• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do you have press gangs? I see your ships are almost double your forcelimits

No; I'd intended to take it a long time ago but kind of forgot :eek: I've never really cared much about forcelimits for navies anyway.

OOh, the frontier is goin' to the Danube!

It'll probably take two wars, but that's certainly the intention :)

reading that from the perspective of the council, it would be hard to avoid the conclusion that Francis II has gone bonkers - first the world disappears for 15 years and then the plan for what could be a long drawn out war with Austria - but then Austria is your only large rival on your borders

Seeing things like 108% inflation is why I turn inflation off on my games. The player always has good finances and will want to minimize minting to increase research, but the AI likes to destroy their economies with their insane inflation.

reading that from the perspective of the council, it would be hard to avoid the conclusion that Francis II has gone bonkers - first the world disappears for 15 years and then the plan for what could be a long drawn out war with Austria - but then Austria is your only large rival on your borders

You may be right on that; I've always wanted an Emperor I could fairly call insane, but I haven't had the opportunity. Francis II won't be that guy; maybe later on?

I have no illusions that war with Austria will be quick or pleasant. However, with the right planning and help from my vassals/allies, it should be doable.

Seeing things like 108% inflation is why I turn inflation off on my games. The player always has good finances and will want to minimize minting to increase research, but the AI likes to destroy their economies with their insane inflation.

I'd heard of players doing that; never considered it for my own games, but it might be a useful rule to follow in the future.

I'm curious, how is your army maintenance is only 27.7 despite the 200 units? In my experience it should be a lot higher!

Looking forward to the Austrian war! The mountainous border is always a pain to slog through. I'd suggest a two phase war against Austria: First make them release a bunch of nations to the East to weaken them, then start gobbling them up!

I'm curious, how is your army maintenance is only 27.7 despite the 200 units? In my experience it should be a lot higher!

Looking forward to the Austrian war! The mountainous border is always a pain to slog through. I'd suggest a two phase war against Austria: First make them release a bunch of nations to the East to weaken them, then start gobbling them up!

It may because I'm so infantry heavy; infantry have less maintenance costs than cavalry or artillery. I think (but I can't prove it) that when they monkeyed with naval maintenance they did it with land maintenance too.

That's good advice for Austria; I don't know if I'll do it exactly that way, but I like the idea.

Just catched up with reading. I must say, this is one of the best AAR's i have ever read. Really engrossing story, and nice gameplay.
Keep on going :D

Thanks for the kind words, and welcome to the Forums!

Soon the Novum Romanum Imperium will control all of the Mediteranean. It is indeed time to take the war to Europe. All will fold for Rome's rule!
This AAR never stops to inspire me with scenario's for a game!

I love your combined arms approach. The Thunderbolt legions can hold the Austrians in place and destroy them in a set pace battle and the Celerius legions can pursue and destroy them after they have been beaten.

Soon the Novum Romanum Imperium will control all of the Mediteranean. It is indeed time to take the war to Europe. All will fold for Rome's rule!
This AAR never stops to inspire me with scenario's for a game!

I agree 100%. Glad to see this AAR has kept you so entertained!

I love your combined arms approach. The Thunderbolt legions can hold the Austrians in place and destroy them in a set pace battle and the Celerius legions can pursue and destroy them after they have been beaten.

That's the idea; not sure how it will work in practice, though.

Time to bring in a General as capable as Scipio Africanus or Hannibal Barca. Austria's gonna be a piece of work, bro

Time to bring in a General as capable as Scipio Africanus or Hannibal Barca. Austria's gonna be a piece of work, bro

I won't say you're wrong.

Here is how I envision the next few updates going (once I get some time to play):
1) Preparations and planning update
2) War update (may take several updates, who knows?)
3) Peace update

This is the first really major war I've had in a long time, so forgive me if I draw it too long :) About 99% of wars, I know I'm going to win before I click the mouse, but depending on who jumps into this war, this could be a real fight. I'm still confident I'll win, but I'm going to play it cautious.

Why exactly Hannibal? AFAIK he hated everything that had to do with rome.

I'm not saying specifically Hannibal Barca. What I'm trying to say is someone as capable as him. Hopefully Avindian will get someone who can utterly destroy the Austrians as well has Hannibal did to Rome

Why exactly Hannibal? AFAIK he hated everything that had to do with rome.

I'm not saying specifically Hannibal Barca. What I'm trying to say is someone as capable as him. Hopefully Avindian will get someone who can utterly destroy the Austrians as well has Hannibal did to Rome

I can only agree with you; I too would like to see a general as good as Hannibal's reputation. (Not going to get into it here, but there are some historians who believe his military skill was as much the Romans trying to make him look good, and thus make their own conquest even more impressive.)

Don't worry, BearJuice, I knew what you meant.

oh. I've made a complete fool out of myself, haven't I? :eek:o
either way, you mean something like a 6/6/6 general?

oh. I've made a complete fool out of myself, haven't I? :eek:o
either way, you mean something like a 6/6/6 general?

Man, a 6/6/6 general makes me salivate. That would be awesome.

Man, a 6/6/6 general makes me salivate. That would be awesome.

My thoughts exactly. Just bring up your Army Tradition to around 80%, and then sit back and watch one appear from the farms of Southern Napoli or the mountains of Anatolia. Austria should be shaking in their little space boots by then