• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
just caught up! fantastic AAR. I expect a full on assault on Hispania followed by Gaul, Brittania, and Germania!

Wow, so many subjugate missions!

I've never had that many good missions in a row; I'm pretty sure they're done (maybe one more?)

strange, Pietro never really struck me as a religious character. i guess all the monks at his monastery are going to inconspicuously take an oath of silence :p it is a little sad that Pietro will never been seen again, unless under extraneous circumstances, but i suppose its for the best. now lets just hope Leo will survive for another 16 years!

Indeed :D

Wow, lots of vassals! Good updates.

So... Many... Vassals.... Q _ Q

Yep!

just caught up! fantastic AAR. I expect a full on assault on Hispania followed by Gaul, Brittania, and Germania!

Once the infamy runs down!

are you intending on invading the German lands? i thought it was just the historic territories :p

strange, Pietro never really struck me as a religious character. i guess all the monks at his monastery are going to inconspicuously take an oath of silence :p it is a little sad that Pietro will never been seen again, unless under extraneous circumstances, but i suppose its for the best. now lets just hope Leo will survive for another 16 years!

well pre the Counter Reformation, a lot of people entered Nunnerys and Monasterys as a form of retirement rather than out of zeal. The former in particular was an attractive option for a rich widow who had no desire to be forced into remarriage.

interesting developments in the structure of the empire and you are doing well with the subjugation CBs

Yes, excellent...Too bad about Pietro, we'll see how daddy feels about try number two. Oh well if that doesn't work out adoption could be tried...again

You're quite right; I was actually pretty miffed when Pietro died. It's all about retconning, as the comic book nerds say :)

are you intending on invading the German lands? i thought it was just the historic territories :p

I do intend to reclaim my cores, obviously, and the Dalmatian coast, but I only intend to invade German lands proper to bring down the HRE.

well pre the Counter Reformation, a lot of people entered Nunnerys and Monasterys as a form of retirement rather than out of zeal. The former in particular was an attractive option for a rich widow who had no desire to be forced into remarriage.

interesting developments in the structure of the empire and you are doing well with the subjugation CBs

loki's got the right of it, and that's exactly how I intended it. I'm used to getting dozens of "Build Manufactory" missions; useful ones are nice change. Perhaps the MTTH was changed in 5.1 official?

At the rate you are getting those subjugation missions, half of Europe will be your vassal. :p The only thing that could make this better would be the inheritance of Milan.

At the rate you are getting those subjugation missions, half of Europe will be your vassal. :p The only thing that could make this better would be the inheritance of Milan.

You're exactly right.

Chapter 29: The dawning of a new Empire

2 December 1605, the office of the Chancellor, Rome

Drusus Germanicus, the Chancellor of the Empire of Tuscany, clutched the decree, ink barely dry, as tightly as he could. Once Emperor Leo III explained his plan for the Empire, not only did Germanicus agree to sell his land, he did so with a certain amount of pride and dignity. He'd heard that Cornelius Porcius Cato had also gotten a very good deal; although Cornelius wasn't as patriotic as some of his ancestors, he did understand a good thing when he saw one.

The only condition he didn't like was the fact he couldn't reveal what had happened unless the Emperor passed on; Leo III seemed vigorous, even uncommonly so, and so Drusus was bothered that he might well outlive his Chancellor. It was no significant burden, but it did make him a little uneasy. As was his usual style, Leo III intended to draft the decrees making his new policies official and place them in an envelope, to be unsealed only in the event of the Emperor's death. Part of their agreement was that Drusus alone would know the contents, and the he alone would guard them. This too played on the Archduke's pride.

As he preened quietly, he heard a knock on the door. In stepped the Foreign Minister, Ippolito Tonelli. The Chancellor nodded to Ippolito, who handed him a document.

"Chancellor, I am informing you that we are now in a state of war."

"We are?! With whom?"

chapter29december1605.jpg

After he had a chance to read it, he burst out laughing. "You're worried about Crete, Ippolito? Would you have us decline the proposal and risk losing our friendship with the Holy Roman Emperor?"

"But we will look bad in the international community, will we not?"

Drusus finally caught his breath. "Ah, I see your point. If you read carefully, you may notice that Crete declared war on Savoy."

Startled, Ippolito reexamined the paper, and then it was his turn to laugh. "You are right, Drusus. Please forgive my ignorance."

Drusus clapped the Foreign Minister on the back, who was still chuckling. Nothing to get worried about at all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 April 1606, the Marshal's office

Karel van Dijk hated paperwork, but it seemed to be the only real function of a Marshal in time of peace. Without a single drop of blood shed, the Cretans (he laughed quietly at the double entendre) begged for peace.

chapter29april1606.jpg

What was worse was preparing the documents for the expansion of the military. A new fleet had been added, comprised primarily of the new Galleons and some transport ships, 34 ships in all. It was dubbed Classis III 'Neptune.' Two new legions had also been formed; the Legio XIV 'Aegyptus' and XV 'Africanus'. He wondered where these names came from; neither legions would be stationed in either area. Still, he had to appreciate the history of it, he supposed.

He paused for reflection. 150,000 men. No other army in the world could boast that many soldiers. He'd come a long way from his humble beginnings in Holland. Even his brother was doing well; Jan took the money he'd earned in the war with Transylvania and retired somewhere nice in Southern France. At times, Karel envied his brother, but didn't for one moment regret his decision.

How much higher could he rise? The Marshal thought for a moment. He would never become an Emperor, and the truth was, he had no intentions of doing so. He had little to look forward to back at home. He could aspire to nobility; he doubted he'd ever get it, but if anybody had ever deserved a promotion, he thought it was he.

He put such musings aside for now, and continued writing out the officer list for the new legions. The Emperor made it very plain that only the most loyal and skilled officers could lead. For the Marshal, that kind of went without saying -- who would make a dunce a General? -- but the extra emphasis made him curious. Why would exceptionally loyal soldiers be needed? Did the Emperor fear a coup?

He shrugged. Such thoughts did not belong to a soldier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14 May 1606, the Imperial audience hall, Rome

Leo III looked at his counterpart across the table. Carlo III of Savoy seemed to have aged almost overnight; being Holy Roman Emperor was a very strenuous position, no doubt. Marshal van Dijk and Foreign Minister Tonelli were also present; the Marshal was carefully studying a map while the Foreign Minister carefully studied the wall.

"Another call to arms, Carlo?"

chapter29may1606.jpg

The Holy Roman Emperor bristled slightly at the Emperor of Tuscany using his Christian name. Little could be done about it, and the truth was that he badly needed Tuscan assistance. At least he could be as discourteous.

"Yes, Leo. You have been one of our closest friends, and I think we have done the same for you. I did not choose to be elected Emperor, but I have been, and so I lead. The Poles and Ukrainians have been warmongering, and I need your assistance."

"What exactly do you request? Gold, troops, ships?"

Carlo shook his head. "No commitment for now. Your good offices to negotiate a measured peace are all I ask for; I think your entrance into the wars will prove enough to force them to reconsider their unwarranted aggression."

Leo III turned to the Marshal. "If we were called upon to assist, Marshal, could we?"

"Emperors, we would need access, either through Transylvania or Austria. Theoretically, we could sail around the continent and land in the Baltic Sea; I think Muscovy would grant us passage. It would be challenging, but very possible, I think."

The Foreign Minister, unbidden, nodded his head vigorously, indicating he would easily be able to get any such agreement.

"There you have it, Carlo. I am also happy to give you some gold, if that would help."

"Perhaps another time, Leo. Thank you, as always, for your brotherhood and friendship."

"Of course. Go with God."
9 October 1607, the Imperial audience chamber, Rome

The war had gone on a surprisingly long time. Longer than Carlo III, in fact, as his son, Emanuele I became King of Savoy and Holy Roman Emperor. Still, he honored his father's agreements, and in quick succession, both Ukraine and Poland sued for peace without a single Tuscan soldier being committed. They accepted status quo ante bellum, whereas before they wanted territorial concessions, so on the whole Leo III was pleased.

He was growing less pleased with Foreign Minister Tonelli. Tonelli excitedly reported he had manufactured a casus belli against Castille.

chapter29january1607.jpg

The Emperor laughed in his face. Why would he want worthless desert, which by the way, had never belonged to the Roman Empire? To say nothing of the international consequences, mild as they might be with a casus belli. His one good move was getting 85 ducats out of Wurtemburg for peace. Leo III feared Tonelli was becoming little more than a sycophant. He always told the Emperor what he wanted to hear.

When rebels began plotting in Constantine, the Foreign Minister, who had been in the city the day before, had absolutely no knowledge of what was happening, or so he claimed. Leo III wanted to sack him on the spot, but had no real replacement as a Foreign Minister. He briefly fantasized about hiring the perfect candidate, but his son was no longer with the Empire, and would likely never return. Gian Carlo Buti was too engrossed in traveling the world, and to be honest, that was where he needed the diplomat. He'd discretely inquire as to the qualifications of some noble families, but he thought that for now, he'd better keep Tonelli.
21 February 1609, the Marshal's office, Rome

The Marshal was on the one hand, pleased with recent events. Seeing that the writing was on the wall, Ippolito Tonelli resigned from office shortly after he discovered a pile of applications on the Chancellor's desk by mistake; of course, the Foreign Minister didn't need to know that it was no mistake. Since Leo III was planning some new policies, he'd hired a statesman, the nephew of Acting Foreign Minister Gian Carlo Buti, Innocenzo Buti to help draft them.

chapter29november1608.jpg

The two new policies -- the Dissolution Act, which granted more freedom to his subjects, making the Empire look good and calming down some of the angrier peasants, and the Education Act, which devoted a portion of monthly tax income to better schools -- were both very popular.

chapter29november16082.jpg

A recent war between France and Morocco had ended with Morocco not surrendering any land; a serious concern for the Emperor and the Marshal. Both wanted to see Tuscany gain the lands of Morocco, not France. It was France now, however, that was the problem.

The Emperor had one final goal; he wanted to subjugate Achaea. That would bring all of Greece either directly or indirectly under the control of the Empire. The Marshal approved; Greece was the destiny of Tuscany. The home of Socrates, Pericles, Demosthenes, and Thucydides belonged to Rome. The Emperor issued a formal call to arms for this war, seeing that France had pledged herself defender of the Catholic faith.

chapter29february1609.jpg

France honored Achaea's call -- that came as no surprise. What did come as a surprise was Savoy's answering the call -- of Achaea, not her ally Tuscany.

chapter29february16092.jpg

That every other Tuscan ally answered eagerly was of small consequence. The resources of the Holy Roman Empire and France were pitted against Tuscany. He knew Savoy would soon call Switzerland; it was only a matter of time before other German states were also called.

The Marshal knew the biggest threat was France. Since Savoy was war leader, however, he wanted to take their lands as rapidly as possible. Savoy did not have the economy of Austria, and could not take advantage of the brimming manpower reserves of the Holy Roman Empire. His plan, therefore, was simple.

chapter29february16093.jpg

Leo III would take command of the Twelfth "Deus" Legion; two more legions would be ordered up, one directly into Savoyard lands and one to Florence, if needed for additional support. The Sixth Legion would march south and seize Achaea; the brilliant King of Morea, Theodoros IV had agreed to lead that column. He also sent word for General Orsini to sail as well; given the almost certitude of French invasions and the length of the sieges in Savoy, another commander could only help.

The Marshal picked up his plans and began writing orders. The first truly taxing war for Tuscany had begun.
1 May 1609, Mystras, Achaea

The Commander of the Legio VI 'Nike' was glad that the King of Morea had led the battle. Not because he was worried about the victory, which was completed with a single casualty.

chapter29february16094.jpg

The Commander's bigger concern was diplomacy. He didn't speak a word of Greek -- few officers did -- and his natural charisma didn't aid in negotiations. Theodoros IV, however, adequately presented Tuscan demands. Namely, the King of Achaea would swear fealty to Leo III in exchange for protection. He was also ordered to convert his people to Lutheranism. King Theodoros did a good job of presenting the benefits of vassalization, or seemed to, since the enemy King agreed.

chapter29may1609.jpg

The Commander shuddered for a moment. He wondered if his legion would be sent to Savoy. The word was the French were boiling and wanted blood; he wasn't quite sure, but then again, when did a Frenchman ever need a reason to get angry? He would go where he was ordered.

That didn't stop him from making a silent prayer, however.
2 September 1609, Cuneo, Savoy

Giovanni Orsini didn't expect to see combat when he was ordered to take command of the Legio II 'Sicilia'. He thought Leo III wanted that glory for himself. Still, nobody could predict what would happen in war, and the French had chosen to attack him instead of the Emperor, who was still sieging Piedmont.

