Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hollow Little Reign - Leo Palaiologos, Emperor of the Romans

Amazing. Too bad that such events sequence are actually random - it would be great if AI-characters could calculate their lines of succession and act accordingly (maybe in CK2?).

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourMagickaVictoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Haha, that was excellent.
    The Iron Horde: A Kirghiz Narrative AAR My Inkwell.

"There is nowhere else. You will only tread a circle, Titus Groan. There's not a road, not a track, but it will lead you home. For everything comes to Gormenghast."

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

It's almost like it was in real life :O
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: WarshipsMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thanks for all the new comments! I didn't expect this to resurface.
    Quote Originally Posted by thrashing mad View Post
    Amazing. Too bad that such events sequence are actually random - it would be great if AI-characters could calculate their lines of succession and act accordingly (maybe in CK2?).
    They're random? That is too bad. Still, it made for a great narrative. I'll chalk it up to the "Enough monkeys to write Shakespeare" approach.
    Hollow Little Reign - A brief Crusader Kings tale about family ties in Byzantium.

I guess when you turn your back on narrative it seems that narrative just writes itself.

HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: WarshipsMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffracer RIP View Post
    I guess when you turn your back on narrative it seems that narrative just writes itself.
    That's pretty deep. But it certainly seems applicable here.
    Hollow Little Reign - A brief Crusader Kings tale about family ties in Byzantium.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuyvesant View Post
    That's pretty deep. But it certainly seems applicable here.
    While in my case narrative grows and grows until it takes over my life. 1068 was such an eventful year in my game.

I must say that this is the most impressive thing I’ve ever witnessed in one of my CK games: Eudokia the über-Spy Master coldheartedly murdering her own little brother so that she could put her own infant son on the throne. Pretty much as soon as she gave birth to the little bundle of joy. Talk about motherly love trumping sisterly affection…

FIN
    Not just that...she also made her husband his successor/co-emperor!

You could slap this in a Byzantine history book and nobody would even notice. *laughs*

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Here I am late to the party as ussual, but... yes. Absolutely, blood-like-liquid-nitrogen brilliant. Goes to prove what they say about older siblings resenting the attention the little ones get, doesn't it.

"Mom always liked you best... And now you're dead! AHAAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Now to take care of those pesky Rubenids! Perhaps a dinner party - yes, that's it! A nice little banquet for a hundred or so, with a convivial toast just before we nail the windows shut and set the house on fire!
    "That which does not kill me, has made a grave tactical error." - Jerry Pournelle

Seven AARs and a picture, too: Director's Inkwell

Europa Universalis 3

Ha! Loved it! As already noted, you could splice this right into actual Byzantine history and no one would know the difference. It fits perfectly. Now if Demetrios weren't as dumb as a box of rocks, he in turn would murder his wife and son and become emperor himself. But I suspect a more likely RP would be Eudokia murdering her no longer needed dumb, ugly, old husband and finding herself a more suitable consort.

I had a somewhat similar in-family murder in my game just last night. My Count had two sons close in age. Once they got married, the older one had a son and the younger one had a daughter. Wife of Son #1 then murdered Son #2. As it happens, Son #1 is reasonably competent but badly disfigured (harelip). So one might suppose his beautiful wife found him physically distasteful and made arrangements with Son #2 but then got rid of him once he was no longer needed.

But I'm not playing the Byzantines so it doesn't count.

Kudos for a great mini AAR -- and I think I'll check the locks on my bedroom door tonight!

Director, jwolf, great to hear from you two. Getting comments from fellow oldtimers like you is making me feel all nostalgic, warm and fuzzy inside (oh, and old, too ).

Thanks for stopping by, hope to see you around.

Wow, could this be CK's Bronzemurder?

I hadn't heard of it before, but a quick Google search rectified that. An entertaining read, for sure. Thanks!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the new comments! I didn't expect this to resurface.
    They're random? That is too bad. Still, it made for a great narrative. I'll chalk it up to the "Enough monkeys to write Shakespeare" approach.
    I'm fairly certain it's not entirely random (eg. the event has a bunch of MTTH modifiers, including traits, having famiy n the line of succession, etc)
    "Man is free; but his freedom does not look like the glorious liberty of the Enlightenment; it is no longer the gift of God. Once again, man stands alone in the universe, responsible for his condition, likely to remain in a lowly state, but free to reach above the stars.."
    -Jean-Paul Sartré

That would be even better. Regardless, from a narrative point of view, it all fit together beautifully.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome Gold
    Semper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Just read it and it was bloody awesome!

Good that I yesterday decided to install CK again after a year's absence as this made me desperately want to play it again .
    "Cum boni nihil faciunt homines, malum praevalet"

"A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it." -

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf the Grey

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Awesome little story, it's so nice when CK actually provides you with logical consequences for your dubious choices :P
    The Russia Megacampaign - See my other work at my Inkwell

A YeAAR's Education - Rurikovich in Crusader Kings 1066-1393

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultMagickaMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Clearly Stuyvesant got a copy of Crusader Kings that is infected with CK2 for added awesomeness Amazing sequence of events there, it's almost difficult to believe it was truly random.
    List of My AARs:
    Gesta Capetingorum - Updated upon the twelfth day of September, the year of our Lord and Savior 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Auray View Post
    Just read it and it was bloody awesome!

Good that I yesterday decided to install CK again after a year's absence as this made me desperately want to play it again .
    Thanks! The nice thing about CK is that amazing stuff can happen at any time - it might be after a three-day epic, or it could be after five minutes of play. It's my favorite pick-up-and-play game of the Paradox titles.

Quote Originally Posted by RGB View Post
    Awesome little story, it's so nice when CK actually provides you with logical consequences for your dubious choices :P
    That is an eloquent way of putting it. And thanks for reminding me of the fact that I made some pretty dubious decisions - all in the name of the greater good, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej I View Post
    Clearly Stuyvesant got a copy of Crusader Kings that is infected with CK2 for added awesomeness Amazing sequence of events there, it's almost difficult to believe it was truly random.
    Ah, I wish... (I did just pre-order CK2 yesterday). Regardless of whether it was randomness or not, it was the coolest thing I personally ever saw in CK in the six years I've had the game (wait, it's been six years already? I feel old...).

Topaz-Fisted Demi-God Moderator Mr. Capiatlist's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries
    Bot banned, thread re-opened.
    -Mr. Capiatlist (Ink well):

When I speak in Rose, I do so as a Moderator. :: Forum Rules | AARland Rules 1 | Rules 2 | Interactivity Rules
    (Never quote or otherwise publicly respond to my rose text. If you have a problem: PM me.)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2