• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Castillian Asia looks so stupid on the map without having the Holy Land. Someone stated a while back that Iraq was part of the Roman Empire for two years. I can confirm that. They also held Armenia for the same amount of time. However, both were given up by Emperor Hadrian on Trajan's death on the grounds that they would be impossible to defend. Also, do I get the feeling that Austria is about to lose a lot of land in Northern Italy, if not much more then that.

Last edited:
I actually really liked that update, for all its irregularity :D

I agree - just get rid of the limit, it doesn't make sense anyway.

For a moment I was like: Since when did early 17th century Europe have telephones. A fun trip to the future lol!

The empire is turning more absolute with the years passing on, but it's still an Empire. Sounds better.
I would say, get rid of the limit.

Nice colour change as well!

Limits are lame, so getting rid of it wouldn't bother me one bit.

The limit shall die, then. It seemed the simplest solution to me.

I see that you borrowed the Byzantine's colour. Looks good. :)
Well absolute monarchy does have some better bonuses, such as more magistrates, but you are recreating the Roman "Empire", so it wouldn't feel right to change it. You should just remove the limit if possible. I suppose you could just give more bonuses to empires to make them more equivalent to absolute monarchies if you are editing the policy restrictions anyway.

You've got a fair point -- the discipline bonus did look awfully tasty -- but for the most part, I prefer not giving myself unfair advantages. After all, I AM on very easy :D

Wow that was interesting. Also, I like the new color. Are you going to make the color for the Roman Empire, when you form it, red? I also vote for removing the limit.

If I do eventually form the Roman Empire, I probably would switch to red. Maybe British red or Timurid red, unless there's a better fit.

New colour, new discoveries in the future...everyone speaking Latin:rofl:
nice to see you got your problems worked out so the Empire can continue its
rise to greatness

Thanks! Rise it shall!

Great AAR, subscribed!:D

Thanks for the kind words, and glad to have you aboard!

Castillian Asia looks so stupid on the map without having the Holy Land. Someone stated a while back that Iraq was part of the Roman Empire for two years. I can confirm that. They also held Armenia for the same amount of time. However, both were given up by Emperor Hadrian on Trajan's death on the grounds that they would be impossible to defend. Also, do I get the feeling that Austria is about to lose a lot of land in Northern Italy, if not much more then that.

I agree; if I've got time or the inclination, I might do a little border cleanup there, then release a vassal. Austria is safe until Imperialism kicks in (apart from my cores), but after that....

I actually really liked that update, for all its irregularity :D

I agree - just get rid of the limit, it doesn't make sense anyway.

I really like this story. Great job so far! :)

Thanks for the kind words, both of you!

So, it's decided. I'll remove the Centralization limit and probably play some more tonight or tomorrow (woo hoo for Labor Day!)

I could use some advice, though, on slider moves. Five of them are maxed (Centralization, Innovative, Aristocracy, Quality, and Mercantilism). One is as far as I'm going to push it (Free Subjects; I won't remove the limit on that). That leaves two which are more or less in the middle -- Land/Naval and Offensive/Defensive. Virtually everybody goes max land (that I know of), so I'm thinking about that. I've never really messed with Offensive/Defensive, though. As a matter of habit, I push it one to the defensive, because I keep forgetting you don't get free forts any more. :mad:

What do you guys think? I may be in a position where I won't be able to move any sliders before the end of the game -- isn't that a kick in the pants?

I think the best option is doing some modifications to the localization file...maybe a decision that upgrades the absolute monarchy to another absolute monarchy, but ruled by a Emperor.

like, you create a new government (Absolute_Monarchy_Empire), it's the same as the regular absolute monarchy, but in the localization files you can change the title of the ruler, so that he will be called Emperor instead of King, that kind of thing.

I think the best option is doing some modifications to the localization file...maybe a decision that upgrades the absolute monarchy to another absolute monarchy, but ruled by a Emperor.

like, you create a new government (Absolute_Monarchy_Empire), it's the same as the regular absolute monarchy, but in the localization files you can change the title of the ruler, so that he will be called Emperor instead of King, that kind of thing.