Tuscany effortlessly defeated the French at sea, and imposed blockades on Normandy and Caux, as the Emperor commanded. He did this instead of starting another war against Moldavia, insisting that Moldavia was never part of the Roman Empire and that risking a war against Muscovy for one measly province just wasn't worth it.

chapter29may16092.jpg

He felt really badly for the sailors of the Classis II 'Datti'; they had to sail all the way around Africa to break a blockade by pirates in the Red Sea. He'd found that note attached to a map a Colonel provided for him.

chapter29august16092.jpg

He couldn't feel too badly for the sailors, however, since he'd been through one of the most bloody battles in recent memory.

chapter29june1609.jpg

The casualties had been nearly equal; the French cavalry were brilliant, as was their leader, none other than the King of France himself. Orsini had nothing but respect for his counterpart; he even considered writing a report that recommended an alliance with the French after this war was over.

For France, it was. Over a few glasses of wine, the King had agreed to a white peace. General Orsini was happy his orders did not command him to demand some sort of tribute; the French were worthy foes and deserved respect.

General Orsini had to turn his mind back to the business of sieging, but that was easy work compared to battle. It would almost be a vacation.
17 December 1609, Savoy

The question of what to do with Savoy was extremely controversial. France's exit from the war made victory a foregone conclusion. As Leo III discussed with Marshal van Dijk, the problem was what kind of victory to pursue.

On the one hand, Savoy was beaten badly. Some territory was certainly not out of the question. It would look bad in the international arena, true, but it was still something to consider.

On the other hand, if Savoy was too weak, they might lose the Imperial Election to Austria, and no citizen of Tuscany wanted another Damned German Empire.

The Marshal's solution was elegant. Free Switzerland; that would weaken Savoy, but not too much.

chapter29december1609.jpg

When Leo III proposed this to Emanuele I, the Holy Roman Emperor was delighted. Savoy would keep her dignity and respect and suffer only a slight loss in prestige. It could well have been worse; Savoy's colonies in the New World, for example, could have been seized. Grateful, Emanuele even asked about the possibility of a new alliance with Tuscany; not seriously, but as a measure of respect and curiosity. Leo III neither confirmed nor denied Emanuele's request, which was good enough for both parties.
19 September 1611, the Imperial Throne Room, Rome

The Emperor had slipped in and out of a kind delirium for the last two months. When he was lucid, he was as bright as ever, and had found a way to claim Bone, a province in Morocco, as a core of the Tuscan Empire.

chapter29august1611.jpg

Unfortunately for the Emperor, those lucid moments were less and less frequent. Mental diseases were the hardest to watch, though Chancellor Drusus Germanicus. Leo III, never a large man but always a strong one, now looked like a small child. He was literally wasting away, and for the most part, muttered incoherently. When Drusus asked him if he wanted a priest, Leo III shook his head and smiled. He whispered to his Chancellor, "The only priest I'd ever want is one I can never have." Drusus didn't understand the cryptic comment.

Earlier that morning, Drusus found himself fingering the packet of documents that the Emperor had problem. He had no idea why, but he brought them to the throne room that day. When the gaunt Emperor Leo III saw them, he smiled one final time, drew up his strength, and with a hint of his old self, said but three words.

"It is time."

With that, Emperor Leo III breathed his last. With tears in his eyes, Drusus finally opened the packet that the Emperor entrusted him with. Most of the Empire's nobles had stuck close to the capital by Drusus's request. Only his own son was notably absent.

Drusus approached the balcony with trepidation. First, he unsealed the will and testament of the Emperor and announced the most important news.

"Nobles of Tuscany, loyal citizens, the Emperor has died."

Even with plenty of warning, the announcement still sent a wave of grief over the crowd. Germanicus waited about five minutes, then continued.

"Before his death, the Emperor asked me to read these decrees one at a time. First, I have been named Regent of the Empire; this is not news to anybody, as he announced this some months ago."

Everybody nodded, a few still weeping openly.

"Second, as of this moment, the Empire of Tuscany is no more."

That got everybody's attention. Many were thunderstruck.

"With Alexander's inheritance of the Kingdom of Milan, we are now, forever and ever, the Empire of Italy!"

chapter29september1611.jpg

chapter29september16112.jpg

These remarks earned a small smattering of applause. Nothing impolite, for many were still in mourning. Drusus hated that he had to do this now, but it was Leo III's final wish, and he would never begrudge a man his dying wish.

"He has one final decree to make. Some of you may become angry, others explode with joy. I cannot say which, but I would beg you wait until I am done. I will carefully and diligently listen to any questions or concerns tomorrow.

"Some of you may remember that, many years ago, while our glorious Emperor was still Prince, his father, Francis I, commissioned a statue of Marcus Tullius Cicero, with the inscription, 'Sine servitium non est nobilitatis. Sine nobilitate, non imperium.' Without service, there is no nobility. Without the nobility, there is no Empire. Nobody took this closer to heart than he did.

"That is why, over the past few years, he has purchased, in the name of the Imperial family, every acre of land in our Empire. People of the Empire, we often forget that we are here to serve, not to be served. That is why, henceforth, no noble of the Empire shall ever receive land as a reward."

Even the most grief-stricken noble stopped at that. Some got a little angry. Drusus waved down their protests.

"I beg you, let me finish. I am now going to read the Decree entitled "the Service of the Nobility" in its entirety. It is not long, and I think it will answer many of your questions. Afterwards, you may go."

The Service of the Nobility

1. All nobles, through fair compensation of one form or another, have as of this moment no land to call their own.

2. All land currently belongs to the Empire of Italy and shall never pass from my family as long as the Empire lives. This is my solemn decree.

3. All those who currently live on the land are welcome to stay; I charge the regional Governors to find an equitable arrangement for any tenants on the land. Do not be greedy; it is not only against the law, it is un-Christian. You will gain rewards in other ways.

4. To the nobles: without you, I have no Empire. That is why I am guaranteeing an equivalent amount of your current incomes directly from the Imperial treasury. Everybody here will receive one additional year's income at the end of this year. Take it, and go with my blessing, if you feel you have been mistreated.

5. I offer an alternative to those who will stay. All nobles of the Empire of Italy must take a pledge to serve the Empire in some capacity until they are physically unable to do so. If you swear this oath, your current rank and status will be preserved. You will continue to enjoy all the benefits you currently do. All nobles who take this oath will continue to receive the same income they always have; the money will come not from your citizens but from the Imperial treasury. All tax collecting is henceforth under the control of the Imperial administration.

6. To replace the current system of Duchies and Archduchies, the Empire shall be reorganized into three provinciae headed by a Proconsul. These Provinces will be Egypt, including our recent conquests and all the land previously part of the Archduchy of Egypt; Anatolia, all the lands between Constantinople and Egypt with the exception of Judea; and North Africa, including all the lands west of Egypt and south of Italy. Announcement as to the identities of these individuals will come at a later date.

7. Italy and Constantinople shall remain the direct provisions of the Imperial family. Constantinople includes all lands west of the city. Italy includes all islands and the region of Istria.

8. The former provincial governors shall be termed regional governors. There is no difference in their duties apart from title.

9. Jerusalem and the city of Judea, in keeping with her status as a Holy City, will be ruled separately by the Mayor of Jerusalem.

10. All other bureaucratic offices will become part of the Council of Ministers, headed by the Chancellor. There must always be a Chancellor, a Foreign Minister, and a Marshal of the Empire; all other positions may be added or subtracted as the Emperor sees fit.

11. There shall be a cursus honorum, which will determine one's status as a hereditary or non-hereditary noble. Only nobles may serve as officers or civil servants over a certain rank; if such a promotion is earned through meritorious service, a patent of nobility will be conferred upon the individual.

12. Once granted hereditary nobility, the patent may never be stripped unless there is dereliction of duty, refusal to serve, treason, or any other capital crime. The Emperor alone makes the determination.

Most of the nobles, listening intently, approved of the decree. Drusus was privately grateful; granted, there was little they could do about it, but a riot would have been most unseemly. A few were already looking for an official so they could collect their money and leave. A sizable portion of the treasury had been set aside for this purpose.

Drusus thought the Emperor's decree was brilliant. He was proud to have issued it. It was now a true Empire, administered by the Emperor and by nobles who would serve the Empire, not be served by it.

Almost as an afterthought, he nailed the cursus honorum to a nearby tree. Copies of it and the decree would be reproduced in great numbers, but for now there was just the one.

Cursus honorem

1. Consul (or Marshal of the Empire) -- highest hereditary office; the only civilian with this title is the Chancellor

2. Proconsul (or General) -- the administrators of all the Provinces, as well as the Chief Magistrates of Italy and Constantinople,

3. Count (or Colonel) -- the Mayor of Jerusalem, any member of the Council of Ministers other than the Chancellor

4. Commander -- no civilian equivalent

5. Praetor (or Lieutenant Commander) -- Chief judge of each Province; lowest hereditary rank

6. Aedile (or Captain) -- Deputies for each Proconsul, specializing in a specific area; no more than ten are allowed per Province

7. Quaestor (or Centurion) -- Officially licensed merchants that serve in Centers of Trade; can serve in other capacities, depending on the wishes of a Proconsul

8. Governor (or Lieutenant) -- Chief administrator of a region (formerly province); lowest noble rank in the military

9. Deputy Governor -- Second-in-command for any region

10. Mayor -- Chief administrator of any city (excluding Rome, Constantinople, all Provincial capitals, and Jerusalem), as defined by Imperial census

A special bonus map! The cores I earned and have yet to get as a result of forming Italy!

chapter29october1611.jpg

Since I'm in for a fairly long regency, I'll be most focused on integrating my vassals on which I have cores. I'm not sure who to go after after that; Morocco is an inviting target, as is Austria and Savoy. I want to get as much of Morocco as I can before 1650; even if Imperialism kicks in, I don't think it's 1 BB a province, but 2 (I could be wrong).

I've done my best to make the cursus honorum or course of office work for modern times. I'm not sure how well I succeeded, but I tried to match at least the spirit of the ancient Roman office. As for why I bothered with all of this, I needed a way to justify the increase of Centralization that forming Italy brought without changing government.

That being said, the real inspiration for my 17th century cursus honorum has nothing to do with ancient Rome. I had another European country and specific ruler in mind.

Sounds like a contest, eh? It is! If you get either one, you can create a character; if you get both, you get a character and a Legion or Classis. It'll be a few days before I play for another update, so there should be plenty of time!

Enjoy!

those Italian cores seem odd. should you have Wallis and Trent as cores? i dont have Divine Wind so im a little confused about the Italian cores... also how old is Alexander? hopefully youll have burned most of your infamy by the time he ascends to the throne :)

Finally, Milan has been inherited! Now if only you could mod the TAG to make it the Roman Empire instead of the Italian Empire. :D
As for the imperialism CB, it costs 2BB per province. The holy war one only costs 1BB, so you will definitely want to go after Morocco first then.

Glory to the Italian Empire! He didn't confiscate land from the nobles but the Cursus Honorum and the requirement for the nobles to serve the state reminds me of Russia and Peter the Great.

No idea for the quiz, but I had a comment about what you said earlier in your post that "[it is] worthless desert, which by the way, had never belonged to the Roman Empire" that's not true, Iraq was conquered by Trajan for two years, two whole years! That's enough time for it to be laid claim to for any worthy Roman successor state.

damnit, you said you wouldn't form Italy :mad:
great update though.

those Italian cores seem odd. should you have Wallis and Trent as cores? i dont have Divine Wind so im a little confused about the Italian cores... also how old is Alexander? hopefully youll have burned most of your infamy by the time he ascends to the throne :)

The cores are always the same; not sure historically if Trent and/or Wallis belonged to Italy, but rest assured, I will have them as cores one way or the other! Alex is 4, I think.

well that was successful - whack France about, win a war with the HRE, grab Milan by diplomacy ... not a bad moment for Leo to go and die

Decent of him, wasn't it?

Finally, Milan has been inherited! Now if only you could mod the TAG to make it the Roman Empire instead of the Italian Empire. :D
As for the imperialism CB, it costs 2BB per province. The holy war one only costs 1BB, so you will definitely want to go after Morocco first then.

Thanks for the clarification, that's what I suspected. I don't have the mod skills to change the TAG, or I'd consider it. I think I wouldn't do it until later on, anyway.

Glory to the Italian Empire! He didn't confiscate land from the nobles but the Cursus Honorum and the requirement for the nobles to serve the state reminds me of Russia and Peter the Great.

History_Buff's got it, as usual! You know the drill by now :D

Milan inherited and Italy formed...plus a meh war with the French.
As for the quiz...I have no idea

I wanted, desperately, to do more. But it wasn't in the cards because of my infamy.

No idea for the quiz, but I had a comment about what you said earlier in your post that "[it is] worthless desert, which by the way, had never belonged to the Roman Empire" that's not true, Iraq was conquered by Trajan for two years, two whole years! That's enough time for it to be laid claim to for any worthy Roman successor state.

I didn't know that; I may have to rethink things, but it's not a priority at the moment.

damnit, you said you wouldn't form Italy :mad:
great update though.

I don't remember saying I wouldn't form Italy -- in fact, it's one of the goals on the very first page of the AAR!

I'm going to guess it is based in Louis XIV and French absolutism? ("I am the state" :p)

The inheritance of Milan was a awesome one, bad thing the colour has nothing to do with Rome...Byz purple or some red would look much better :)