• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CHAPTER SEVEN: The Illyrians Part II

Inactivity is death -- Benito Mussolini

4dllc1

CHAPTER SEVEN:
The Illyrians Part II

On March 1, 1938, it became apparent that the Western democracies were unwilling or unable to assist the beleaguered Yugoslavian state. So, after the self-imposed stalemate of four months for the aborted peace process, Mussolini gave the order to start the spring offensive.

dx9u60

There was nothing subtle about the plan of assault. The Italian forces up and down the line were simply instructed to destroy the forces opposite to them.

vm2swz

The Yugoslavian army broke again and collapsed towards Belgrade. Two divisions under Gens. Pelligra and di Baldessero crossed the Danube River at Senta and advanced on Kikinda and Jasa Tomic to approach Belgrade from the north. The end was near.

ili5nv

On March 23, 1938, little more than three weeks after hostilities resumed, and before the Regio Esercito reached the capital, the Yugoslavian government unconditionally surrendered.

msq7jw

Illyria became the newest province in the Kingdom of Italy.

8echn4

After the annexation. Mussolini waited for the inevitable protest from France and the United Kingdom, but it never came. Diplomatic relations remained unchanged. After Chamberlain’s efforts to promote peace were frustrated, the UK seemed to withdraw diplomatically. Both England and France seemed more distracted by the more existential threat posed by Germany. It seemed as if the UK was going to allow Italy a free hand in the Balkans so long as Italy did not directly threaten the UK’s vital interests, which in the area were minimal. Mussolini had taken the measure of Chamberlain and found him wanting. Mussolini vowed to take advantage of the situation as long as this man remained in office and until he was replace by a man made of sterner stuff.

Last edited:
Excellent AAR! And so Yugoslavia becomes Mussolini's Czechoslovakia. Did you script an event, or is this role-playing?

I'm currently playing an atypical Italy game similar to this, but with different twists. Looking forward to seeing how much fun you have with it, as I'm having with mine!

Rensslaer

p.s. Man, you're updating fast! :p Just got a new update as I was writing. A piece of advice, though... If you want to generate a fanbase or recurring interest, you should slow down and post maybe once a day or every couple of days. Otherwise people may come through, read the whole thing, and then move on. Posting on an occasional schedule allows more people time to keep up, and generates more comments, and people will want to come back to see the latest.

Piktoonis, ElasticFish, Peterhoi3, HecNev, EnragedKiwi: Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed playing it and writing it.

TheBromgrev: I'm playing in unmodded Semper Fi. So, there is nothing I could do about the Anschluss. Don't worry, though. Benito is just biding his time.

Saintis: TheBromgrev is right about Ethiopia. I have played Italy several times, and it is really impossible to defend if you end up at war with the UK. One clever option is to just pull all your troops out and allow Ethiopia to overrun your colony. It really isn't worth much, and the benefit to your industry of a perpetual war against a non-power like Ethiopia is huge. However, that is definitely gamey, as there should be a massive hit in dissent to losing in Abyssinia, but there is not. But I do not see anything gamey about toying with the Ethiopians like a cat with a mouse until you can attack Yugoslavia. You really can improve your generals and troops by gaining experience down there. In my opinion, the wild swings in IC between Italy's short wars is far more gamey.

I decide to make Ethiopia a puppet, because it can generate rebels and garrisoning that area beyond the Suez canal is just not worth it.

Also, no, the UK ultimatum did not happen in game. That was just a little literary license to explain why the UK was letting Italy run rampant and to justify my milking of the system of four more months of wartime IC. Yugoslavia just collapsed too soon. I needed more time for my spies to lower my neutrality and raise Albania's threat. Remember, it is much harder to declare war as Italy if you are not an Axis member.

Anyway guys, thanks for reading. It should be fun.

Rensslaer: Thanks for reading and the advice. I am trying to catch up with the game which is in 1941. I am sure that the updates will slow down soon. In fact, I doubt we'll get another update until the middle of next week.

Last edited:
I have to admit I'm surprised that you really put up a winter-pause in your invasion for such a long time!

That's all but common and makes the AAR seem a little less gamey after your war against Ethiopia.

I had wondered, in the back of my mind, if your pause was so that you could keep the wartime IC bonuses! :)

But I love the way you explained it in a believable way, very much like what really happened with Czechoslovakia and Munich.

I also really like the way you're portraying Mussolini, and as other posters have said, the pictures -- the specific images, even -- you're using for illustration really contribute to the mood and feel of this!

It just occurred to me how much Mussolini reminds me of Vladimir Putin, or vice versa -- very conscious of the value of a controlled public image.

Rensslaer

Well the annexation of Albania decision does not require that Italy is an axis member , you could just wait it! otherwise , good AAR :)

CHAPTER EIGHT: July 18-22, 1938: Return To Vlore

Let us have a dagger between our teeth, a bomb in our hands, and an infinite scorn in our hearts. -- Benito Mussolini

aq91jk

CHAPTER EIGHT:
July 18-22, 1938: Return To Vlore

Mussolini had long desired the tiny kingdom on the opposite shore of the Southern Adriatic Sea. With control of the port at Vlore, Italy could dominate the entrance and exit to that sea. Even before Mussolini’s reign, the importance of the location had been identified by Italian strategists. The Italian kingdom, in exchange for Italy’s agreement to enter the first world war on the side of the allies, had actually been promised the port and the territory around the port by France and the United Kingdom as part of Italy’s "compensation" in the Secret Treaty of London (1915). During the war, Italy occupied Vlore and half of the nation to prevent the strategically important port from falling into the hands of the Austro-Hungarians. At the wars conclusion, Italy refused to withdraw, leading to the Vlore War with Albanian patriots in 1920. The Albanian freedom fighters rose up so fast in revolt against the Italian garrison that it was over before reinforcements could be rushed to the scene. This defeat led Italy to withdraw its garrison and surrender its claim to the important port. Mussolini, of course, always saw this defeat as a humiliation of his nation that needed to be rectified. However, once he came to power, he was willing to bide his time until the time was right.

Following the Italian adage to keep your friends close, but your enemies closer, Italy entered into a series of treaties and relationships with the Albanian nation. The Albanian government was subsidized by Italian loans, and the Albanian army was taught by Italian instructors. Although Italian influence was pervasive, King Zog I refused to surrender his nation's autonomy. In 1931, King Zog refused to renew the defensive treaty with Italy, and he sought to strengthen relations with Yugoslavia and Greece. However, now, with the sudden collapse of Yugoslavia and the presence of a mighty Italian army on the Albania border, it was clear that King Zog had selected the wrong friends.

In the end, the pretext for the war on Albania was similar to that used by the classical Athenians against the Melians, “the strong do what they can, the weak suffer what they must.” Italy wanted that port and needed that airbase. Those wants and needs were justification enough. On July 18, 1938, Ciano delivered the ultimatum to King Zog. Albania must immediately accede to Italian occupation. In exchange, he and his wife, newly pregnant with his first child and the only heir to his throne, would be permitted to retire in luxury to an estate provided by the Italian government. King Zog refused to sell out his country, but he also failed to fight for its independence.

iidw78

On July 19, 1938, Italy declared war on Albania. King Zog's initial plan was to mount a resistance in the mountains with his Italian trained troops, leaving the ports and main cities undefended, but Italian agents placed in Albania as military instructors sabotaged his plan. The Albanians discovered that their artillery pieces had been disabled, and ammunition stores had been destroyed. As a consequence, the only token resistance was offered by gendarmes and small groups of patriots. Meanwhile, the King abandoned the cause of his country, and he and his wife slipped across the Greek border.

wttg2v

The mechanics of the occupation were left to Gen. Roatta’s IV Corpo d’Armata dell’A.O.I. consisting of four mixed mountain divisions and Gen. Scattini’s VI Corpo d’Armata consisting of four pure mountain divisions. Gen. Roatta moved from the newly acquired former-Yugoslavian province of Gostivar into Albanian territory through Tirane on towards his ultimate objective of Vlore along the Greek border. Gen. Scattini followed shortly behind but instead advance through Tirane to Korce along the Greek border. The conquest of the nation of Albania was just an afterthought along Regio Esercito's way to the next mission. Once Tirane was secured, Italian aircraft were rebased to the landing strip located there.

The population was confused and rightly felt abandoned. It took a few days for them to designate a representative of the people, but on July 22, 1938, they unconditionally surrendered.

mhoul0

Albania became a part of the new Italian empire.

fofvkp

Last edited:
Very good RP and writing! Is the next target Greece?

Chapter Nine: Vendetta For Tellini (7/20/38 - 8/24/38)

War is to man what maternity is to a woman. From a philosophical and doctrinal viewpoint, I do not believe in perpetual peace. -- Benito Mussolini​

l0l3eh

Mussolini confers with General Messe prior to the operation

Chapter Nine: Vendetta For Tellini (7/20/38 - 8/24/38)

The Romans ruled Greece for over 1,000 years between the time that Flaminius’ legions defeated the long spears of Philip V of Macedonia at Cynoscephalae until the fall of the Eastern Roman Empire at the hands of the Ottoman Turks. No reestablishment of the Roman Empire would be complete without dominance over the other major Mediterranean peninsula. However, not all disputes between Italy and Greece were of the ancient variety. Italy had come into conflict with Greece during the occupation of Turkey after the first world war. There were clashes, and Italy even assisted Turkish nationals in their war against Greece. Greece was also angered at Italy for its continued occupation of the Dodecanese islands, which Italy captured from the Turks in 1912 and which Greece contended Italy promised to return to Greece in the 1919 Venizelos-Tittoni accords. Furthermore, Italy now possessed Albania and with it significant claims to territories in Greek Eprius.

Then there was the murder of Gen. Enrico Tellini. In 1923, shortly after Mussolini came to power, Italy was working with the League of Nations on a border dispute between Greece and Albania. Gen. Tellini, a personal friend of Mussolini, was the leader of the Italian delegation. He and three of his staff were murdered by Greek nationals for suspected bias in favor of Albania. This led to a brief invasion of the island of Corfu by Italy, but the League intervened in this dispute too. Greece apologized for the murders, Italy returned Corfu, but the affront and hard feelings remained.

In the end, all these disputes were pretext. Greece was in what Mussolini deemed to be Italy’s sphere of influence. Greece would submit, or there would be war.

Ioannis Metaxas had become the prime minister of Greece in April of 1936, but suspended parliament, and declared himself dictator just four months later. On the eve of July 19, 1938, Italy's ambassador in Athens, Emanuele Grazzi, handed an ultimatum from Mussolini to Metaxas. In it, the Duce demanded free passage for his troops to occupy unspecified "strategic points" inside Greek territory. Metaxas rejected the ultimatum with the words "Alors, c'est la guerre" (French for "Then, it's war.").

On July 20, 1938, Italy declared war on Greece.

Shortly thereafter, Metaxas broadcast a stirring radio address to his people, borrowing the words of the ancient Greek playwright Aeschylus: "The time has come for Greece to fight for her independence. Greeks, now we must prove ourselves worthy of our forefathers and the freedom they bestowed upon us. Greeks, now fight for your Fatherland, for your wives, for your children and the sacred traditions. Now, above all, the struggle!" The Greeks took to the streets, sang patriotic songs and shouted anti-Italian slogans. Hundreds of thousands of volunteers headed to the Army recruitment offices to enlist. In addition to these new recruits, the Greek army at the time of the invasion had a professional force that had just upgraded its military equipment to the state of the art, and they held well prepared and strong defensive positions.

vz1bbg

When devising the battle plan against Greece, Mussolini inquired of the Chief of the General Staff, Marshal Pietro Badoglio, how many divisions would be required at the start of the invasion of Greece. Badoglio answer was at least 20. Mussolini, prudently accepted the conservative advice of his generals and endeavored to make available no less than 24 infantry and / or Alpini divisions, plus a corps of 4 mobile armi combinate divisions.

xsrg8k

The day after the rejection of the ultimatum, July 21, 1938, the assault on the Greek border commenced. Gen. Pintor’s four infantry divisions attacked south from Bitola to Kastoria. That attack was supported by Scattini’s four pure mountain divisions attacking from Korce. Also attacking from Bitola, but southeast towards Florina was Messe’s Corpo d’Celere forming the Italian spearhead. They sent the Greek border guards reeling backwards. Meanwhile Gen. Aymonnino’s Corpo d’Armata Eritreo consisting of four infantry divisions attacked from Veles southeast to Edessa. All three of these attacks were successful forming a sizable bulge in the middle of the Greek line.

gnmgf0

Once Pintor’s army secured Kastoria, his divisions were in a good position to concentrate artillery fire on the Greek fortified position at Ioannina. With the support of Pintor's four infantry divisions as well as Gen. Roatta’s four mixed Alpini, Scattini’s four pure mountaineer divisions stormed the fortifications. The Greeks had a strong position, but the Regio Esercito brought to bear tremendous firepower from three separate directions. The Greek infantry were forced to abandon their fortifications. On the other side of the front, Messe continued with his attack from Florina to Kozani and Aymonnino’s corps press its attack from Edessa to Meliki, effectively cutting off Salonika from the rest of the country.

4knibc

Meanwhile in the Ionian Sea, Mussolini rebased three naval bombers to the airbase at Rhodes where they were in a perfect position to scatter a Greek fleet heading to the Dodecanese in an attempted invasion. Mussolini also rebased 5 submarine flotillas to the Dodecanese where they proceeded to pillage the Greek convoys.

Now that the northern offensive was well established and advancing steadily, and the Greek army had plenty of time to react to the threat to its northern border, it was time for Mussolini to launch his new secret weapon. Up to this time, Italy’s research and rearmament program had been predominately targeted to increasing the firepower of the divisions in the Regio Esercito. Other than development and construction of aircraft carriers and carrier air groups (none of which had yet been deployed), little had been done to enhance the abilities of the Regia Marina. However, Mussolini had commissioned research on basing doctrine to better enable supplies to be shipped through overseas ports. He also developed marine fighters for the Regia Marina. These elite shock troops were recruited from the best young men in all of Italy and had an esprit de corps second to none.

ntnexa

Mussolini had raised four marine divisions consisting of two marine brigades and two artillery brigades each, similar to the infantry and mixed mountain divisions. As prelude to the invasion, two heavy battle fleets consisting of two battleships each plus screens moved into position off the Attic coast and at the mouth of the Piraeus. The Greek fleet refused to give battle. So, on August 7, 1938, a transportation flotilla of troop transports guarded by three heavy cruisers and various screens attempted to land the four marine divisions with their artillery at the Piraeus for a lightning strike on Athens.

gd2fwp

The attack achieved operational surprise, and the Greeks only had a two brigade garrison division and two headquarters to defend Athens. However, the Italians had made a fatal flaw in their first ever marine-based amphibious assault. The artillery brigades were totally ineffective and proved more of a detriment than an asset to the marines as they attempted to establish a beachhead.

qss80r

The marines, weighed down by the artillery, could not make any headway and could not get their guns off the beaches. Eventually, and to avoid dangerous overcrowding of troops, Gen Romero’s marine division was thrown ashore on the island on Chalkida from where they attempted to participate in the assault on Athens. However, once again, the channel crossing was impaired by the existence of the artillery support. Furthermore, the island was without an adequate port and supplies had to be flown in on transport planes that were stationed on Rhodes for just such a purpose.

Two weeks later, the four marine divisions were still struggling to establish a foothold, while the assault on the northern front was still going according to Mussolini’s plans.

3zeqx5

The Greek border had been fortified at Giannitsa, but instead of a head on assault of this fortified province like was tried at Iaonnina. The Italians decided to bypass and encircle this defensive position. The strategy paid off. Aymonnino’s corps continued its offensive South towards Athens from Meliki to Katerini to Larissa. The gaps in the line investing Giannitsa created by the advancing troops were filled in by the two corps held in reserve led by Gens. Fautilli and Mancinelli. However, before the encirclement could be completed, the Greeks abandoned their fortifications without a fight. These two corps occupied the empty fortifications and on August 12, 1938 pressed their attack on Kilkis which would enable the Italians to increase the combat frontage for the assault of Salonika. The two Greek infantry divisions withdrew from Kilkis and prepared for a last stand in the streets of Salonika. Meanwhile, to the south, Messe’s Celere corps pushed ever southward towards Athens from Kozani to Sykia to Trikala.

troge4

On August 21, 1938, the Greeks, who had been diligently holding their line together, seemed to crack. Fautilli and Mancinelli took Salonika in the north. In the south, Roatta’s corps had marched southeast pushing the Greeks from Morfi, to Arta to Astakos. Scattini’s Alpini took Thesprotiko and push towards Agrinio. Aymonnino’s corp advanced from Larissa to Volos to Lamia and joined in on Messe’s attack on Gardiki. The northern front was collapsing on Athens regardless of the slow progress of the marine landing. Then, even the marines managed to secure a foothold on the Piraeus and press their attack on Athens proper.

ferlauto

On August 24, 1938, before the ground troops from the north approached the city limits (to the eternal relief of the Regia Marina), the marines occupied the government buildings in downtown Athens and hoisted il Tricolore on the Acropolis. Metaxas was captured and immediately offered unconditional surrender.

fwtoss

Greece was added as the next province to the Italian Empire.

m7cvz1

Last edited:
Just an FYI, in case you don't know, adding artillery to marine brigades is a very bad idea. Artillery has *huge* penalties to amphibious attack, and as a result the artillery's penalty will more than counteract your marine's bonus and make the entire division less effective than if you only had 2 marine brigades.

Just an FYI, in case you don't know, adding artillery to marine brigades is a very bad idea. Artillery has *huge* penalties to amphibious attack, and as a result the artillery's penalty will more than counteract your marine's bonus and make the entire division less effective than if you only had 2 marine brigades.
Il Duce certainly learned his lesson with that fiasco at Athens. He will not be making that same mistake again.

I'm Italian and I love playing Italians in HOI III, thus I subscribe this nice AAR.
I followed your Greek Campaign ... usually I find that engineers are the best choice for marine divisions ... some high rank officer of Superesercito
will certainly give this advice to old Benito, I guess ... :)

Fun aar - enjoying it very much :). Tried to do something similar in one game, playing SF 2.04 HPP, but as soon as I started my invasion of Yugoslavia, I was DOW'd by Germany, France and the Allies, USSR. Obvioulsy I didn't last too long! A different diplomatic model at work I think!
Anyway, looking forward to your next update.