• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Ah, so a man from Illinois joins the clash of the California Titans. Welcome to the debate - I'll hopefully be back at this tomorrow, but for awhile this must be my last post as I deal with real life projects.))
I applaud Governor Sullivan's ideals, but actions and sound basic policies speak louder than even the best of words. For example, equality will be met not by obvious statements of moral righteousness, but by reform and policy. Education must be made more equal and free and the electoral system must be made more democratic - with corruption and intimidation countered at all points - to empower the negro against injustice and prejudice of all kinds. Actions must be taken to support the designs of equality and freedom that this nation was founded on, and to prevent intimidation, corruption, and unfair actions from continuing to deprive any American from the education and voting power that they were intended to have.

I also must fear that Mr. Sullivan has misinterpreted my stance on economic matters, so I will explain more my intentions for strengthening our institutions. Of utmost importance is that the American worker is secure in their work and investments - not fearing monopoly and unfair practices, nor the sudden failure of their investments and individual finances. This must be done by considering economic facts rather than ideological position, regulating where it is necessary and deregulating where it is necessary - not for the benefit of corporations and profit, but for the American public's security. The Federal Reserve and the Treasury must keep the nation from foolish monetary policy and prevent the unemployment and suffering from problems merely of mistakes of inflation and deflation. Deposit insurance and the regulation of solvency for banks must be made to give Americans security in their investments without bank runs or hiding money under their mattresses - but also without being, as Jarvis would say, "in bed with" banks and micromanaging them. It is policies like these which will support the worker, rather than merely funneling money into industry or leaving it to businesses to keep themselves from the tempting practices of monopoly and damaging risk taking. Regulatory commissions must also be watched - developed into strong watchdogs which can do their original duty of preventing bad business practices, but kept from being swayed by the very people they should be watching, and kept from overstepping their bounds for the benefit of one company or another over the American people.

Economic Issues

It seems we have a debate here
Our Industrial power is ,indeed, detereoraiting. And i don't blame anyone of you i blame the Minister of Economy and Recovery and in smaller scale, i hate to admit it but, Mr. Jarvis.
If we want to recover the U.S.A then think of the population, they are the real workers, i go out every day and ask the citizens: What do you think about Mr. Jarvis
99% of them answer me like this:
"He is a good man! But if he doesnt lower the taxes, bad things are going to happen to this ol'country."
We can always rely on Tariffs, most of you think that if we lower the taxes, our money will dissapear, well that's the factories work! to generate profit.
And what are our factories doing now: Sitting and taking money that they don't deserve, if we continue like this, what will be of us.
I also think that the military should be cut, as we are in peace negotiaition times now.
This is not the Republican Party that i dreamed of.
-Maurice Horshington, Secretary of State

I also fear that equality will be found from government force or coercion; I agree with your ideals, but the best course is to avoid overusing government, favouring the private market when possible. A mixed education, which I campaigned on four years ago, and plan to more fully implement this term, focuses on opening the market to business and private schools, while being more able to fund public schools better, as well as providing opportunity for people to choose their child's education. On fighting corruption, I am certain we are all agreed that we will fight it wherever it is found, and with all our might; however, since there is corruption in the government, and their will always be corruption, how can we trust those dishonest bureaucrats and conniving politicians to properly regulate business? A few regulations can be maintained, as they require smaller bureaucracies, less money, and are more focused; however, the larger the programme, the more people involved (and less honest people, inevitably),more money is poured into it (and siphoned out of it), and tends to lose focus (and attempt to regulate more things). The regulatory commissions you talk about could one day be used to force foolish and irrational government mandates on companies, would become centres of corruption, and would undermine their once vaunted goals.

Moving to Mr. Sullivan, would you have declared war on every insurgent nations, rebel organisation, or uprising in Europe, and keep our boys overseas for another eight years? I did what I could without forcing us into another war, and overall I was successful; not as successful as I hoped, but America is secure, and is less apt to go to war. I did my best to ensure that Europeans will look after European affairs, and left Germany and Austria in fairly strong conditions. Had we formed a great and sprawling League of Nations, we would have footed the bill for the rest of the world, and would be compelled to give more men, more aid, and more of our independence over to a institution that would only have one American voice, countered by over a dozen European ones; we would have been drawn into the political squabbles of Europe, and and be forced to commit soldiers to their wars of folly and ambition.

And to answer you, Mr. Horshington, I have lowered taxes (I think, if I didn't, I plan to if the budget can handle it), something that I doubt either of my opponents advocate, or can possibly hope to do with their expanding bureaucracies. Tariffs, however, I also support lowered, down to a nominal one or two percent, to give government a small profit whilst assuring that the poorest citizens are not harmed in any way by superfluous government tax and spending,

Last edited:
With a heavy heart I withdraw my candidacy as an Independent for President. Circumstances within my family, particularly the death of my father Augustus Mandrake, mean that I must turn inward and concentrate on my family and business for a short time. The rigorous demands of an election campaign are more than my family can bear right now. I urge all those interested in the security and progress of our great nation, and that should be all Americans, to unite behind President Jarvis for another term so that we may continue our efforts to see a more peaceful and prosperous world. And I ask that President Jarvis redouble his efforts to see that meaningful reforms toward democratization are undertaken as soon as possible in Europe and elsewhere. The United States must not trust that these nations will democratize on their own - we must use our torch of freedom to light the way and apply a little heat as needed. Accordingly, I pledge my vote and support for President Jarvis of the Grand Old Republican Party, and it would be my pleasure to continue serving as Secretary for War should President Jarvis win his reelection.

In Service,
Walter Mandrake
Secretary for War

((In reality a mixture of the return from Afghanistan, jet lag, and getting settled back in have taken up my time and I have not been able to put forth a platform or participate as much as I would have liked, regretfully. I'm a little more settled now so in the next week or so I will be more involved.))

Thank you for your endorsement, and many condolences for your family, Mr. Senator.

With the Independents and Federals reduced to one candidate each, and Jarvis' lead in the Republican Primary pretty much unassailable, I'll call it.

The Polls are Closed.

Alicia Vallejo will be the Federal candidate.
Joseph P. Jarvis will be the Republican candidate.
Michael Sullivan will run as an independent (if he does not provide a name for the ticket, I will assume that he is endorsed by the Democratic Party).

Send me platforms ASAP.

It seems that one (or both) of the other parties seem to having problems drafting their platforms...

In the meantime, I want to say this; my last four years in office, unfortunately, were focused more on foreign policy rather than domestic issues; these next four years, if I am re-elected, will be marked as the beginning of a civil rights movement, dedicated to the ideals that were so pervasive during the founding of this nation, the notion that all men are created equal. For too long, that phrase has been hollow, and, like the other grand designs of our fathers, tossed by the wayside, both by the reactionary right, and the progressive left. Now, under a true liberal government, the ideas of equality, liberty, free markets, limited governments, and an honest government, will regain their once vaulting positions as their key pillars of our society. Unlike the Federals and Democrats, I support equality of opportunity, rather than having a comprehensive (and incredibly expensive) welfare state that will eventually bankrupt our nation! I support freedom of the markets, rather than have them bogged down by regulation, bureaucracy, and government corruption! I want a limited government, which will protect our rights, and our nation, but will not delve into a welfare state, an imperialist behemoth, or any for or tyranny, both at home and abroad! And from this, a free people, guaranteed a free market, and protected by a limited, precise government, we will have an honest government, transparent and kept in check by its limitations!

((The Federal one is done (and sent I assume) so it must be the Democrats))

((Sent mine in yesterday. BBB is probably just writing up the election post and having a real life.))

Ms. Vallejo: What is your standing in the Jim Crow subject?

Ms. Vallejo: What is your standing in the Jim Crow subject?
I believe that all Americans are equal by nature and by law - but there are definitely struggles we have as a society and government in acknowledging and acting on this. To work our way out of this, we need electoral reform that makes sure everyone is allowed a fair vote and that everyone's votes count - even regional minorities. Government transparency and guards against corruption are also essential, so that people can be fully informed of what their votes will be supporting.

Also, educational opportunities must be provided by a well checked and fair school system which encourages the poor and disadvantaged to attend, learn, and make a better future for themselves. The ability to negotiate fairly for wages and employment conditions without intimidation (and with basic concern for worker safety and health mandated already by law) gives another way for historically poor, minority, or otherwise disadvantaged people to empower themselves.

We can't do everything now, although we can try, but reforming the basics of society - providing disadvantaged peoples with stable and meaningful educations, humane working conditions and fair wages, and a way to make their voice heard clearly in elections are steps that will make all other actions toward supporting the equality we want for America easier. It is with carefully laid out reforms and policies that we will bring about change, not just with words and not just with ideological zeal and temporary actions - not that those are bad things when supporting equality, but that is not how permanent change ever happens.

