• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rome hasn't been conquered? Please don't say it's that obvious...

Umm, the Papacy still exists. Regency Council?

Of course I have Rome! Nothing to do with the Regency Council.

The rule was incredibly obscure, and I dare say that my Tuscany would be one of the few countries that would ever experience this. Keep guessing!

Rome isn't in the HRE, so you can't move your capital there without leaving the HRE or adding Rome to the HRE?

We have a winner! Go ahead and PM your new character details, name, etc. to me.

Wait... YOU ARE IN THE DAMNED GERMAN EMPIRE?! :eek:

Being in the Damned German Empire is bad for your health! Please, leave :eek:

As soon as I've formed Italy, it will literally be the next thing I do.

Any tips from our distinguished readers on manufacturing CBs in DW? I need Lombardy to form Italy, and I want to keep Austria out of it. Warnings and guarantees have thus far borne no fruit.

Any tips from our distinguished readers on manufacturing CBs in DW? I need Lombardy to form Italy, and I want to keep Austria out of it. Warnings and guarantees have thus far borne no fruit.

My favorite thing to do was always to get a royal marriage and go for "claim throne". Better yet though is to use a spy to Fabricate claims if you have the money and the spys o do it IF you do this and it works, you will get an "obscure documents" CB on Milan and be able to attack them without fear of getting Austria involved.

My favorite thing to do was always to get a royal marriage and go for "claim throne". Better yet though is to use a spy to Fabricate claims if you have the money and the spys o do it IF you do this and it works, you will get an "obscure documents" CB on Milan and be able to attack them without fear of getting Austria involved.

I'm at low legitimacy right now because John I has a weak claim; I thought about Fabricate Claims, but I need the RM first. I guess I need to start sucking up to Milan :D

Ah, 'tis a specialty :D

Firstly, as you have tried, I will always suggest warnings and guarantees, however in your case that has not worked.

If you have the money, you can always try maufacturing claims via spies, but this is expensive and requires... well, spies :p

You could form alliances with nations around or opposed to your target; an alliance casus beli is a casus beli all the same!

Sphere countries around your target; this will make anydiplomatic action your target makes a potential reason for war!

If all else fails, the afformentioned claim throne CB is still on the table, but you have stated it's not. i'd need more context to think of new, less generic ways of generating CB's.

Perhaps you could improve relations with the Pope (come on, don't tell me that you still hold a grudge about what one of his precedensors said about your great gradfather :p) and become the papal controler. Then - excomunicate an ally to Milan and time for war :D

I am playing in IN, however - so there might be some differences...

I'm at low legitimacy right now because John I has a weak claim; I thought about Fabricate Claims, but I need the RM first. I guess I need to start sucking up to Milan :D

You actually do not need a royal marriage to fabricate claims. It is a spy mission that will give you a CB on Milan, unless they changed the requirements in DW. I used it a lot in HTTT. One of the most useful spy actions and one of the most useful things about being a monarchy. It does require 100 ducats IIRC

Ah, 'tis a specialty :D

Firstly, as you have tried, I will always suggest warnings and guarantees, however in your case that has not worked.

If you have the money, you can always try maufacturing claims via spies, but this is expensive and requires... well, spies :p

You could form alliances with nations around or opposed to your target; an alliance casus beli is a casus beli all the same!

Sphere countries around your target; this will make anydiplomatic action your target makes a potential reason for war!

If all else fails, the afformentioned claim throne CB is still on the table, but you have stated it's not. i'd need more context to think of new, less generic ways of generating CB's.

The only nearby country is Austria; somehow I think they would object quite strongly to being sphered :D

Perhaps you could improve relations with the Pope (come on, don't tell me that you still hold a grudge about what one of his precedensors said about your great gradfather :p) and become the papal controler. Then - excomunicate an ally to Milan and time for war :D

I am playing in IN, however - so there might be some differences...

It's a whole lot more complicated to become Papal Controller in DW; a lot depends on how big you are (and my infamy doesn't help :().

You actually do not need a royal marriage to fabricate claims. It is a spy mission that will give you a CB on Milan, unless they changed the requirements in DW. I used it a lot in HTTT. One of the most useful spy actions and one of the most useful things about being a monarchy. It does require 100 ducats IIRC

You do in DW -- I think. I've got loads of cash (all that money saved up for not being able to move the capital).

I'm going to update my Ukrainian AAR now; next will be this one. Could be tonight, but don't bet on it.

Chapter 13: A pox on you, Sweden!

2 March 1484, the Regency Council Chamber

Sextus Porcius Cato, Regent for the 5 year old John I, carefully studied the list of nobility he had asked his new Chancellor, Agrippa Tullius Cicero, to prepare.

John I, Emperor of Tuscany
Sextus Porcius Cato, Imperial Regent, Duke of Siena and Pisa
Marcus Tullius Cicero, Duke of Romagna
Agrippa Tullius Cicero, Duke of Ancona and Imperial Chancellor
Bartolomeo del Moro, Duke of Sicily (including the island of Malta)
Publius Porcius Cato, Duke of Rome and Naples
Lucius Graecus, Duke of Constantinople

Bonventura Bizelli, Court Philosopher and Count of the Empire
Andreas Germanicus, Commandant, Count, and Marshal of the Empire
Cosimo Bartolini, Master of the Imperial Mint, Count of the Empire
General Cosimo Rospiglioni
General Francesco Stefano Pontelli

He nodded with satisfaction. It had taken six different tries to get it correct, as Agrippa was not totally focused on his work, but nonetheless, it was finally done. Privately, he was concerned about his Chancellor's father -- he was getting to be quite elderly, and while he was still hale and hearty, death could come at any time to a man of his age. The Cicero line was in absolutely no danger of dying out -- Agrippa had four legitimate children, and who knew how many bastards -- but he still asked Marcus for advice from time to time. He was as sharp as ever, and a valuable asset to the Empire.

Next, the Regent took a quick scan through the diplomatic briefings since he had become Regent. A new country, Ukraine, had formed from the lands of the Southern Rus and had defeated Hungary in a war. Other than that, events were quiet. He started to pick up his next sheaf documents when the herald announced a visitor. In stepped a very tall Scandinavian fellow.

"Good afternoon, sir. Could I assist you?"

"Regent Cato, my name is Axel Gathenhielm III. I have come carrying a message from the King of Sweden."

chapter13march1484.jpg

Sextus briefly examined the list of potential enemies. None were particularly threatening, and he had no wish to annoy a long time friend of the Empire. He signed the request, then paused for a moment to consider the foreigner.

"I must admit, Lord Gathenhielm, your name strikes me as familiar."

Axel smiled. "My grandfather was the Imperial Master of the Mint for many years under Maso I; I remember hearing such wonderful stories of the Empire of Tuscany!"

Sextus nodded curtly. "That would explain it. A brilliant man, your grandfather. If there is nothing else, I must prepare our soldiers."

"There is one thing, Regent. I would like to offer my services to your Empire, in honor of my grandfather's memory. I, too, have studied economics for many years."

Sextus grinned ruefully. "My Lord, to be blunt with you, our Master of Mint has been something of a luxury we allow ourselves. We have zero inflation and can mint money with almost no problem thanks to our National Bank. I fear I have no position to offer you; perhaps it is even time for Master of the Mint Bartolini to retire."

"Regent, I would nonetheless request permission to settle in your lands, at least for a time, and if you find you have need of me I would be happy to assist."

Sextus shrugged. "Your request is granted, Lord Gathenhielm. As a courtesy to your lineage, I shall reinstate the patent of nobility that made your grandfather a Count in the Empire; forgive me, I do not know if you held any such patent in your own realm."

The new Count shook his head. "It is now my turn to be blunt, Regent Cato. The Gathenhielms are tolerated but not entirely welcome in Sweden, in large part because my grandfather 'abandoned' Sweden. He forfeited his Swedish patent of nobility many years ago."

Sextus nodded one final time, then indicated the office of the Chancellor, who could assist him in finding temporary quarters until such time as Count Gathenhielm could secure his own.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 April 1484, the Ducal Palace at Constantinople

Lucius Graecus was speaking to the General of the First Legion, Cosimo Rospiglioni, when an arrow flew past his ear. Enraged, he turned to look for the archer, but could only see a cloud of dust as the horse galloped away. The General pulled the arrow out of the nearby door and read the message attached.

Infidel,

I am extending you a rare opportunity. By the Grace of the Sultan, he will allow you and your fellow blasphemers free passage if you agree to surrender your city to her rightful owner, the Sublime Porte of the Ottoman Empire. I cannot be held responsible should you fail to comply.

The True Ruler of Constantinople​

chapter13april1484.jpg

Lucius fumed, while the General outright screamed. Neither had the imperium and could not declare war; the Sultan could not fail to know that, so this was mere taunting. Let him scream of jihad all he wished; unless the Ottomans wished to formally declare war on the Empire of Tuscany, and risk bringing down all of Christendom, this was nothing more than a blatant and crude provocation.

Satisfied, he returned to discussing the logistics of the transport of the First Legion to Morea; he'd received the order from Regent Cato earlier that day. The Classis I -- there were plans to call it 'Byzantia' -- had easily defeated the navy of Morea and the soldiers of the First Legion were to invade the Greek city-state.

Although there was little chance of any major benefit to Tuscany, still, it was worth at least going through the motions of assisting Sweden.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27 July 1484, the office of the Imperial Chancellor

Agrippa Tullius Cicero groaned at the mountain of paperwork in front of him. The Regent might be some kind of machine, but Agrippa needed to relax from time to time, and he hadn't seen his latest girl in almost two days! It was enough to drive a man mad.

Agrippa was painfully aware that he had not been chosen as Chancellor for his sterling reputation as a diplomat; rather, he had been chosen as Chancellor because nobody else was considered loyal enough. Agrippa had written his father, begging him to use his influence to get Agrippa another post, but to no avail. That German kid looked like he was chomping at the bit for more responsibility. Let him have it! The beer-swiller would probably love the endless and tedious boredom.

He missed his children. Well, not really, they were annoying little brats, but at least he could occasionally have fun when he was around them. He could never remember their names -- that was women's work, in his view -- but they were a distraction that he could use right about now.

Nothing very exciting had happened recently. A small rebellion in Calabria was quickly put down by the Legio II 'Sicilia' and the Legio I 'Imperator' quickly and efficiently defeated the Morean army and captured the province. Sweden then bargained this away for 12 ducats, which hardly seemed fair, since not one coin went to Tuscany.

Agrippa was dreading his most recent assignment more than normal. He had to prepare a detailed report on the Ottoman Empire. The Regent took threats seriously, even impotent ones, but even a military idiot like Agrippa knew that the Ottomans were too strong for the Tuscan Empire. The Turk had 10,000 more soldiers and 43 ships. While Tuscany had five Carracks to the Turks' four, the Turks had twice as many galleys. That didn't even count their allies! A war with the Ottoman Empire was simply foolish right now; perhaps later on, but not now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 September 1484, Constantinople

The Regent of the Empire, with small John I being carried on a litter, was in the former capital of the Eastern Roman Empire for the first time in a long while. Nevertheless, the opening of Constantinople to trade was an important moment for the Empire of Tuscany.

chapter13september1484.jpg

It had cost half the Imperial treasury, but the trade income that would soon flow into the coffers would easily pay for itself. The Regent formally dispatched five Tuscan merchants into the new Center of Trade, and left orders that, in perpetuity, no less than five merchants should ever be present of Tuscan descent.

The suggestion had come from Count Ganthelhiem, when he had stopped by for a visit; perhaps he could be useful after all! An idea struck him almost immediately, which would solve two problems in one neat solution. He immediately grabbed a quill and began to write.

By order of the Imperial Regent,

Effectively immediately, the post of Imperial Chancellor is no more. The duties shall be taken up in two new offices. The first new office, that of Chairman of the Imperial Council, shall handle day-to-day administrative tasks and be responsible for all domestic affairs. The first Chairman of the Imperial Council shall be Count Axel Gathenhielm, pending a loyalty oath and renunciation of his Swedish citizenship. The second office, Minister of Foreign Affairs, shall be filled by the current Chancellor, Agrippa Tullius Cicero, Duke of Ancona. Both offices shall be temporary, unless approved by the Emperor upon the age of majority.

Regent of the Empire of Tuscany
Sextus Porcius Cato, Duke of Siena and Pisa​
8 December 1484, the office of the Marshal of the Empire

Andreas Germanicus was extremely irritated by the constant suggestions and petitions he received from nobles who didn't know a halberd from a helmet. Many apparently thought him to be a fool, since he was not of Tuscan birth. His decision, supported by Regent Cato, to increase the Quality and therefore the Discipline of the Imperial Legions was met with derision and, in some cases, instability.

He could not help but notice that many were the same idiot Barons that had nearly lost the Great Italian War, until former Marshal Publius Porcius Cato had made some radical new changes. They tolerated Cato, as the son of a former hero and a noble in his own right; Andreas was a Count, but far too many Barons simply considered that an honorary title.

At least the Legions had improved markedly since his new drill program had been enacted. A Tuscan legion could easily handle being outnumbered 1.5:1, in his view, and with further training could perhaps one day reach 2 or even 3:1. Generals Rospiglioni and Pontelli praised him constantly, and even Duke Graecus in Constantinople gave him words of encouragement.

Why didn't these morons listen, then? Perhaps only a Duke would command their respect. If he kept performing, surely he would be recognized by the Emperor or even Regent Cato someday. His son, at least, was born on Tuscan soil. Young Gaius Drusus Germanicus, named after the former Roman general and Consul, was already being trained by his father and the finest tutors money could buy -- he must have a better life than Andreas, if he could help it.
23 July 1485, the Regency Council Chamber

What a pointless war, Sextus couldn't help but think to himself. For the most part, the Legions had been busier with rebellions -- one sprung up in Cremona, but the Legio III 'Butterius' was already in position -- than with the war. A Pommeranian invasion force was quickly wiped out, once the First Classis destroyed the transports that delivered the German soldiers.

The King of Sweden, alliance leader, had offered no compensation to Tuscany at all for the lost lives of her soldiers. Fed up with Swedish stupidity, when the King of Denmark offered a white peace, Sextus gladly signed it. An early peace feeler had been rejected, but not this one. He motioned for Minister Cicero to approach, then handed him the signed peace treaty and asked him to deliver it personally to the King of Denmark. Surprisingly, there wasn't even a grumble from the usually irritable Agrippa. In fact, he seemed to relish his new role, now that he was mostly involved in soliciting royal marriages, a skill that he already possessed. The taciturn but reliable Chairman Gathenhielm was also an excellent choice; he quickly learned the basic ins-and-outs of bureaucratic paperwork and continued to offer superb suggestions for economic policy.

Sextus also wrote a short dispatch to the King of Sweden.

Your Majesty,

Although we wish you the very best of success in your Danish endeavors, we can no longer actively support your efforts, as the people of Tuscany are weary and wish for peace. I have enclosed a copy of our treaty with Denmark.

Your faithful ally,
Sextus Porcius Cato, Regent for Emperor John I of Tuscany​
13 April 1486, office of the Chairman of the Imperial Council

Axel was in a bit of a dilemma. A Baron in Cremona had been consistently demanding higher and higher rents from his peasants, and the local priest had sent along a petition, signed (or at least marked) by over five hundred names.

chapter13april1486.jpg

Authorizing greater autonomy for the Barons was downright foolish, in the Chairman's eyes. The nobles of Tuscany were living proof that nobility did not make one noble. Many were so concerned with their private intrigues that they neglected the welfare of their own subjects, a very dangerous mistake.

On the other hand, granting the petition and codifying more rights for peasants could encourage peasants to seek even further rights. As stupid as some of the Barons were, allowing a serious challenge to the established order could be catastrophic.

He carefully weighed the alternatives. He knew that both would destabilize the Empire -- either the peasants would revel in their new freedom or they would revolt against the tightening controls.

Provisionally, he put a tick on the petition, and wrote: "Recommendation for approval of this petition; perhaps discipline the Baron in question." He sealed it with the Chairman's seal, then asked a runner to deliver it to Regent Cato.
25 March 1487, a meeting room in the Imperial Palace

Marshal Germanicus shook hands with Chairman Gathenhielm. As two prominent foreigners in an increasingly xenophobic Empire, they spent considerable time together, understanding that they ought to support one another. It was not customary to shake hands in public in the Empire of Tuscany; salutes were preferred for military officials, while a simple bow was the proper greeting for nobles. However, this was, to a certain extent, a further showing of solidarity between the German and the Swede.

"Axel, thank you for meeting me."

"Of course, Andreas, what can I help you with?"

"Well, my friend, the Regent has accomplished a number of tasks very quickly. After he decided to abandon the mission to ask Cologne to vote for us, he asked Agrippa to solicit a marriage with a Parman noble -- which he did. Briefly, he asked me to consider designing plans to defeat the Ottoman Empire, which was at war with Wallachia, but he quickly changed his mind after he got notice of a peace treaty. Very strange -- why would he charge with me a plan for declaring war when we cannot do so without imperium?"

"An odd situation, to be sure, Andreas, but we must serve the Empire."

"Of course. In any event, we are now to protect against Ottoman attack, a much more sensible goal in my opinion, and I am here to request authorization for an additional legion."

"I cannot give you that much; I can guarantee you 8000 men, but we would pay extra maintenance if we tried to raise a full legion."

The Marshal considered this. "I will accept the 8000 men; I am certain the Regent will make an exception in this case, and give them the appropriate legionary banners and uniforms."

Axel nodded, then wrote him an order for the requested funds, to be delivered to the Master of the Mint. "Honestly, poor Bartolini has a sinecure at this point. Who needs to manipulate inflation rates when you have no inflation?"

Both men chuckled, shook hands again briefly, then departed.
1 April 1487, the Chambers of the Regency Council

Sextus had had to call this meeting quite abruptly. Instead of calling the full council, the only present were Marshal Germanicus and Chairman of the Council Gathenhielm.

"Gentlemen, thank you both for your punctuality. It would seem your former liege lord, Chairman Gathenhielm, is asking for Tuscan support again."

chapter13august1487.jpg

"What do you think, Marshal?"

Andreas Germanicus briefly considered the request, and gave a firm nod. "Regent Cato, there is almost no risk here. Neither has a very strong navy, and both are quite far away. I believe we can safely answer this call; perhaps it will benefit us in the long run."

"Chairman?"

Axel rose. "I agree with the Marshal. I do not seriously think that the King of Sweden intends much from us, but he would appreciate the courtesy, and it could pay diplomatic dividends in the future."

Sextus nodded. "I concur. Marshal, place the legions on alert, but I do not expect they shall be called into action. I shall send my response to Sweden as soon as possible."
16 December, 1488, the palace at Constantinople

At the extreme end of the Empire of Tuscany, Duke Lucius Graecus was, in many ways, able to rule as he saw fit with no interference. The price was near ignorance of affairs back in Italy, which was not a pressing concern in any event.

Lucius wheeled his crude wheeled-chair to the balcony overlooking the Sea of Marmara. His son was growing up nicely, he thought, and would be a fine successor some day. Young Tiberius often preferred to be alone, and did not share his father's passion for military affairs, but was incredibly bright and a talented musician with the lute. He read at least a book a day, and already spoke no less than seven languages: Latin, Greek, French, Arabic, Italian, and little English and Russian.

A temporary set back in military affairs -- technology became slightly more expensive as a result of complacency -- was easily rectified. As he began to doze off, his son burst into the room. "Father! There is a large mob at the gate!"

Lucius immediately was fully awake, and again cursed his injury, as he often did in moments of crisis. "Send for my second-in-command, Tiberius, and be hasty!"

The tall, lean Greek that entered -- he went by Demosthenes, although nobody knew his actual name, or if he was even really Greek -- saluted the Duke. "Duke Graecus, I know of this rebel leader. He is extremely charismatic, and I fear he has quite a sizable army."

Lucius scoffed. "Demosthenes, what kind of rabble could he possibly command?"

"My lord Duke, my informants tell me has 34 regiments at his disposal."

Lucius nearly fell out of his chair. "34,000 swords?! That's just 1000 shy of the whole damned Imperial Army! What are they asking for?"

Demosthenes replied "30 ducats from the Imperial Treasury, but negotiations with rebels would have a catastrophic effect on the national economy, albeit for a short time."

Lucius sighed, but nodded grimly. "We must negotiate. Go under flag of truce and give them their blood money. Tiberius, prepare a letter for Regent Cato; he will not be pleased."
17 October 1489, the camp of Legio I 'Imperator'

Peace with the Teutonic Order had come quickly, as predicted, with absolutely no bloodshed by Tuscany. General Rospiglioni was beginning to grow concerned; it was well-known that only those Generals that earned victories and conquered territory could become Dukes, like Bartolomeo del Moro of Sicily. While Cosimo had indeed done well, and added Constantinople to the Empire, he unfortunately did not get the Duchy, as he was not a native and did not know Greek.

Still, after the massive battle he had just won, he deserved to be Emperor! A Greek rebellion of 17,000 men -- nearly twice as many as he had -- sprung up earlier that month. He had defeated the rebellion, killing 8000 of the rebels and capturing the rest, with less than 3000 casualties to his own men.

Service to the Empire was not only his pleasure, but his duty, yet he did not truly feel appreciated. Still, it was improper to actively seek glory, no matter how deserved.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15 October 1491, the office of the Minister of Foreign Affairs

Agrippa Tullius Cicero held his head in one hand. He'd been ordered to start a war with Milan, but make it appear defensive. Warning, guarantees to local countries, all had failed. He had a couple of more devious options -- if he could just get them to agree to a Royal Marriage. He was mad because he was a genius at diplomatic affairs, particularly of the illicit variety, yet not a single person had answered his requests.

1490 had not been a great year. Bad uniforms caused some morale loss. A comet was sighted, causing widespread panic among the peasants. Even production technology was questioned and discarded, lest even more panic occur. To make matters even worse, General Rospiglioni, despairing of ever truly earning the recognition he felt he deserved, hung himself.

That was when the Chairman, Axel Gathenhielm, knocked on the door, and hand-delivered a message from the King of Sweden.

chapter13october1491.jpg

Notification of war

Agrippa all of sudden flashed a huge smile. "So he's calling us into the war, right?"

Axel looked puzzled, "Foreign Minister, are you certain you know the standard forms for diplomacy? This is an invitation to join them, but on our own terms; not in alliance with them."

Agrippa looked stunned. "So close. I was so close." He began weeping. Axel simply clucked his tongue and left. There would always be more opportunities, why get so worked up?
4 August 1495, the Imperial Throne Room

The last few years had passed as if in a blur. Milan settled on a white peace with Sweden, ending that opportunity. General Francesco Stefano Pontelli died of heart failure. Cosimo Bartolini was recognized around the world as a fine Master of Mint, netting some fine prestige, but no other benefit, as inflation remained zero. Yet Italy, largely, remained quiet.

Some new buildings were constructed; Chairman of the Imperial Council Axel Gathenhielm authorized five Constables and three Workshops, and a March in Florence to ensure a strong defense of the capital. A new legion was finally approved, and the Legio V 'Graecia' had a huge parade early in 1492.

There were some losses as well. Marcus Tullius Cicero, the Duke of Romagna and multi-time Chancellor, passed away in his sleep in 1494. His son, Agrippa, inherited the Duchy, making him one of the most powerful men in the Empire as well as Foreign Minister. Lucius Graecus also died in 1494 as a result of his leg injuries. Tiberius Graecus was appointed the new Duke, and Thrace's merchant district continued to flourish. The Dowager Empress Syracusa died in 1493; she and Julius I had never truly gotten along, and her inability to bear him a second son made them divorced in all but fact. She was given a small, appropriate ceremony, but many said history would forget her altogether.

But on this day, finally, Tuscany had an Emperor again. John I was skilled in military and diplomatic affairs, but lacked his father's knack for administration. Before he could make his opening speech, however, there was quite a shock waiting for him -- the discovery of a long-lost cousin! Nobody knew exactly how he was related to the Datti family -- young Rudolfo was just eight, after all -- but the Emperor proclaimed him his heir, until he could find a suitable wife. The surprise completely baffled everybody, so much so that John I had to delay his speech.

In his mind, that was fine. It gave him more time to reflect on his announcements, which was important. He planned to make some drastic changes, for the good of the Empire, and it would not do to have a distraction like a mysterious heir.

chapter13august1495.jpg

That was a long, boring regency, but we made it through. I've got some gameplay ahead, so no update for a day or two.

How dare they! The Ottomans will rue the day when they decided to insult Tuscany! I propose that when you finally crush them for the last time and take their last city to offer a letter of annexation worded like this:

Originally posted by Sultan of the Ottoman Empire Emperor of Tuscany

Infidel,

I am extending you a rare opportunity. By the Grace of the Sultan Emperor, he will allow you and your fellow blasphemers free passage if you agree to surrender your city to her rightful owner, the Sublime Porte of the Ottoman Empire Roman Empire. I cannot be held responsible should you fail to comply.

The True Ruler of Constantinople and Adrianopolis as well

How dare they! The Ottomans will rue the day when they decided to insult Tuscany! I propose that when you finally crush them for the last time and take their last city to offer a letter of annexation worded like this:

I shall have to remember that :D

You should become a respublica.

I've briefly considered it, but unless it makes sense from a storyline perspective, I think I will stay an Empire.

What a dissapointingly mediocre ruler after such a long regncy; perhaps when his heir reaches a suitible age, there will be a nice battle for him to be slain in :p

The current heir isn't much better :(

A shame that the CB came a little too late.

It drove me nuts. I was practically in tears, screaming for Sweden to call me into the war.

Nevertheless, I'm sure Tuscany will continue to eagerly await the opportunity to expand.

Indeed it shall!

One thing I forgot to mention -- my newest mission, which is to Conquer Burgas from the Ottomans in exchange for a core on said land. This is a long term goal, unless the Ottomans get embroiled in a war. My main short term goal is to conjure a way of getting Lombardia. A personal union would be peachy.

One thing I forgot to mention -- my newest mission, which is to Conquer Burgas from the Ottomans in exchange for a core on said land. This is a long term goal, unless the Ottomans get embroiled in a war. My main short term goal is to conjure a way of getting Lombardia. A personal union would be peachy.

What are your relations to Milan. You should get it up to 200 and get the royal marriage. If they have no heir or one with a weak claim, go for the Claim throne CB. It will reduce the infamy from annexation down to .8. If not, go for the obscure documents CB. Insult them down till you no longer get the great relations stabiity hit. This should give you a CB. Obscure documents is one of the easiest CB's to get, even if the benefits it offers are nothing spectacular.