• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I vote Aye to both the WEA and the ACA

I vote Aye on the ACA.

However, I will abstain from voting on the WEA.

My reasons for doing so are an opposition to Article II, and a belief that Article V should be used to achieve the objectives of Article III by investing in private enterprise's re-purposing of said sites for the war effort instead of having government take over. More importantly, Mr. President, does Article I translate into more strictly overseen government orders of arms and ammunition, or effective nationalization of industries?

More strictly overseen, no nationalization. Aye to both. May I say that I believe whole-heartedly that these acts are undeniably necessary for the swift conclusion of this war. Our nation must become an army, our entire industry being its logistics.

I vote Nay to the WEA and the ACA. Both acts infringe greatly on the liberties of the American people. The government must not take control of our industries and force its citizens to fight unless the nation is directly threatened. We are under no threat and should not be invading nations on other continents.

Senator Johnson- Illinois- Republican

No to both bills. I agree completely with the good Senator from Illinois.

Yay to both!

War Economy Act: Aye - Modern wars are fought in the factories and workshops of the world. It is essential to keep effective production of necessary goods in a fair and peaceful manner.
American Conscription Act: Abstain

War Economy Act: Abstain. As previously stated, I oppose the anti-labor clause in Article II as wholly un-American and counter to the rights handed down by the First Amendment. Even time of war does not justify the suspension of such a critical right without compensation or compromise. Should the text of Article II be revised, I may be inclined to change my position.

American Conscription Act: Nay. Nothing more needs to be said on this topic, save that I hope this bill dies and returns to the hell from which it came.

Aye to the War Economy Act. I am uneasy about Article II, but industrial action could cripple the war effort. I abstain on the ACA.

All this talk of inalienable rights being trampled is idealism. When an individual lives in this nation, enjoys its prosperity and the benefits of its society, there should be an obligation to defend this nation in its time of need. That's the price we pay for not having compulsory service for all males. Despite this, I think to smooth over any concerns, volunteers should be sought as the first plan of action rather than immediate conscription, and then if not enough servicemen are available, then the draft should be considered. Recruitment posters should be placed throughout cities and advertisements placed in newspapers. Basic training, in my opinion, should be no less than five weeks to ensure our soldiers are prepared for the rigors of war on a modern battlefield. We should still require immediate registration with the draft office for all able-bodied males of appropriate age in preparation of this event.

Major General Walter Mandrake

If protecting the God-given of all men is called idealism, then this Republic is surely on the road to ruin; if the principles and ideals this nation was built upon are being abandoned all because of a foreign war we should never have gotten involved in, then this great nation has gone down the path of those Empire's we claim to hate so much; we are an Empire unto ourselves, and act with such haughtiness and high-handedness that we have, and will continue to, alienate the rest of the world.

We interfered in Prussia, creating Germany, and leading to this entire mess. We interfered in Spain and France, weakening the French and allowing Germany to further expand its continental power, and expand our influence in Latin America, which led to the Santiago Pact. Our adventurism and foolishness across the globe has come back to bite us, but reason will not be listened to, since we continue on this path of grandiose imperialism, under the guise of liberty.

I vote Aye to both bills.
K McCahill

((I think the problem was to do with a fault registering the game...))

If protecting the God-given of all men is called idealism, then this Republic is surely on the road to ruin; if the principles and ideals this nation was built upon are being abandoned all because of a foreign war we should never have gotten involved in, then this great nation has gone down the path of those Empire's we claim to hate so much; we are an Empire unto ourselves, and act with such haughtiness and high-handedness that we have, and will continue to, alienate the rest of the world.

We interfered in Prussia, creating Germany, and leading to this entire mess. We interfered in Spain and France, weakening the French and allowing Germany to further expand its continental power, and expand our influence in Latin America, which led to the Santiago Pact. Our adventurism and foolishness across the globe has come back to bite us, but reason will not be listened to, since we continue on this path of grandiose imperialism, under the guise of liberty.

Those defeats were because the unwillingness of our ancestors to grasp for greatness. Times are changing. Now we will hit our enemies so hard, that they will never recover.

If they never recover, what will happen to their people? Eternal poverty and suffering?

Your definition of greatness is my definition of tyranny, madness, and imperialism, Mr. Nightmore.

You are preaching to the choir, my friend. I agree with you that adventurism has lead us down this path, but now it cannot be helped and things must be done. But if conscription in times of need is the price we must pay to ensure that our sons are not forced into compulsory service for a tyrant to expand his territory, then I feel it is a small price. If we can do some good and see democracy bloom in Europe after this misfortune, then it is a worthy sacrifice for freedom.

You are preaching to the choir, my friend. I agree with you that adventurism has lead us down this path, but now it cannot be helped and things must be done. But if conscription in times of need is the price we must pay to ensure that our sons are not forced into compulsory service for a tyrant to expand his territory, then I feel it is a small price. If we can do some good and see democracy bloom in Europe after this misfortune, then it is a worthy sacrifice for freedom.

You are not paying the price, nor are you making the sacrifice, so how can you deem it small or worthy? I assure you, to a farmer or a factory worker, their lives mean a great deal indeed. If they wish to fight for European democracy, they are more than capable of enlisting in the regular Army and volunteering for a post in France. Conscription, itself a form of tyranny, exists because rich and powerful men who want to see change implemented by force are unwilling to take up a conscript's post themselves, so they require it of the working man, who lacks the power or influence to avoid such a fate.

Will the illustrious members of our draft board be fighting on the front line in Alsace and Lorraine? Will the generals and politicians be in the trenches, rifle in hand, to meet the artillery and the charge? No, of course not; their lives are far too important to be wasted on something trivial like dying for their country. Best to let the working man do it for them.

This is not a fight for our nation's survival. This is not a war of necessity. This is a European conflict, a war on the other side of the world. No American's life was directly imperiled by the conflict between the Entente and the Tripartite, no American soil was threatened with invasion, until we made it so through diplomatic entanglement. Now, those same powerful men who tied America's fate with those of Britain and France want the working man to give up his life to see those deals through? I refuse to accept this. I will not see the United States and its people crucified on a cross of blood and iron at the whim of politicians and corporate presidents, and I call on all men and women of character to fight this bill with me!