• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Extracts from a speech made by Federal Candidate Sec K McCahill to supporters two days after the result was announced

"Firstly, I would like to thank all of you who supported my campaign and my ideals and voted for me earlier this week. It is this support that will allow us to champion social reform, equality and fairness over the coming term, providing a muscular opposition to challenge the government. It is this support that will ensure the Federal message of justice and stability will be continued. It is this support that will allow the Federal party to retake the White House in four years time."

"Our loss reflects a failure on my part to sway from moral intransigence. Proclaiming my core beliefs in equality and against discrimination has lost us the South. However, I feel that this is rather a virtue of our party; we are the moral crusaders who champion fairness, we are the incorruptibles who will not fall to lobbyists and special-interests, we are the party who is honest with itself and with the public."

"Over the coming term, I hope to lead the charge in defence of the poor, the unemployed, the crippled and the aged. We shall defend the rights of those who cannot pay for themselves against the coming onslaught. It is up to us to do all we can to restrain the madness of dismantling a system that has helped so many. Over the coming term, I hope to continue the pressure for social and political reform. Over the coming term, I hope to work with the government to ensure that the peace proposals are as fair as possible. Over the coming term, I will challenge the perception that the opposition have no power or influence. Over the coming term, I will carry the message of what it means to be a Federal into the midterm elections and beyond."

Congratulations President Elect Jarvis! May your presidency see the continued growth of American prosperity and industry! May the unwashed masses flood to our gates to earn the American Dream, and may their sons and daughters populate our educated ranks! May we create a world where peace and reason lead the charge, not war and chaos!

I look forward to a debt forgiveness plan on Europe. I even look forward to low interest loans to Europe to help prop up the Democracies from falling to radicalism. We must ensure stability exists, not chaos by demanding more than Europe can give.

And I look forward to the relaxation of some of the War Time America Laws. Some welfare is welcome, too much will encroach on the freedoms of the common citizen who helped fight in the Hawk's war. Let us allow people the freedom to live, I will vote on that law.

And do not let private interest groups get in the way of the presidency. This debate about the Jim Crow Laws, it is only a side distraction. The South should realize that they do not run America, neither does the North East, nor the West, we are a consortium of nations bound by Federal Law. I hope, Mr. President, you will see how all citizens must have equal freedoms in our glorious nation. Just because some uppity individual claiming spokesmanship from the South says otherwise, does not make it correct.

Three Cheers for President Jarvis!

Mr. President Elect,

I hope you will remember the disabled, the wounded and those who are throw out of work due to conditions beyond their control. Having a laissez faire economy may lead to increased industrial production but it also leads to more workers who will be out of work as factories open and close. Eliminating the welfare state for the unemployed and disabled is a cruel thing to do to those that are suffering. We can have a strong and free economy while also protecting those in need. Our nation can afford to reduce the suffering of its citizens while also prospering.

Patrick Ryan

I will not forget them, Mr. Ryan, as they do indeed need some form of assistance. It is that sentiment, a free economy and protecting those not aided by capitalism; that will be the course of our nation for the next four years.
I also see some merit in pensions, but I want them to be more limited; I oppose government run healthcare entirely, and other reforms that put the government in control of the market.

I agree with a debt forgiveness policy; it will help quicken the recovery in Europe and hopefully bring all sides together for the European League. And the war powers granted to the president will be revoked, you can be assured of that.

"I congratulate Mr.Jarvis, i hope that your rule should be fruitful for our country, i would like also to inform you that you could say that i am a good industry man so you may employ me ,it is ,whatsoever, your choice!"
Maurice Horshington , elected Mr.Jarvis in the elections

Last edited:
My heartfelt congratulations to Mr. Jarvis, and a fitting honor for the Jarvis family, which has had a long and warm relationship with my family. I wish you all the best, and am sure you will use sound judgment in guiding our nation in the future. Whatever I, or the Mandrake family may provide to support you, simply ask and we shall help.

I am pleased to announce that I won the election of Senator for the State of Indiana in a landslide decision, and I look forward to serving my homestate and our nation. I will never compromise the lofty ideas our nations stands for, and will do the utmost to aid my constituents and our great homeland.

Senator Walter Mandrake

((Bad news, I'm going to Florida for five days tomorrow and won't have any internet access. Fortunately, I can probably get make all my appointments (if the people are online), and do all that, but I won't be able to any big decisions for that time.))

Thank you both for your support, Senator Mandrake and Mister Horshington. Your interest in such a position is duly noted, sir. I would also like to ask the recently elected Senator if he would like to be made Secretary of War; he has many years of military experience, and would make a superb secretary. I would ask him in private, but he and I cannot make proper correspondence.

Congratulations Mr. Jarvis! Hopefully this term will be of economic growth and international peace.

((What are all the cabinet positions I need to fill? I have War, Treasury, Interior, and State planned out, but I think I'm missing one or two.))

((Sorry about the inbox issue))

While it indeed pains me to have to decline the results of my election, I feel I must go where I can make the greatest impact, and I also can't decline such a generous offer from an old friend. I will accept the position of Secretary of War.

((What are all the cabinet positions I need to fill? I have War, Treasury, Interior, and State planned out, but I think I'm missing one or two.))
((The only other ones I can remember [which don't always get filled with player characters] are:
Department of Citizenship (deals with immigration, Native American reservations/rights/relations, and might handle part of the education system?*)
Department of Industry (deals with labor issues, anti-monopoly/corruption/cartel/etc. stuff, safety regulations maybe? It's also handling government lead efforts in industry for the war effort - so its Secretary will be dealing with the withdrawal process from its positions in a lot of industries as its mandate there ends as legislated.)
Department of Justice (Attorney General - rarely gets a player character)
Postmaster General :p

*Also, long ago was the home of the Secret Service and all that cloak and dagger stuff. That's long gone, though... or so they would have us believe.))

((The only other ones I can remember [which don't always get filled with player characters] are:
Department of Citizenship (deals with immigration, Native American reservations/rights/relations, and might handle part of the education system?*)
Department of Industry (deals with labor issues, anti-monopoly/corruption/cartel/etc. stuff, safety regulations maybe? It's also handling government lead efforts in industry for the war effort - so its Secretary will be dealing with the withdrawal process from its positions in a lot of industries as its mandate there ends as legislated.)
Department of Justice (Attorney General - rarely gets a player character)
Postmaster General :p

*Also, long ago was the home of the Secret Service and all that cloak and dagger stuff. That's long gone, though... or so they would have us believe.))

((At one point, I was in charge of some kind of volunteer position, but I forget the name of it. It was under Harrison.))

((The Secretary of Industry is also President of the National Work Board, which was supposed to be improving safety standards before it was given control over the workforce for the purposes of war. Some irony there I'm sure.))

The Department of Volunteers, founded in 1901 for a national oversight of State Volunteer Services, still exists.

((Can someone please tell the current filled cabinet positions))

I announce that I have been selected by our great president-elect to represent the nation as foreign ambassador to Europe, hopefully to calm down the war ambient. He has made a great choice, as I have always been a pacifist and I opposed this war from the first day. I will make my best to prevent any hardships with our former enemies, and as I promised in my failed presidential campaign, I will attempt to improve our relations with them as to avoid further conflicts. However, foreign policy is determined by our president and we must hear him. I know he will do a great job!

-Ambassador Carlsson

((nooooooooooooooooo))

((Well I'm back, so come this afternoon, I can do anything that needs to be done.))

I believe I have filled all the cabinet positions (at least the ones I wish to fill) and have my goals sent to the Congressional leaders. I hope that the two peace Ambassadors, Mr. Carlsson, representing the Republicans, and Mr. McCahill representing the Federals, will ensure that both sides are granted a place at the great forum of our age.

If the plans I have proposed have not been presented in due time (this afternoon, after I get some sleep), I will print a newsletter with both my inaugural address and my appointments.

Secretary of State: Maurice Horshington (Kaisersohaib)
Secretary of the Treasury: William Taggarmen (Zagoroth)
Secretary of War: Walter Mandrake (Marshal Daub)
Secretary of the Interior: Bartholomew Little (LeeroyJenkins)
Secretary of Industry: John T. Sherman (Seek75)
Ambassador to the Peace Negotiations: Kevin McCahill (theAhawk)
Ambassador to the Peace Negotiations: William Carlsson (Kinguter)

On economic and social matters, I want to cut taxes (to a flat rate of 10%, 5% if possible). I will cut back pensions slightly, and maintain unemployment aid and safety standards; the rest will be cut back significantly. Education will move slightly to a more privatised, competitive system (a move towards vouchers, but still maintaining the public system) ((which means very little in game)). I will support the repeal of Jim Crow laws, and will use the Secretary of the Interior as an instrument for that. However, I will oppose the federal government regulating business, and instead encourage the states to do so. As well, I will appoint pro-Civil Rights judges.

Militarily, I will cut the army down, the extent of which to be determined by the Secretary of War (I would suggest 50%, but will defer to his judgement). The navy will be maintained, as will the airforce. Defence spending will also be reduced by probably 25% (again, deferring to the Secretary of War).

On foreign policy, I will oppose American membership in a League of Nations, though I won’t oppose the creation of such a League. Largely follow what I proposed in the peace negotiations at the start of the election, and proposals agreed upon by the two Ambassadors. Joining any institute will be granted to Congress. For war itself, America will not join wars, and will only fight if attacked. Unlike other presidents, I demand Congress to formally declare war, rather than grant me the power to, like Cameron and Carr.

---------------

Inaugural Address of Joseph Patrick Jarvis (5 March 1917)

Today, this cool March morning, represents the passing of the torch from the previous administration to one led by the poor man standing here before you, who swore to both the citizens of this nation, and to Almighty God, the same sacred oath our forefathers uttered a century and a quarter ago. The great people of this grand nation, built on the principles of liberty and justice, on the ideals of republicanism, federalism, and, above all, freedom, has chosen me to serve them in our nation’s highest office.

I must say that I feel wholly unprepared, and fearful for what the future will hold, and what historians and scholars will say of my actions over the course of the next four years. However, despite my own fears and reservations, I have no doubt about the spirit of this nation, of the determination of her people, and of the beauty and potency of her ideals; nor do I fearfully ponder the future of Europe, for I know that, if I achieve even a fraction of what I intend to during my term in office, America will be stronger, freer, and securer, and this beauteous ideals of liberty and justice will stand firm, tall, and, above all, safe.

We, as a nation, as a grand family spanning the breadth and width of this continent, from the cool Atlantic breezes that hit Boston in the morning, to the sandy beaches of San Diego, and the shining sun that shimmer across the Pacific, have suffered greatly over the course of this great and terrible war. Many millions of our sons and daughters have died or been grievously harmed in the course of this divisive conflict. These coming months, I, and the delegation I have hitherto mentioned, will work to create a lasting peace in Europe, and ensure that America remains free from recourse and from the unenviable position of policing the world.

This, I promise to you, and to the world; America will not become the great constable of the world, nor does she have the desire to act in such a manner.

Before I put an end to this speech and head to the Executive Manor for the Inaugural Ball, I have only one last thing to say; Thank you, all of you, for your support, for your service to this nations, and for giving me the opportunity to serve as your President.

Last edited:
Here here, Mr. President! A strong foundation for a free society, and a peaceful world you laid out here.

And I am honored to become your Secretary of the Treasury.