• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Avindian

People's Commissar of the Navy
120 Badges
Jan 3, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Hello, and welcome to my latest AAR project!

One thing I've never done in any PI game is form Italy -- I came close with an EU 3 complete game with Milan, but got HttT the day it came out and my save (obviously) didn't work. So, I asked the readers of my Russian AAR to vote on an Italian country to choose -- in the end, it came down to Tuscany and Naples, and Tuscany won by a landslide, so that's why we're here. (If you'd like to read my Russian AAR, it's in my signature).

I'm playing with Divine Wind and the most recent beta (March 30, I believe). I've made a mini-mod, so to speak, for Tuscany. Right now, all it does is make Tuscany an Empire (instead of a Noble Republic), but I do plan to add missions and decisions. All settings will be on normal, except Lucky Nations off and I'm going to increase Land Province discovery to 150 years. I want colonization of the New World to be a good bit slower, since my goals will be hard enough as it is :D

House Rules for this AAR:

1) Tuscany will remain an Empire unless events in-game suggest a possibility to switch to another government (I'm being purposefully vague here -- toying with the thought of creating an uber-Empire style government where you get Imperialism too).

2) I cannot break the Infamy Limit. Ever.

3) I will not actively campaign or try to become Holy Roman Emperor -- if I do, I will not form the HRE.

4) I will only cancel missions if they are impossible -- if there's even a 1% chance I can pull it off, I will do my best to accomplish it.

5) Tuscany will always be Catholic, unless the Reformation breaks out in Tuscany (either one), or 50% of my provinces stop being Catholic.

6) No editing save files (unless it's deemed necessary, and I always put these to you, my audience), no cheating, no exploits of any kind. No rage-quitting.

Here are my goals for this AAR.

1) Form Italy. Test games suggest this should be possible by 1500, if everything goes well.
2) Re-create the Roman Empire. This would include, roughly speaking, France, England, Spain, North Africa, the Balkans, Asia Minor, and the Levant.
3) Dissolve the HRE (unless I become Emperor).
4) If I accomplish 2) and 3), colonize and expand to the New World.

The only goal I am confident I will accomplish is 1). As for the rest, well, we'll have to see!

I anticipate this being a 60/40 Narrative/Gameplay mix. I'll try to save all the gameplay stuff for the end of each update, so as not to wreck immersion. I'm going to let events dictate the size of each update, so some may be very large and others very small. I will have a "State of the Empire" style post every 50 years.

I will have a prologue (to explain how Tuscany became an Empire) and pre-pause moves/situations by the end of the day.

Readers, if you are a skilled modder, I am looking to create some specific decisions, foremost a decision to create the Novum Romanum Imperium (New Roman Empire), which would primarily give Tuscany cores on all lands that should be part of the Roman Empire. I am thinking the conditions would be owning Paris, Rome, Madrid, and London. This may involve a Tag Switch, color change, and flag change as well. I welcome any assistance with this.

Feedback, questions, comments, and criticism are all welcome and encouraged. I hope you enjoy my likely feeble attempts to recreate the Roman Empire!

EDIT: I don't remember how or why it happened, but the game is on Very Easy now, probably after the reload.

This AAR is semi-interactive (approved by Mr. Capiatlist)! From time to time, I hold contests of various sorts, and if you win, you get to create a character or name a legion! I'm in the process of compiling a list of all of the great characters I've received, and will post it here for new viewers.

List of characters created by posters:

Axel Gathenhielm (II), Constantine Graecus, Lan Zhu: Michaelangelo
Alexander O'Connor, Andreas Germanicus: History_Buff
Daoud Selim Iskander: Koniggratz
Karel van Dijk: swinkee
Constantijn de Ruyter, Lucius Vorenus: Sethanon
Jean-Louis Lafayette: age_of_empires
Jean-Baptiste de Neuchâtel: Vrael_1492

Last edited:
Table of Contents

Prologue

The House of degli Ablizzi

The reign of Emperor Saint Maso I
Opening moves
Chapter 1: 1399-1406
Chapter 2: 1406-1407

Regency: Regent Marcus Porcius Cato (the Elder)
Chapter 3: 1407-1418

The House of Datti

The reign of Emperor Leo I
Chapter 4: 1418-1423
Chapter 5: 1423-1430

Regency: Empress Lucia Porcia Cato
Chapter 6: 1430-1433

The reign of Emperor Julius I Magnus
Chapter 7: 1433-1449
State of the Empire, 1449
Chapter 8: 1450-1455
Chapter 9: 1455-1466
Chapter 10, part I: 1466-1469
Chapter 10, part II: 1469-1474
Chapter 11: 1474-1481
Chapter 12: 1481-1483

Regency: Regent Sextus Porcius Cato
Chapter 13: 1483-1495

The reign of Emperor John I
Chapter 14: 1495-1500
State of the Empire, 1500
Chapter 15: 1500-1502
Chapter 16: 1502-1504
Chapter 17: 1504-1523
Chapter 18: 1523-1527

The reign of Emperor Leo II
Chapter 19: 1527-1533

Regents: Johann David von Brecht and Andreas Germanicus
Chapter 20: 1533-1541

The reign of Emperor John II
Chapter 21: 1541-1544

The House of Farnese

The reign of Emperor Francis I
Chapter 22: 1544-1550
State of the Empire: 1550
Chapter 23: 1550-1555
Chapter 24: 1555-1577
Chapter 25: 1577-1588

The reign of Emperor Leo III
Chapter 26, part 1: 1588-1592
Chapter 26, part 2: 1592-1593
Chapter 27: 1593-1600
State of the Empire: 1600
Chapter 28, part 1: 1600-1602
Chapter 28, part 2: 1602-1604
Chapter 29: 1604-1611

Regent Drusus Germanicus
Chapter 30: 1611-1619

The reign of Emperor Alexander I
Chapter 31: 1619-1626
Chapter 32: 1626-1628

Regent Pietro Leopoldo Farnese
Chapter 33: 1628-1637

The reign of Emperor Francis II Magnus
Chapter 34: 1637-1644
Chapter 35: 1644-1650
State of the Empire: 1650
Chapter 36, part 1: 1650-1652
Chapter 36, part 2: 1652
Chapter 36, part 3: 1652-1653
Chapter 36, part 4: 1653-1654
Chapter 37: 1654-1659

The reign of Emperor Peter I
Chapter 38: 1659-1661
Chapter 39, part 1: 1661-1662
Chapter 39, part 2: 1662-1663
Chapter 40: 1663-1665
Chapter 41: 1665-1668
Chapter 42, part 1: 1669-1672
Chapter 42, part 2: 1672-1674
Chapter 43: 1674-1681
Chapter 44: 1681-1690
Chapter 45: 1690-1700
State of the Empire: 1700
Chapter 46: 1700
Chapter 47: 1700-1701

The reign of Emperor Francis III
Chapter 48: 1701-1705
Chapter 49: 1705-1712
Chapter 50: 1712-1713
Chapter 51: 1713-1715
Chapter 52: 1716-1718
Chapter 53: 1718-1731

Regents Antonio di Farnese and Constantijn de Ruyter
Chapter 54: 1731-1744

The reign of Emperor John III
Chapter 55, part 1: 1744-1746
Chapter 55, part 2: 1746-1752

Regent Ulrike von Württemburg
Chapter 56: 1752-1764

The reign of Emperor Marius I Liberator
Chapter 57, part 1: 1764-1768
Chapter 57, part 2: 1768-1777
Chapter 57, part 3: 1777-1793

The reign of Emperor John IV and Julius II Coniungor
Chapter 58: 1793-1821

State of the Empire: Endgame

Last edited:
Definitely following!
And Constantinople, along with the end of the Byzantines, should be a prerequisite to forming the new empire too.

Prologue: The Founding of an Empire

The citizens of Florence awoke one morning to find a proclamation nailed into every church and government building in the city. The proclamation read as follows:

1 January 1399

Greetings to the people of Tuscany, especially her crown jewel, the city of Florence. I want to thank you all for electing me to be your leader; it is truly an honor to lead this great country to victory in the coming days! To facilitate the protection of Tuscan citizens from her neighbors, I have, with great humility and regret, accepted the title of "Emperor of Tuscany" as long as I am in office. I have prayed on this, and while I am reluctant to deprive the Tuscan people of her voice, for the time being, we will have no more elections until the forthcoming crisis has been averted.

Sincerely,
Emperor Meso degli Albizzi​

The townspeople, those that could read anyway, were a bit puzzled, but for the most part were unconcerned. They went on tilling their fields, tending to their herds, and performing their daily tasks as before. What did they care if the new Prince called himself "Emperor"? Surely, he would honor the traditional freedoms of the Tuscan people.

Some, however, were worried. What did the proclamation mean by "forthcoming crisis?"

-------------
In the new Imperial palace

The new so-called Emperor, Meso degli Albizzi, gathered some of his most trusted advisers. Although the ignorant sheep that made up the vast majority of his new subjects (he had already begun thinking of them in this way) would swallow whatever he fed them, his training as a young secretary in the Papal embassy at Rome taught him how to write speeches and persuade the intelligent. Few suspected he had been the real power at the Roman Embassy.

"My friends," de Albizzi said, gesturing to the crowd around him, "I want to thank you all for coming. I have heard rumors that the powerful de Medici family have been conspiring against our lawfully elected administration. Those fools think that, because they have wealth, they should have power. Instead of honestly campaigning, as I did, they want to seize power through a coup de' tat. This will not stand!" He pounded his throne with his right hand, sending reverberations throughout the room that were only drowned out by the raucous applause.

"To this end, I have proclaimed a new Empire in Italy. We will unite Italy under our glorious banners and, God willing, restore what is rightfully ours to the people of Tuscany and Italians everywhere!" This time, the applause was even louder. One or two worried faces quietly edged towards the exit, but guards quickly intercepted them and just as quietly led them towards the basement of the palace.

"You are all dismissed. My friends, we will soon enter a new era, a rebirth of the ancient glories that were once Italy's and shall be again!" With that, the Emperor sat back in chair and watched as most of his advisers walked with a spring in their steps towards the exits, chattering away about the Emperor's speech and the implications for their salaries and offices.

All of his advisers, that is, except for one. Maso de Albizzi sighed. One of the few friends he had left from his days in Rome, the new Magister Equitum [Master of Horse] approached the Emperor, knelt, and presented a report that he had prepared, at the Emperor's urging.

"Your Imperial Majesty, I have here a list of all the officers who might be prone to question your new authority."

The Emperor took the report, carefully examined it, and thought for a moment.

"Marcus, I am grateful for your service, as always. When I decided to restore the Roman Empire, I knew I would need your assistance. Although the Tuscan Army is still quite small, it is vital that they do not betray us, as without the army, we cannot enforce our will. As quickly as you can, convince as many of these men to retire as you can. We will find appropriate posts -- far away from Tuscany, of course -- for the remainder. If any prove exceptionally stubborn, you are authorized... to deal with them." At this, the Emperor rose and retired to this quarters, without waiting for a reply. He knew that his old friend would unquestioningly serve his wishes.

--------------------------------
Nine months later

The Emperor's swift work ensured only a modicum of resistance. By only arresting and imprisoning the rich -- and redistributing their wealth -- the vast majority of the citizens of Tuscany enthusiastically supported their leader. The de Medicis, for the most part, had either fled the country or gone underground. As long as the Emperor's policies were not actively opposed, Imperial agents were instructed not to look too hard for the remnants of the formerly influential banking family. Resistance would be brutally punished, however.

It remained to be seen, however, how the rest of Europe would take the news of a new Empire in Italy. Some countries, doubtlessly jealous of Maso de Ablizzi's success, would unquestionably try to prevent the inevitable...

Feedback

Boris -- Welcome aboard! Glad I could brighten up your day!

jiii -- I've done a number of test games, and while I was initially skeptical, I too have grown to appreciate Tuscany. Brandenburg is another of my favorites, too.

Konnigratz -- That is certainly one of my key goals, as a new Roman Empire could not function without Constantinople.

I'm now editing images for the Introduction and Opening Moves section -- should be up soon!

I'll be following this with interest.

Wouldn't it be Emperor Meso I?
Good luck, and don't let the infamy kill you! It killed me in a tuscany game I played (the rebels and the punitive warring are evil)

The Initial Moves of the Tuscan Empire

14 October, 1399

The first ten months of Emperor de Albizzi's reign were very quiet. After ensuring that objections to his rule would be minimal, he began plotting the expansion of his realm. Reforming the Roman Empire would not be an easy task, but nothing worthwhile ever was. He had named a Consul to serve as his personal secretary and handle the day to day operations of administering Tuscany, while the Magister Equitum, who had fashioned himself Marcus Vispanius Agrippa*, was in charge of the army until a more suitable general could be found.

The Consul met Master Agrippa in the hallway leading to the Imperial Throne. Both had been instructed to provide reports on some of the key areas of the Tuscan administration. They glanced at each other and exchanged a silent sigh. The Emperor had insisted on handling his own foreign policy, so there was no need for assistance there, but he was no administrator or military hero, despite his delusions of grandeur. They would both have their work cut for them.

The Consul, who had chosen the name Marcus Porcius Cato, was first to approach the Imperial Throne. He handed the Emperor a map of Tuscany and the surrounding area.

intromap.jpg

The Emperor carefully studied the map. While many of Tuscany's neighbors were friendly, as he well knew, the Holy Roman Emperor claimed protection over many of the Italian city-states, including his own. Only Urbino, Naples, and Sicily had refused protection. He cursed the existence of a pretender to the Roman Empire and vowed, softly, to someday break his hold over Europe. Things could always change, but for now, he would choose to expand his power peacefully.

"And your report on the economy, Consul Cato?" the Emperor inquired.

"Right here, your Imperial Majesty."

introeconomy.jpg

"Your Imperial Majesty, although we are small --"

"For the present," growled the Emperor, interrupting.

"Yes, for the present. We have a booming economy. The glorious University of Florence attracts young minds from around Europe, all of whom beg to serve under your flag. We are members of the Genoese Trade League, and the Genoese will use their influence to help us send merchants throughout the known world, expanding our treasury. We are quite learned as well, and you need but wish it and I shall set our finest scholars on whatever new knowledge you wish to acquire."

The Emperor thought for a moment and said, "For now, let us consolidate our rule. Have the scholars publish pamphlets and books, to be distributed to our clergy and our elite, encouraging Stability for Tuscany."

The Consul bowed, nodding, and then turned to his next report.

"For your convenience, I have summarized our policies, extant before your glorious rule, that you might indicate your will in this area. It is best we not make too many changes too quickly -- once every 9 or 10 years should more than suffice."

The Emperor was aghast at how much power the local nobles had. He immediately ordered a tightening of control in the hands of Imperial agents and authorities. Although Centralization would prove to be unpopular, causing further destabilization, the Emperor knew that no Empire had survived long without a powerful figure on the throne.

introslidermove.jpg

After receiving his orders, the Consul bowed one final time to the Emperor, nodded to the Magister Equitum, who knelt at the throne, as he always did, and began reading from a scroll he had written earlier that day. The Consul quietly left the room as Master Agrippa began to speak.

"Your Imperial Majesty, the Tuscan army is proud, but not very large. I know you wish to expand Tuscan power -- as do we all -- but we need capable leaders and more troops."

introarmy.jpg

The Emperor replied, with a smile, "My old friend, you do not have to kneel -- I am the Emperor, not God." This was a common ritual between the two, ever since Maso degli Ablizzi had become Emperor. Agrippa knew that it played upon the Emperor's vanity to kneel, and degli Ablizzi knew that it was good to appear humble and allow his staff to stand in his presence.

Agrippa rose, on cue, and continued. "I propose we raise an additional regiment of Infantry, using some of the funds in the treasury. Our economy can easily support this additional unit, and it would make any... acquisitions... much simpler."

The Emperor nodded his assent, and Master Agrippa motioned to one of the guards, handed him a message, and then returned to his report. "We do not currently have access to the sea, but my agents assure me we could easily support one large ship or a small fleet of smaller ships."

The Emperor considered this, and made a mental note to make access to either the Adriatic or Ionian Seas a priority. He picked up an Imperial decree that he had signed earlier, and handed it to Master Agrippa. "Deliver this to the officer in charge of the Armata di Firenze, and see that he makes the changes stated within. As you leave, Master Agrippa, please send in the Diplomatic Chancellor, as I have dispatches to send." Marcus Agrippa nodded, backed away from the throne, then turned and left.

The Diplomatic Chancellor was little more than a secretary under the reign of Maso degli Ablizzi. Although a seasoned diplomat, he understood this and accepted the assignment in his twilight years. He did occasionally offer advice, which the Emperor welcomed, but did not often follow. The Chancellor, unlike other officials in the administration, had not adopted a Latin name, which would have been problematic, had he not been so close to retirement. This meant that the Emperor rarely referred to him by name, which was fine with the Diplomatic Chancellor.

"There you are, my Chancellor. I would like to you have your ambassadors pursue any marriages they can with the royal families of Naples, Milan, Urbino, and Ferrara."

The Chancellor mentally composed the notes in his mind, then sent an aide to transcribe his instructions, while the Emperor waited. The Emperor did not mind waiting; he knew his Chancellor had composed the perfect requests, tailored to each individual person, and this would ensure the best possible result. After he finished, the Chancellor spoke. "Your Imperial Majesty, I would also strongly recommend closer ties with the Milanese. Until your plan has begun to unfold, some strategic alliances could prove to be very useful." **

The Emperor responded, "My personal contacts have considered this to be Impossible. I will consider your proposal, but we may have to look elsewhere for aid." The Chancellor nodded and left the Emperor to begin planning the next moves for Tuscany.

----------
A few hours later, near the camp of the Armata di Firenze

The Magister Equitum rode into the camp, where a young aide held his horse and saluted. Master Agrippa strode purposefully toward the largest tent, where the acting commander would be. The commander knew he would soon be replaced, which was fine with him -- he was uncomfortable leading a large army and much preferred to be second-in-command and live and dine with his troops. Upon hearing Master Agrippa's approach, the Commander immediately left the tent, stood, and saluted.

Master Agrippa returned the salute, and with his most authoritative voice, said, "Orders from the Emperor himself." He handed the decree over to the Commander, who unabashedly replied, "Master Agrippa, I'm just an old soldier. I never had time to learn the squiggles the old Romans used." The Magister Equitum turned slightly red, and with controlled rage, read the decree aloud.

Commander:

You are forthwith to destroy all banners currently held in your army. You shall immediately begin new ones, stating your new name, "The I Legion." You are to be honored as the first of many legions that will soon protect the Tuscan Empire and defeat her enemies. You are free to choose any emblem you like as your legionary flag. Know that future generations will always remember you and your soldiers as the heroes of the Tuscan Empire!

The Emperor​

The Commander shrugged, and casually ordered one of his young officers to start a bonfire to destroy the old flags. Master Agrippa scowled at the Commander's lackadaisical attitude and the nonchalant nature of his troops. Clearly, he thought, these soldiers would never be ready for combat without a truly competent general to lead them. He briefly considered arresting the Commander on charges of treason, but quickly dismissed this idea, as he knew that the new I Legion was extremely loyal to their leader and would probably try to kill him if he did anything now. For now, Master Agrippa seethed on the inside, but turned and left as quickly as he could.

introlegion.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gameplay Notes

* All important characters will take a Roman name, as befits the grandeur of a new Roman Emperor. It just so happens that I prefer to choose famous names -- do not read any characteristics into the characters based on the names.

** My first mission was to get an alliance with Milan -- if the Royal Marriages work, I'll check and see if there's any chance Milan would consider it. If not, I will probably eventually cancel it.

Feedback

Nekromans -- Great! Happy to have you aboard!

Mayorqw -- That would truly be an epic confrontation -- I've got my doubts, but anything is possible :D

CivandEUIII -- That's a great idea! I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of it. It'll also save me the not-inconsequential burden of trying to remember how to spell his name :rolleyes: Beginning with the next update, he shall be thusly named.

I'll probably start on gameplay for the next update this afternoon or evening. The next update will probably be next week sometime.

Maybe you should name your legions as actual ones (that is, in Latin).
The I Legion could be the Legio I Florentiana (First Legion of (from) Florence or something like that).
You could head over to the wiki and pick up some names! Maybe recreate Julius Caesar's very own Legio X Equestris!

Good update!

Also, should you ever feel like using new names for your characters, go here!

Last edited:
from now on, you should latinize your country: name it Tuscia in future updates, make all armies legiones and all navies classes (singular classis)