• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feedback

Wow! Glad to see all the feedback :D

mayorqw -- I may give that some thought, would add a little more flavor to the AAR, that's for sure.

BootOnFace -- It still pales in comparison to Rensslaer, who is doing four at once :eek:

Tallfellow -- Glad to have you aboard! I've tried Sicily (pre-HttT) and found it an interesting challenge -- this one seems to be even more so!

Boris -- Not sure where you're seeing a bonus to forcelimits -- that's what I start with.

blsteen -- One for now -- but many more soon, I hope :D

Morrell8 -- In time, perhaps.

CivandEUIII -- From an RP perspective, I probably won't rename Tuscany, since the masses don't know Latin yet. However, that could be an interesting decision... I will slightly mod the "Form Italy" decision to call it "Italia", if that helps, and I could theoretically rename the entire peninsula after its Latin names.

Ivir Baggins -- the Elder. It's just a name, though, so don't read too much into it :)

Well, I got distracted by HOI 3 last night, since I recently picked up Semper Fi ($5.99 on Impulse) and wanted to try it out, so I've gotten no gameplay done for this yet! (Shame on me, I know, but I've been reading a lot of great HOI AARs and wanted to finally give this game another go.) I'll update my other active AAR later today and will, if all goes well, start the gameplay for this AAR, with an update projected early next week.

I know, I have the HOI3 demo and it's awesome-ish. I understand your problem.
And next week starts tomorrow, so is it tomorrow?

I know, I have the HOI3 demo and it's awesome-ish. I understand your problem.
And next week starts tomorrow, so is it tomorrow?

Probably not -- I'm about to fire up EU III now, and if I get far enough, I will update tomorrow, but I'm not sure what'll happen (obviously) :D

An interesting start, using the Roman names too.

Interested to see where this goes. Hopefully not a crushing defeat!

Feedback

cosmeIII -- You will, if everything breaks right :)

Ashantai -- Glad to have you aboard! As to the crushing defeat... well, more on that in a bit.

Aliasing -- As do we all!

Well, I have good news and bad news. Bad news first: Tuscany actually got annexed. I decided to DOW the Papal States after they DOWed Urbino, hoping I'd take Romagna before they took Urbino -- well, I didn't. Despite even odds and superior defensive position, and inflicting more casualties, the Pope's army overran me, mostly because the Pope had 3 fire -- people that say fire is useless in the early game are sadly mistaken, since they were able to inflict casualties and morale loss in greater numbers before my 3 shock leader could return the favor.

We have two options at this point. 1) I end the AAR, chalk it up to bad luck, and move on to something else or 2) I pretend it didn't happen, reload from the save right before I DOW, and continue on.

Here's the good news -- I've got enough material for an update, should you choose option 2, and I could have it done later tonight/early tomorrow!

I will leave this up to you, my readers. Do we call it a day, admit defeat at the hands of the Papal States, and possibly start a new AAR? [No promises on the last part.] Or, do we continue on as if nothing happened, and as a bribe, get an update later this evening?

If the response is overwhelming one way or the other, I'll immediately take the appropriate actions. Otherwise, I will wait until midnight tonight (CST time, or GMT -6) and decide then. I will honor your wishes either way.

That's no option! Number two, of course. Can't let such a promising AAR end after one update. :D

Feedback

6 votes for Option 2, none for Option 1 -- that's overwhelming in my book! If I have time before dinner, I'll post the next update; if not, later on down the road. The save will be restarted before declaring war on the Papal States; it would seem that the Pope is a mite too tough at this point. Don't worry, though -- he will be punished!

Great start! Do not surrender! Reload for gods sake! :D
and i think that if Romans would rule north africa they would assume whole sahara (not that they would collonise it, but encircle it with latin farm-border settlements in the grass savannah areas http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Vegetation_Africa.png with exception of corridor around nile to it's origin, and eritrean coast.

Chapter 1: An exercise in patience

15 October, 1399, the Imperial Palace at Florentia

The Emperor had just finished a new proclamation when the Diplomatic Chancellor entered the Throne Room, armed with a bundle of dispatches. Before acknowledging the Chancellor, the Emperor handed the proclamation to a scribe and ordered copies to be made and distributed throughout the land. The Emperor then turned, nodded to the Chancellor, and awaited the day's news.

"Emperor, I have the replies from your Royal Marriage proposals. Naples and Milan were honored to receive them and gladly accept. Urbino and Ferrara were not as willing and declined. How would you like to proceed?"

The Emperor stroked his beard and said nothing. He had hoped that Ferrara would agree; they had no rightful heir, and it was surely better to add territory through diplomacy than war, particularly when Tuscany's army was weaker than all of her neighbors. He then replied to the Chancellor, "For now, that will be all. I need to consider this situation more before we act. Let me know when our ambassadors return; I think I will take a few days to survey our country and see how our people fare. They shall know the name of Emperor Maso I of the Tuscan Empire and will glory in it!"

---------------
Early morning, 17 October, 1399. The camp of Legio I, just outside Florence

The Commander was inspecting his troops. He had heard that the Emperor himself might make an appearance later that day and wanted to make the best impression he possibly could. While he had little respect for the Emperor's chief military advisor -- Magister Equitum Agrippa -- the Emperor had promised a new, more powerful army, and that made Maso I a pretty good guy to know. Although the Commander privately considered the Emperor soft, as a former diplomat, he also knew that the degli Ablizzi family had many great soldiers in it and that the blood of heroes flowed through Maso I's vein.

He was talking to his lieutenant, a burly barrel-chested man who had served in the army nearly fifteen years, when a runner came charging into camp, frothing with exertion and completely soaked in sweat. "Commander! Commander! We've spotted troops marching towards the Principality of Urbino! They bore the Papal standard." The Commander immediately thanked the lad, sent him to a tent for a drink and some rest, then penned a quick dispatch to the Emperor himself as he ordered defensive preparations. He did not trust this Pope, and it was rumored that the Pope himself was leading the army. What kind of man of God would lead an army? Weren't they supposed to be peaceful, or something?

chapter110171399.jpg

A few hours later, one of his patrols had been attacked by some soldiers dressed in Papal uniforms. The trumpeter blew to quarters, and the Commander prepared to lead his troops into battle. Before he could climb onto his horse, however, a more important standard flew into camp -- the standard of the Magister Equitum. Agrippa's personal bodyguard surrounded the Commander, while Agrippa himself ordered the troops to stand down. "Commander, what kind of idiot are you? First you insult the personal friend and representative of the Emperor, then you almost lead us into war?! War and peace is not for a mere soldier to decide. Do you perhaps seek to rise above your situation? Guards, arrest him!"

The Commander, easily six feet tall, was not about to take this kind of abuse from a man who had never carried a sword in his life. He placed his hand on his own sword, had half drawn it, when the Emperor himself appeared, having been in the area and received the Commander's note. Before the Commander could speak, Master Agrippa accused the Commander of treason to the Imperial Throne and of usurping the imperium from its rightful owner. At these insidious lies, the Commander freed the sword from its sheath and charged at Master Agrippa in a blind rage. The Imperial bodyguard, along with Agrippa's hand-picked men, easily subdued the Commander, but not before he drew Agrippa's blood. Unfortunately for the Commander, the price for striking an Imperial official was death, and the sentence was carried out immediately, in full sight of the soldiers.

When the dust settled, the Emperor got the truth of the situation. While Agrippa had acted quite rashly and had come close to treason himself for arresting an Imperial commander without the specific order of the Emperor, Agrippa was also right. Clearly, even seasoned veterans of many campaigns could not be trusted to act in the Empire's interests. He could really only trust one man. He nodded quietly to himself, then sent out orders for a council of advisers to be held, at the palace, after the first of the New Year. Important decisions had to be made, and he preferred to have a full council before he acted.

12 January 1400, the Imperial throne room

Some unpleasant weather had prevented the full council from meeting until the 12th of January. The winter snows had played havoc in the roads throughout Tuscany, and the cold snap had been especially unkind to horses. By the time the last official had reached the castle, the Emperor was impatiently waiting. Finally, everybody was seated, and the Emperor could address a full room. As a sign of his displeasure with Master Agrippa, he sat on the Emperor's left hand -- the Imperial Consul, Cato, was on his right. It was Cato he addressed first.

"My Consul, how fares the order of our Empire?" Cato cleared his throat, bowed to the Emperor, and read his report.

"Your Imperial Majesty, your efforts in funding law and order have proven wise. The people of Tuscany enjoy a sense of security and Stability such as they have not experienced in years."

The Emperor looked confused for a moment. "Why did you place extra emphasis on the word stability?"

Cato nervously wiped his forehead, and, thinking quickly, replied, "For the benefit of the read-- er, the council. Not all of them are as well versed in bureaucratic jargon as you, Emperor."

The Emperor's face brightened with understanding, and he indicated that the Consul should be seated. Under his breath, Cato muttered a sigh of relief. Next to speak was Master Agrippa. He did not bother kneeling to the Emperor, a sign of his displeasure, but instead bowed in an extremely exaggerated fashion.

"Emperor Maso I, wisest in all the land, the third regiment has been raised, armed, and trained to your exact specifications. The Legio I is now 3,000 strong, but has so far been led only by lieutenants and sergeants, worthy of training but not commanding. Have you given thought to a new Commander?"

The Emperor scowled. By asking the question so bluntly, Maso I had to answer right away, and he was not yet ready to appoint the man he had envisioned as commander of the first Legion. The Emperor took his frustration out on Agrippa, with barely contained anger, replying, "I will select a new Commander when I am ready to do so, and I assure you, you shall be the first to know. Unless, of course, you have somebody in mind?"

Agrippa's plan had backfired. If he wanted to be a field commander, he must appear humble and never usurp the authority of the Emperor. To suggest himself would make him seem arrogant; to suggest another might risk the Emperor taking him seriously. If he wanted to be Emperor some day -- he was convinced that the dolt currently running things wouldn't last long -- he needed to bide his time, so he merely apologized for the intrusion, stated he did not wish to tie the Emperor's hands, and sat back down.

Before the Emperor could address the Chancellor of the Empire, he noticed the Chancellor excitedly talking with a subordinate. With bad grace, the Emperor waited, before the Chancellor arose, handed a note to the Emperor, and then addressed the audience.

chapter1121400.jpg

The contents of the note

"My fellow members of the Imperial Council, this is wonderful news! Tuscany now has a protector in Italy, in addition to the Holy Rom-- er, German Emperor." He choked off his earlier thought when the Emperor stared daggers at him. After he finished, the Chancellor meekly sat back down.

The Emperor then rose. "My friends, you have given me much to think on. You may all return to your homes -- I will call a new council in six months' time. Master Agrippa, please wait in my chambers. Chancellor, I must have a word with you."

The Chancellor gulped and approached the throne. The Emperor, seeing his apprehension, patted him on the back and smiled. "You are a good man, my friend. I understand that this has been a very difficult time for you, as you have been a diplomat for many years and there have been many changes. You are in no danger -- I merely wanted to ask you to send a dispatch to Sicily as soon as a courier is available. I have heard they have no heir and inheriting their throne would please me greatly; see if the King of Sicily would consider an alliance through marriage with one of my younger sisters." The Chancellor, doing his best not to appear relieved, curtly nodded, bowed, and left.

The Emperor entered his chambers, where Agrippa was standing. "My oldest friend, you have a habit of forgetting yourself. I will not have my authority questioned or undermined in the presence of the council. You nearly defied me once, and just barely escaped execution. Do not make this mistake again." Agrippa, furious but in control of his emotions, apologized profusely and left.

Now alone, the Emperor wondered what would happen in six months' time, at the next council. Cato was unquestioningly loyal, but Agrippa was becoming a little too presumptuous in exercising authority on behalf of the Emperor. Until there was an heir to the throne, Agrippa was a threat to his sovereignty.

----------------------------------------
15 June 1400, one of the Imperial gardens

The Emperor was very pleased with events. At the end of January, the ambassador to Sicily had come to Florence and personally delivered the King's acceptance of Tuscany's proposal. Things were looking up for the Empire! He'd also had a talk with some scholars at the University of Florence, who were learning exciting things in the field of law and administration. Soon, he could use these bright new young men to make important changes to Imperial policy, but not yet. As he was enjoying the solitude of his favorite garden, his countenance quickly changed as he saw one of the many young couriers at full gallop towards him. The courier dismounted, bowed, and handed a dispatch to the Emperor.

chapter16151400.jpg

The Emperor swore. The courier, startled, begged the Emperor's forgiveness. Not wishing to be executed as the bearer of bad news, he quickly ran to horse and rode away.

