• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As for the union of Democrats and Whigs, lets have a referendum of the members of the parties.

Would you support a dual ticket of the Democrats and the Whigs, united under King?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Only if a Democrat is VP/if someone else runs instead.

EDIT: OH! Possible answers! (I'm so stupid).

Great idea this referendum.

Last edited:
((BigBadBob if you allowed a limited number of third parties to form It could be interesting to see how the three major parties would use them or ignore them. Like A Native American population out west picking a pearson to run for president.))

EDIT: OH! Possible answers! (I'm so stupid).

Great idea this referendum.

1. I support a dual Whig-Democratic ticket led by King.

Arthur King would like to know who the heck Rufus King is, but certainly knows he's not president.

As for the union of Democrats and Whigs, lets have a referendum of the members of the parties.

Would you support a dual ticket of the Democrats and the Whigs, united under King?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Only if a Democrat is VP/if someone else runs instead.
I'm between 1 and 3. I would definitely like to see some moderation and compromise (whether it's taking a more centrist Whig or a Democrat as presidential candidate, VP, or other similar position), but I am not picky about what. Count me as 1. Yes, but I do support having a more moderate ticket in some way.

Since when did we Democrats sign up to Mr King as president? Be honest Mr King, you weren't exactly red hot favourite to win renomination for your own party, stop trying to hijack another party's. I say, let's just form a new party, we can have proper primaries and nominations, anyone who doesn't want to join can stay a Whig. Simple solution.

A moderate coalition, ruled by King......hahaha.

Mr King you don't seem to realise the entire reason there's talk of Republican-Democrats is your overtly radical and shoddy rule. You are in no way a moderate, to lead the coalition of moderates. But in contrary to SNP propaganda, the "schism" has left us as politicians more united than ever before, a broad rangeing alliance of peoples who's primary ideology is that of reason. We seek compromise and peace where King's Whigs cause Texas to bleed and the entirity of the USA is dominated by the North, and the SNP seeks illegal seccession, or a whole USA dominated by the South. Gentlemen, this great country not only wants, but needs nothing less than a party & executive not of Northerners or Southerners, Yankees or Dixies, but of Americans. Patriotic, devoted, reasonable Americans. And if I were to win the Whig ticket for President, that is what I would deliver.

-John F. Cameron

A moderate coalition, ruled by King......hahaha.

Mr King you don't seem to realise the entire reason there's talk of Republican-Democrats is your overtly radical and shoddy rule. You are in no way a moderate, to lead the coalition of moderates. But in contrary to SNP propaganda, the "schism" has left us as politicians more united than ever before, a broad rangeing alliance of peoples who's primary ideology is that of reason. We seek compromise and peace where King's Whigs cause Texas to bleed and the entirity of the USA is dominated by the North, and the SNP seeks illegal seccession, or a whole USA dominated by the South. Gentlemen, this great country not only wants, but needs nothing less than a party & executive not of Northerners or Southerners, Yankees or Dixies, but of Americans. Patriotic, devoted, reasonable Americans. And if I were to win the Whig ticket for President, that is what I would deliver.

-John F. Cameron

((havnt our members said repeatedly that we dont want succession or even south dominated government?))

((havnt our members said repeatedly that we dont want succession or even south dominated government?))

Yes, yes, quite right... it's not as if you've formed a militia or anything...

3, since no one's taking any notice of what I suggest.

Yes, yes, quite right... it's not as if you've formed a militia or anything...

((Technically we didn't create a militia, we just took the existing southern state militias, expanded them, and put them under a unified high command)) ;-)

((and the offer to join my party instead of the defunct democrats remains open, your persona is from Virginia and I really do think the SNP would better serve his voters))

(( and let's be honest the democrats have been damaged beyond repair, your leadership has either defected to my party (mr. Khur) or are to torn between thier loyalty to the democrats and the vigor and strength of the SNP (mr. Mcattack) so please, your membership would be greatly appreciated. I could give you a position in the party militia if you would like or even in a potential SNP government))

((And what is thier for you in the democratic party anymore, McAttack has a presidential bid but that party no longer has anything to offer you or your constituants))

Last edited:
Well, since the Referendum on Party mergers turned out a little, flaky. I've decided to put it to an actual vote during the primary. Don't worry though. To pass, it has to have at least 2/3 yes, so it won't be that clear cut.