Or you could simply change absolute monarchy to have it's ruler titled Emperor

I just went ahead and removed the limit to centralization; it seemed a lot simpler. I've already got the Imperialism CB; we decided that earlier. I'll take your suggestions under advisement, but it's unlikely I'll do anything like that soon.

Just so people don't think this is dead, I just haven't had time to play in the last few days. I'll try to have something up this weekend. In the meantime, as a reminder, I asked for some feedback on slider moves, esp. land/naval and offensive/defensive. Let me know what you think!

I don't know how other people play, but I usually leave the offensive/defensive slider for last. It's definitely more beneficial to go towards land before messing with that slider.

Im really bad with sliders lol. I usually forget to move them anyway. I dont really get their benefits anyway.
Im looking forward to the next update!

I don't know how other people play, but I usually leave the offensive/defensive slider for last. It's definitely more beneficial to go towards land before messing with that slider.

Fair enough.

Im really bad with sliders lol. I usually forget to move them anyway. I dont really get their benefits anyway.
Im looking forward to the next update!

It takes practice and a clear idea of what you want; avoid changing governments, since it adds to the amount of time between changes!

Depends on what you want..
If you're not going overseas (ie America) then Land may be important to battle the Gauls and Iberians.

I don't intend on going overseas in a big way; Morocco has some colonies there, and I hope I don't have to invade them but I might have to.

I don't intend on going overseas in a big way; Morocco has some colonies there, and I hope I don't have to invade them but I might have to.
Well, you could just surround Morocco's African capital in one war, then take it in another one later, you wont necessarily have to take their colonies to attain all the lands you want/need, though the Caribbean colonies are always very lucrative, and not entirely indefensible if you keep a small (25-50 ship) fleet to guard it, if any one of those remain open that is.

Well, you could just surround Morocco's African capital in one war, then take it in another one later, you wont necessarily have to take their colonies to attain all the lands you want/need, though the Caribbean colonies are always very lucrative, and not entirely indefensible if you keep a small (25-50 ship) fleet to guard it, if any one of those remain open that is.

It turns out you were right; Morocco ended up not being a problem :)

So I need some help here. I'm at 1651, and I'll probably update tomorrow, but the Imperialism CB isn't working for some reason. Here's the code I'm using:

Code:
# Napoleonic era imperialism
cb_imperial = {
mutual = yes

badboy_factor = 0.5
prestige_factor = 1
peace_cost_factor = 0.75

prerequisites = {
OR = {
government = revolutionary_empire
government = revolutionary_republic
government = enlightened_despotism
government = republican_dictatorship
government = absolute_monarchy
government = imperial_government
}
}

allowed_provinces = {
always = yes
}

po_annex = yes
po_demand_provinces = yes

country_desc = ALL_COUNTRIES
prov_desc = ALL_PROVS
war_name = IMPERIAL_WAR_NAME
}
}

Does anybody see anything wrong with this? I have to say, without Imperialism, I'm probably not going to finish the Roman Empire without serious BB wars, so I'd probably end up going Absolute Monarchy, as some of you suggested. I do prefer "Empire" for the feel of it, though :)

Waitwaitwait.

Empires can't use Imperialism? What? ...

I pmed him code that would allow them to get it. However, I do not now why it is not working. I pretty much copy pasted it from my computer and pmed it. I know it worked on my computer because about a month after I loaded up post 1650, I got a message saying that I now had the imperialism cb.

I count nine braces, you should always have an even amount I believe, so one of those ones at the end shouldn't be there? That's the only thing I can see honestly.

I agree with this. There should be an even number. I think that removing the last one should fix it if the brackets are the problem.

Waitwaitwait.

Empires can't use Imperialism? What? ...

I pmed him code that would allow them to get it. However, I do not now why it is not working. I pretty much copy pasted it from my computer and pmed it. I know it worked on my computer because about a month after I loaded up post 1650, I got a message saying that I now had the imperialism cb.

I count nine braces, you should always have an even amount I believe, so one of those ones at the end shouldn't be there? That's the only thing I can see honestly.

I agree with this. There should be an even number. I think that removing the last one should fix it if the brackets are the problem.

I will get rid of the last brace and we'll see if it works... be right back!

EDIT: Success! Thanks for the help guys! I'm working on the update as we speak.