+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16 41 56 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1438

Thread: "Day of Glory" — Saturdays, 10:00 EST

Resident Opportunist King of Men's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

I was banned from religion threads before it was cool. And after it was cool.
    Our new Persian player didn't show, so the position is open for anyone who wants it.
    MP Megacampaigns :
    The Great Game: CK, EU2, EU2 stats, Vicky, Doomsday.
    There Will Be War: CK, EU3, Vicky, Arma.
    Children of the Fatherland: Crusader Kings. Divine Wind I II Victoria 2
    Final update 22-January-2013: Final Overview
    God Will Know His Own: CK2 EU3

I'm sad to see Qin beaten down like this, but I guess he was asking for it. He got himself into a position where every major power hated him.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeYoshi View Post
    Map
    Is that the Rus or the Khanate directly north of Qin? It looks a bit darker than Mongolia to me, but I don't have anything to compare to. Anyhow I see a couple of coastal cities taken by Kongo, was that what you refered to KoM? Gief info to peanut please? In doublespeak if possible.

Mushroom Korps Field Marshal OrangeYoshi's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Is that the Rus or the Khanate directly north of Qin? It looks a bit darker than Mongolia to me, but I don't have anything to compare to. Anyhow I see a couple of coastal cities taken by Kongo, was that what you refered to KoM? Gief info to peanut please? In doublespeak if possible.
    Khanate lost 5 Korean culture provinces to Kongo.

Khanate is indeed the nation north of Qin.
    On Ubik: "HE GETS TO BE SMUG AFTER CARVING THE FACE OF PERFECTION USING THE SPOON OF INSPIRATION UPON THE BUTTOCKS OF AN ANGEL"

────── OrangeYoshi's Newbie Sig Information Center: Help is just a click away... ──────
    EU3 Wiki lll Paradox Acronyms lll FAQ Forum lll General FAQ lll Siege FAQ lll Patrolling Guidelines
    No Time Limit Mod lll Quick Questions Quick Answers

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

The Khanate is still north of Qin. I lost Best Korea to Kongo and one province to Punjab; Russia, fortunately, wasn't in the war. Or it would have been rather shorter. Although, to be fair, their neutrality did force Bavaria to keep considerable forces in Europe.

Briefly, the Great Powers - Ethiopia, Bavaria, Catalunya, and Croatia - with some yapping jackals in support, decided that Qin should be stripped of its ability to intervene in the affairs of Europe. They therefore ended the war that we had at the start of the session by demanding a chunk of Chinese coast - the blue bit in the screenie - to Ethiopia; additionally Khmer was rewarded for its lies (Ike had promised to fight on Qin's side) with another five provinces, and Kongo got Best Korea. We were then told that the attacks would continue while China had a coastline. In an attempt to comply with this outrageous demand while maintaining some semblance of sovereignty, China signed over South Korea to Japan, and agreed to sign over its remaining coastline to the Khanate. We were then informed that this was insufficient, that the coast had to be given to the coalition; all pretence of concern for the balance of power was thus abandoned, and the contours of the naked land grab became clear. China then became a vassal of Japan, and Asia cast its defiance at the Great Powers.

Alas, our powers were not sufficient. Attacked by Bavaria and Ethiopia from the southeast, and by lapdog Khmer and Kongo from the southwest, we nevertheless stood firm on the Asian mainland. But Japan alone could not keep the seas against the combined fleets of Ethiopia and Catalunya, and in short order groaned under the boots of invaders. Jackal Punjab was bought off with the single province of Altishar; but when Croatia joined its forces to the Kongolese attack out of Croatia, even the 180 regiments freed by that surrender were insufficient to defend the Khanate. With Japan effectively out of the war, we therefore perforce accepted the Unequal Treaty dictated to us.

Some images from the war. At the beginning, believe it or not, Khmer actually had the temerity to attack us - in Dangla, at that, some of the best defensive terrain in the world!

That was over pretty quickly, to be sure. We then went in and seized Qamdo, also some of the best defensive terrain in the world, not that this did Ike any good:

and held it against a rather monotonous series of counterattacks:

At some point Kongolese troops joined the Khmerese ones, with very similar results:

As you can see, it wasn't the fighting quality of our enemies that forced us to accept their diktat. Rather, it was sheer numbers. Here is a glimpse at the Taklamakan campaign, in which the Punjabi jackals treacherously stabbed me in the back and forced me to pull troops from the victorious advance into Khmer to deal with them:

As you can see, Punjabis fight about as well as Khmerese. Alas, in the end 90 regiments cannot stand against 230.

Finally, the early stages of the Korean campaign, in which I'm driving back the initial Kongolese attack:

Unfortunately, once Japan lost control of the seas, Croatia reinforced the Kongolese with about 300 regiments, and I couldn't stand against that.
    MP Megacampaigns :

Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Well, that and the fact that once I joined the battles started looking like this:

My men have the best morale in the world.
    On Ubik: "HE GETS TO BE SMUG AFTER CARVING THE FACE OF PERFECTION USING THE SPOON OF INSPIRATION UPON THE BUTTOCKS OF AN ANGEL"

────── OrangeYoshi's Newbie Sig Information Center: Help is just a click away... ──────
    EU3 Wiki lll Paradox Acronyms lll FAQ Forum lll General FAQ lll Siege FAQ lll Patrolling Guidelines

HoI AnthologyCommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by King of Men View Post
    As you can see, it wasn't the fighting quality of our enemies that forced us to accept their diktat.
    Oh, yes it was! The fighting quality of the Ethiopian Royal Navy, led by a pair of geniuses!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRise of PrussiaEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

And you forgot to mention that I did trapped 90k khanate legionnaries in the Sinkiang desert with my costly victory. Strategy trumps tactics!

(and stack wipped a legion )

Glorious Punjabi's feats of arms shall not be forgotten!
    Last edited by Matnjord; 21-01-2012 at 23:02.
    Ex-Mustachioed Maharajah of Punjab in Day of Glory

Friederich Muss Sterben A PBEM RoP gameplay AAR.

500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Matnjord View Post
    And you forgot to mention that I did trapped 90k khanate legionnaries in the Sinkiang desert with my costly victory. Strategy trumps tactics!
    Nah, I could easily have got out of there, but once you were out into the open steppe it wasn't worth continuing the fight on that front.

and stack wiped a legion
    No you didn't.
    MP Megacampaigns :

Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    No you didn't.
    He stack wiped a Qin army.

Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRise of PrussiaEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Yes I did, when I first entered your territory my troops met a single legion (approximatively 27k) and obliterated them.

Nah, I could easily have got out of there, but once you were out into the open steppe it wasn't worth continuing the fight on that front.
    I'm sure 90k men would have easily escapped with 230k gurkhas coming from the north and 200K coming from the west!

He stack wiped a Qin army.
    That was in the previous war, when I paid back for their unfortunate death.

500k club

Yes I did, when I first entered your territory my troops met a single legion (approximatively 27k) and obliterated them.
    Ah, ok. That wasn't a Legion, those were just a local garrison troops, rebel hunters.

I'm sure 90k men would have easily escapped with 230k gurkhas coming from the north and 200K coming from the west!
    Yes, in fact they would have; they only needed to move one province and they had leaders with high Maneuver scores. They would have gotten there first, survived a few days of battle with your doomstack, and then been free to retreat east. I remind you that in the previous war I managed to retreat an army from Poland into Denmark through enemy territory, pursued all the while by a Bavarian doomstack. It's really quite hard to destroy a stack of any size in the current tech environment.
    MP Megacampaigns :

Yes, in fact they would have; they only needed to move one province and they had leaders with high Maneuver scores. They would have gotten there first, survived a few days of battle with your doomstack, and then been free to retreat east. I remind you that in the previous war I managed to retreat an army from Poland into Denmark through enemy territory, pursued all the while by a Bavarian doomstack. It's really quite hard to destroy a stack of any size in the current tech environment.
    Maybe, anyway none of this happened, so who knows?

Ah, ok. That wasn't a Legion, those were just a local garrison troops, rebel hunters.
    Dang, my general fooled me by bringing a false eagle! He shall be executed!

500k club

Dang, my general fooled me by bringing a false eagle! He shall be executed!
    Next time make them show you captured cannon. Local garrisons aren't given the scale of equipment that Legions, intended to face the armies of Great Powers in set-piece battles, get.
    MP Megacampaigns :

Next time make them show you captured cannon. Local garrisons aren't given the scale of equipment that Legions, intended to face the armies of Great Powers in set-piece battles, get.
    From this day onward, generals will have to bring back cannons in order to prove their victories! Cannons! And great parades shall be organized to showcase those cannons!

Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Who was that peanut that said large exchanges of land this late in EU3 were impossible?

500k club

He clearly had not expected four Great Powers and two helpers to gang up on three middle-rank nations.
    MP Megacampaigns :

Hmmm. I would have ranked Qin as a land great power (if the ability to project a thousand regiments to the other side of the globe doesn't make you one, what does?) and Japan as a naval great power before today.
    Emperor of Ethiopia, High King of Ceylon, Sultan of Arabia, Prince of Antioch and Damascus, Lord Protector of the Tamil Coast, Maharaja of Gujarat, Lord Protector of Java and Sumatra, Archduke of Australia, Autocrat from Carthage to the Cape, Sea Lord of the East Pacific, Caliph of Baghdad, and Defender of the Ark of the Covenant in Tyranny's Bloody Banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Irsh Faq View Post
    Hmmm. I would have ranked Qin as a land great power (if the ability to project a thousand regiments to the other side of the globe doesn't make you one, what does?) and Japan as a naval great power before today.
    Still forgetting the whole overwhelming economic force irsh. Outspent at least ten to one, please do explain the honor in gang raping a power whose only mistake was not to be a ruthless powermonger.

I had only 1200 regiments at the start of hostilities, i had at least 100k stackwiped by Punjab. Facing off against several other countries where 1 million is the MINIMUM amount of force an country is expected to wield as a deterrent.

And I was NEVER able to project 1000 regiments, never; i sent 1000 but everyone can tell you it was a fundamentally stupid decision to make as i certainly did not have 1000 regiments back home. That isn't power project, thats being sucidally reckless, its pretension to great power status, I never had the economy or diplomatic positioning to compete.

I am pretty well disgusted with most of the players here and feel that Jodokus and Golle have had the right idea, I really don't see any reason to get out of bed next week. People will lie to you point blank in the face; I only lost that land for one reason, because i was given false reassurance of aid.

I was lied to by both Punjab and Khmer that they would be coming to our aid, Punjab at the very last minute before session start and Khmer dowed me day 1 instead of dowing V_R. I now know how Lord Eddard from Game of Thrones felt.

Had they they not given me such assurances I would have agreed to the initial peace offer and not have to lose my coast, it is pretty pathetic just how low some people will go to expose just sort of people they truly are.

And now I'm crippled and pretty much out of the game, there's nothing that can be done to recover from this, no one moved to help me even with large promises of aid in the future; and now i have zero I can offer or aid anyone, no one will ever help me from the generosity of their heart, and virtually no one except perhaps KoM will move for balance of power considerations so long as they feel like they can get a slice.

Partition wars are a sickness, it's stupid that 9 countries would feel the overwhelming urge to show off their epeen by gang raping one scolded medium power.

At least half the players in this game have more or less declared they would rather me dead then work to keep the game fun or balanced and have generally conducted themselves in a light unbecomming of being sportive, I really don't know if should or even want to continue.
    Last edited by Sid Meier; 22-01-2012 at 04:47.
    He who wishes to fight must first count the cost. When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and their ardor will be dampened. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength. Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain. Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor dampened, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue... In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

500k club

China is still a significant regional power. Patience, patience; and je me souviens.
    MP Megacampaigns :

+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16 41 56 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast