• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 12: Two funerals and a new conquest​

26 March 1481, the Imperial Throne Room

The tiny infant looked with interest at the world around him. People seemed very sad and were crying. Why were they so sad? Gian Gastone Datti, Prince of the Empire of Tuscany and Duke of Rome, looked puzzled. All he knew was that if people were crying, they weren't paying attention to him, so he started to cry.

Sextus Porcius Cato, Duke of Siena and Pisa and Chancellor of the Empire, picked up the child. How did one explain to a mere babe what had happened? The lad would probably never know his father. When the infant all of sudden stopped crying and clapped his hands, the room went deadly silent.

Standing in the door way, trembling and shaking but very much alive, was Emperor Julius I!

"Sextus, might I ask what's going on?"

The Chancellor was absolutely speechless. He made a mental note to fire the doctor; clearly he was a complete idiot and should not have been practicing medicine.

The Emperor's grin, although very weak, told everybody present the story.

"Your Imperial Majesty, what on earth happened? The doctor swore to us you were dead!"

The Emperor coughed, hiding the blood in his sputum. "Sextus, my friends, while I am certainly not well, I am assuredly firmly among the living. I fell and struck my head against the Imperial throne -- it is harder and harder to stand these days -- and was unconscious. The doctor -- who has already left Florence, and dare I say the country -- was in the pay of the Damned German Emperor; he hoped that through my death, the Emperor of Austria might take advantage, perhaps eliminating Tuscany altogether."

At the words "Damned German Emperor", the Marshal of the Empire, Andreas Germanicus, twitched a little, but kept silent. He certainly had no love for Austria, but the word "German" being bitten off like some kind of poison almost too much for him. He, his wife, and his children already had a far better life than they ever did in Mecklenburg. He was a Marshal and a Military Governor, and just over the age of 28. His young daughter and newborn son lived comfortably, while his wife was free to shop when and where she chose. He had much to be grateful for, and yet, was still tortured by the way these people viewed his kin. It was deeply troubling.

The Emperor took no notice of his Marshal; he continued spouting platitudes until most of the court had left; then he collapsed in his seat. He urgently waved over the brothers Cato.

"Sextus, Publius, I fear that while my heart still beats as of now, it shan't do so for much longer. I know of your arrangement -- I am pleased that you agreed to become Duke of Naples as well Duke of Malta, Publius. It cannot have been an easy decision."

Publius bowed to the Emperor; it was all he could do. His twin sons, Marcus and Marius, just barely ten years of age, were delighted at the prospect of a newer, bigger home, with more children to play with and more land to ride their horses on. Publius saw things a bit differently. He knew a new title meant more responsibility; worse, since Sextus still had no children, there was a good chance he would get yet more titles and lands before he himself passed on.

The Emperor was perhaps reading Publius's mind. "My friend, I know you feel you cannot administer your lands as effectively as you ought, but nothing could be further from the truth. I did not choose you to be Marshal because you are your father's son; rather, I chose you because you were qualified. You are a superb leader. I cannot think of a better man to rule the still rebellious Neapolitans than you."

Publius bowed again, and begged permission to leave. After granting it, Julius turned to Sextus. "Chancellor, you too are to be congratulated. This recent experience has shown that I may need a regent -- should I survive this disease, I am under no illusions that I will survive long enough for my infant son to inherit the throne. You are that regent. Effective immediately, you are the new Duke of Rome. When you have a moment, you may want to investigate your new lands -- I have heard rumors that my son loved women almost as much as he did wine. There could be more little Dattis running around. Oh, and do send for Cicero -- I would speak with him as well, regarding his son."

Sextus nodded, and started walking back to his office. He never questioned his duties, but he was beginning to think that he too, could have a little too much to worry about.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 October 1481, Calabria, the former Kingdom of Naples

The coins Publius had gotten from the Imperial Treasury jingled in his pocket. Word was fast spreading of a rebellion gathering in Calabria -- some nobles were not entirely pleased with losing their sovereignty. He'd requested some funds to hire a new General, who would command the First Legion and march to Calabria as quickly as possible.

chapter12october1481.jpg

He already had the perfect man in mind. When he was Colonel of the First Legion himself, a young lad had astounded everybody with his feats of strength. Cosimo Rospigliosi proved in the heat of battle that his strongest muscle was his heart, however, as he single handedly held off a wave of Milanese soldiers to allow for a retreat in the Great Italian War. As Marshal, Cato assigned Cosimo as one of the regimental colonels, and his legend continued to grow. Cosimo would share any hardship with his men, fight any battle, and showed so much personal courage that none of his soldiers dared to show any less. After the brief war of Milanese Aggression over Parma, Cosimo asked to be released from his duties to take care of his mother.

Publius was fortunate that Cosimo happened to live in Calabria; he thought the warmer climate might do his mother good. He knocked on the door, and was almost instantly engulfed by the massive Cosimo.

"Marshal! A pleasure to see you as always. What brings you here?"

Publius explained, briefly, the rumors that had been flying. Cosimo turned red with rage; his men often called him "Cosimo Ursus" or Cosimo the Bear for his slow but awesome temper. "Why do these people not see the benefits of the Empire? I would be happy to accept your offer, Marshal, if you promise to look after my mother from time to time."

Publius smiled to himself, out of sight of Cosimo, then saluted the new General, provided him his commission, and handed him the gold.

This rebellion stood no chance against the Bear.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
23 July 1482, the Marshal's office

Andreas Germanicus had been very busy the past six months. He'd gone, as an observer, to France during the Franco-Austrian War. The results were stunning. Austria overwhelmed France almost without thought. Normandy and Orleans declared independence with Austria's backing, and Alencon, a small French country, was relieved of their burdensome vassalage to France. Andreas returned with a healthy respect for Austrian numbers -- they could call on hundreds of thousands of men as Holy Roman Emperor.

With Julius I's official blessing, he'd begun raising a fourth legion, the Legio IV 'Neapolis'. Composed of six infantry regiments and three cavalry regiments, it was armed with the latest weapons technology. It was immediately sent to Siena. Until it was officially 'core' territory, there was always a chance for rebellion, and just the presence of the troops would ease the provincial governor's mind.

Andreas sighed as he signed the last order. He'd been out of the field for a few years now, and it was beginning to look like he might never become a General. Generals made less than Marshals, true, and Marshal was a more respected position, but all of this paperwork did not seem fitting for a fighting man like himself. More importantly, only Generals became Dukes, or relatives of Generals, it seemed. Like the old Roman Empire, the New Roman Empire seemed to prize martial skill over all else, a sentiment he certainly agreed with.

Perhaps he would appeal to the Emperor personally, Andreas mused. Although he still wasn't feeling well, Julius I still held court nearly every day and addressed the problems of his people personally whenever possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14 October 1482, the Imperial War Room

Seated around the large oaken table were the key military men in the Empire. General Cosimo Rospigliosi, Chancellor Sextus Porcius Cato, Marshal Andreas Germanicus, and the Emperor of Tuscany, Julius I. A special guest was also seated, although in his own seat a little farther from the table. Lucius Graecus had no official rank other than Count, which he inherited from his father, but apart from being a brilliant military genius in his own right, he had personal and intimate knowledge of the Emperor's next target.

chapter12october1482.jpg

Lucius stretched as best he could, but it was difficult for a man with no legs. He lost both of his legs in an accident after the Great Italian War; they were crushed under the weight of his horse, after he fell off, and only amputation saved his life. He was excited by the opportunity, probably more than any other man at the table. His father Constantine was ex-Chancellor of the Empire and had died in office. The thought of uniting the old and new Roman Empires was almost too much to bear; he had personally agitated for annexation earlier, but the opportunity had not been there.

Julius I cleared his throat and began the meeting. "Gentlemen, we have a unique opportunity to expand outside of the meddlesome interest of the Damned Ger -- er, Austrian Empire" -- this last in deference to the Marshal of the Empire -- "and acquire more ancestral lands. Constantinople and Rome under one flag again would truly be a fitting legacy to leave to my son. What are your thoughts?"

Sextus spoke first. "Emperor, the Byzantines have no army and no friends. It will greatly upset the people, however, since they have long considered the Greeks our friends. It may prove unpopular, but I think, given the proper funding, I can keep them under control." Andreas Germanicus rose next, to give a report on the strategic situation.

"Your Imperial Majesty, this should be no problem at all. The Classis I should easily be able to hold one Legion, and one Legion is all it will take to take Thrace and Constantinople. I have every confidence in General Rospigliosi's ability to take the city very quickly." The General simply nodded.

The last speaker was Lucius himself. "Gentlemen, I agree with your assessments. I know my homeland well, and I know you will be greeted as liberators, or you ought to be. There is only one possible concern, in my view -- the Turk. The Ottoman Empire is not to be trifled with; it has a mighty army and navy, and if Thrace is attacked, Austria cannot help us. We will be on our own in any fight of this magnitude; I want to make sure you understand the risks.

Also, I must insist that I accompany the General. I do not expect to fight in my condition, but I know the ground very well, and more importantly, I can act as a liaison to the local populace. That is all I ask."

The Emperor hesitated for a fraction of a second, then nodded once. It was settled; a declaration of war would be delivered as soon as practical, and the First Legion would embark on the fleet at once.
30 December 1482, the Camp of the First Legion outside Constantinople

Lucius Graecus was thrilled to be home, but the siege was progressing very slowly. An aide had handed around a note a few minutes ago, looking worried that Wallachia had honored the alliance with Byzantium. Lucius just chuckled -- they were landlocked, and he very much doubted the Turk would give any Christian free passage through his lands.

He stopped laughing, as he saw the most recent assault fail. Constantinople had always been a tough nut to crack, but the walls seemed impenetrable. The city elders of Constantinople had refused to speak with a "turncoat" like Lucius. The General was incredibly impressive; he was no military genius, but damned he was huge. The men adored him and followed his every command with such alacrity that Lucius was a little jealous. He briefly considered sending a request for more men, but he decided against it.

The last thing on anybody's mind was Constantinople, however.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17 February 1483, the Imperial Throne Room

It wasn't a shock this time; the doctors had given Julius I two weeks to live after his "revival" from the dead; he'd lived another two years, but almost constantly in pain. His last communication with anybody was with his Chancellor, who needed him to initial a requisition for treasury funds to assist the Imperial Bank.

chapter12january1483.jpg

That was a few weeks ago; that same night, Julius fell into a deep sleep and did not awaken the next day. The very best doctors (after being carefully scrutinized, of course) had no answer. With each passing day, his breathing was more labored, and he showed no signs of waking up. Finally, he simply stopped breathing.

Sextus called the first meeting of the Regency Council together, a mere four hours after the Emperor died. Although his passing was sad, it was not wholly unexpected, and there was still a war going on.

"Gentlemen, before we bury our Emperor, we must end this fight with Byzantium. I have every assurance from General Rospiglioni that Constantinople will fall any day now. Until then, we must consider the possibility of sending more troops. I know this is a risky move, but I would like to place the Second Legion on alert for possible transport to Constantinople.

"As the Regent of the Empire, as you all know, I cannot begin wars, but I can end them, and the moment I have word that the city has surrendered, we will quickly and efficiently install our own administration. The Duke of Constantinople will be Lucius Graecus; I cannot think of a better choice.

"Andreas Germanicus has served brilliantly as Marshal of the Empire; I do not think any of us can question that. He will continue to serve in that role, but I am also appointing him to be temporary administrator of my lands in Pisa and Siena until the regency is over. I will need to be in Florence as often as possible, and I am certain that he will be an effective governor while I am away.

"My brother, Publius, has agreed to become Duke of Rome in addition to his already extensive lands in Naples. Malta has been returned to the Duchy of Sicily under Bartolomeo del Moro. I have respected his wishes and not named him to any public office, as much as he deserves one and the Empire needs him; I must ask you to do the same.

"Cosimo Bartolini and Bonaventura Bezzini will continue in their offices as Court Philosopher and Master of the Imperial Mint. However, we no longer need an active Master of the Imperial Mint; once John I has taken the throne, he will appoint a new Councillor. Cosimo Bartolini has already agreed to abdicate his position at that time, in exchange for the possibility of attaining a Duchy.

"Finally, Agrippa Tullius Cicero is our new Imperial Chancellor, effective immediately. His father will administer both Ancona and Romagna in his stead. Cremona will remain under direct Imperial supervision. General Rospiglioni will be Governor-General of the province upon his return.

"I'd like to thank you all for coming, and we will continue to meet as regularly as possible."

There was but one more step, a time honored tradition stretching back to Maso I and beyond.

Imperator est mortuus. Vivat Imperator!

The Emperor is dead. Long live the Emperor.

chapter12february1483.jpg

1 May 1483, the walls of Constantinople

Lucius Graecus was growing agitated. The city had lasted far too long. While a new General -- Francesco Stefano Pontelli -- had effortlessly dispersed the pitiful pretender to the throne, General Cosimo Rospiglioni had accomplished virtually nothing. Courage could not punch through walls, it seemed.

chapter12may1483.jpg

Although nobody admitted it openly, privately, the death of Julius I Magnus was actually a small blessing. The Pope lifted his Excommunication of the Empire, and more importantly, Siena became officially recognized as sovereign Tuscan territory. Marriage proposals to the toddler Emperor flew in almost seconds after the regency began; Mantua, Ferrara, Modena, and Morea all got positive responses and married prominent Tuscan nobles.

There was nothing to do though. The only solution was to keep plugging away at the walls; Constantinople did not have infinite food, after all, and therefore could not last forever.

The City would fall. It had to.
16 August 1483, the chambers of the Imperial Regency Council

For the first time since the death of the Emperor, Sextus Porcius Cato had a huge smile on his face. The note from now Duke Lucius Graecus was a welcome bit of news.

chapter12august1483.jpg

The city elders had capitulated, and the New Roman Empire now encompassed East and West. He immediately set Agrippa to drafting a proclamation to be distributed throughout Tuscany.

There was one more item that he had promised Julius I. One pressing item, that, for the immediate future, could not be achieved, but would be the cornerstone of the eventual new Roman Empire.

A new capital.

Rome.
I hope you all enjoyed this much delayed update :) I've got one on the regency that I'll probably do this weekend.

I think we will also have another little contest, since they seem to be popular :D As was the last, this one regards my idiocy. I initially thought that all I would have to do is be at peace, have enough stability, and the cash, to move the capital to Rome. What did I miss at the time? The first person to answer correctly can create a character that I'll try to work into the AAR.

Hmmmm... it would be cool if one of the emperors had 2 sons, and you would imitate the division between the East and West Empire... first you have to make the East one an "empire" and not OPM, though... ;)

And I think that you forgot that Rome has to be a core :p

You forgot that it has to be affected by a national focus?

Hmmmm... it would be cool if one of the emperors had 2 sons, and you would imitate the division between the East and West Empire... first you have to make the East one an "empire" and not OPM, though... ;)

And I think that you forgot that Rome has to be a core :p

You forgot that it has to be affected by a national focus?

Nope; it doesn't have to be a core and I do eventually make Rome the NF. Keep guessing!

It's a shame about the regency; what are your plans in the time between rulers?

My original plan was just to bank as much as possible for the doomed Rome-is-capital project :D I do get dragged into a couple of wars, but not the war I wanted to :mad:

I don't enjoy seeing Romaion getting annexed by Latin barbarians. ;)

Better than the Turks, I'd say :D

I've played through to the end of this regency; I'll start working on an update this weekend, most likely.

It wasn't of the same culture group as your main culture?

My next guess is...

You had to wait until you were no longer in regency?

Or maybe empires can't change their capitals?

Good update. I would take part, but I am not sure that having two characters at the same time would be in good taste. Hope my character gets that generalship and/or duchy he wants, but he is still young and their will plenty of opportunities for him.

My next guess is...

You had to wait until you were no longer in regency?

Or maybe empires can't change their capitals?

I'm guessing... no money?

Empires can't change capitals?

Just caught up, but I have no idea regarding Rome.

Not yet; I'll give you a hint thought -- Empires have something to do with it.

Good update. I would take part, but I am not sure that having two characters at the same time would be in good taste. Hope my character gets that generalship and/or duchy he wants, but he is still young and their will plenty of opportunities for him.

We shall have to see how events unfold; I thought very briefly about making him Duke of Constantinople, but Lucius is the natural choice for that.