• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Early version of Lincoln-Douglas debates much? I'd respond with another speech, but Back to the Future just came on so I'm going to respond at a later time.))

((I believe you are refering to the film back to the future, from what is actually the future yes?))

If we are going to have a debate ill grab the cannons

Okay. A severe bout of writers block, brought on by RL events has left me prostrate for the last two days. I'll try to get you something tomorrow.

PS. The slavery legislation of the Rio Grande will be determined by popular sovereignty. The decision of the people of the Rio Grande will be explained in the story.

Gentlemen of Congress, our nation was founded upon the principles of freedom and justice. We exist free of the overbearing rule of a king, of a dictator, or of the unparallel power of a church. We enjoy a life of liberty, the enforcement of law by an independent judiciary, and the ability to pursue happiness unhindered. Yet there exists a mortal injustice within our nation, a debate exists which endures even once our former masters have rejected the institution, we completely restrict the rights of members of our country, and I have pledged to do my upmost to see its gradual end. As we see the close of the war to prevail liberty against Mexico I see oppurtunity to expand freedom in another alley. That is the purpose of this legislation.

I present a draft bill to be debated and amended as Congress sees fit.

The Freedom Bill 1845

Article 1. The Federal Government shall ensure that it may be possible that upon the request of volunteer slave owners that in exchange for the release of people in servitude the government grant ninety-nine year lease of currently Federal land in the United States Territories.

Article 2. The Federal Government shall ensure that it may be possible that upon the request of volunteer slave owners that in exchange for the release of people in servitude the government grant money in cash or government bonds, or some combination of the two.

Article 3. Any released slave shall be free in perpetuity.

Article 4. The amount of land leased under Article 1 or the amount of money given under Article 2 in exchange for the release of slaves shall be based upon market values and ultimately decided by the Department for the South.

Article 5. The granting of land under Article 1 may be done so in conjunction with money under Article 2.

Article 6. Under this Bill, any abolitionist group or individual, may purchase the freedom of a slave from any willing slave holder. The buyer of the slaves freedom would then recieve a share of the land given to the slave holder under the conditions set by the rest of this Bill.

Article 7. Each freed slave shall be given a choice between free passage to Liberia, paid by the State, the ownership of five acres of land and enough animals to last a year, or to attempt to find paid work in the factories or plantations.

I submit this bill to Congress.

- John F. Cameron
- President of the United States of America

Last edited:
I disagree with Aritcle 4 of this bill. Any willing slave holder should be given a choice of money for their slave's freedom, or a lease of federal land, not both. This should encourage the larger plantation holders to give their slaves freedom for money, while still sitting on their large estates and producing the goods they have always produced. This would also encourage smaller farms with slaves to trade their slaves freedom in exchange for federal land with which they couldnt have to compete with the large production of larger plantations.

I think it makes sense that if a slave owner gave up a slave worth 100$ they have the option to recieve 70$ worth of Federal land and 30$ of cash, that way people can give up their plantations, move out west and have the money to establish themself in their new home.

I did not think of it like that. Doing that makes much sense then, the Negro Payed Freedom Act would still be separate from this bill though right? That way the larger plantations could just recieve money and not have to leave their already profitable lands.

I would propose an amendment, wherein people could obtain land in return for freeing other people's slaves (in legal manners, of course, by purchasing their freedom from slaveholders). Thus, a slaveholder could obtain money from an abolitionist (probably at a greater price than the Negro Paid Freedom Act, or presented otherwise in a more convenient form for him) to recompense him fairly and willingly for the freedom of his slaves. The abolitionist then gain land for his money, as well as purchasing the freedom of slaves (with whatever benefits he may see in that action, moral or otherwise). In this way, both may be satisfied, both may gain land through this bill (and both may free slaves through this bill), and there may be useful commerce and relations between different people and regions.

I get what you mean, however I can't think how to suitably word it, if you can do so I'll include it.

How about: Under this Bill, any abolitionist group or individual, may purchase the freedom of a slave from any willing slave holder, for a price of at least 1.5 times that the federal government would be willing to pay in the Negro Paid Freedom Act. The buyer of the slaves freedom would then recieve a share of the land given to the slave holder under the conditions set by the rest of this Bill.

((Edit: Already taken care of. Never mind.))

I get what you mean, however I can't think how to suitably word it, if you can do so I'll include it.
"Furthermore, the Federal Government shall ensure that the same exchange may be possible upon the request of other persons upon their purchase from a willing slave holder of the release of that slaveholder's persons in servitude, even if they did not own any slaves before."?