For Maso I, his day had been ruined. He had hoped Urbino would hold out against Papal aggression, and for an idle moment, wondered about what might have been, if he had ordered a declaration of war on the Pope, but he quickly pushed such thoughts aside as foolish speculation. There was a month left before the council -- what else would go wrong?

-------------------------------------------------
13 July 1400, the Imperial Council Chambers

Instead of waiting for the reports of his trusted advisers, the Emperor startled everyone, speaking as soon as they were all seated.

"My friends, the Pope is becoming a threat to all Tuscany and her people stand for. By annexing Urbino, we are effectively cut off from Naples and denied access to the sea. I would like to act against the Pope as soon possible, if it is practical. Chancellor, what have your ambassadors been telling you?"

The Chancellor reached into a small bag he had sitting beside him, flipped through several notes, and then spoke. "Emperor, although Tuscany has many friends, none are willing to support us with military assistance. Milan is still not interested in an alliance -- every time I bring it up, the Milanese representatives politely but firmly insist that it is impossible. Overtures to our neighbors throughout Italy have met with the same result. What is worse, the island of Sardinia has made some powerful enemies -- Savoy, Hesse, Austria, the Pope, and Sicily and has been at war for some days now."

The Emperor was irritated that he did not know sooner, but for the moment said nothing. He knew that he was nearly invulnerable to attack, as long as he had protection from the Holy German Emperor and Milan, but Tuscany could not rebuild the glory of Rome without, well, Rome for one thing, and more importantly, expanding her territory. Cato and Agrippa had nothing new to report. Agrippa, for once, was his old self, which both pleased and worried the Emperor. Agrippa either had accepted his lot in life or was scheming behind his back. Only time would tell which was the case.

--------------------------------------------------------------
22 November 1400, Imperial Chancellor's office

When the Diplomatic Chancellor of the Empire looked up from his desk one winter morning, he was startled to see the Emperor standing there, waiting impatiently to speak with him.

"Please forgive me, Your Imperial Majesty. I did not see you standing there."

"Chancellor, how fare your efforts in Italy and Europe? Have you news?"

The Chancellor was now visibly nervous. He had no good news to report, but the Emperor had been understanding in the past. He decided to be as honest as possible and take the consequences. "Emperor, I approached Ferraran and Mantuan representatives and requested marital alliances -- both declined. Austria was excommunicated by the Pope -- we believe at Sardinian behest -- but nobody did anything about it. Venice also conquered the Greek province of Epirus and added it to her territory."

The Emperor took this all in stride. Nothing terribly important had happened. Still, he needed to correct the Chancellor's laxity in not keeping him informed. "Very well, Chancellor. However, I must insist that all wars between our neighbors should be reported immediately. Other news is unimportant."

"Yes, Emperor. Speaking of which, I heard there was a war between England and France --"

"England? Who cares about England? I hope you are not wasting valuable informants and contacts on events that do not concern Tuscany." [1]

The Chancellor, cowed, nodded, apologized, and the Emperor left. The Chancellor, alone again, thought to himself, Perhaps I ought to consider retirement. I can't keep up with this forever.

----------------------------------------------------

14 August 1401, the Imperial Throne Room

Not much happened to Tuscany in the preceding months, and the Emperor was pleased. Sardinia paid a small indemnity to Aragon in exchange for independence, but all the other frontiers were quiet. His herald announced the entrance of the Diplomatic Chancellor and Consul Cato. The Emperor took notice -- it was extremely unusual for both of them to enter at once, and he beckoned to his guards to let them in.

The Chancellor spoke first. "Emperor, it has come to our attention that a rebellion has broken out in Pisa. They claim to be distant relatives to the King of Milan and demand to be heard."

Maso I, visibly puzzled, took this in, but shot an inquiring glance at both men. Who cared?

