• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think this shows that Americans realize they need to handle their business in their own backyard before we go messing around with the Crowned Kings of Europe.
And what about the democratic people of Europe?

Excuse me, but I seem to have lost the sense of time. What year is it?
It is 1912. Here, have a newspaper with today's exact date ((not really)) and relevant in-the-future famously historical headline on it. ((I'm on to you, time traveler.))

((Is it too late to join "The Presidents"?, I've been reading this on and off for the last week and now deciding to comment))

((It's never too late! Welcome! :D))

While I do hold a love for democracy and liberty, I have a feeling of helplessness about Europe. These people will sadly have to be tormented by dictators, until their regimes fall because of economic stagnation while we prosper in overseas trade and national industry. While I do not support war in Europe, I am every day more convinced that we must attack Perú. Why Perú and not Europe? Because Europe is the kings' backyard, and the Americas is ours. Peru is the first nation to fall to communism in this continent, if we do not defend democracy in the continent then soon all governments of the area will fall and our economy won't be sustainable with our national resources and our government will fall too. If we keep the latin american nations democratic, we will keep ourselves democratic. It's not a matter of political ideologies, but a mere economical problem.

simply put:

Liberal Democratic Latin America = Free Trade with the US = Prosperity and Development in the US and the Americas.

Communist Peru -> communism spreads to his neighboors = communist latin america = a latin america that doesn't trade = a poor US -> a very unstable US -> a communist USA

((Is it too late to join "The Presidents"?, I've been reading this on and off for the last week and now deciding to comment))
((Never too late.))

While I do hold a love for democracy and liberty, I have a feeling of helplessness about Europe. These people will sadly have to be tormented by dictators, until their regimes fall because of economic stagnation while we prosper in overseas trade and national industry. While I do not support war in Europe, I am every day more convinced that we must attack Perú. Why Perú and not Europe? Because Europe is the kings' backyard, and the Americas is ours. Peru is the first nation to fall to communism in this continent, if we do not defend democracy in the continent then soon all governments of the area will fall and our economy won't be sustainable with our national resources and our government will fall too. If we keep the latin american nations democratic, we will keep ourselves democratic. It's not a matter of political ideologies, but a mere economical problem.

simply put:

Liberal Democratic Latin America = Free Trade with the US = Prosperity and Development in the US and the Americas.

Communist Peru -> communism spreads to his neighboors = communist latin america = a latin america that doesn't trade = a poor US -> a very unstable US -> a communist USA
A communist nation will still need new supplies and materials, and must still trade. Their rhetoric elsewise is a bit hyperbolic. Plus, Carr already... intervened in Peru.

((Also, updated summary timeline))

Last edited:
A communist nation will still need new supplies and materials, and must still trade. Their rhetoric elsewise is a bit hyperbolic. Plus, Carr already... intervened in Peru.

But that won't prevent them from nationalizing all American corporations that have their offices inside their national boundaries. They would still confiscate american property and harm our corporations and enterprises. They will have a severe lack of competition and will tend to have a system that is based in national industry, with heavy tariffs..

Name: Seamus Écossais

Born: 1886 (22 years of age)

Background: A Canadian Scot-Quebecois born on the border of Quebec and Ontario in 1886, moved to Michigan in 1900 with his Mother and Father for work. Strongly attracted to politics from a young age, he views most of the modern parties with distaste. He has strong Liberal tendencies, hardheadness and flaming red hair. He seems to have large plans for the politics of Michigan, if not on a federal level.

((I'm going to have a smashing time, I think))

All peoples of the United States of America, I protest this election, not on the loving and guided principles of democracy, but on the basis of the parties involved. The parties are too embroiled in facturous bickering that are allowing the downtrodden people of South America and Europe to go on being downtrodden! The German and Russian Crowns simply use their serfs as chess pieces in some mediocre game, and do not treat them as people, as humans that live, breathe and love. Both the Federal and Conservitive Parties reject responsiblity, both flopping and flipping like so much floatsam in Lake Ontario. The Democrats are so weak that they cannot even put forward a candidate! I would advocate a third way, but the Democrats have obviously failed on this account.

I call upon all freedom-loving Americans, all the true citizens of the Republic, a Republic formed under the basis of Freedom and Responsiblity, created out from under Tyrannic Rule, to reject both parties.

I shall, in the coming years, seek to create or reform a party, the true party, that will represent the freedoms and rights inherent to all that inhabit this green globe we live on.

I shall also be running as governor of Michigin.

Sincerly, Seamus Écossais

Mr. Écossais, I beg to remind you that the American Conservative Party no longer exists. There are three parties in this nation, The Federal Party, The Republican Party, and the Entente Party. If these should hold together, I don't think there will be much, if any chance for another party to emerge.

Everyone,

Now that I'm done with mobilizing and am settled in Afghanistan, I'd like to return to activity in the forum and partcipate in the last few decades of the Republic. I'm behind the curve since I don't have much time to read the thread, so is there a chronicle of everything I've missed since my term? I'll make a new character soon and am looking forward to participating again with all my old colleagues and opponents.

Former President and General-in-Chief Maximilian Mandrake

Mr. Écossais, perhaps the Entente Party, and the dominant interventionist lobby of the Federalist Party are not as present in Michigan. However, they both would seem to be what you're looking for, or at least a good place to start.
Everyone,

Now that I'm done with mobilizing and am settled in Afghanistan, I'd like to return to activity in the forum and partcipate in the last few decades of the Republic. I'm behind the curve since I don't have much time to read the thread, so is there a chronicle of everything I've missed since my term? I'll make a new character soon and am looking forward to participating again with all my old colleagues and opponents.

((You could read the Recap from wherever you last remember to now. It's not that detailed, but it gets most stuff down, and it's now updated to 1912ish - although it doesn't include the most recent ongoing primary.))

Everyone,

((Hello, Old Friend! :D You've missed a bit, like the GOP dieing, and just recently being reborn. The Democrats and Federalists are probably(if they haven't already) going to merge, and the new Entente (or Patriotic Party, maybe) is supporting getting involved in Europe. Oh, and we had a commie president...))

It's good to be back! Sad to see the Republicans imploded... we'll have to see what we can do to remedy that in the last bit of this AAR. I need to put some thought into a new character... meanwhile, it's been such a long time and Mandrake never received an obituary, so:

Excerpt, Indianapolis Star, October 30, 1912

On this day in his beloved home state, former President of the United States and General-in-Chief of the Army, Maximilian Mandrake, departed this earthly world for the Lord's Kingdom at the blessed age of 94. He will be remembered for selfless service to his nation as a soldier and President. He served with distinction during the Mexican-American War, and rose quickly through the ranks during the War Between the States to eventually become General-in-Chief of the Army. In 1874, he joined the Republican Party and ran for President, serving one term by his own choice. His administration will be remembered as one that established a cherished golden age in American history. He is survived by two sons and nine grand children. He will be buried in Crown Hill Cemetery, Indianapolis with full military honors.

Last edited:
Callin' it.

Polls are closed.

The Republican Candidate will be David Hensdale.
The Federal Candidate will be T. H. Terrance.
The Entente Candidate will be Jerry Nightmore.

Get Platforms to me ASAP.

Introducing my new character:

Name: Walter Augustus Mandrake

Walter Mandrake was born to Augustus Mandrake, the son of Former President Maximilian Mandrake, in 1875 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Walter's father continued the family business, the Mandrake Armory, which manufactured small arms for the military. As a child, Walter studied gunsmithing under his grandfather, but his father Augustus was more content running the business than designing weapons. From 1893-1897, Walter studied engineering at Purdue University, and upon graduation returned to the family business. His grandfather, a former General-in-Chief of the Army, encouraged him to join the military, and in 1899 Walter received a commission in the Indiana National Guard as a lieutenant of artillery due to his specialized knowledge as an armorer and the obvious political connections.

During the Chinese War, Walter, now a captain, was requested by the Army to travel to China as a foreign observer and attache. He spent two years in China, where his battlefield observations pushed him to develop theories on artillery firepower and the use of combined arms in conflicts. While there, he also witnessed the brutality of the monarchies of Europe and Asia and became strongly nationalist and pro-democracy almost to a fault. During the intervention in Peru, he accepted a commission in the Regular Army as a captain, where he commanded an artillery battery through numerous battles. He mustered out of the Regular Army as a Major, while remaining in the National Guard and receiving the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Upon returning to Indiana in 1910, he helped design the .45 caliber Mandrake Automatic Pistol, which was adopted by the Army as the standard sidearm.

While his father concentrated on the family business, in 1912 Walter considered following his grandfather's path in politics by running for Governor of the state of Indiana. However, with the world's political situation leading to a possibility of war, Walter felt the draw of service again and took a new commission in the Regular Army as a Lieutenant Colonel in the 3rd Field Artillery Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division. He is extremely nationalist and a believer in American exceptionalism. He loathes the power politics and alliances of the Old World, and has future ambitions in politics.

WalterMandrake.jpg

Lieutenant Colonel Walter Mandrake, in uniform circa 1912.

Last edited:
Welcome, Governor Mandrake! I hope you and I will work as well as your father and my grandfather did.

As well, I must ask, when shall the ballots be ready for the general election?

As well, I must ask, when shall the ballots be ready for the general election?

Whenever I get the platforms, of which I only have the Entente copy.