+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 31 56 ... LastLast

Thread: "Day of Glory" — Saturdays, 10:00 EST

He who wishes to fight must first count the cost. When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and their ardor will be dampened. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength. Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain. Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor dampened, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue... In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Mushroom Korps Field Marshal OrangeYoshi's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    You done got emu'd. *nods*
    On Ubik: "HE GETS TO BE SMUG AFTER CARVING THE FACE OF PERFECTION USING THE SPOON OF INSPIRATION UPON THE BUTTOCKS OF AN ANGEL"

────── OrangeYoshi's Newbie Sig Information Center: Help is just a click away...™ ──────
    EU3 Wiki lll Paradox Acronyms lll FAQ Forum lll General FAQ lll Siege FAQ lll Patrolling Guidelines
    No Time Limit Mod lll Quick Questions Quick Answers

I believe Malacca is stil open.
    He who wishes to fight must first count the cost. When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and their ardor will be dampened. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength. Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain. Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor dampened, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue... In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Comrade Uzkiye Bryuki Emperor Ike's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Yes to Malacca we player need. More the merrier like Robin Hood said to Little John.
    Fan of the Week 16-03-2007
    WritAAR of the Week 26-12-2012

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Blog Entries
    Technically its not open, but that said, Malacca, Oman and Korea are all have the potential to be opened up as 2nd tier power slots. Provided there is sufficient interest (the key issue), and the mighty elected dictator KoM says to open em up :P

Currently trying to discuss whether to have one or two auctions, I feel if its 1 auction (everyone in the same auction europe and rotw) than there needs to be 2-3 copies of each decision so that 1 decision could be had by more than 1 country.

Otherwise no change is needed with 2 auctions.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I'ld like us to confirm to add the following rules:

1) That prior to a real player vs player war and prior to a real player vs AI war that you publicly announce the dow and your war goals in both chat and teamspeak and that the GM confirms hearing it.

Reasoning: I feel that in alot of games alot of people will try to sneakily grab dows on nations even right under your nose and succeed if you happen to be dealing with popups, critical real life shit, or arguments on teamspeak; I've seen plenty of SoI nations get dowed and no pop up either so its not always clear cut.

Also i feel alot of bad blood can be avoided and sportsmanship restored to a common base level if everyone abides by it, increases at least the appearance of politeness even when stabbng you in the kidney and eliminates any and all ambiguity in a dow. I think just about everyone at one time or another lost critical time in the confusion on whether a dow was real, or lost time and money in game to a war they would've folded on instantly had the war goals been clear from the beginning.

Also gives proper time and warning for the diplomatic community to react to any potentially major change; in real life a war wasn't just some back of the mind occurrence that was put on a pile of diplomatic messages and forgotten, even minor roles on the outskirts of Europe attracted *some* European attention.

2) That the war goal you demand at the beginning can only be limited in scope (say 2 provinces or a single cot) or less than 20% warscore but for each year in the war you can publicly on teamspeak or in chat one additional wargoal (another 20%) each year until 100% after which case the sky is the limit, so after 6 years you can attempt to demand and enforce +100% warscore peace deals.

Reasoning: I feel that this can add additional structure to wars, give a little more flavorful roleplaying and time for the defender to organize a defense, this rule is designed to protect subs more than regular players, day 1 dows etc, since most wars in EU3 last about 6 years anyways this shouldn't change all that much but to insure that A) Everyone who might have a stack clearly no your war goals as is plausible with real life, and B) gives the defending some breathing space and the fairness option to fold right away to relatively light demands.

As a corrolly if you demand 20% warscore and he surrenders you have to accept and not destroy his nation or "farm" him to get more war goals, as that is an obvious exploit.

3) Fake wars should probably be banned to clear up any such ambiguity once and for all unless there's specific gm approval to fix a bug or administer an ingame deal.

We have a lot of newer players with us and people who might have never played multiplayer before, these should level the playing field, this isn't a hypercompetitive game.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

HoI AnthologyCommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

No to 1) and 2), to 3): Define "Fake Wars".
    Last edited by von_Rundstedt; 22-04-2011 at 12:27.

Yours is no Disgrace Gollevainen's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by von_Rundstedt View Post
    No to 1) and 2), to 3): Define "Fake Wars".
    +1

Also:
    I'ld like us to confirm to add the following rules:
    Don't start taking a style like you would be in charge of these things, and try to give impression that things (like the above suggestions) would be something else than mere (super-subjective) opinion of possible rules we have...
    Last edited by Gollevainen; 22-04-2011 at 16:12.
    The Professor wrote:
    Also is there a site somewhere where I can google the acronyms you use.

Ulmont wrote:
    Yes. The site is available at www.google.com.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Meier View Post
    ...this isn't a hypercompetitive game.
    You sure were playing the same game? Be the last man standing by HoI sounds fairly competitive to me :P

1) & 2) no
    3) maybe, like Von R said, Define fake wars.

And I agree with Golle, KoM is one who makes the calls, and everyone who is really interested in playing would be posting on the ederon forums to get their voice heard. What you are doing is attracting trolls to debates they have no place in.

Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    No to 1), 2), and 3).

As for it being a hypercompetitive game, you are aware that in the very first phase that 4 player nations were annexed? That's one-third of the playerbase.
    On Ubik: "HE GETS TO BE SMUG AFTER CARVING THE FACE OF PERFECTION USING THE SPOON OF INSPIRATION UPON THE BUTTOCKS OF AN ANGEL"

────── OrangeYoshi's Newbie Sig Information Center: Help is just a click away...™ ──────
    EU3 Wiki lll Paradox Acronyms lll FAQ Forum lll General FAQ lll Siege FAQ lll Patrolling Guidelines

Resident Opportunist King of Men's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

I was banned from religion threads before it was cool. And after it was cool.
    I'm not in favour of the rules Blayne proposes, but I must say I did not find his tone objectionable; his post looked polite enough to me. Perhaps "I'd like to suggest" would be a better formulation than "I'd like to confirm", but really now, I think you gentlemen are just jumping on Blayne for being Blayne, here. And this thread was started early for the purpose, among others, of discussing house rules, so it's hardly off-topic.

Touching the declare-war-on-TS thing, we've had that rule before and it has not really worked too well. It's easy to forget, even if you remember it's easy not to be heard in TS (especially if we're going to have 20 players!), and what's the GM going to do about it, edit out a war that wasn't properly declared? I'm also of the opinion that a player who manages to miss a DOW through dealing with other popups is going to get what he deserves. I'm also not much in favour of limiting war aims; that's what diplomacy and the balance of power are for. And with those two shot down, there seems little reason for banning fake wars.
    MP Megacampaigns :
    The Great Game: CK, EU2, EU2 stats, Vicky, Doomsday.
    There Will Be War: CK, EU3, Vicky, Arma.
    Children of the Fatherland: Crusader Kings. Divine Wind I II Victoria 2
    Final update 22-January-2013: Final Overview
    God Will Know His Own: CK2 EU3

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by King of Men View Post
    You'd think "King of Traitors" would be more euphonious.
    Traitor of Kings seems most accurate, though. Not that I would cast any aspersions on KoM's credibility, though, just his penchant for kidney donations of dubitable consent.

Also some of us do not have a microfoon or cannot use dueing location or social matters.

Purchase a headset, you should at *least* be on teamspeak and can hear us so you know when we rehost; its pretty much mandatory if you want to make it on time to each rehost.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

HoI AnthologyCommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

Purchase a headset, you should at *least* be on teamspeak and can hear us so you know when we rehost; its pretty much mandatory if you want to make it on time to each rehost.
    No, it's not. The chat in eu3 is sufficient for that - we wont have some people on hamachi and some people not on hamachi like we do during CK.

Quote Originally Posted by von_Rundstedt View Post
    No, it's not. The chat in eu3 is sufficient for that - we wont have some people on hamachi and some people not on hamachi like we do during CK.
    Yes its pretty much is, it always you and anyone else not on teamspeak without fail we end up waiting on. There is overwhelming proof that teamspeak improves the multiplayer experience with massive increased coordination.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Yes its pretty much is, it always you and anyone else not on teamspeak without fail we end up waiting on. There is overwhelming proof that teamspeak improves the multiplayer experience with massive increased coordination.
    Claiming that it's "mandatory" is laughable, though. You can be on time to each rehost without teamspeak. All you have to do is actually type "rehost" in the chat.

You make it sound like it's a "get a headset or don't play". Bad attitude.

Yours is no Disgrace Gollevainen's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

playing is indeed possible without TS, but I do agree that things are lot easier sometimes when everybody is on TS...
    + the drama is more "up to your face" in TS, and actually knowing how you chaps sound like is always positive
    The Professor wrote:
    Also is there a site somewhere where I can google the acronyms you use.

Ulmont wrote:
    Yes. The site is available at www.google.com.

Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gollevainen View Post
    and actually knowing how you chaps sound like is always positive
    I beg to differ.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 31 56 ... LastLast