• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
President: McAttack
Texas: Abstain

As my possibly last act in the Congress of our great nation, I must say that Texas should be admitted as a free state. Has the people already stated that they are okay with giving up slavery? If the Texans themselves are willing to do so, then I don't understand how the Democrats belive they are protecting their "right" to bound another human into forced labor. Make Texas free!

President: King ((Onviouslly)
Texas: Free

The admittance of Texas as a free state seems appealing. However, we must consider the consequences of such an action. The South will feel bordered on all sides by what they call the oppressive Yankee North. We MUST keep this country united above all costs, and to do that we must sometimes bow to the pressures of our minority groups. What are laws in a democracy if not to protect the minorities (in this case the South). We must act with restraint and gradual sanctions against slavery, not with outright hostility. We have recently admitted Maine as a free state, and so we must balance with a slave held Texas!

President: King
Texas: Slave

(Honestly, the game will play out so much more interesting with a strong South come the Civil War).

The admittance of Texas as a free state seems appealing. However, we must consider the consequences of such an action. The South will feel bordered on all sides by what they call the oppressive Yankee North. We MUST keep this country united above all costs, and to do that we must sometimes bow to the pressures of our minority groups. What are laws in a democracy if not to protect the minorities (in this case the South). We must act with restraint and gradual sanctions against slavery, not with outright hostility. We have recently admitted Maine as a free state, and so we must balance with a slave held Texas!

President: King

(Honestly, the game will play out so much more interesting with a strong South come the Civil War).

((Ya, I was actually half-tempted to vote for a Slave-State Texas for that very reason :p I like a-historically strong CSAs.))

I shall also vote for the admission of Texas as a Slave state. Whilst doing so may grate with some of my personal beliefs on the issue I cannot put my beliefs above the need to hold together the Union and refuse to force them upon other peoples as the Whigs would.

Texas: Slave State

*Presidential Vote edited away at Bob's request*

Last edited:
President: Thomas McAttack

"The good gentlemen of texas, who are akin to us southerners, should be able to keep thier slaves namely on the ground that releasing millions of dollars in property without compensation would devastate the local economy. Having fought for thier rights, is it ours to reward them by taking thier most valuble possesions?"

Okay. Candidates, voting for yourselves is still not possible. Could you please remove that vote from your ballots to avoid confusion. :)

Currently the Presidential stands at:

McAttack: 5

King: 4

And Texas as so (slave/free/abstain): 6/3/2

Why can't candidates vote for themselves? :confused:

Because it's rather unorthodox to be allowed to vote for yourself, as both candidates are going to. Also, these votes don't really make a difference, as they cross each other out.

You could vote for yourself, but it wouldn't really matter as the other side's candidate will also vote for himself. It's just simpler to not vote at all.

Well, I'm turning in for the night. Election stands at McAttack 6 and King 4.

PS. Come on guys, I know AARland can do better than 12 votes in 24 hours. :)

Well, I'm turning in for the night. Election stands at McAttack 6 and King 4.

PS. Come on guys, I know AARland can do better than 12 votes in 24 hours. :)

((Perhaps the other pAARticipants in this AAR are all grounded like myself and thus unable to write except in secret)):cool:

Ezekiel Brass, b. 1776 in New Hampshire, patriarch of the New York-based newspaper The Sentry.

Gentlemen, I cast my vote for Mr.King.

Presidential Vote: King
Texas: Free

what did you say we were gona do in the event of a tie bbb?

That's the biggest problem right now.

yourworstnightm's vote has given King a one vote lead, but a draw is still very much a possibility.

Solutions I have are:

A) I act as tie-breaker. Simple, but way too dictatorial.

B) We have a 3-member group, who would make a mini-election in case of a draw, but that too would seem to defeat the point of the original election.

C) A super-neutral person, who pledges to always cast the last vote, unless their vote would make it a draw, in which case they'd refrain from voting. A person like that though, is very hard to find.

D) ATTACK77's Golden Vote idea (below). I like this most, and it's probably the one we'll use.

Tell me what you think of these, and please, ideas for how to avoid draws are always welcome.

PS. Gloa's idea on how to stop draws in primaries has now been put in the rules.

Last edited: