• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update written, now I just need Frymonmon's ticket pics. :)

PS. Congratulations on post #1000 Mr. President.

We've sent them in then?

((Huge RL issue I have told BB about. I am inactive for sometime.))

((I'll fill in for this poster then, if I may, so we don't have lopsided party propaganda))
campaign.jpg

((Wait a minute!, McAttack's running as Cameron's VP? wasn't he a Democrat? Now that they have their own ticket I thought we were going separate ways, have I missed something?))

((Wait a minute!, McAttack's running as Cameron's VP? wasn't he a Democrat? Now that they have their own ticket I thought we were going separate ways, have I missed something?))
((I don't think we've gotten news either way. I don't think McAttack ran for the Democratic primary, which would suggest that he'd probably stick with the unity ticket (even though it's no longer the National Union party). He's a moderate and worked well with the administration before, so it's a bit of a mystery.

In case he's not on the ticket, I've made an alternative (based off of Pres. Cameron's comments).
))

((oh yeah, the Democrats hadn't gotten one either. I'm afraid I can't really help with that one, since I don't know what Cartwright or Walsh look like, and I probably won't have much time to fool around with Arcsoft Photostudio in the next couple days. Who else can mash a picture together? [maybe it will be a Democrat, and then we'll have each ticket banner made by members of the party it represents]))

democrathandbill.png

Sorry for the delay, I assumed Mr Cartwright was taking care of this.

The Presidential Election of 1845

The Union Party was always going to be a short-lived phenomenon. It was created out of fear of the SNP, and when that fear resided, the Union Party was doomed. Throughout his entire presidency, Cameron had had to balance the views in the “Unholy Government” [1]. When December 1st 1844 came around Cameron decided it was time to officially dissolve the party. So the Democrats and Whigs held their own National Conventions once more.
The SNP had been quick to come to their decision. Colonel Jonathan Davis decided not to run for the presidency, instead steering hi party toward accepting a ticket in which General Nicolas Khur, a Northerner, was the presidential candidate. With this strategy, Davis hoped Khur could capture the Northern vote. The Democrats and Whigs, confident after their crushing victory in 1841, paid almost no heed to the events in Georgia.
In the Democrat National Convention, turnout was disappointing. The Party Members, feeling unsure as to where their allegiance lay after the dissolution of the Union Party, hardly showed up. With a small margin in a small vote, Albert Cartwright won the first ballot, and became the Democratic presidential candidate. His was a case of “third time’s the charm”.
It was the Whig National Convention that proved most dramatic. Being the liberal side of American politics, the Whigs produced the only anti-war candidate in a climate of war fever. The struggle between President Cameron and Jeremiah Brass embodied the Whigs’ great problem. They were essentially anti-war, but had in fact started a conflict that had claimed as many as 25,000 American lives because of disease or combat.
The first ballot put Cameron in the lead with a small enough margin for Brass to call for a revote. The second ballot came to a tie. President Cameron, becoming aware of the fact that Brass might win, took to the podium, and held a speech on his policies. It won him the day, as the third ballot saw him gain enough votes to secure an uncontested candidacy. With Brass’ loss, the continuation of the Mexican-American War became a virtual certainty.

brasst.jpg

1. Jeremiah Brass, the only anti-war candidate of 1844.​

In the following months, the vice-presidential candidates would do the campaigning for both the Whigs and SNP, as their presidential candidates were unavailable. President Cameron was, for the most part, in Washington, dealing with the Ambassador of the UPCA, who was seriously doubting his country’s ability to continue the war. Khur on the other hand was busy in Mexico, attempting to solve the deadlock that had formed on the front.
At the time, US forces were unwilling to risk another Flagstaff. Santa Anna on the other hand, having lost almost 40,000 Mexican lives fighting the two-front war in the “Rio Grande” [2] and Yucatan, simply could not risk any offensive operations. The only notable act of those two months would be the raid on Henderson.
The raid was carried out by Colonel Davis’ 6th Cavalry Brigade on January 5th. Davis had been placed in command of the brigade upon returning to the front in late December. He resented being in command of Northerners [3], but had no other possible positions of command due to the Southern losses at Flagstaff. On January 1st he and the brigade set out for Henderson, the last major town in Nevada still controlled by Mexican forces.
Upon arrival, the brigade was met by a Mexican force passing through the town. The ensuing battle resulted in the deaths of 397 cavalrymen and 2,967 Mexicans, earning Davis the respect of his new men and vice versa. Davis and the 6th Cavalry proceeded to burn any houses that contained weapons not owned by Americans living in Nevada. Half the city was set ablaze before the 6th Cavalry left. Davis and his men were hailed as heroes, like Khur had been two years earlier on his return to Fort Houston.

[1] – A name given to Cameron’s government in the South, where, by allying with the Whigs, the Democrats were said to have made a deal with the devil.

[2] – The name given by US troops to the area demanded by the US in order for peace, as it was simpler than saying Areas North of the Rio Grande. Today, it has become an everyday term in these areas.

[3] – Davis was a fervent believer in the cause of Southern Military Exceptionalism, and thus believed until the raid his troops would fail him in combat.

The Candidates/Tickets of 1845

Election Manifesto of the Whig Party

whighandbill1845.jpg

Presidential Candidate: John F. Cameron
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Daniel Gallatin

Fellow Americans, over the past four years I have done my utmost to ensure the protection of our nation; both from the perils of foreign expansionism and from internal divisions. My administration has taken strong actions against Santa Anna and his oppressive regime, continued great economic growth, expanded liberties, seen an end to Bleeding Texas, and established a national government encompassing all. On the principles of liberalism, freedom and a desire for peace I shall seek re-election and I guarantee you that I shall continue to govern with both vigour and caution in a manor fit for this great country, and lay the foundation for radical reform which shall see our country grow stronger still. I thank you.

Policies:

Economic:
We shall continue our policies which have brought great wealth to all men, such growth which would be halted by a more interfering administration.

Women’s Rights:

We shall expand the rights of women at the federal level and encourage it at the state level; I think it not too ambitious to hope for the universal suffrage of all of-age women by 1860.

Welfare:

I shall launch a review into the procurement of a federally subsidized public healthcare service, free at the point of use to those who require it.

Military:
We shall continue to provide the adequate funding necessary for an army engaged in battle with our southern foe, parallel to the expansion of the American Expeditionary Force.

Foreign:

The immediate goal of my foreign policy is of course to win the war on Santa Anna, but we also seek to expand our influence and secure peace in Latin America and pursue friendly relations with the other Great Powers.

Election Manifesto of the Democratic Party
democrathandbill1845.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Archibald Cartwright
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Eldud Walsh

My fellow countrymen, we are in a time of great need. We are in a dangerous war with a usurper of an evil mindset, to honor our values of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Economically we are lacking behind compared to the rest of the world and this must be rectified. Slavery is still a complex issue, but headway can be made. The time of the National Union compromise has ended, it is time for a strong leader that can pull us ahead in the world. I am willing to be this leader. I have the experience needed to guide you towards a better future. I have witnessed the War of 1812 firsthand and am able to lead our forces. I look at the big picture and at the small details. I am Archibald Cartwright, your future President.
Policies

Economy:
The current economic progress of the country is going ahead well, but it is not enough yet. My policy is intervene wherever needed, making sure we do not go backwards but only forward. The trade to the rest of the world should be opened up further if possible, acquiring new deals of trade for both import and export. Goods imported for factories and the general populace should be made available more if so needed. If at all still possible, we should increase our cash reserves to hasten the possibilities of the NPFA.

Military:
Swift and decisive action has to be taken, to ensure a fast and victorious war effort. Once Santa Anna has relinquished the lands that are rightfully ours by God’s will, we shall have border patrols to make sure Santa Anna does not impose further on the American people. Our navy has to be upgraded, to ensure safety. A new fleet is to be constructed at Seattle to oversee our Pacific sea-border effectively. Where needed we are to resupply and reinforce our armies in the west, and also expand our army gradually while keeping in line with the 1:1 ratio that is still in effect.

Foreign policy:

We should not only look south towards our close friends and possible allies, but when the war is over we should start to look into the Pacific theater to expand our zone of influence. In South America, if not yet influenced enough, we should pursue the USCA, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru and Chile first, and stay in line with the Monroe Doctrine. After the war is over, excess diplomats are to be sent to the island nation of Hawaii, and also to Korea and Japan.

Slavery:
The Negro Payed Freedom Act, envisioned by yours truly, is to be correctly and effectively executed in the country. Jobs are to be created for Freemen. Places to live are to be created. The plight of the Negro cannot end yet. This is an important issue in the United States sadly, but anything that can be done to alleviate the strains between both sides of this conflict has to be done. It is not an issue of North vs. South anymore, it is an issue of the United States of America, and we are to stay United through and through.

Infrastructure:
Once the war is over, we shall have a grand endeavor to cross the continent. A trans-continental railway will be a priority, and we propose that our nation's fine capitalists start running companies to cross either in the north towards Seattle, in the middle towards Sacramento, or in the south towards San Diego. A proud project for our proud people of a proud nation!

Once again, vote Congressman for Georgia Archibald Cartwright for President, and Congressman for Virginia Eldud Walsh for Vice President. Your country needs a strong team in the Oval Office. The Democrats will provide that strong team. Vote Democrat.

--Signed Archibald Cartwright, Presidential Candidate for the Democratic Party in the 1845 election.

Election Manifesto of the Southern Nationalist Party
snphandbill1845.jpg

Presidential Candidate: Nicolas Khur
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Thomas Hensdale

Military:

New pacific fleet and expansion of the army not exceeding the 1:1 limit.
Pre-existing fleets should be more than enough in the event of a naval war.

Economics:

State capitalism.
Building of new factories in south to use over-supply of cotton.
Expansion of rail roads across nation.
Upgrading of pre-existing factories in north with a few new ones if budget allows.
Subsidizing of factories in the negative until they start to produce on their own.

Foreign:
enforcement of the Monroe doctrine in south and central American including the Caribbean.
Increased relations with European countries such as UK and Prussia as well as Hawaii and Japan.

Economic:
Encouragement in the south of laborers/craftsmen and in new territories/states so that new factories may eventually be built in them.

Subsidizing of factories in the negative until they start to produce on their own.

If income of country starts to go negative, then increase of tariffs to at most 25%, taxes on pops to fluctuate with the income of the nation, spending on military, administration, and education to be at max.

---------------------

Exceptional Situations(s):

It’s voting day! (Not actually just a day). So, will suffrage be gender-biased no longer? Will the Democrats gain votes? Does the SNP have a true shot at victory? You decide right now on… The Presidents: 1836 - 1936!

I, Colonel Davis, Vote SNP

President: SNP/Khur-Hensdale

All the parties are pro military (geeze, its like modern day American politics).

I cast my vote for Cameron (Whig)

((i need to work on how i write my policies Dx ))
Fellow Americans, we stand on the verg of a shift within our Nation. That verg is to support one of the two oldest parties within our nation, that have shown through recent elections that they would rather argue more among themselves then do what is best for the nation, or to support the rising Southern Nationalist Party who has, from their founding, shown that they put the best for our nation through swift decisive unity time and again. I ask of you all to vote SNP this election for Mr. Hensdale and myself and we will bring swift ends to this war and bring complete unity between the men of the North and the men of the South. I myself am a Northern and a past Democrat but I have seen past petty state borders and a such "Mason Dixin Line" to achieve unity with our Brothers in the deap South, such as Colonel Davis and my running mate Mr. Hensdale. What we need for this war and our nation as a whole is unity shown in the SNP and their candidate for the Presidency, me, who fought alongside Jackson in New Orleans in 1812 and who is even now leading our troops to victory against the vile oppression of Sanata Anna.
May God Preserve Our Union and May He Bring Us Victory in the Rio Grande
-Letter Read in and Sent from Fort Houston to Congress and National Papers by General/Presidential Candidate Nicolas Khur

I am torn between Cameron and Cartwright; in a truly free market, where the best are chosen based solely on merit and not where you were born, immigrants would prosper. I believe Mr. Cameron is the best choice for that reason. However, Mr. Cartwright also acknowledges the right, nay, the destiny of the United States to expand into the Pacific; Mr. Cameron seems to only be concerned with Latin America and Europe. If the United States of America is to receive the respect it deserves from the Old World, we must prove our mettle by force of arms, force of the economy, and force of diplomacy.

Would a representative from Mr. Cameron's campaign consider addressing his plans for expansion into the Pacific? We border two oceans, not one, and I cannot support a candidate who does not consider this.