• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I suppose he means Progressive rather than liberal.))

I am announcing my candidacy for the Republican ticket; although I have not yet held elective office, I promise to bring stability and sense to the White House, with bipartisanship ((or perhaps tripartisanship)), security for business interests, peace here and abroad, and a fair taxation plan for all citizens in the United States.

((I'm curious as to how the economy reacted to Callahan's policies. I'd like to know if there's anything that didn't get done in that sphere last term so I can put it in my platform this time round.))

It comes time for a new election and I can stand proud in the knowledge that I have accomplished everything* I promised to the American people.
Thus is should come as no surprise that I will be seeking the nomination in the Democratic Party primaries. Though I welcome any Democrats and independents that would like to enter the contest.

I will be running on a platform of continuing my successful* economic policies, ensuring swift American withdrawal from the Philippines, holding the plebiscite in Cuba and recognising the revolutionary government of France.

I'd be curious to know more about the foreign policies of the Federal candidates.

Philippine Independence Act pending...

*((To the best of my knowledge))

EDIT: ((For some reason you refer to Louis-Napoleon's family as the French Bourbons? Either he's Charles X Bourbon's ironically named son/grandson or they should be French Bonapartes))

Last edited:
((Actually, we don't know about the Rebels; I may have overlooked it, but I don't think BBB said anything about the Rebels. We may have captured them, or they could still be on Cuba, fighting like the Filipino people did IRL, or they escaped to another island, possibly to the jungles of South America))

I know many of you do not wish to hear, but I will not bow to political pressure or the winds of popular opinion: we caused this war! We, through our interference in Spanish territory, not only permitted, but encouraged, an attack on the Maine. Why was this ship, sent on 'peaceful purposes,' filled to the brim with explosives? Where did the Rebels acquire their bombs? Why would the Spanish help them? I cannot find a good answer to these questions, and I doubt anyone else could find answers that, beyond the shadow of a doubt, prove Confederate and Spanish involvement. I ask you this, if the Spanish were complicit: if the situation was reversed, and Spain was more powerful, and we were alone, and they sent a battleship to Chesapeake Bay, how would we react?

Ladies and Gentlemen, Presdient Callahan willingly spilled the blood of tens of thousands of men, all for a few parcels of land! This warmonger is not fit to hold office, if he is prepared to attack without cause, or proof, and sacrifice American lives, and stain American honour!

((Actually, we don't know about the Rebels; I may have overlooked it, but I don't think BBB said anything about the Rebels. We may have captured them, or they could still be on Cuba, fighting like the Filipino people did IRL, or they escaped to another island, possibly to the jungles of South America))

If you're talking about the Confederates, then we have them. They were captured by Harrison and the Rough Riders as they tried to flee Havana.

"Havana fell to Harrison and his men on August 21st, and the Confederate government, having not been informed of the Spanish defeat at Campo Florido until that day, was captured as it tried to escape".

Foreign Policy Overview

I advocate a cautious and amicable political isolation from most European affairs - no entangling alliances and wars in the old world, while maintaining contact and trade agreements where possible. Our focus, however, shall be on the Commonwealth and the Western Hemisphere.

I welcome strengthened ties with the people of Britain, Canada, and the rest of what will become the Commonwealth, and propose more mutually beneficial trade agreements in preparation especially for the formation of Canada (and Quebec).

I will support fair, quick, and open plebiscites in the Philippines and Cuba while training and supporting their young militaries. I believe that we can come to an agreement for naval bases which we can build and share with the Filipinos to help protect them and our other interests in the Pacific and Asia, should they choose independence in the commonwealth. Until they have developed a large enough military of their own, I will not entirely withdraw American soldiers from either Cuba or the Philippines, but will rather leave some forces to protect their capital from foreign invasion or foreign funded rebel overthrow (as we have seen can topple such young republics so easily) at the request of their governments (of course, if they request the soldiers leave we will do so, although we will carefully monitor the situation if they need assistance later).

I will expand our navy to protect our shores and allies from invasion, and to deter any kind of imperialistic aggression against them. ((expect perhaps a Great White Fleet kind of action as well))

I will propose (but not force upon the British this idea) to the Commonwealth that the sundry British dependencies in the Caribbean be given popular vote for the formation of a Caribbean Union with Cuba, should Cuba seek independence, so that the combined prosperity and territory of these islands may help to prop up their government, rather than all failing separately.

I seek further trade and diplomatic ties with likeminded governments in the Americas, especially our neighbor Mexico.

- Daniel Vallejo, contender for the Federal Party nomination for presidency

If you're talking about the Confederates, then we have them. They were captured by Harrison and the Rough Riders as they tried to flee Havana.

"Havana fell to Harrison and his men on August 21st, and the Confederate government, having not been informed of the Spanish defeat at Campo Florido until that day, was captured as it tried to escape".

((Thanks for clearing that up. I just missed it in the midst of large blocks of update))

I know many of you do not wish to hear, but I will not bow to political pressure or the winds of popular opinion: we caused this war! We, through our interference in Spanish territory, not only permitted, but encouraged, an attack on the Maine. Why was this ship, sent on 'peaceful purposes,' filled to the brim with explosives? Where did the Rebels acquire their bombs? Why would the Spanish help them? I cannot find a good answer to these questions, and I doubt anyone else could find answers that, beyond the shadow of a doubt, prove Confederate and Spanish involvement. I ask you this, if the Spanish were complicit: if the situation was reversed, and Spain was more powerful, and we were alone, and they sent a battleship to Chesapeake Bay, how would we react?

Ladies and Gentlemen, Presdient Callahan willingly spilled the blood of tens of thousands of men, all for a few parcels of land! This warmonger is not fit to hold office, if he is prepared to attack without cause, or proof, and sacrifice American lives, and stain American honour!

((from the RL O'reilly))

If you at all question that the United States brought this attack upon itself then all I have to see is that you my friend are a menace to society

I shall support whoever provides the best deal for industry as well as the possibilty of greater autonomy for New England.

I am also pleased to announce that my father has returned to full health and is in good form. The capture of the rebels seemed to help him and cheer him up enormously.

((can't wait to slip in a sun goes up sun goes down reference))

Here are some brief sketches of my policies, to help inform you, the voters.

ECONOMICS -- Laissez-Faire. I refuse to countenance any serious governmental interference in the economy.
TRADE POLICY -- Free Trade. 0% Tariffs, possible import subsidies.
FOREIGN POLICY -- Commercial expansion (i.e. spheres of influence) in emerging markets, such as Japan and China; continued expansion of influence within Latin America. No intervention in foreign wars, no entangling alliances.
MILITARY POLICY -- Two expeditionary forces of middling size, observation army on Mexican border, home guard in Washington DC. All other army forces will be disbanded, with the savings in funds being used to expand and modernize our fleet. Issuance of new weapons to our existing armed forces ((Guards and Hussars, if we have the tech)), and a focus on quality, not quantity.

I welcome input from other parties as well as my own; I am happy to answer any questions.

I am happy to see my opponent in the primary is in agreement with me; perhaps the Party has some hope for liberalism, freedom, and constitutionalism after I retire.

As well, Mr. O'Freilly, answer my earlier question: If the Spanish had a ship in Chesapeake Bay, would we be provoked? Especially considering the recent tensions caused by this administration?

Clearly the info you are looking for is found in gouvernment documents on the operationand cannot be disclosed as a matter of national security

Now, I do not pretend to be privy to any governmental records, mundane or conspiratorial, but I will answer at least some of your questions, Mr. Jarvis, from common understandings of military protocol and politics and make clear that no conspiracy theory is needed to explain the tragic event of the Maine. Investigations will make clear what actual explanation is right, but to declare such an explanation as sabotage to be impossible is clearly incorrect.
Why was [the USS Maine], sent on 'peaceful purposes,' filled to the brim with explosives?
Military ships tend to be so. Even the most peaceful of passenger ships have quite a few explosives around in the form of large steam boilers, fuel, and other necessary sea-going supplies. Fire is always a great danger on a ship.

Military ships have even more in terms of munitions of various sorts. While the Maine was in Havana without the intention of bombarding the port, it would still require munitions to deter piracy or other hostile actions, or to respond quickly to reassignment to a dangerous situation (even to the aid of Spain if such a situation had arisen). All of these various explosives make it hardly an impossible undertaking to sabotage or cause the destruction of such a ship out of malice - the ship does not need to be filled with bombs, but simply attacked with one bomb, secretly set or openly stormed onto the ship.

Where did the Rebels acquire their bombs? Why would the Spanish help them?
The Spanish have been helping them by giving them free reign in Cuba for a long time, and it is no secret that they had an aggressive and confrontational relationship with our government. Without more evidence which is most likely being compiled by the investigations now, any specific reason for aid would be simply speculation - but there are many reasons why a battleship of a government you despise might be a target.

if the situation was reversed, and Spain was more powerful, and we were alone, and they sent a battleship to Chesapeake Bay, how would we react?
We would not aid its unprovoked destruction, if that is what you are suggesting, for we are a democratic nation working with clear and honest negotiations. We are not harboring and aiding groups seeking to undermine lawful governance in Spain, we have no government abuses to hide from them, and we do not have any imperialistic grip threatened by them. We had no reason to attack the Spanish government, save for a disagreement about the Rights of Man and the rights of governments, fair diplomatic policies, and the like - and those disagreements lead to clearly declared wars. The Declaration of Independence was written for this purpose - to make sure that the causes for attack on the British government were clearly declared. Spain, on the other hand, has reasons to attack that are those of the empires of the Old World: threat, pride, conspiracy, ruses, and deception, which lead to underhanded actions.

((Eh, Vallejo's not entirely lacking in suspicion of the event [at least that it might be an accident or done/allowed by Spain due to a provocation (secret mission to arrest the Confederates, aid to Cuban rebels, or just the propoganda value of it)] - he's just not going to completely reject the assumed explanation for it [and especially is not going to reject that the explosion was accidental or caused by outside forces] until all investigations have concluded. In the navy at this time it is rather frowned upon to just claim it had to be U.S. caused.))

Even a ship on peaceful duty is armed in case of attack by pirates, brigands, rebels, or any other hostile force. Gunpowder is not so difficult to obtain, how was it that Robert Catesby was able to get enough gunpowder to try and destroy parliament? How did our forefathers get the gunpowder to defeat the British. With the help of the Spanish Government rebels could easily get enough to place bombs on the USS Maine.

If a Spanish ship was docked in Chesapeake bay, far more important than a local colonial port, we would have no right to assist in the destruction of a peaceful ship. The USS Maine was docked in accordance with nautical law and not as an encroachment on Spanish sovreignity or an act of conflict.

To counter that, I wish to point out this; we have not granted a plebiscite to the Cuban people. Instead, we've placed expatriates, pro-Americans, in the seat of power on the island, mush like a Spanish Viceroy. As well, we have yet to conclude that Spain and the Rebels ever worked in concert with one another, or that it was even an attack on the ship in the first place, or just a horrible accident. Even if the Spanish did aid them, as I mentioned earlier, if, but let's modify slightly, if Spain were to lay claim on our possession of Florida, and had the force to back it up, and they sailed a ship into St. Augustine, especially in the heated diplomatic state our nations were in, we would be furious, and would, rightfully, want them out of our lands. We should not act as though we are immune, or above, the laws and customs of other nations; instead, we should act peacefully, humbly, and cautiously, not rushing hastily into conflict, heavy-handedly taking a moral high ground in a war that will kill thousands for no real goal, or goals that are used as a pretense for expansion and imperialism! I have consistently opposed warfare, bloodshed, and death unless the situation utterly demanded it, and I would seek only to create a balance, a compromise, not force our values, our rule, over another people, as Callahan has done in Cuba.

Cuba was the last remnant of a once proud empire, and holds immense importance to Spain, which is why they've resisted surrendering territory for the past two centuries until the lands became unholdable. As well, perhaps my new analogy would be more fitting.

And that the Confederates could have gotten that gunpowder anywhere, if they even did attack the Maine, means that Spain may not have even been complicit in the attack.