• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Well, Mandrake hasn't voted, and so have a few others))

((Jeez, where all al my allies on this. So much for a caniet position *sigh*))

I ma not advocating war in every instance that liberty is threatened, or that we should go off on some wild extra-continental expedition to liberate people we barely know anything about. I am saying that it is our duty as americans and citizens of the free world to try spread the ideals of liberty throughout the world. I do not want to start so war in Cuba, in fact I still hope that the conflict can be resolved in a diplomatic fashion. I am merely stating that when we or are liberty is threatened, we must not be afraid to defend it. Cuba is a unique case. It is a European power, harboring criminals and traitors, that still imposes a large empire on America. The Monroe doctrine states that the US will not become involved in european affairs if they do not become involved in ours. This Doctrine has been violated completely. We have the right to try to expulse this intrigue from our very shores, and if worst comes to worse, go to war. Not in defense of Cuban liberties, but in defense of our own and those of our children. Once this conflict is resolved we can finally distance ourselves from Europe again, and finally bring our focus back to where it nelongs, in the Americas. But before we can do this we must deal out justice to those who would violate the laws of the world, so that we can remain free.
-Rep. William Leo, in an adress to Congress, December 6, 1877

On the subject of the "unity" ticket, I fully expected Mandrake's short term and endorsement of Jarvis to preserve some popular enthusiasm for the Republicans. I won't expect the Federals to back me unconditionally in congress, which is why I opted for their role to focus on policy creation rather than policy support. I had my cabinet picked out (with little change) before the coalition and it would have been imprudent to have me against Glynne with so much in common.

Also, I would like to know what a 'President Callahan' would do about an economic crisis, say a depression? Would you do nothing, create a national bank, pour in money to stimulate the economy, or some mixture, or something entirely different?

I support an "underconsumptionist" view of depressions. Their primary cause of depressions being a market failure in the face of crashing demand, concurrent cuts in private spending and subsidised production over subsidised demand. The cure for this is to increase government consumption, funded by the offering of stable government bonds while keeping government revenue stable. This creates a market for producers to continue earning money, while also redirecting the natural reaction of individuals -to hoard money in a crisis- to reinvest that money safely. This will incur debt, but should be mostly borrowed domestically.

He also forgets there has been precedence regarding Republican administration, compared to Democratic-Federalist policies. The Republicans have been in power for many years, they have presided over war and peace, protecting the public welfare in peace and ensuring its enforcement in war, whereas this coalition has not demonstrated the competence of its leadership or its policies.

By the same logic, the backlash of the polls can only be a negative reaction to that precedent.

Go to war for every oppressed people on the face of this planet, or there shall be no place for your interventionist "defense of liberty" abroad. Being selective implies a lack of sincerity.

Was Monroe too "selective" in his famed doctrine. We may not be trying to liberate the world, but we can at least clean up our own back yard.

Okay. I'm calling it due to this being one heck of a landslide.

The Polls are Closed.

With a vote of 12 to 4, Eamon Callahan will become the next President of the Republic.

Congratulations President Callahan. May this Union remain ever strong, peaceful, and free. ((Now it's to the California Supreme Court for me! Businessman, General, Legislative, Executive, and now Judicial positions held my me))

Congratulations Callahan, I hope you will be a good president. All those things the other Senators say about you are lies ;-).

1877 Presidential Inauguration - Speech in front of the Capitol Building, Washington D.C.

My fellow Americans,
I am humbled by the broad support of our campaign, and honoured to have faced so tenacious an opponent. This truly gives me hope for my term as the 15th President of the United States of America.
Today is not just a victory for the Democratic and Federal parties, but a victory for all men and women who believe in the value of honest work and a fairer system for all.

Together with my cabinet of skilled advisors and administrators from a multitude of backgrounds, we will make good use of this popular mandate to maintain strong economic growth while taking a new role in leading the Americas into a new era of independence and solidarity.

As we approach the 20th anniversary of the beginning of our darkest hour, I will strive -as a born Southerner and Northern soldier- to forge through good governance a united nation, and to heal the wounds brought about by seccession and occupation.

Perhaps most importantly we must recognise the role the west has played in this election. Though some would see me as yet another eastern President, I hope that together with my partners in the administration we can come to bring the benefits of the American economic boom to those states that have been long neglected.

I'd like to take time out of the pomp and ceremony to remind the American people that in the towns and plantations of Cuba, there stands a nation of people with a shared value of liberty and justice who are crying out for American intervention. But in the long shadow of colonial rule also stand the criminals responsible for leading countless Americans into turmoil and an early grave.

It is in this spirit I make in front of the American citizens a solemn vow to see justice dealt in this term, even should it kill me to try.

Vive America!

Eamon Callahan,
President of the United States

((It's odd; I'm possibly the first Presidential candidates from across the Mississippi (I don't know that for a fact), but the Federal Party, based in the West, and on Western affairs, ignored me. True, I was born in Boston; but I lived in Texas in the 1830's and in California since the 1840's. The Federalists, I guess, were more of 'Democrats-lite,' and largely were only the Western half of the party, since some of its members are hardcore interventionists, and remnants from the Libertarian Party. But no matter!))

I hate to be critical of the president, especially on his first day, but I if you are arguing for freedom for Cuba, and not acquiring the Confederates, as you cited as your previous goal, you will jeopardize the balance of power, disrupt trade, kill thousands of people, establish a de facto colony in the forms of Cuba and Puerto Rico, do nothing about the tyrannies of the British, French and Dutch in Guyana, ignore the brutality of South American juntas, warlords, and dictators, and set a precedent for American Imperialism! I doubt a war will really aid the Cuban people; rather it will impoverish them, leave angry for ruining their trade relations, and in many other ways injure them. As well, the Spanish are not the worst masters of colonies; as I've mentioned earlier, the brutal put down of the Sepoy Rebellion by Britain shows how repressive they are, and that they slaughtered civilians in Delhi is not particularly reassuring.

I agree with Mr. Jarvis, this seems more like focusing on poor little Spain and ignoring every other colony's grievances. They have done almost nothing but harbor trade and grudgingly acknowledge, but not support, a very small Confederate presence. Unlike other colonies in the world Cuba has a strong Spanish heritage, among others, so they have integrated themselves into their mother country.

If Spain were more powerful, and invaded Florida, which she previously owned, under the pretense of freeing it, would we accept it? If the Floridian government was harbouring Spanish criminals, men who had done nothing to us, and run the risk of them being tortured and executed, would we turn them over? As well, the Spanish government is so weak on the island, it more than likely cannot even acquire the criminals, much less transport them to us. I believe we should treat others how we wish to be treated; it is common decency, and I do not believe the Cuban people would want to die fighting a Spanish War, only to become an American protectorate!

In my Social Unionist Manifesto I opposed in no uncertain terms the creation of protectorates. Thought they have the democratic right to become a protectorate by our own law, I would encourage statehood. Ultimately it would come to a popular vote.

It is a fine day for the people of this great nation and in celebration may I now repropose something very dear to me, and that will help maintain the rights earnt by the people over the past 50 years:

Second Bill of Rights

Amendment I
Section 1. The right of workers to collectively bargain with their employers shall not be infringed.
Section 2. The Congress shall have power to regulate and enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Amendment II
Section 1. No American Citizen within the United States should be condemned to death, sickness or ailment due to lack of healthcare.
Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Amendment III
Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Amendment IV
Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Amendment V
Section 1. No American Citizen within the United States should be forced to do degrading, unnecessarily unsafe, or otherwise unfair labour, as dictated by Congress.
Section 2. No American Citizen within the United States should be paid below a minimum wage, as chosen by Congress.
Section 4. Any man entering the United States military does so on the understanding they may be asked to make sacrifices, including the ultimate sacrifice, and thus Sections 1 & 2 of this Amendment are not applicable.
Section 5. Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Amendment VI
Section 1. All United States Citizens residing in the states or territories have the right to a good education during childhood.
Section 2. Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Last edited:
I just going to say no... I not going to even begin discussing the precedence, the unconstitutionality, and the slew of other problems in that proposal.

There was no precedence for the first bill of rights. And there is nothing in their the slightest bit unconstitutional.

This is a glorious day for our republic! I count myself among the many to finally see those jackals thrown out of office, we can now begin the set the nation right after 4 awful years. I would support the proposed 2nd Bill of Rights, as there is nothing unconstitutional about it.

I would be happy to vote separately on many of these points yes, but I cannot vote for the whole lot. The laws which will help enforce Universal Suffrage are fine, the ones regulating Business are vague. One does not know, from the Bill, how the government will regulate business. Who defines something as unsafe? I foresee constant back-room negotiations between corrupt politicians and bad industrialists, both groups using the law for their own agenda. Thus, I would like this bill split up into a Union Bill, and a Universal Suffrage Bill, so that we can pass the important parts and not the unimportant.

I would be happy to vote separately on many of these points yes, but I cannot vote for the whole lot. The laws which will help enforce Universal Suffrage are fine, the ones regulating Business are vague. One does not know, from the Bill, how the government will regulate business. Who defines something as unsafe? I foresee constant back-room negotiations between corrupt politicians and bad industrialists, both groups using the law for their own agenda. Thus, I would like this bill split up into a Union Bill, and a Universal Suffrage Bill, so that we can pass the important parts and not the unimportant.

The courts would decide whther something wa sunsafe or not. If anyone feels badly done to they can appeal to a higher court.