• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You would put workers out on the streets again, just to prove a point that monopolies are bad? How can one justify such suffering, for some ideological gain?

Orleans sees the way the world works, and he does not plan on unemploying so many innocent workers.

On the contrary, Senator, it is the policies of Mr. Orleans which will only serve to return us to a period of recession and unemployment. The policies of myself and Governor Harrison have clearly halted the recession and begun to create growth once again. Anyone who denies such is inept, and we can not have an inept man at the helm of this nation.

The assertion that the Democratic party wishes to put anyone on the streets is nothing less than wrong. It's a simple lie, or perhaps an exclamation of ignorance. The men in Congress who wish to see people on the streets are the men of the Conservative party who supply these monopolists with baseless crowing and cooing support. It is the tycoon and the businessman who benefits from an honest man being thrown into the gutter, for there is a man most desperate to help himself in a political and economic society that clearly has no intention of helping him. A man starving for work is a man who will work to starve, and that is what these monopolists, tycoons, titans, behemoths, snakes, and hydras wish. America in their hand, to be molded and squashed as they please, squeezed and bled dry until every last profit has been made from their exploitation.

The Democratic Party aims to live up to its name - no one in the halls of Congress or in any seat in the White House has any right to gain office for his own good, but those halls and rooms must echo the sentiments of the people. Of the current administration, how many men have made their lives from a bank? from the running of a railroad? from stocks? A vote Conservative is a vote for an administration made up of railroad men, businessmen, shady dealers, traders of unearned money and wealth. Americans deserve better in the White House.

You have clearly halted the periods of recession and unemployment? You can see into the future? These cycles come and go, and I do believe your policies will be disastrous in the near future and the far.

You think corruption wont continue with the dismantlement of the big corporations, it will continue because corruption is two fold. And the sentiments of the people can only be proven in popular election, do not believe you know the voters until one sits in the oval office. The interests of these large corporations are intrinsically linked with the people. These people who you think are not represented are payed. They trade their lively-hood for pay. Good pay I might add, as we have already passed innumerable laws controlling payments and such to workers.

I fail to see how they suffer.

Last edited:
So you claim to see into the future then? I claim to see into the eyes and hearts of the men and families I am sworn to represent. Who is more likely to be living up to their claims?

Then again, perhaps you are no liar, you just might be delusional. "I fail to see how they suffer" - such words would never come from a working American.

Last edited:
I believe I represent the common man just the same as you, we just have different ideas of what can help them.

You have clearly halted the periods of recession and unemployment? You can see into the future? These cycles come and go, and I do believe your policies will be disastrous in the near future and the far.

You think corruption wont continue with the dismantlement of the big corporations, it will continue because corruption is two fold. And the sentiments of the people can only be proven in popular election, do not believe you know the voters until one sits in the oval office. The interests of these large corporations are intrinsically linked with the people. These people who you think are not represented are payed. They trade their lively-hood for pay. Good pay I might add, as we have already passed innumerable laws controlling payments and such to workers.

I fail to see how they suffer.

No working-man is ever honest about his situation with the person who has the power to hire-and-fire. Do not seek to judge the quality of life of the working-man unless you have lived the working-man's life. I have and my parents have. My life is the life of a working-man. Even after years of public office I haven't accumulated such wealth as any of my opponents were born into. I lived through the Civil war on the front-lines - the cannon-fodder which many "noble" officers sought to use. I didn't have the epaulets to protect me from dangerous work, or the fancy-name to get me a cushy officers commission. I fought, often hand-to-hand, bayonet-to-bayonet. And when I was done, I didn't get a pension or an officers' retirement, I went back to being a working-man to fishing like my father before me. I sit in this house because, with the strength of my brothers, I gained the courage to stand up to the very type of person I find as my opponent today. It was through fighting for the working-man that I gained this office. Not through marriage, inheritance, purchase, or commission. Through work, through being the actual friend of the people I sought to represent. Any man who would deign to challenge my "knowledge" of the life of the working-man is welcome to spend sixty-years the way I have spent sixty-years, only then might I entertain the idea that my opponents have any knowledge of what they speak. The glasses of business-men are tinted with their wealth, this tint makes it near impossible for business-men to ever accurately assess the state of any person in society. The glasses which would make a person of wealth think they have too little and the people they employ too much are clearly defective.

((Hey, I've had worse things said about me on this thread. Also, could you clarify when the monopolies started? I'm sure it was under the laizzez-faire Bridgeworthy, but Riccardo thinks it started under staunch interventionist Jamous, and stalled under laizzez faire Mandrake. OTOH, that might just be desperately trying to justify his vice-presidency and free trade policies :) ))

((Just to be clear, how much of the market must be controlled to be counted as a monopoly?))

((Just to be clear, how much of the market must be controlled to be counted as a monopoly?))

Right now, Harrison's torn between 55 or 65 percent. That's the national level. A state can define it to be smaller, but not larger, as for NY it became 45%.

((Could we have a time set in stone for when the election will end?))

Best bet, January 1st. However, I'll be in Berlin until January 4th, so the update will be up on the 5th at the earliest.

Best bet, January 1st. However, I'll be in Berlin until January 4th, so the update will be up on the 5th at the earliest.

((Berlin for New Years Eve? Can't be beat. Happy New Years from the future!))

((Most anti-trust suits utilize the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index as a measure of market concentration, however, most anti-trust law does not directly equate market concentration to market control. Some companies could control fifty percent and not have market control and some could have thirty percent and be the worst monopolists possible. What really differentiates a monopolizing firm from a non-monopolizing firm is that it has market control, not that it meets a certain threshold of market concentration.

Sorry, took Industrial Regulation, Organization, and Economics last year. This stuff got burned into my brain after all the case-reading and essay-writing.))

(Thanks for the information blindgoose)

Most innovators were members of the workingman, I might add to this discussion. Otherwise, how would there be innovation? A man born rich, living rich, and dieing rich, has no incentive for innovation. If I wanted to punish monopolies, I would make sure it was only have said innovator was no longer a leading member of the company.

Thus, while I am opposed to punishing these industrious, I would much like the consideration to be taken for the "good" and "bad" monopolies. (As a note, Teddy Roosevelt held the same idea, that some monopolies are naturally good, while others bad). Also, we must avoid the pursuit of monopolies to become another example in the public's eyes of corrupt politicians, lobbyists, and opportunistic government.

(Thanks for the information blindgoose)

Most innovators were members of the workingman, I might add to this discussion. Otherwise, how would there be innovation? A man born rich, living rich, and dieing rich, has no incentive for innovation. If I wanted to punish monopolies, I would make sure it was only have said innovator was no longer a leading member of the company.

Thus, while I am opposed to punishing these industrious, I would much like the consideration to be taken for the "good" and "bad" monopolies. (As a note, Teddy Roosevelt held the same idea, that some monopolies are naturally good, while others bad). Also, we must avoid the pursuit of monopolies to become another example in the public's eyes of corrupt politicians, lobbyists, and opportunistic government.

Once in office, I would, in my likely capacity as the spearhead of anti-trust, be more than happy to invite you to work with me to ensure that anti-trust does not become the domain of "corrupt politicians, lobbyists, and opportunistic government".

To convert an enemy is a powerful tool indeed, eh? If these elections come to that I would very much desire to make sure these laws are not influenced by the art of the dime.

After due deliberation, I have decided to rescind my previous vote and recast it for Joe Hayden.

- Anton Maxim