A bit cumbersome, but I do believe it gets the point across.

Gentlemen of Congress, our nation was founded upon the principles of freedom and justice. We exist free of the overbearing rule of a king, of a dictator, or of the unparallel power of a church. We enjoy a life of liberty, the enforcement of law by an independent judiciary, and the ability to pursue happiness unhindered. Yet there exists a mortal injustice within our nation, a debate exists which endures even once our former masters have rejected the institution, we completely restrict the rights of members of our country, and I have pledged to do my upmost to see its gradual end. As we see the close of the war to prevail liberty against Mexico I see oppurtunity to expand freedom in another alley. That is the purpose of this legislation.

I present a draft bill to be debated and amended as Congress sees fit.

Freedom for Soil Bill

Article 1. The Federal Government shall ensure that it may be possible that upon the request of volunteer slave owners that in exchange for the release of people in servitude the government grant ninety-nine year lease of currently Federal land in the United States Territories.

Article 2. Any released slave shall be free in perpetuity.

Article 3. The amount of land leased in exchange for the release of slaves shall be based upon market values and ultimately decided by the Department for the South.

Article 4. The granting of land may be done so in conjunction with money under the Negro Played Freedom Act.

Article 5. Under this Bill, any abolitionist group or individual, may purchase the freedom of a slave from any willing slave holder, for a price of at least 1.5 times that the federal government would be willing to pay in the Negro Paid Freedom Act. The buyer of the slaves freedom would then recieve a share of the land given to the slave holder under the conditions set by the rest of this Bill.

I submit this bill to Congress.

- John F. Cameron
- President of the United States of America

With All due Respect President Cameron, I doubt this bill would be effective as southern slaveowners would have no incentive to move west from this, why give up prosperity where you are to risk it in land of questionable fertility and worse climate. In Addition, since cootton has been the main crop of the south for 40 years I doubt most southern slaveholders would have any clue how to grow something like wheat on the great plains.

-With The Best Intentions
-Colonel Thomas J.L. Davis, SNP/SNM/US Army

I understand what you say, however I think we might as well give those who would want to the chance to do so.

Mr. President,
While I applaud your dedication to the abolitionist cause, I think this bill can be improved. I support buying the freedom of africans held in captivity, but what about after that. Instead of giving our newly conquered lands to the slaveholders, I propose we give land in the territories to the newly freed africans. 40 acres and a mule is my plan. Of course the africans are also free to emigrate to our African ally Liberia if they choose.

Rep. Jeremiah Williams

With All due Respect President Cameron, I doubt this bill would be effective as southern slaveowners would have no incentive to move west from this, why give up prosperity where you are to risk it in land of questionable fertility and worse climate. In Addition, since cootton has been the main crop of the south for 40 years I doubt most southern slaveholders would have any clue how to grow something like wheat on the great plains.

-With The Best Intentions
-Colonel Thomas J.L. Davis, SNP/SNM/US Army

Colonel Davis, I believe this Bill would be to entice the smaller land holders in the south to move to the west where there would be less competition against the larger plantations. And the money they would recieve from the NPFA would help ensure they survive their first few years until they can get a steady income out west. The moving of farmers from the South to the west, should also help drive up the price of cotton, with the decrease in production. Allowing our cotton plantations to survive and grow.

Mr. President,
While I applaud your dedication to the abolitionist cause, I think this bill can be improved. I support buying the freedom of africans held in captivity, but what about after that. Instead of giving our newly conquered lands to the slaveholders, I propose we give land in the territories to the newly freed africans. 40 acres and a mule is my plan. Of course the africans are also free to emigrate to our African ally Liberia if they choose.

Rep. Jeremiah Williams

This idea of giving land out west for the newly freed slaves, should also be included, but not at the extent of 40 acres and only 1 mule. These former slaves would have an even harder time adjusting to the west then any slave holder moving out there would have. Maybe say 10 acres to begin with and a couple of cows, chickens, and pigs to help survive until it is proven that they can do it. Then they can recieve more acreage from the government.
And I would caution you Mr. Williams, it would be wiser to use the term liberated when refering to the former Mexican Territories, for that is why we are there. To liberate them from the oppression and tyranny of the Bean-Eater Santa Anna.

-God Preserve the Union
-General Khur

Last edited: