• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Regardless of our political viewpoints, I believe we can all agree that in the face of this more aggresive world we now live in that the expansion of our armed forces to defend ourselves and our allies should be a top prioity.

I'm of the opinion that if there were to be a war, Commonwealth or not, we would enter the war eventually. We stand as the greatest power on an ever smaller Earth, isolationism is not an option any more. The United Kingdom is quite simply the strongest ally we have, particularly when South America is still not fully in-line with us. A Commonwealth Alliance is the best way to avoid war, the Emperors would be insane to challenge it. And if war were to break out regardless of our efforts it would offer us the best platform to win it quickly and decisively.

If anything will cause war Mr Jarvis.....isolationism will!

((Do we have Old Age Pensions yet? Gloa your inbox is full.))

Last edited:
Free trade, open diplomacy, impartiality, these are not isolationist, Mr. Terrance. Warmongering, imperialism, and militarism is!

If we work for peace, and remain unbiased on the world stage, who will we alienate? If we have a strong navy, who can attack us? Our armies can be fielded easily and quickly, so having a large force at all times is simply a waste of funds, and creates a military industrial complex that will dominate our government (I cite the reforms of Gaius Marius and the rise a standing legionary army with the expansion of Roman imperialism, and the eventual downfall of the Republic as an example).

Peace will not cause war. Trade will not cause war. And staying out of other nation's business will certainly not cause war!

How do you propose we trade when all our partners in the world are at war?! How do you propose we trade when protectionism is rampant?! How do you propose we trade when the nations of Europe have each other under blockade?!

We are both in favour of free trade, and yet you reject the most important and successful free trade agreement we have; The Commonwealth.

Why would we enter a war that has little to no meaning to the United States, or even to our hemisphere? Let Europe fall apart. They are stuck in their own unenlightened dark age, they are a shadow of the past, a continent of tyrants and warlords viciously fighting to keep their dying feudal system from falling apart and leaving them without any power.

Instead we should keep our eyes here, in the New World, where differing thoughts and opinions are not punished viciously but are celebrated, where one is free to pursue their own destiny at their leisure, rather than that of some monarch.

I reject the Commonwealth because it ties to Europe and to the whim of petty kings and leaders, who want to play general with real people at stake.

My method of protecting our free trade with nations is this; in the event of war, we cannot be blockaded. Let's say for example, Britain and Germany go to war. When we try to trade with Germany, the British navy stops our vessels. In return, we limit, or stop, trading with Britain for the duration of the war, or perhaps longer. Will it hurt our economy? A little, yes. But will we get forced into a war, which would ravage our economy? No.

By freeing our trade, and pushing for open trade with each nation, we can work out agreements with other nations, to better ensure a fair trading policy between both nations involved.

The American people do not want their sons to die as pawns in a power struggle between European monarchs. The people of this nation came to America to to get away from the monarchs and ancient rivalries of Europe. We should not send their children back to die in a European war.

Senator William Howard Johnson - Illinois (ACP)

I am both shocked and dismayed by this talk of pushing for the Germans and Russians to create and independent Polish state. The Poles have been within the matrimony of the German and Russian domains for over a century now, and are as much a part of their society as the Native Americans, Mexicans, New Englanders, or Southerners are within ours. If we push for the Kaiser and Czar to create an independent Polish state, what will stop them and the rest of the world from justly calling for Congress and the President to create and independent Native American state? Or an independent New England the likes of which Mr Howard had once called for? Or even for the Confederate States to once again attempt independence? We have no right nor any responsibility to push for an independent Poland. We must instead work to fix our now strained relations with Germany, that past Presidents so irresponsibly strained to the point of breaking.

- Vice-President Roderick Khur

Well then at the very least new technolgical inovations such as the aircraft must be givin full priority

What would you get under a Terrance administration?

Education
Harrison's education reform saw the system become more efficient and we have got the most out of our education system at the current levels of funding. What I propose is a simple federal grant bestowed to schools across America to provide a higher standard of education. This will equip schools with the resources they need to produce literate, intelligent, innovative children for the future workforce. Due to it's simple nature it will not be necessary to implement a vast costly bureaucracy and yet we shall soon see the benefits. I also propose a significant scheme of government grants to allow even the very poorest of men, if they put in the effort, to go to one of our fine universities. Class constraints shall collapse as higher education is unlocked for the working man, and meritocracy will follow. Is that not the American dream?

Pensions
We enjoy the finest healthcare in the world, it was revolutionary when it was envisioned by Cameron and it is envied by the world today. Yet while we offer help to the working sick we do not offer significant help to another portion of the vulnerable population; the elderly. I propose that federal provision of old age pensions, modelled on our healthcare system be implemented post haste. It will be yet another step towards improving the lives of the ordinary American people, and shall allow our parents or grandparents, and eventually ourselves to live out our twilight years in peace and dignity.

Children's Money
A small, but important payment to be made to the parents when a child is born, a time of uncertainty and need for too many, in order to help the parents during the early stages. This will help avert infant poverty, and ensure that no child in this Union has to grow in squalor and destitution.

Gunboats
We shall expand the Navy dramatically. I may disagree with Jarvis on so many things but he is right when he says we need the strongest Navy in the world to ensure the safety of our homeland. Modern battleships shall be made in droves so we will have complete supremacy in whatever Ocean we may find ourself in, against any potential enemy. Aggressor nations of the world will look at our fleet and tremor in fear!

Political Reform
The electoral college is out of date, reform is needed for the new century and I would introduce a constitutional amendment to have it replaced by a direct vote. Fairer, simpler and cheaper. I would also consult on the reform of Congress.

Economic Sense
The Democrats would see us nationalising industry pointlessly and re-establishing the very monopolies that nearly tore our country apart, only this time under the control of the state. This would be costly to our country and damaging to our economy both in the short and the long term. They declare that their intentions are to exterminate the rich, mine are much more sensible. The rich shall pay their fair share; if we are unable to fund the new programs it is taxes on them that shall rise, and the rich shall be opened up; America is about having the ability to rise through the ranks of society via hard work. It is because of that Harrison busted the trusts. It is to restore that right that I will introduce the opportunity to benefit from higher education regardless of income level. It is because of this I shall complete the cycle of social reform that began with Cameron and has been contributed to by every great President since. A welfare system supporting the people from the cot to the coffin! And of course a fleet to defend our freedoms.

That is how you the people will benefit from a Terrance government!

Last edited:
We do not desire conflict with Russia. But if Russia is set on war with the United States, we must resort to all possible measures to dissuade her from this course of action. I do not propose to set the United States as a shield before Poland, but to set Poland as a shield before the United States. The Polish Question, once raised, will consume Russian foreign policy and leave her helpless to intervene against us. By turning her vision inwards, we can prevent her from greedily gazing outwards. It is not enough to merely respond to Russian aggression when it arrives; we must pre-empt it and so save our nation from suffering another war. I propose this act not to bring about conflict, but to avoid it. It is the first strike for peace, not for war.

Indeed, war was never an option. The act itself explicitly states that the United States will undertake purely "economic and diplomatic" actions to uphold its commitments, and nothing more. The act does not even pledge the United States to the defence of the Polish Nation if independence is granted, should that even occur. The act is symbolic. It is merely a recognition of the Polish people, their suffering at Russian hands and their right to self-determination. These are the tenets upon which our Republic was built; if we deny them, then we deny our own existence. What distinguishes the Empire of Liberty from the Empire of Russia is our dedication to democratic principles. To abandon those same principles would expose our alliance as a sham and vindicate the cynical coalition arranged against us.

I am truly troubled that the further American influence expands, the more the minds of her statesmen contract. We still speak as if this was the America of 1783, and not the America of 1905. Then, we had to look to the continent to secure our existence and defend ourselves from the predatory European powers. Now, our existence is assured on the continent, but it is threatened overseas. We can no longer think purely in terms of regions – we are a world power, with all the concerns that entails. Isolationism was a satisfactory doctrine when the United States was a farflung backwater; it is archaic and outmoded when the United States is a preeminent power with global privileges and obligations. Our democratic republic cannot be guaranteed by inaction and stagnation. If we do nothing, we cede the initiative to our enemies. If we are idle, then the Triple Alliance will systematically destroy our allies, seize those nations friendly to us to and then turn their attention to the United States. If we do not act now to safeguard the United States from danger, then we will deliver the American people into the hands of the reactionary Russian monolith.

- Anton Maxim

If we raise the Polish question, we will be the only ones raising it. No one else cares in the least about Poland, and unless it is your intention to make war with Russia and/or Germany if they do not liberate Poland, then they will be included in that list.

This is almost as stupid as proposing the liberation of the Mongols from China.

Furthermore, who gives a damn whether or not we go to war with Russia? They cannot do anything to harm us, nor can we do anything to harm them. In fact, I don't see why anyone thinks Europe is such a big deal. The only ones who even have the probable capability of launching an assault on us are France and Britain, and they have no reason at all to attack us.

What could make you possibly think Russia would go to war with the US? They have no reason and no desire to do so. All you are doing is attempting to make your name big amongst the masses by enciting panic at a not even feasable Russian declaration of war on the US. They have no reason to attack us, and we have no reason to call for an independent Poland. Reread my previous statement on this issue. If we should call for an independent Poland, what will stop the other nations of the world from calling for an independent Native American state?

We do not desire conflict with Russia. But if Russia is set on war with the United States, we must resort to all possible measures to dissuade her from this course of action. I do not propose to set the United States as a shield before Poland, but to set Poland as a shield before the United States. The Polish Question, once raised, will consume Russian foreign policy and leave her helpless to intervene against us. By turning her vision inwards, we can prevent her from greedily gazing outwards. It is not enough to merely respond to Russian aggression when it arrives; we must pre-empt it and so save our nation from suffering another war. I propose this act not to bring about conflict, but to avoid it. It is the first strike for peace, not for war.

Indeed, war was never an option. The act itself explicitly states that the United States will undertake purely "economic and diplomatic" actions to uphold its commitments, and nothing more. The act does not even pledge the United States to the defence of the Polish Nation if independence is granted, should that even occur. The act is symbolic. It is merely a recognition of the Polish people, their suffering at Russian hands and their right to self-determination. These are the tenets upon which our Republic was built; if we deny them, then we deny our own existence. What distinguishes the Empire of Liberty from the Empire of Russia is our dedication to democratic principles. To abandon those same principles would expose our alliance as a sham and vindicate the cynical coalition arranged against us.

I am truly troubled that the further American influence expands, the more the minds of her statesmen contract. We still speak as if this was the America of 1783, and not the America of 1905. Then, we had to look to the continent to secure our existence and defend ourselves from the predatory European powers. Now, our existence is assured on the continent, but it is threatened overseas. We can no longer think purely in terms of regions – we are a world power, with all the concerns that entails. Isolationism was a satisfactory doctrine when the United States was a farflung backwater; it is archaic and outmoded when the United States is a preeminent power with global privileges and obligations. Our democratic republic cannot be guaranteed by inaction and stagnation. If we do nothing, we cede the initiative to our enemies. If we are idle, then the Triple Alliance will systematically destroy our allies, seize those nations friendly to us to and then turn their attention to the United States. If we do not act now to safeguard the United States from danger, then we will deliver the American people into the hands of the reactionary Russian monolith.

- Anton Maxim

Your act itself is a declaration of war on Russia, Germany and Austria. Do you really think Berlin, St. Petersburg and Vienna would interpret it any different? No, we'd have a war the minute it's signed. And while Poland indeed deserves it's own nation, it's ot the task of the United States of America to give them one.

I realise that you are not au fait with European affairs, sir, but you must realise that your statement is unfounded. Poland has proved such a controversial issue in France that it has perpetually undermined relations with Russia, to the extent of foundering attempts at alliance. France is a fragile nation, where the government must heed public opinion. Even if they did not second our calls for Polish restoration, the raising of the Polish spectre would be more than adequate to end efforts at Franco-Russian reconciliation and so leave France with no choice but to align with the Commonwealth.

I would also point out, sir, that if France had taken the same view of supporting the cause of American nationalism in the 18th century, then there would not be an independent American nation at this present day.

- Anton Maxim

Your act itself is a declaration of war on Russia, Germany and Austria. Do you really think Berlin, St. Petersburg and Vienna would interpret it any different? No, we'd have a war the minute it's signed. And while Poland indeed deserves it's own nation, it's ot the task of the United States of America to give them one.

I concur.

Who wishs for France to be included within the Commonwealth? I for one would sooner revoke my citizenship, move to Germany, and enlist in the Kaiser's army before allowing France within the same economic organization as the United States. We have no need for the French, as they have no need for us. The only reason they assisted us was to spite the British for their loss in the French and Indian War, no more no less.

If it is the will of my fellow Americans to sever our ties with the Earth and reverse a century of progress, then so be it.

It seems we have been possessed by the infantile notion that we can accrue world power and then do nothing to maintain it without fear of consequence. I can merely pray that we are disavowed of this notion before it is too late. For if we will make complacency a matter of public policy; if we will ignore the threats to our interests until they are directly upon us; if we will even deny the hand of friendship on the basis of such trivialities as our personal dislike for a nation; then the following years will not the mark the beginning of the American Century, but of the American catastrophe.

- Anton Maxim

I think being in a military alliance with a European nation will only hurt us. Forcing our boys to go to wars on foreign battlefields would be disastrous for our country, and for the poor workers who would lose the most. But I guess that's what all the war hawks want. A war to destroy the working classes.