still following. :) Thank you.

Welcome, my dear friend! :D

I thought that you would welcome me, as the avatar and location were some obvious hints. ;) Poland is, with the exception of the horrible QWERTY keyboard layout, really nice. Especially the people here seem to be a lot more happier and content than in Germany (which is, of course, not very difficult). :D

vacation in poland or just in polish administered area? ;)

Well, it depends if you recognize the Treaty of Versailles. :p I'm in Thorn/Torun and from what I've seen until now it is the kind of city I like -- lots of sights, musesums, malls, restaurants and this distinctive medieval flair in the old town. It's also situated in a good spot so that I can visit some exciting places in its vicinity. I'm already dead chuffed to see the Marienburg. :cool:

I thought that you would welcome me, as the avatar and location were some obvious hints. Poland is, with the exception of the horrible QWERTY keyboard layout, really nice. Especially the people here seem to be a lot more happier and content than in Germany (which is, of course, not very difficult).
That's great to hear, especially since we Poles tend to describe ourselves as THE pessimists. Things are changing now, although quite slowly for 21st century. Still, Poland has much more to offer now than it had 10-15 years ago.

Part XLIII: August 1939

darkesthour201108021124.jpg

Under the command of Field Marshal List, nineteen German divisions from Dunkirk and Amiens assault Calais, which is severed from the rest of French territory. If the battle is concluded with a victory (which is certain), eleven French divisions will be wiped out. Yet, while the French are almost in a military coma, they nevertheless show some stirs. The nasty attacks on Eicke's infantry corps in Arlon are repeatedly aborted and reinitialized, which indeed puts the divisions in such a jeopardy that I'm forced to assign offensive supplies to the corps so that Eicke can hold out until the offensive from the west reaches his opponents. Although the French still refuse to mobilise and hence are stuck with two year conscription, by now they managed to reinforce a good chunk of their divisions, so the finalisation of Case Yellow will probably take the remainder of August.

darkesthour201108021131.jpg

Perfidious Albion launches an amphibious "invasion" in Amsterdam. While I'm certain that the local police could also arrest the puny British division that managed to land, I've already ordered Rommel weeks ago from Czechia to the Netherlands, as I anticipated such a move. He is only four days away, so the progress of the campaign in France will not be influenced in any way by these developments.

The Italians decide to schmooze us by "gifting" a bunch of their blueprints. Naturally, all of these blueprints are utterly useless. :) Unless, of course, someone would advocate the research of Interwar Seaplanes or boosts to our non-existant artillery. :eek:o It is also amazing to see that the Italians managed with their 25 divisions in North Africa to capture a British province (As Sollum); however, I would not bet too highly on the Italian performance, as the British are already approaching the Italian lines with two militia divisions which will probably transform the Italian offensive into trench warfare. :p

The battles of Reims and Hirson are concluded with victories. Reims is captured shortly afterwards by General von Witzleben, while Hirson will take, due to the game engine, a little bit more time.

darkesthour201108021137.jpg

Calais falls to the German army just four days after the start of the attack, and eleven French divisions sitting in the city are subsequently destroyed and join their other French and Dutch comrades -- I hear that there is a lot of corn in Silesia that needs to be harvested this autumn. :p ;) Anyway, the panzer forces in Amiens are, now that the pocket is no more, ordered to join the other armor corps in Paris and, as it lies along the way, to capture undefended Dieppe.

Rommel arrives in the outskirts of Amsterdam and assaults the British Expeditionary Force. The British didn't even bother to reinforce the only division they sent; it's only at half strength. The battle is quickly ended, but instead being destroyed, the division for some reason manages to escape to Rotterdam. :confused: Amsterdam was totally surrounded by grey provinces, including Rotterdam, that was also controlled by me, so I can offer no explanation ... again ...

To add to Britain's perfidiousness, they also attempt to steal some of our blueprints, but either our well-funded intelligence network or the discovery of the Italian blueprints we acquired lead to the failure of the British operation. Really, I have hoped that they would take some of the Italian blueprints. :(

darkesthour201108021147.jpg

In order to speed things up, I order von Kluge's HQ to Chateau Thierry so that it can support the still ongoing battle of Troyes. Meanwhile, General von Leeb finally managed to gain control of Hirson; so we can start the next tranche of offensives against the collapsing French lines: Sedan, that is occupied by six French divisions which participate in the French attack against Eicke in Arlon, will be captured (and, incidentally, will also give Eicke some relief) by a combined attack of our two infantry corps in Hirson and Mons and with the support of the HQ in Mons.

After ages (well, actually, only a couple of weeks) we win in Liege. As the purpose of the battle of Liege was only to distract the French, I'm not as disappointed as I normally would be due to a long, bloody and uneconomical battle. Liege is captured by one infantry corps immediately after the end of the battle and gives us thus total control of continental Belgium. The nine enemy divisions in Liege retreat to Luxemburg.

Amsterdam is recaptured and Rommel starts to pursuit the coward British 1931 infantry division in Rotterdam.

darkesthour201108021153.jpg

Now the real fun starts. As I've already written, Paris was not only the key to extinguish French resistance; Paris is also the entry gate to the rest of the French mainland. In order to trigger the Fall of France, I need to occupy, besides Paris, 35 percent of France's national provinces. So, here we are! With French divisions nothing more but some bad manufactured rubber dolls, it's time to wreak havoc among the French by just steamrolling French provinces at random in order to trigger the event as soon as possible. Alsace-Lorraine and the surrounding region will, obviously, be exlucded from this, as the French still have some considerable forces in the area. My armor divisions are first and will proceed, unless they met some considerable resistance, along the routes that are shown in the screenshot; the infantry divisions that are still in Amiens and that are moving to Le Havre will join later and capture Brittany. I don't expect them to finish their mission, actually -- the Fall of France will occur rather sooner than later.

And a more worrying development: The Soviets now started to intimidate Romania to get Bessarabia. What, you say that I have actually allowed this by signing the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact? Well, but how could I have possibly known that Stalin takes this piece of paper serious? I mean, I thought that he would ignore it in the same way as I will do in around three or four months. :p It was signed on April Fools' Day, after all!

Last edited:
That's great to hear, especially since we Poles tend to describe ourselves as THE pessimists. Things are changing now, although quite slowly for 21st century. Still, Poland has much more to offer now than it had 10-15 years ago.

I believe you. Communism was really not kind to Poland -- you can't imagine how startled I was after the visit of a museum were someone seriously told me that during the Communist era, it was a common occurence that plates in bars were bolted into the counters and cups chained to columns. But since my first, rather short trip to Poland some years ago, things really improved rapidly.

Last edited: