• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(What is the ideology of the Conservative Party?)

Just checking back in from Texas, to re-pledge the support for a Harrison elect.

((Conservatism, more or less. They're basically the Republicans, only...not the Republicans. If that makes sense.

Rogov made a rather concise summary of what they stand for a while ago...I'll look for the post and quote it

EDIT: Rogov's post, which is more-or-less a spot-on summary.))

(( Nah, conservatism was in many ways laissez faire domestically. Not that this will solve your quandry specifically, but Conservatives of the past were primarily distinguished from today by being protectionists - Peelite free trade Conservatives were a major change in the British political scene and that didn't really take hold permanently until Maggie Thatcher. Classic conservatism, Toryism basically, is just like Alexander Hamilton's original Federalists (they were modeled after the Tories I'm sure, just didn't want to say so as they were associated with Loyalism): Regressive taxation (higher taxes for the poor than the rich), subsidies for "job creators", lack of regulation of employers, strong anti-union regulation, and protectionism in terms of trade. Basically they were friends to bankers and industrialists.

The States Conservatives seem like Bourbon Democrats - socially conservative and free trade; basically conservative farmers, farmers like free trade. Country conservatives rather than Big Timey conservatives, but that fits the States Conservative concept to a tee.

As for regressive taxation versus flat tax, subsidies for major industries versus merely lack of industrial regulation - that is the kind of stuff that can and should vary from party member to party member, candidate to candidate. ))

Last edited:
((Perhaps we should rename the ACP into something else... maybe Tepublicans? No... Depublicans? No... any suggestions?))

((Oh I never called Hayden a Conservative. I won't call the ACP conservatives, as American Conservatism in this TL that we have created is still Interventionism, Laizze Faire is still rightfully the Liberal view.))

((How is calling him "the real conservative candidate" not calling him "an actual conservative"? You're kind of contradicting yourself.

Also, laissez-faire has seen face on both the conservative and liberal sides. Cameron, for example, could be considered a conservative because of his evasion of and, at times, compromise on the slavery issue. Whoever Frymonmon's character was who was basically a Southern Lincoln was rather conservative. Davis was, for the most part, a conservative, and perhaps even a reactionary, what with the whole Lost Cause thing.

Vice versa, various progressive/social liberal characters who really couldn't be considered conservative have maintained interventionist economic policies, such as Harrison, blindgoose's new character, Bridgeworthy, and Daniel Vallejo.))

(( You guys are basically Bourbon Democrats; consistently isolationist and free trade as the main unifying factor between your various types of conservatism you display. But Bourbon Party is hardly a decent name, and in context is just as civil-war-baiting as Southern Nationalist or Regionalist or this or that would be; as it basically means "we'll rise again, just like the Bourbon dynasty".

The Free Trade Party would be too on-the-head, the Traditionalists would be too nebulous, States Rights is regionalist-scare re-inciting.

You could stick it to the labor movement with the National Union as opposed to actual trade unions. You could evoke Warren Harding with the Normalcy Party or the Normal Party or something like that. Evoking that and the Regular Democratic ticket from period in real life you could be the The Regulars or Regular Party.

As much as I like some of those, I have to suggest the one you'll probably latch on to that I don't like as much, the Independence Party.

Other options include Free Americans, Citizens Party, and Citizens Independence Party.

Longshots include the Plutocratic Party, the Timocratic Party, The Plutarch Party, The Gilded Party, The Patrician Party, The Patrons Party, The Patriarch Party, The Bourgeoisie Party, The Gold Party, and the Honorable Party.

Finally, on the Dempublican note.... the Res Publica Party, RPP (Res Publica Party), or Catonian Party ))

(Ugh, so no true Liberal party. I suppose American politics never had such a party... So the Conservatives are the only party for Laissez Faire and Free trade?)

Abstain, Abstain, Aye

That breaks the deadlock on Russell Act 3, and doesn't change the outcomes of the other two.

Update incoming.

The Primary of 1900

Federal Candidate(s):

James Harrison (b. 1840), Incumbent President of the Republic ((BigBadBob)). After one-and-a-half successful years in office, Harrison hopes to reunite the shattered Federal Party under his banner. He believes that Mayor Terrance of Philadelphia has summed up the role of government “perfectly”, and that the United States, being as powerful as it is, should not shy away from the world.

Democratic Candidate(s):

Jimmy Nightmore (b. 1840), Congressman for Ohio ((yourworstnightm)). A staunch interventionist and veteran of many a political battle, Nightmore hopes to finally gain the democratic nomination.

George Walsh (b. 1836), Congressman for Virginia ((WelshDude)). One of the party’s most loyal supporters, Walsh, who was vice-president under Hayden, from 1893-97, hopes that he can now gain the nomination of his party for the presidency itself.

American Conservative Candidate(s):

Kade Roland Carter (b. 1844), Congressman for Florida ((roy_mustang)). A moderate who voted for Hayden-Harrison in 1897 due to the Federal Party acting as a moderating force on the Democrats, Carter hopes to steer the ACP away from the extreme and return rational thinking to the party.

-----------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

I’m going to assume Riccardo has withdrawn his candidacy in accordance with this statement:

“should another man wish to run, I will stand aside…”

Polls on the Russell Acts are closed.

The First Russell Act passes 7/6/4

The Second Russell Act fails 6/7/4

The Third Russell Act passes 8/7/2

Nay, Nay, Nay

(Alright, I saw your update incoming post BBB, had to take a phone call, got back, posted my vote, only to see you made a ruling. I hate phones.)

((@BBB Since the Federals and Democrats havn't merged, you can consider that past "Yes" still available, if you still want it.))

Of course.