The Chancellor looked at the Consul, who spoke next. "Your Imperial Majesty, we have an opportunity here. A member of the Sienese resistance has requested our covert aid. With the area in turmoil, we could take advantage of an opportunity to weaken a potential rival without their ever knowing!"

The Chancellor, silently thanking Consul Cato, then added, "This could be even more beneficial. As you know, Emperor Maso, we have had claims on Siena for centuries, and a newly independent nation is likely to be quite weak. It could be a perfect opportunity to expand with little to no interference!"

The Emperor had the hang of it now, and quickly authorized the funds. 25 gold was a small price to pay!

chapter18141401.jpg

The Tuscan spy sent back a note with just two words: Watch Siena. In a matter of days, a new rebellion broke out in the provinces, and Milan was none the wiser! The two rebellious groups actually fought a great battle, but the Sienese, hungry for independence, easily defeated the pretender and occupied their ancestral homelands, Pisa and Siena. It would take some time for the fortresses to fall, but Milanese troops were nowhere to be seen, so they had all the time in the world.

------------------------------------------------------------
17 February 1403, the Empress's bedroom

1402 had been a very relaxing (some might say boring) time for Tuscany. Those nations still at war in Italy had signed white peaces and no new ones had broken out. A Swedish economist, Axel Gathenhielm, had visited Tuscany at the end of 1401 and had some new ideas to keep inflation under control, if Tuscany needed to mint some gold for expenditures in the future. Delighted, the Emperor hired Axel and gave him a place at the Imperial Court. Axel was equally pleased -- a relative journeyman in his field, he had nonetheless secured a position of power in a rising Empire. [2] More would follow in the future.

In the middle of the night, however, life became very exciting for the Emperor very quickly. He did not speak much to the Empress most days, as she was actually quite hideous and he had only married her for money. In exchange for the right to call herself Empress and a comfortable life, she agreed to look the other way when his eye roved. She was just pleased to finally be married, and to royalty too! However, when he received word that a son had been born, he ran to the bedchamber as quickly as he had ever run in his entire life.

A maid was outside to greet him. The Emperor took her aside and asked, discretely, who the child's mother was. The Empress was quite barren, had been when she married Maso, and so part of the arrangement had always been to claim that any child he did have was the Empress's. The maid informed him it had been the young widow he had visited about nine months ago, during one of his treasured trips around the country. This young widow, who was to remain nameless in Tuscan history, nevertheless was a strong woman, and the Emperor was well pleased, and hoped his son would be just as strong. He named the child Leopoldo after a favorite uncle and, for the first time since he had become Emperor, was genuinely happy and at peace. He ordered all churches to pray for his baby boy and heir to his throne -- he wasn't terribly religious, but figured it couldn't hurt. To be on the safe side, he hired an astrologer, who said that the outlook for his son would be quite positive.

chapter12171403.jpg

He was so delighted with his son that he spent the next few weeks playing with him -- things were going well in the Empire, and Cato's capable hands would ensure that the Empire continued to run smoothly. He forgot all about the command problems in the First Legion; with no wars, they were mostly on garrison duty. As they were well paid, the soldiers accepted the good life they had.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[11 April 1403, The Imperial Throne Room]

Little Leopoldo was playing with a wooden soldier the Swede Axel had made for him -- the boy was captivated by the brightly painted toy and it never left his side. The Emperor hoped that this was a sign he would be a soldier some day, and give the Empire the military leader it desperately needed.

The Diplomatic Chancellor entered. First, he updated the Emperor on a surprisingly fast war that Venice had declared with Montenegro -- Montenegro had sworn eternal fealty to the Doge of Venice in exchange for some autonomy. He also shared a successful marriage proposal with Savoy. The Chancellor, having concluded his business for the day, returned to his office, pleased that, for once, the Emperor had not been too harsh on him. The new son was a boon to the entire Empire!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 March 1404, the camp of the Legio I

Although he was still not officially Commander of the Legion, Master Agrippa had quietly assumed de facto command, since the Emperor was still distracted with his new son. He had even fashioned a ridiculous looking uniform, simultaneously bright yellow, pale red, and an incredibly sharp blue, which he thought looked quite splendid. When the Emperor did ride by the camp, Agrippa was smart enough to hide this uniform, but more and more came to think he deserved it.

