• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JimboOmega

General
55 Badges
Jun 22, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Short Version: I declared war on China while the UK was at war with them. Within a few months the UK intervened on the Chinese side. How can I stop this? Does good relations with the UK help?

In my Dai Nam game I had become civilized and was looking to expand beyond the small area I had access to. I sat on my hands waiting for something to happen that would let me invade China, because making a protectorate out of Brunei or whatever seemed like a waste. I also don't have any naval techs, focusing on tech-making techs and literacy.

Finally I noticed that Venezuela was asking me for military access - so I knew something was up. I looked to see who was at war, and I saw a massive stack of flags on one side (led by UK), and China on the other.

This was my big chance. UK stacks were dueling with Chinese stacks just on the other side of our border, clearing a nice space for me to slide over and set up for a defensive war. Things went well at first, with some big wins giving me almost 10% warscore. China started a battle where they were at a net disadvantage of -5; so even while my tech was not super modern, it was a huge slaughter. I lost a few, but was able to push them back...

Then suddenly I got a huge wave of battle lost popups - the UK, despite military access and etc, had intervened on the chinese side, and their armies returning from the front had declared war, and their navy had sunk my tiny blockade force...

Russia dogpiled on, but was not a big concern.

Is there any way to prevent this sort of thing?

they can intervene if they have friendly relationship with them
so, put your diplomatic priority to china and decrease their relationship with britain

Just to be clear - that's influence, not relations.

So I understand it - if I was a GP I could reduce the UK down from "Friendly" and avoid this situation.

As merely a civilized nation all I can do is improve my own relations with the UK, so I'm in bad shape. The UK would probably interfere even at 200 relations, even though they were just fighting China - right?

I guess I need to find a non-sphered unciv... somewhere...

Declaring war on someone really should set relations to "Hostile" IMO.

I agree that there should be an increased penalty for declaring war. It might make the "Add to Sphere" CB a bit more useful as well -- though I don't know how effectively the AI would make use of this. I'm sure there are situations that defy this ... but short of a favourable foreign ministry being implemented as part of a truce (the aforementioned CB) I see no reason why two governments would buddy up after a war. I'm not sure how much rebalancing this might require.

I find this feature to be extremely annoying. I mean, Im never friends with any of the AI's after I beat the crap out of them. Why should the AI have an advantage?

The AI has no advantage. The player also keeps friendly (or other relations) during and after a war. The difference is that you cannot gain influence a country _after_ war. During the war is alright though. Does it make sense? No. But that is the way it functions.

The AI has no advantage. The player also keeps friendly (or other relations) during and after a war. The difference is that you cannot gain influence a country _after_ war. During the war is alright though. Does it make sense? No. But that is the way it functions.

So the AI can gain influence after a war but the player cannot?

It's all irrelevant to me unless I obtain GP status.

So the AI can gain influence after a war but the player cannot?

It's all irrelevant to me unless I obtain GP status.

no ai cant gain influence after a war
but it frankly spends the influence that was collected before the peace agreement