• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
simply ignoring the possibility of war with Spain would be foolish.

"Stop trying to create pathetic exuces to scare the people into siding with you."

Is that not saying I try to invoke fear to create support?

Any mobilization during negotiations will not earn us a reputation of peacefulness and reaction, only preemptive action and preparation for war.

I am not ignoring a war with Spain (if that is directed at me); I would not be the instigator, and Spain would have no reason to attack a peaceful, and more powerful, nation.

And how is is it that "scaring the people" isn't akin to fearmongering? As well, I am certain the Democrats, and their Republican predecessors (again, think Adams/Jefferson, only 1800 election, or John Q. Adams v. Jackson 1824, 1828) are no less guilty of mudslinging.

I don't see how they are any different. A fear-monger inspires fear to garner support, you said I invoked fear to garner support. Don't play semantics or technical games, Mr. Khur. Admit while you're at it.

((Wikipedia)) "Fear mongering is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others toward some specific end."

Khur - "Stop trying to create pathetic excuses to scare the people into siding with you." ((I fixed the word 'excuses'... I'm a grammar/spelling Nazi))

That seems like fear mongering to me, and it fits the definition, as well. I have no problem siding with you on this issue; I respect you, a Secretary of State, and relative ((I can't remember how)) to a war hero.

((Illegitimate son? DUN DUN DUN!))

I respect a Secretary of State if they admit guilt and act competently. I have not seen you act enough to judge that aspect, nor have I seen you admit guilt.

Well, Mr. Brockman, he is trying to prevent war, which we both want to avoid; so cut him a little slack. However, I do agree that he does need to admit he slung a little mud himself; I did (even if I believe mine was fact based...))

I do agree that trying to oppose war in this hawkish environment is an honorable task, since our colleagues across the aisle are itching for either the informal or formal possession of Cuba and other Spanish territories.

What is the Americain policy towards the dark continent. We have our ally liberia there but are we thinking of ever colonising there?

((I don't think we have any real ambitions there whatsoever. We'll probably keep Liberia but never go far beyond that.))

North Carolina supports expeditions further inland along the Congo and Liberian hinterland.

((I have no clue how far along colonization has proceeded. Could Mr. BBB give us further insight?))

indeed from the atlantic to the indian ocean manifest destiny part 2!

I don't believe we should involve ourselves in Africa; it's a tinderbox, waiting for a match... I would much rather avoid becoming in this imperial "Rush for Africa," and I hope that we refrain from such measures. However, tying into my overall foreign policy, we should send ambassadors to create trade proposals to both the native peoples and the colonists. As well, should the Europeans enter into conflict over Africa, we should act as a mediator, and in some way aid the African people (by supporting native autonomy) in the process.

((Mud is not fact based. It is mostly soil and water.))

I am not of the opinion that the Philippines could be successfully held (as a part of Jarvis' imaginary American Empire) were we to allow it to become an American territory. I am also opposed to the creation of puppet protectorates. Perhaps we could set them independent? I think this would be an excellent issue to put to vote. Should war with Spain come, it shall be congress who decides whether to accept the Philippines as a territory or force independence on them.

((America cannot colonise Africa effectively as of the last update IIRC. Any american african possessions do not get immigrants and don't culture convert. It was a good way to counter America's other advantages IMO.))

Actually, Mr. President, I believe it should be up to the Filipino people; if we want Cuban statehood or independence, we should go about it the same way, popular sovereignty, not another Empire, forcing its values on them. But again, we have no reason to go to war with Spain.

Perhaps we should first seek to expand Liberia's haven. Or perhaps, given our integration of our own former slaves, we should simply reintegrate the territory as a territory and perhaps at some time a state - at the consent of the government and people there of course. Do we have any pressing reason for Liberia to exist separate from us now?

It's is for the people of New England to decide weather to stay or leave the Union. I shall support whichever they choose. I request the people of New England be allowed to vote on the issue of more autonomy .
If they wish for more autonomy in the Union, despite the good function of it, should they not propose and write legislation to that regard to put toward their state legislatures and to Congress? After all, that is the system we have in place for such modifications in government - nobody is preventing them from proposing amendments and legislation, or from voting in fair elections.

The people of the philipines are not yet civilized enough to run their own nation. Prehaps we could look for an internationally recognized mandate...

To steal it from Spain? Let the Spaniards keep it, and Cuba, and their lands; we have no business taking them. Especially not over the Confederate 'government.'

Actually, Mr. President, I believe it should be up to the Filipino people; if we want Cuban statehood or independence, we should go about it the same way, popular sovereignty, not another Empire, forcing its values on them. But again, we have no reason to go to war with Spain.

Proving that you did not read my latest proposal or the Cuban Liberty Act. The vote would be to decide whether (should they popularly decide to join our republic) we should accept them, or reject them.
...it shall be congress who decides whether to accept the Philippines as a territory or force independence on them.