The truth was, he still had very little to do. All the wars between Italian countries and the rest of the world were ending in White Peace, with no real changes among Tuscany's neighbors. Still, he had some hope of glory, as the Emperor had proclaimed an Imperial Guarantee of Naples' sovereignty. Although a little absurd -- Naples had a large army and was quite capable of defending herself -- the Emperor had hoped that it would be the first step towards an alliance between the neighbors. As it was, however, it was not to be. [3]

Agrippa continued polishing his sword, idly wondering if, perhaps, it might one day taste Imperial blood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18 February 1405, Camp of the First Legion

Agrippa had waited a long time for this day. The Emperor, with his son a bit older and in the care of the finest tutors money could buy, had finally returned to the affairs of state and had promised to name a new commander today. Perhaps the Urbinese nationalist rebellion had disturbed the Emperor, for while it was put down, Tuscany would have benefited from a successful revolution that could deprive the Pope of needed manpower.

A sentry frantically motioned to the trumpeter, who played a brisk marching tune in honor of the Emperor's arrival. Maso I dismounted and received the salute of the entire Legion, including Agrippa. "Ah, Master Agrippa, I see you have been very busy! The troops are in excellent condition, I must say, and you have done a fine job. In fact, I'd say you were due for a promotion!"

Agrippa bristled with pride at this news. His position as Magister Equitum had lost much of its prestige after his repeated blunders in Florence -- so much so that he had voluntarily resigned from the office and accepted a lesser commission as Imperial Agent for Military Affairs. He was a lot less proud once the Emperor continued. "Henceforth, my old friend, you shall be the new Diplomatic Chancellor of all the Empire! I know you miss your days in Florence, and in truth, I have missed having you there. The old Chancellor -- a rather nervous fellow -- has long requested the right to retire, and I can think of no better replacement. Congratulations!"

Although smiling the entire time, both Agrippa and the Emperor knew this was no promotion for Agrippa. The Imperial Chancellor did receive a comfortable salary, a palatial home, and sizable estates, but little actual authority, particularly under an Emperor who insisted on keeping his own counsel for foreign affairs. Images of Agrippa, standing over Maso I's prone body, flashed through his head, briefly, but he knew that he would be cut down on the spot, and the truth of the matter was, he knew he could never be Emperor, despite a long tradition of assassinations in the old Roman Empire. Maso I had a son, young and strong, and at best, he could hope for a position on the Regency Council, but he had made few friends in Florence and could not honestly expect to be appointed. He had gambled and intrigued, but he had lost, and so, although seething inwardly, Agrippa accepted the promotion.

Pleased, both at effectively neutralizing his rival and genuine relief that he had finally made up his mind, the Emperor announced the new commander of the Legio I: himself. The only man that Maso I could trust to effectively administer the army was Maso I. The First Legion would henceforth be honored with the sobriquet "Imperator."

chapter12181405.jpg

Just as Agrippa began to think he might have some authority after all, with the Emperor in the field, the Emperor put the final dagger in his heart. "As you have no doubt realized, in the field, I cannot effectively administer the government of Tuscany. Therefore, I have given Consul Cato full authority to act on my behalf when I am unable to lead myself. At those times, you, as my oldest friend, will be at my side, both to send dispatches to our friends and enemies, and as my second-in-command." Agrippa's heart fell, and he nearly burst into tears. He had not only lost, but the Emperor, in those final words, showed that he had correctly read Agrippa's heart and recognized his plot. In the field, Agrippa would be too busy fighting to intrigue any further; in Florence, the Emperor could easily undermine Agrippa, and Cato was no friend to him either. He was a beaten man, and could but acquiesce.

The Emperor saluted, almost mockingly, his former friend, then rode off to begin reorganizing the army.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
9 August 1405, the office of the Imperial Chancellor

Cato stormed into Agrippa's office, furious.

"Agrippa, you imbecile, why have you not been reporting to the Emperor? He is beside himself with rage and is ready to have you arrested for incompetence!"

