• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Huzzah, my character finally became a Duke. He also left quite a legacy and pretty big shoes for his son to fill.

Huzzah! Italy belongs to Tuscany! I can't wait until you inherit Milan and finally form Italy. Now you just have to send endless gifts to Milan and hope for Emperor John I to fall down the stairs or something at just the right moment. ;)

Huzzah! Italy belongs to Tuscany! I can't wait until you inherit Milan and finally form Italy. Now you just have to send endless gifts to Milan and hope for Emperor John I to fall down the stairs or something at just the right moment. ;)

Why gifts? Do relations have an effect on whether or not you inherit? I thought it was just prestige. :confused:

Why gifts? Do relations have an effect on whether or not you inherit? I thought it was just prestige. :confused:

They don't affect it, but if your relations are under 0 the union dies with your Emperor. The AI knows it, so Milan may try to insult its way below 0.

They don't affect it, but if your relations are under 0 the union dies with your Emperor. The AI knows it, so Milan may try to insult its way below 0.

That's why I suggested the gifts. It incredibly frustrating when you finally form a personal union and it falls apart because you didn't get relations up in time. The faster you send the gifts, the less risk of the union falling apart.
I think they usually only send insults if you're smaller than them. At least that's what I've encountered.

Congratulations, it is truly epic to see all of these families (Cato, Cicero, Gratis etc.) progressing through the ages with both new generations and new families being introduced - at this pace in the 18th century this will be turn into a hyperhistoric soap opera :D

By the way, it would be quite nice if you could elaborate on the relation between John I and his heir? I know it is a relative, but what is his relation to the previous emperors? The only thing I have in mind would be a bastard of his late half-sorry-excuse-of-a-brother-with-crappy-stats ;)

Last edited:

That's why I suggested the gifts. It incredibly frustrating when you finally form a personal union and it falls apart because you didn't get relations up in time. The faster you send the gifts, the less risk of the union falling apart.
I think they usually only send insults if you're smaller than them. At least that's what I've encountered.

Ah hah! Very good to know; thankfully I haven't played too far past this last update, or that could have been very irritating.

Duke of Istria? :confused:

Istria and Sardinia were the only two territories outside the HRE that I could take without fear of Austria demanding them back.

Congratulations, it is truly epic to see all of these families (Cato, Cicero, Gratis etc.) progressing through the ages with both new generations and new families being introduced - at this pace in the 18th century this will be turn into a hyperhistoric soap opera :D

By the way, it would be quite nice if you could elaborate on the relation between John I and his heir? I know it is a relative, but what is his relation to the previous emperors? The only thing I have in mind would be a bastard of his late half-sorry-excuse-of-a-brother-with-crappy-stats ;)

Good question; I haven't the foggiest idea :) He was eight years old when John I became Emperor; he couldn't be a younger brother, since Julius was dead, and corpses don't have kids (as far as I know). The old Gian Gastone Datti was also dead; I went with the distant cousin suggestion.

I was always a genealogy freak, so "distant cousin" will not suffice :D

To help you out, I made a family tree of the Datti's - sorry for the image not being top quality, but I didn't have too much times due to exams :(

So, back to the main topic: A suggestion about Rudolfo. Gain Datti 'the elder" ( ;) ), the party loving son of Julius who everybody thought have died young on some obscure fever was old enough to just die from old age. He had plenty of time to sire a son, who in turn could have a son of his own already XD - I remember that after his death, Julius asked his men to look for bastards of his son in Rome - which means they could find a son of one of these bastards :rolleyes: You don't have to follow this suggestion of course, but this would be the closest "plausible" relative, allowing the lineage of Julius I Magnus to live on :)

Just to make things clear: people starting with "Dux" and not having latinized names did not rule, so both "Dux Gian" and "Iohn" were half brothers who had the same names.

Last edited:
Just caught up myself... Very entertaining AAR, I really enjoy your writing style. I do wonder how you'll continue the detailed, well-explained narrative beyond your conquest of Italy (when you're rushing to try to turbo-conquer big nations like Spain, France, and GBR), but I look forward to seeing you do so. Even if you never get that far, I'm confident it'll remain a fun read.

just been catching up

really impressed by the way that Tuscany easily shifts from disaster in Greece to the hint of triumph in Italy ... & a very appropriate end for Emperor John too.

He's not done yet, but probably done with war (at least for a bit).

Just caught up myself... Very entertaining AAR, I really enjoy your writing style. I do wonder how you'll continue the detailed, well-explained narrative beyond your conquest of Italy (when you're rushing to try to turbo-conquer big nations like Spain, France, and GBR), but I look forward to seeing you do so. Even if you never get that far, I'm confident it'll remain a fun read.

Thanks for the kind words! I'll try to keep things as entertaining as possible.

So, I've been distracted by various RL things and haven't touched EU 3 in a while -- I will try to get a new update to finish off King John's reign sometime this week.

Question: did you actually make it a noble's republic? I couldn't really tell if that just for story purposes or an actual in-game change.

Good catch; it's still an Empire. However, Tuscany is a Noble Republic if you don't mod it (as I did). I have zero plans to ever change from an Empire (at least not before 1650 and the end of Holy War).