I only just got the American Progressive platform yesterday, so the update will be up today.

Also, I am very disappointed at the disregard for my request to let Jim Crow be for the moment. We've already fast-tracked women's rights so much that we might have a female president in 1921, just a year after women were given the right to vote OTL, so I was hoping to save Jim Crow for post-WWII elections.

I'll allow you to discuss Jim Crow, but I warn you, do not expect to achieve anything more than raising an utter sh*tstorm from the South.

I only just got the American Progressive platform yesterday, so the update will be up today.

Also, I am very disappointed at the disregard for my request to let Jim Crow be for the moment. We've already fast-tracked women's rights so much that we might have a female president in 1921, just a year after women were given the right to vote OTL, so I was hoping to save Jim Crow for post-WWII elections.

I'll allow you to discuss Jim Crow, but I warn you, do not expect to achieve anything more than raising an utter sh*tstorm from the South.
((I'm imagining that all the discussion on Jim Crow laws happen to be in fundraisers and meetings with very progressive and non-Southern attendance rather than painted on their campaign posters everywhere (where it would more or less be ignored, perhaps even given some support if a candidate felt that the Southern base would be suspicious of their actions). The problem is that almost all characters are the type that would be in those meetings, so there's few people to respond to in the "Southern" strategy of speech. We haven't had a huge solid south demographic since the Civil War era. Maybe I'll pick up a character from that after Alicia retires, if the issue still persists.))

The Presidential Election of 1921

The National Conventions of 1921 proved to be relatively predictable affairs, with both major parties' candidates representing their respective party lines near perfectly, but for the fact that the Federal candidate was a woman. Alicia Vallejo came from a family that included three vice-presidents, including herself, and even a president, in the form of her older brother Daniel Vallejo. Of families that had had an impact on national politics, only the Jarvis dynasty could claim to match the Vallejos.
While at first the ”battle” between the two families that had almost always been on opposing sides of the political aisle seemed to be the story of the election, Michael Sullivan, Governor of Illinois, soon stole the stage with his creation of the American Progressive Party. Sullivan was a lifelong Democrat, and the press had often dubbed him the true successor to Hayden. Despite this, in 1921 he ran under another banner to avoid the stigma of being the candidate of a ”Ghost Party”.

sullivan.jpg

1. Michael Sullivan, founder of the American Progressive Party.​

Sullivan took to the national stage on a campaign run with donations from all social strata, from recent immigrants to socially aware millionaires. He grabbed the press with a seething rant denouncing of all the supposed ills of the nation, especially Jim Crow, and warning against leaving markets unregulated. Jarvis and Vallejo's campaigns were affected not by Sullivan seeming a threat, but every issue Sullivan touched on, the candidates would now have to talk about.

The Candidates/Tickets of 1921

The Election Manifesto of the Federal Party

Presidential Candidate: Alicia Vallejo
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Kevin McCahill​

Americans, let us make sure that peace and freedom perseveres - and that the American dream is available for all Americans, rich or poor, black or white, worker and industrialist. Let us return to clear policies promoting opportunity and financial security for the common man instead of partisan politics and 'gilded ages' of limited access to prosperity. Let us work together with other nations and form international bodies to discuss common causes of peace and justice rather than simply staying apathetic about the chaos of the world until it impacts us. Let us be for peace, liberty, and equality. These are the policies and ideals we can pursue to make a more perfect Union.

Internal Affairs:
Economic Policies:

- We believe that the economy should be governed by economic reality rather than partisan politics. Regulations should be continually considered and reformed in order to best protect the American worker from unfair or dangerous business practices while freeing up industry in places where the free market can best balance itself.
- We will support the creation of federal commissions to investigate and enforce against false advertising, deceptive labeling, and other kinds of fraud against consumers - as well as matters such as unsanitary food production or food adulteration.
- We will also create agencies to investigate business and financial fraud, and support the separation of investment and commercial banking - so as to keep the American worker from having to pay for the risks and tricks of banks.
- We support the creation of a Federal Deposit Insurance Commission to insure against the loss of American's investments and promote safe business practices by banks, so that workers do not have to fear about losing everything they own or having to run on banks to try to salvage their investments.
- We will continue to act against monopolistic and unfair business practices and regulate monopolistic forming mergers and price fixing.
- We support the collective bargaining power of American workers and their rights to negotiate with their employers together without intimidation. We will provide avenues for both sides to discuss matters fairly and peacefully without needing to resort to threats and strikes.

Social:

- We believe that education must be a free and equal opportunity for all Americans to better themselves. To this end we support strengthening our school system and promoting all reforms which can improve the quality of education and make sure that this is available for all Americans regardless of region or race.
- Also, we support providing more opportunities for more poor and disadvantaged Americans to gain scholarships and support to attend higher education and improve their situation by learning and hard work.
- We will work with local school systems to provide free school meals for poorer American children to reduce truancy and delinquency in our schools.
- We will charge the Department of the Interior with setting apart some of our nation's lands to preserve our natural resources, wilderness, and beauty for the enrichment of all future generations of Americans.
- We will support the ability for workers to take maternity leave and sick leave without risking their jobs (or their health and children).

Political:
- We believe that the electoral college should be abolished as a method for electing presidents in favor of proportional representation based on a supplementary vote system (each voter has two votes; if a candidate gets a majority of first choices, they win; if no candidate gets a majority of first choices, all but the leading two candidates are discounted and second votes are added to the total. The candidate with more votes in total wins. This gives a greater voice to third party candidates and independents and makes the vote more representative of the overall population's desire rather than geographical inequalities.)
- We will create an open register of representatives interests and funding to give greater transparency to their constituents.
- We will create a neutral federal commission to watch for corruption in the actions of government officials.
- We will create independent inspectorates to ensure that tax dollars are not wasted with the nation's public amenities (e.g. Police and education)

World Affairs:
International Relations:
- We stand against tyranny and imperialism around the world and support all peoples who aim to live peacefully and work to democratic ideals and the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We will not avoid diplomacy and cooperative solutions to diffuse tensions, promote self governance, and keep peace in the world.
- We will work to cooperate diplomatically with other democracies and nations around the world looking for representative government.
- We will cooperate with the Commonwealth and the League of Independent States on mutual goals for peace, free trade, industrial development (and redevelopment in the war torn areas of Europe and China), and democracy.
- We will support the formation of a convention of nations to discuss matters peacefully and arbitrate conflicts throughout the world fairly and openly.

Military Policies:

- We believe that our military must be kept up to date with technology, but in peacetime like this we do not need to divert so much resources away from our own people. We will continue to move back to a peacetime military that can defend us and support our allies and overseas trade but which does not take so many young men and tax dollars away from the American people.
- We will task agencies to watch for careless spending and unnecessary waste in the military, as well as discrimination and harmful practices, to make for an efficient and modern defense force.
- We will continue support for veterans from the war, especially those injured, to reintegrate them into a peacetime society where needed - education in particular is important.

The Election Manifesto of the Republican Party

Presidential Candidate: Joseph P. Jarvis
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Simon Ritter​

These past four years, the Republican Party has led the United States our of a great and terrible war, and into prosperity; if it is given four more years, the Party will fight for meaningful reform, civil rights, and will continue to oppose any military actions against nations that pose no threat or interest to America.

On the economic front, taxes and tariffs will be maintained or lowered, depending on their current levels, to promote more prosperity and let people keep more of their money. The Federal Reserve will be abolished, should Congress vote in favour of the legislation to be presented, to ensure that our currency remains strong and free from the interests of only a few; in its place, a gold/silver standard will be written into law, to ensure that the value of American currency remains strong and vibrant. Regulations on industry and finance will be rolled back, and will focus on preventing and fighting corruption, ensuring workers are not abused, and fighting monopolies or harmful mergers. These measures, along with a strong free market, will continue to promote economic growth and prosperity, and will do more to make the poor and middle classes richer than any government handout offered by the Federals or Democrats.

Concerning military matters, the course will largely be the same; America will oppose involving itself in wars of imperialism or other justifications for violence and conquest, instead favouring the use of diplomacy and cooperation with other nations to bring about a more peaceful society. European wars will remain European wars, and America will only become involved if the security or the freedom of American citizens becomes threatened. In Latin America, the United States will take a more active role, encouraging a similar League of Americas States to help reconcile differences and conflicts in the Americas; this more limited, and local form of a League of Nations will be more able to address American concerns rather than the global League, which would have been bogged down in Asian or European affairs. The League will be open to any American nation, but will be more fully discussed and fleshed out at a later time. On the state of the military, the current levels will be maintained, as America has a secure force, and now needs the Armed Forces to largely serve in a more domestic role, to be examined in the next sections.

On social issues, the Republican Party stands squarely in favour of civil rights, and under a second Jarvis administration, they will be more firmly addressed than the last four years. The Federal Party has been shying away from directly commenting on how to bring about meaningful changes, without drastically increasing government power, while the Democratic Party is far too extreme, and would likely bring a backlash on any real changes they made. The Republican Party has shown restraint in expanding government, but has already made the first moves towards racial equality. These next four years, the rights already guaranteed to all American citizens will be enforced stringently, by the Army if necessary.

The Election Manifesto of the American Progressive Party

Presidential Candidate: Michael Sullivan
Vice-Presidential Candidate: Maurice Horshington​

My name is Michael Sullivan and it is my privilege to run for President of the United States of America under the banner of the American Progressive Party.

As the Progressive candidate, it is my goal to unite America, to provide a third way for those who are weary of Federal military adventurism and those who seek to defend vital social programs from anti-government Republicans. If elected President, I will establish a domestic policy that ensures equality and justice for all Americans, regardless of race, gender, or social class. I will institute strong regulations on financial institutions to ensure that the American worker is not the one who suffers for the rampant speculation and borrowing being done by a rich and powerful few. I will work with labor unions and farmers' co-operatives to guarantee that profits earned by the sweat and toil of the common man do not end up entirely in the pockets of the land barons and the factory owners. Above all, if I am elected President, I promise peace, prosperity, and fairness. Vote Progressive, the third way forward!

Foreign Policy

I believe that we must leave Europe to Europeans and focus on our domestic constituency and mending relationships with the South American nations. The ongoing free-for-all in South America is to the detriment of its people and to the Americas as a whole. To this end, I propose the creation of an Organization of American States, a diplomatic forum and co-operative network of American republics designed to strengthen ties between the nations in North and South America. Only when North America and South America stand united together can we prevent the spread of European conflicts into the New World.

Workers' Rights
Ever since my first term in the Illinois House of Representatives, I have been a staunch advocate of workers' rights, and my fight for fairness and justice for the working man will only be redoubled in the Oval Office. We must defend those protections already in place and go even further, to ensure that the rich and the powerful do not become the feudal lords of long ago, wielding absolute power over voiceless serfs and victimized peasants. I support a Constitutional amendment guaranteeing every worker in the United States the right to form or join a union, as well as the right to strike, without retribution by factory bosses or landowners.

Jim Crow
Jim Crow must end. This is a fundamental, self-evident truth known to all but the handful profiting from the disenfranchisement of the black man in the South. This is a struggle that was ended long ago during the Civil War and distracts from the true conflict being waged between the working man and the elite. If elected President, I will use the full powers of the executive branch to enforce the lawful protections granted to members of all races and creeds.

Corporate Regulation

I've spoken on this theme several times, and I still know it to be true: If we do not institute strong, enforceable regulations on financial institutions and stock-market speculators, we will see an economic crash unprecedented in our history. The current economic bubble is nothing more than the facade of progress; while the American worker's assets appear to be growing rapidly in value, our country's value as a whole is actually shrinking. The rest of the world is embroiled in chaos and financial meltdowns, and no vast expansion of industry or resources has occurred to indicate where all this money is coming from. The truth is simple: financiers and speculators are creating false growth through massive, reckless borrowing. As President, I will grant our financial regulators greater oversight authority and institute strong new laws curbing this culture of debt, so that the working man does not suffer from the greed of a few.

-------------------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

None as far as I know. Vote please.

Last edited:
((As the Progressives don't have a VP candidate, will their tally be deducted one until a candidate is selected, or should the other VP candidates vote instead?))

((Another chance of being VP wasted))

((As the Progressives don't have a VP candidate, will their tally be deducted one until a candidate is selected, or should the other VP candidates vote instead?))

One vote will be deducted until a candidate is selected, which means Kaiser still has a chance to be VP. ;)

((Yayyyyyy!!!!!!!, thanks BBB))
I will vote for Michael Sullivan and therefore willing to be M. Sullivan's Vice-President.
-Maurice Horshington. Secretary of State,(( if i don't get fired of course))