• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey guys! Here is todays update, but I have a question. I will be honest. Westernizing as Dai Nam isn't the most exciting thing in the world. So instead of trying to gather scraps of of interesting gameplay, I will just alternate between narrative and narrative/gameplay updates until things really heat up. Tell me if this sounds good to you or not! Thanks.

Chapter 5 - A Chat With Christopher

After returning from seeing our reformed army, me and Le Lo set out to speak with British man who had recently arrived. We found him sitting in the foyer outside our room. He was dressed lavishly in clothing slightly too big for his small physique. He seemed the average Westerner except for one thing. He bore a large tatoo across his right arm. He covered it when he saw me looking at it though. After a few moments he spoke.

"Now, before we get to down to business, I bring a gift from the British goverment. Behold a prototype camera!"

He handed me a massive box that looked to be made of wood. I did my best to act confused. I struggled not to laugh as he explained to me what a camera was. Le Loi was impressed though. Once he was done explaining, he showed me how to take a picture of someone. I practiced on him, for even with my knowledge of digital cameras, I had no idea how to use this thing with any sort of skill. My first picture of Christopher turned out pretty well though.

display_image.jpg

Christopher

It was a enjoyable experience toying with the camera but eventually we got to the discussions of what we were going to do to modernize. Before he started making suggestions, I showed him the reforms we had already enacted and our new army. As we stood on the balcony observing the military (who now looked rather displeased with having to stand there for several hours) he spoke again.

"Wow, this is truly astounding! It is almost like you have a little angel on your shoulder telling you all the right things to do!"

I smiled.

"More like a devil."

Le Loi slapped me in the back the neck. I tried to slap him back but only succeded in hitting myself. Christopher looked at me in a odd way.

"Mosquitoes are terrible this time of year."

"I see. So, how do you speak English?"

We walked back inside and sat down in the foyer again. I ordered tea. I did this all as a delay while I desperately though up a story.

"I know it from a American. He taught me as a child."

This wasn't a complete lie.

"Interesting. Anywho, I have some suggestions as the future of our nation. These are just genral goals though. He laid out a what he called "The Plan for Dai Nam".

antique-2-1.jpg

I could almost feel Le Loi smiling on my shoulder. He whispered in my ear.

"This is my kinda plan!"

I ignored him and spoke to Christopher.

"This is quite ambitious. You do not mind open war with the Europeans?"

He ran his hand up and down his now revealed tatooed arm.

"Not at all, my loyalties may be a bit different thant what you expect."

"How so?"

Le Loi tugged on my ear.

"That is a Vietnamese tatoo!"

I look at Christopher with a smile.

"Excellent..."

They won't normally be this short, but I was a little strapped for time today. So what do you guys think of this alternating short narrative to long gameplay/narrative update format? Hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:
I just love this AAR... Congratz for the nomination!

As long as I can keep track of where you're going, use whatever style you like. Good work so far!

Wow, what a truely entertaining AAR...

A humour/comic AAR is notourisly hard to pull-off (which is why I've never treid it :D ), but you are managing it sir!

@Boris Don't worry, once I get in good shape, there will be plenty of gameplay.
@Clendor Glad you are enjoying it!
@Avindian Thanks, glad you like it.
@SirCliveWolfe I am honored. Thank you. I am loving your AAR as well!

Sorry guys, I just got back. I promise a super update this weekend.

Last edited:
Wow, I just played for another two hours, and things sure do heat up! But in the meantime, here is another incredibly short pure narrative update. The next update will practically be a full page because there is so much stuff going on! Le Loi can barely handle it. Enjoy!

Another day, another advancement. Things were progressing quite smooth, especially after the arrival of Christopher. We still had not figured out the mystery of the tatoo though. But for the meantime, I was just happy to have his technical expertise around. Not everything was so wonderful though. Though not directly affecting Vietnam, the British had begun a full scale invasion of China. This considerably decreased Asia's already low opinion of the superpower, prompting several nations such as Korea and Siam to join the Chinese. This could possibly bring the British to our border, and that was never fun. Considering the fact that me and Le Loi were extremely nervous, I would hate to be in China.

Chapter 5 1/2 - Approach

Unknown Location in Tibet

May 13th of Unknown Year

A man poked his head out of the bushes as a British regiment marched by. It was not long before another tiny head appeared besides his. The small one spoke in a whisper.

"You know, if you weren't my tether, I would have caught Le Loi by now!"

The man who's shoulder he sat on had a irritated look on his face.

"How would that help our current situation?"

"I don't know, but then at least we could have defended our country with our last mission not in limbo! They might notice we are gone!"

"Get over your personal vendetta against the other little guy. That happened like four hundred years ago. Meanwhile Yongle, we are surrounded by British. Get us out of this situation."

"It doesn't matter how long ago it happened! But you have a point.... hold up for one second."

The small one called Yongle climbed up on the head of the large man. He struggled. Yongle hissed at him.

"Stay still Zi-Ang! I am trying to see!"

Yongle spotted a way out though. He saw a cannon not so far away that was armed and ready. He may not be at full strength, but he can still make things happen. He pushed out his arm towards the cannon, causing the fuse to light. The soldiers didn't notice until it went off. Yongle and Zi-Ang escaped while the soldiers try to discover the source. Unsurprisingly though, they did not search very hard and were soon lounging.

British-infantry-piling-arms.jpg

This gave Yongle and Zi-Ang the chance to finish them. They climbed up in a tree and watched. Zi-Ang made a bird call, and waited for a few moments. Then, a few hundred Chinese troops broke out of the trees and quickly destroyed the regiment. There was nothing epic about it as the British were quickly overwhelmed.

Yongle was not satisfied though. His powers would not always be there to assist the Chinese. This may be the only battle they won during the war. He was right.

He needed Le Loi...

Sorry it is so short, but this is actually buildup to something very big. It's coming Thursday.

:Shameless Promotion of Massive Chapter Ahead:

And you aren't gonna want to miss it.

Last edited:
Wow, what a break. I felt I need a little time let me creative juices start to flow again because I thought the story was starting to stagnate a little. So, I'm back with a slightly different angle. During my extended break I reviewed my content and found that I was much less satisfied with the game play portions of it. I had to use weak plot devices to ensure the story maintained some kind of plausibility which is kinda silly considering you basically play as G-d during the actual game. So, I'm going to switch this to a completely narrative AAR. I am infinitely more comfortable with this and feel that will allow me to present you with a stronger and funnier storyline. Thanks for your patience. Le Loi is back to breath a little comedic life into the Vicky 2 AAR section!