• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
State of the Empire, 1500

2 January 1500, the Imperial Council Chamber

The Imperial herald waited until all those present were seated, then unrolled a scroll and began to read the names of those present:

John I Datti, Emperor of Tuscany
Rodolfo Datti, Prince of Tuscany, Duke of Rome, and Heir to the Throne
Count Axel Gathenhielm, Chancellor of the Empire
Count Andreas Germanicus, Marshal of the Empire, Commandant of the Legions
Count Bonaventura Bizzelli, Court Philosopher
Count Pietro Leopoldo Bizzelli, Minister for Foreign Affairs
Sextus Porcius Cato, Duke of Pisa and Siena
Publius Porcius Cato, Duke of Naples
Agrippa Tullius Cicero, Duke of Romagna and Ancona
Bartolomeo del Moro, Duke of Sicily and Malta
Tiberius Graecus, Duke of Constantinople

The herald bowed, then left the room. Emperor John I rose and opened the meeting.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen of the Empire. I know we all are looking forward to the festivities, so I will make sure we are done as quickly as possible. Let us begin by examining a map of the Empire of Tuscany."

sote1500italy.jpg

Marshal Germanicus rose, and began to address the borders of the Empire.

"My Emperor, we are more secure now than we ever been, thanks to your leadership. Our loyal vassals Modena and Ferrara, along with our fraternal ally Parma, guard our northern border. We have one of the largest fleets in Europe, as we will see later on, and no real enemies left in Italy.

"In Asia minor, things are a little more dangerous. The Ottoman Empire completely surrounds Thrace, and while we have a superior fleet, the Turk could quite easily overrun us. This is a threat we must deal with sooner, rather than later.

"The dominant power in Europe is Austria. At some point, we will have to reclaim our lands in Italy and the coast of the Adriatic. As leader of the Hol- I mean Damned German Empire, Austria is a threat not to be taken lightly. We should, after perhaps confronting the Ottoman Empire, begin seeking out additional allies, apart from Sweden, Ferrara, Modena, and Parma. Are there any questions?"

There were none. Emperor John thanked Marshal Germanicus, then turned to Chancellor Gathenhielm.

"Chancellor, if you would, please present the state of our economy."

The Swede rose from his seat, and placed three documents on the table.

sote1500economy.jpg

The monthly income of the Empire of Tuscany

sote1500incomeyearly.jpg

The yearly revenues of the Empire, 1499

sote1500cost.jpg

The yearly expenditures of the Empire, 1499

Axel then cleared his throat and began to speak.

"First, our monthly income. We have a small shortfall each month, but we more than make up for this with our yearly census taxes. As you can see, taxation is our dominant source of monthly wealth. Thanks to the National Bank of the Tuscan Empire, we are able to mint a fair sum each month -- 8.3 ducats -- and incur no inflation. Our monthly investment in Land Technology will ensure that we have the most modern soldiers in all of Europe.

"In 1499, production was our single greatest source of income; the Constables and Workshops of the Empire have been incredibly profitable. Our vassals accounted for an additional 13.7 ducats last year; less than we would make should we annex them properly, but a considerable sum nonetheless.

"Our military was our only major expenditure in 1499, and even so we made a considerable profit on the year. This next chart will show our income compared to the rest of the world."

sote1500income.jpg

"We are seventh in the entire world; all those higher than us are many times our size, giving them far more citizens to tax. Great Britain has had tremendous success with trading as well; we currently only have merchants in Thrace, which this chart will show."

sote1500cot.jpg

"Venice is the largest COT in the world, as you can clearly see, but Holland is no. 2, and the belongs to Great Britain. I believe this accounts for their superiority in income. Thrace is #5. I would advise, if possible, that we consider making some sort of arrangement with Venice, to boost our chances of successfully trading with them."

Emperor John I replied, "Or we could just annex them."

Everybody laughed, until they realized the Emperor was not joking. The room got deadly silent. The Chancellor coughed, and removed two more charts from his sheaf.

sote1500pies.jpg

An artist's succinct rendering of several key areas

sote1500emperors.jpg

The official history of the Emperors of Tuscany

"Gentlemen of the Imperial Council, we are nearly unified religiously; the missionary has run into considerable resistance converting the people of Constantinople, but will continue to try. Fish and wine are our predominant trade goods. Europe properly recognizes about half of our lands as ancestrally Tuscan; Naples, Constantinople, Sicily, and Malta should become core soon. We graciously allow the Umbrian culture to flourish, and once Sicily is part of our core lands, I have no doubt that Sicilian will also flourish under the Empire of Tuscany."

Everybody expected an outburst from the Emperor over his place in Imperial history, but he quietly nodded. "Thank you, Chancellor. Marshal, if you please?"

Marshal Germanicus rose again. His own sheaf of documents contained the state of the Tuscan military and two comparison charts.

sote1500armynavy.jpg

Tuscany's army and navy

sote1500armies.jpg

The armies of the world

sote1500navies.jpg

The navies of the world

"We currently have 45,000 soldiers, divided into five Legions. Two are currently in Thrace, the First and the Fifth. The Second is stationed in Siena, the Third in Pisa, and the Fourth Legion in Apulia. Our fleet is stationed in Thrace as well. Since the Ottoman Empire is our biggest concern right now, I feel it should remain docked there until further notice. Any questions on troop deployment?"

The Duke of Sicily raised his hand. "Why isn't the Second Legion in Sicily?"

Andreas nodded. "Duke del Moro, at present we are more concerned about Austria than any invasion by sea of Sicily, which our fleet is perfectly capable of handling with little problem. If necessary, we will send the Fourth Legion over the Strait of Messina to assist with any problems. Anything else?"

There were no further questions.

"Very well. We have the ninth largest army in the world and the fifth largest navy, just one ship shy of our only rivals in Italy, Venice. We can build three additional ships, and I recommend we do so at the earliest possible opportunity. Three more Carracks would give us an overwhelming edge over Venice. Without either more of our lands becoming core or additional conquests, I cannot expand the Legions without considerable increases in funding. Chancellor, is this something we might consider?"

Chancellor Gathenhielm shook his head. "Not at present, Marshal Germanicus. We will continue expanding our buildings, especially Constables and Workshops, as well as adding additional buildings for our fleet, such as Docks and Drydocks. It is more beneficial, in the long run, to spend our treasury on buildings than on the military. We could perhaps hire mercenaries, should we need additional men in the future."

The Marshal nodded. "That is all I had for today, my Emperor."

Emperor John I now rose.

"We have one final matter to consider."

sote1500sliders.jpg

"We must discuss what policy changes we should make. We have maximized the amount we can practically centralize without riots in the streets. We could consider giving our citizens greater freedoms, but does anybody else have a concrete suggestion?"

Sextus Porcius Cato rose. "Emperor, I believe that we must expand our scientific knowledge if we are to prosper against those foes with larger armies. We should encourage Innovation."

Marshal Germanicus rose again. "We need troops of the very highest Quality to defeat our larger enemies as well; moves in that direction would be very welcome."

Chancellor Gathenhielm was the last to speak. "I believe you should continue to emphasize our Aristocracy. Mercantilism would also be wise, particularly if we add Venice to the Imperial crown someday."

Emperor John nodded once. "Those are all fine suggestions; when we next need to change our policies, I will consider them all carefully.

"Our most immediate task would be to pursue some sort of diplomatic relationship with Milan. To declare the rebirth of Italy, we need the province of Lombardia. A Personal Union would be ideal; if and when my successors inherit, we could then immediately proclaim the Empire of Italy. I would also like to annex lands from the Ottoman Empire; in particular, I have found some ancient documents that could allow us to consider Burgas as core territory.

"I have one final task for our people. We must someday challenge Austria. We do not need to do this immediately, but it would be ideal if we could soon. The longer they remain Damned German Emperor, the more tightly they hold sway over Central Europe. I do not care who runs the Germanies; I do care that they hold our ancestral lands. As soon as it is practical, we will also declare our independence from the Damned German Empire. If we can secure the Personal Union with Milan, that would be our opportunity to leave. Are there any final thoughts or concerns?"

Marshal Germanicus had one question. "Emperor, once we have the right to regain the former cores of the Roman Empire, would this not inevitably bring us into conflict with Austria, if they attempt to preserve their Empire and we are not part of it?"

John I appeared slightly irritated at this question. "Marshal, it is your responsibility to ensure that we can handle that challenge when the time comes. The Damned German Empire should not be master of our lands; if we must fight them for it, so be it. I will tolerate no dissent on this question. Is there any other question?"

There were none; many present appeared anxious to leave the Empire and participate in the celebration.

"Then you are all dismissed. Enjoy the festival!"

As Andreas Germanicus rose to leave, the Emperor placed one hand on his shoulder. When everybody else had left, he spoke to his Marshal.

"Andreas, that kind of question must never be brought up in public again. I cannot have my authority directly challenged. I recognize that you have many more years of military experience than I do -- you have been Commandant for 26 years, and Marshal since Publius Porcius Cato retired. However, I have a responsibility to my people, and one of them is ensuring that Tuscany is not interfered with by some fool in Vienna. My foreign policy has been greatly restricted by Austria's constant drain on our diplomats. We must have freedom as soon as possible. Do you understand?"

Andreas hesitated briefly, then nodded. "Yes, your Imperial Majesty. Perhaps my love for my former home is clouding my judgment."

The Emperor's expression softened. "It must be very difficult to be so far away from your friends. I have not forgotten our deal. You are still well under 60, and fully capable of leading our men into battle, should the need arise. Are you feeling well? No nagging injuries?"

Andreas shook his head.

The Emperor then said, "Very well, Marshal. You are dismissed. Enjoy the celebration!"

After he had left, the Emperor looked at something he had not shown the rest of the council; a map of the world, prepared by some of the finest cartographers money could buy.

eu3maptus1500122.jpg

He alone understood that there were lands across the sea. Empty lands (or reasonably close to empty) existed for the taking. However, he had decided to keep this information secret; Europe should be the Roman Empire's concern, not some fanciful land thousands of miles away.

He'd also left one other thing out of the meeting. He had already decided to declare war on the Ottoman Empire as soon as an opportunity arose, and he had no intentions of ever allowing that German-born troublemaker anywhere near the troops in the field. Andreas Germanicus was too popular and well known in the Empire to fire him, but he could at least make sure that he never got anywhere near a field command and a Duchy.

He smiled and laughed quietly. If his father was Julius the Great, he would be known as John the Greatest.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will have the next update done sometime next week, most likely.

I can't wait for the day when you make the Damned German Emperor beg at your feet. Hopefully Tuscany will have an opportunity to strike at some point.

We can only hope. :D

:eek: What has happened to Norway? It appears to have developed a severe infection of Burgundian measles... Along with some kind of painful British inflammation.

And who's the scary red blob in Persia?

:eek: What has happened to Norway? It appears to have developed a severe infection of Burgundian measles... Along with some kind of painful British inflammation.

And who's the scary red blob in Persia?

I think you're right re: Norway; the Red Blob in Persia would be the Timurids.

That Bastard John! How dare he bar my character from a field command or a duchy! Well we will see if he changes his mind about that. I also feel he sounds a bit arrogant and overconfident. I wonder if he is setting himself up for a rude awakening somewhere down the line.

What's all that cream around Portugal's last province? Morocco?

That Bastard John! How dare he bar my character from a field command or a duchy! Well we will see if he changes his mind about that. I also feel he sounds a bit arrogant and overconfident. I wonder if he is setting himself up for a rude awakening somewhere down the line.

Don't worry, John I will get his just desserts.

How about converting all Muslims before 1650?

Remember, trying to go with a new Roman Empire here; if I get that, then we'll talk about the rest of the world :)

What's all that cream around Portugal's last province? Morocco?

The northern bit is Galicia; the rest is Morocco, as you surmised.

Allright, I have finally caught up with this AAR, good job! This is (for me) less instructive than your Vic2 AAR, but much more enjoyable.
It's a very interesting Italian AAR, hope you can get to unite the Italian nation as soon as possible. I found other interesting Italian AARs, but they're in the HOI3 section so I get bored because I don't understand the game T_T
Back in the real world, this year is the 150th since Italian unity. But we can still dream of having been a true nation since the XVI century ;-) So keep it up!
Also, the city where I was born almost belongs to Tuscany XP

What's your next plan of expansion? I'd suggest the Middle East. Once you break the back of the Ottomans, it should all be easy, cheap expansion. How many troops do the Ottomans have in Thrace right now?

Allright, I have finally caught up with this AAR, good job! This is (for me) less instructive than your Vic2 AAR, but much more enjoyable.
It's a very interesting Italian AAR, hope you can get to unite the Italian nation as soon as possible. I found other interesting Italian AARs, but they're in the HOI3 section so I get bored because I don't understand the game T_T
Back in the real world, this year is the 150th since Italian unity. But we can still dream of having been a true nation since the XVI century ;-) So keep it up!
Also, the city where I was born almost belongs to Tuscany XP

Welcome aboard! It will eventually, as I plan on getting as much of Roman Italy as possible :D

Nom nom nom...

Indeed.

What's your next plan of expansion? I'd suggest the Middle East. Once you break the back of the Ottomans, it should all be easy, cheap expansion. How many troops do the Ottomans have in Thrace right now?

The Ottomans have zero troops in Thrace; we here at the Empire of Tuscany don't let foreign troops wander willy-nilly through our soil :p

I've already played farther than this (about ten years or so), but I'm still hung up on unifying Italy. Once I've done that, and cleaned up my borders, my next target would probably be the Ottoman lands, although France is in a lot of turmoil right now. ::strokes beard thoughtfully::

Nom nom nom...
Sorry, I am a bit slow sometimes... You mean the name of my home-city? We say "nome" in Italian, "nom" could be French ^^ If you were talking about something else I apologize ^^"""
Anyway, about that city, is a tasty province which doesn't have a port in the real world...

About gameplay, have you considered blobbing a bit using the Holy War CB as suggested? Just in case you have to assert you rights on northern Italy against Austria. Although I appreciate sticking to your realistic plans for expansion.
And what are the strategies to avoid/deal with the Formal Request Event?

If you plan to use the old "block the Bosporus" trick on the Ottomans (and I am guessing you are, after you bragged a few times about your fleet being superior to them ;) ) make sure that the Turks don't have MA around the Black sea. This nearly caused my Castilian invasion to fail.

On the other hand, if the Ottomans march so far, they will surely suffer from attrition, so it's a double edged blade...

Sorry, I am a bit slow sometimes... You mean the name of my home-city? We say "nome" in Italian, "nom" could be French ^^ If you were talking about something else I apologize ^^"""
Anyway, about that city, is a tasty province which doesn't have a port in the real world...

About gameplay, have you considered blobbing a bit using the Holy War CB as suggested? Just in case you have to assert you rights on northern Italy against Austria. Although I appreciate sticking to your realistic plans for expansion.
And what are the strategies to avoid/deal with the Formal Request Event?

Holy War is certainly one of the strategies I intend to use; as a minor spoiler, it's the CB I use on the Ottoman Empire. To avoid Austria demanding Lombardy, I'm going to go the PU-Inherit route; it will take quite a while to pull this off with Milan (provided I achieve a PU, of course), but the Empire can't demand territories I have as a core. My biggest problem is that Austria has a stranglehold on the HRE; there's never fewer than five electors voting for them.

Of course, lands outside the HRE are fair game. :D

If you plan to use the old "block the Bosporus" trick on the Ottomans (and I am guessing you are, after you bragged a few times about your fleet being superior to them ;) ) make sure that the Turks don't have MA around the Black sea. This nearly caused my Castilian invasion to fail.

On the other hand, if the Ottomans march so far, they will surely suffer from attrition, so it's a double edged blade...

A fair point. In my game, however, I am fortunate that most of the coast around the Black Sea is Golden Horde territory, and the Horde don't let no-one have access.

My current goal is to have the next update (war with the Turks) next week; my class finishes on Friday, so I won't be as pressed for time.

I do believe that he was using an internet expression that indicates eating, as in Avindian eating up all those countries... thats my interpretation anyways

Anyways, great AAR dude. Like kepler I just caught up and its been an enjoyable read. I hope you unite Italy soon I'm getting so impatient lol. I would have most likely died out 30 years ago by having Austria wipe the floor with me :p, I don't know how you can stand not declaring war on Milan, even if it is the best choice.

I do believe that he was using an internet expression that indicates eating, as in Avindian eating up all those countries... thats my interpretation anyways

Anyways, great AAR dude. Like kepler I just caught up and its been an enjoyable read. I hope you unite Italy soon I'm getting so impatient lol. I would have most likely died out 30 years ago by having Austria wipe the floor with me :p, I don't know how you can stand not declaring war on Milan, even if it is the best choice.

Glad to have you aboard -- I agree with your interpretation of FinnishFish :) Part of the reason I went after the Ottoman Empire next was to keep myself from doing something stupid, like risking war with Austria over a couple of provinces.

Oops XD See how many thing you can learn from an AAR? OK, the let's just say PARMA is going to be soon part of Tuscany XP
As Avindian said, if he gets Lombardia as non-core and there are no ways to avoid the Formal Request, it's certainly better to wait a bit.

Crush the Turk...then the French...then the Austrians...then
well good luck with that

It will certainly take a lot of luck :D

Oops XD See how many thing you can learn from an AAR? OK, the let's just say PARMA is going to be soon part of Tuscany XP
As Avindian said, if he gets Lombardia as non-core and there are no ways to avoid the Formal Request, it's certainly better to wait a bit.

You're exactly right. Now, in my previous AAR as Novgorod --> Russia, I just laughed when they demanded my territory (Riga, in this case). I do not have this flexibility as Tuscany... yet.

I'm actually kind of disappointed with how long it's taking me to get anywhere near forming Italy; to properly reform the Roman Empire I need France, Spain, the British Isles, the Balkans, the Middle East, and North Africa. Sometimes I wish there were ways to acquire land without war; people just don't like being vassals, I guess. In a perfect world I'd leave Austria alone; my border, as was the Roman Empire's, will be the Danube, so if Austria had been nice enough to stay out of the Balkans and northern Italy, I'd have no quarrel. Oh well.

If I can get through the next couple of days, accomplishing everything I need to accomplish, I'll have an update for you guys Friday at the earliest.