Agrippa knew the Emperor couldn't care less -- he was too busy in the field, occasionally bringing his son along, to the delight of his troops. Attempts to nickname Leopoldo "Caligula", or "Little Boots", were quickly discouraged after a scholar from the University told them what had happened to the last Caligula in Roman history. He was still immensely popular, unlike Agrippa. This was Cato's personal vendetta against Agrippa, as when Agrippa was Magister Equitum, he had bullied Cato into submission on any number of times.

Agrippa, swallowing his pride, meekly handed Cato the report. Attempts by the nationalists of Urbino had failed once again. In better news, royal marriages had been secured with France, Aragon, Austria, and Mantua, with only Sardinia declining. Alliances were still not being pursued, as very few countries were interested.

Cato gruffly acknowledged the report, scolded him again, and left. Agrippa wept softly -- he had fallen very far in a short time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 1405, the farmer's market in Ancona

The Tuscan man was very nervous. He had not been to Ancona before, and many considered him a subject of amusement -- an Empire that did not expand was no Empire, and he was, to some extent, a laughingstock. He still had a mission to perform, and met with his contact, a fruit seller.

The citizen of Tuscany asked the seller for three oranges and a jar of olive oil. The seller raised an eyebrow, and nodded. He had been told to expect an agent of the Tuscan Empire, who would ask for something he did not sell and three oranges. The fruit seller did not sell olive oil because the artisan who produced jars refused to deal with the seller, probably because they had both fancied the same girl and the fruit seller succeeded. Any local would know that.

The Imperial agent handed the seller 25 ducats, and the seller put it under his cart. Then, he handed the Tuscan the oranges and a jar of olive oil he had purchased for this reason at a neighboring town.

Later that day, the fruit seller went to the local tavern, ordered a glass of cheap wine, and slipped the money and a note to the bartender. The bartender, secretly a patriot of the Party for Revolution in Urbino, used the money to buy some additional weapons, but could not raise any more troops. The Papal army easily defeated the Urbinese again.

chapter19261405.jpg

The agent's mission was successful, however, and evading detection, he stole a horse under cover of night and rode back to Florence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 June 1406, Imperial Council Chambers

The Emperor, for the first time in weeks, returned to Tuscany, leaving a capable subordinate to command the army while he was gone. He had called this Imperial Council as a routine administrative affair. He had not expected much to happen, but that quickly changed, when an out-of-breath ambassador from Milan burst into the room.

"Your Imperial Majesty, news from Milan!"

The Emperor, annoyed but intrigued at the interruption -- they had been discussing economic policy with the always-helpful Swede Axel -- greedily ripped the note from the ambassador's hand.

chapter1671406.jpg

The Emperor knew he had a unique opportunity. A new nation such as Siena would not have many friends or allies yet. With a legitimate claim on Sienese soil, the German Emperor could not legally get involved. At last, Tuscany might finally expand! He grabbed his sword from the wall, dismissed the council, and made for the Legio I "Imperator" camp, pausing only to order Agrippa to follow. He would choose the perfect moment, then strike!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game play notes:

[1] I won't be discussing events that don't affect Tuscany, but you will periodically get maps that show how Europe has changed.

[2] He's a 2* Master of Mint.

[3] I'm actually getting a little miffed here, since absolutely nobody seems to even consider allying. If I get prestige, I'll cancel the Milan mission and hope something better comes along.

Next update will be at the end of next week. I have more game play to get through, and I'm not sure when I'll DOW Siena. They've got a bigger army than me, but the longer I take, the more likely they'll have allies.

Great start! Do not surrender! Reload for gods sake! :D
and i think that if Romans would rule north africa they would assume whole sahara (not that they would collonise it, but encircle it with latin farm-border settlements in the grass savannah areas http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Vegetation_Africa.png with exception of corridor around nile to it's origin, and eritrean coast.

You might be right about that; I will surely consider this when/if I succeed in getting that far :D

Option 2, or i stop reading your Vicky 2 AAR.

Blackmail, is it? :mad: Very well, I give in to your demands. :D

glad you went with #2 ... but I personally would ensure that your grudge against the Pope influences future Tuscan policy in a suitable manner ... it would be good for the Pope's spiritual things if you relieved him of the burden of having to rule all that time consuming land.