Primary update coming in the next 15 mins. It also explains what would happen if the Whigs and Democrats merged.

The Primary of 1840

Whig Candidate(s)

Arthur King (b. 1799), Incumbent President of the Republic ((Omega124)). King runs for reelection in hopes that the economic growth brought on by his term will secure him both the Whig Candidacy and the White House once more. He supports the Davis Compromise.

John F. Cameron (b. 1800), Mayor of New York City ((Mikeboy)). Supporting the Davis Compromise, Cameron runs as the voice of moderation in the Whig party. He believes that slavery can be abolished peacefully by way of ending the South’s reliance on agriculture, with no need to force an abandonment of the “Peculiar Institution”. His running mate would be Senator Daniel Gallatin of Massachusetts.

Caesar Vinograd, Head of the New York Labor Union ((Red Cesar)). With his bid for candidacy powered by the extreme abolitionists and New York’s laborers, Caesar Vinograd runs again for the Whig nomination. He believes that King did not try hard enough to fight slavery, and opposes the SNP and their compromise fervently.

Democrat Candidate(s)

Thomas McAttack (b. 1798), Senator for Virginia ((ATTACK77)). McAttack came close to the Presidency in 1837, and this time is truly a candidate of peaceful compromise. He supports the Democratic Party Line and the Davis Compromise as a means to avoid internal conflict.

Archibald Cartwright (b. 1784), Congressman from Georgia ((Chimina)). Cartwright himself has said that his policies are simple. The Union should be preserved at any and all costs, which I why he supports the Davis Compromise and industrial growth should be encouraged all around the nation, as the South is indeed lagging behind. He is strongly in favor of enforcing the Monroe Doctrine.

SNP Candidate(s)

Col. Jonathan Lee Davis (b. 1802), Head of the Southern Nationalist Part. The party headed by Davis has been called many things, but he himself sticks to the line that the SNP was founded purely as a Southern way of keeping the Union together. (The speech that Davis gave upon announcing the Davis-Hensdale ticket of the Southern Nationalist Party can be seen [post=12299946]here[/post]).

-----------------------

Exceptional Situations(s):

As the SNP already have their ticket, it’s voting time (Crowd: VOTING TIME!) for the Whigs and Democrats! Party mergers are possible to accept, if at least 2/3 of those voting Whig and Democrat agree (yes or no vote). Once the primary ends, I’ll tally the votes, and should the parties merge (possibly for only the duration of 1841), the winning Democrat and Whig candidates can discuss their ticket.

Sample Ballot (applicable to voters and Democratic/Whig candidates only):

Democrat: John Doe
Merger: Yes

PS. HOW COULD I FORGET! The Davis Compromise passes at 9 ayes to 3 nos.

PPS. Perhaps one final amendment: Temporary Yankee units breaking the 1:1 ratio can be formed in times of war or national crisis (i.e. The inevitable Mexican-American War). What do you think Mr. Davis?

Last edited:
Whig: Arthur King
Merger: Yes

((Now the Primaries have started so.............))

A Plea to the Democrats

I Call upon the members of democratic party to listen to reason. What has the democratic party done for you? lets recount shall we? Did the Democratic Party stop king when he sent troops into texas to suppress the opinions and rights of texans? No. Did the democratic partydo anything to preserve this Union which is begginning to fall apart at its seams? No. Did the Democratic party Support Industrial development in the south, or even try? No. Here are Some things the Democratic Party Did do. The Dimocratic Party did destroy our banking system and destabilize our economy under jackson. The democratic party did turn a blind eye to the worst of master-to-slave cruelties in the south. The democratic party did allow jackson to kick out his vice president then chase him with a army to south carolina. Considering these facts, why stay. The SNP will create real progress in the Southern Economy if I have to sell my plantation for it. The SNP will protect the rights of southerners and all men if I have to die leading the army myself. The SNP will preserve the union if I have to stand on the virginia border and tie a line onto maryland. The SNP already maintains law and order in the constituancies of the southern democrats with the SNM; protecting your citizens from any manner of ills. The SNP already has the widespread support of your voters who might not be your votors anymore if you saty democrat. The SNP offers you positions in our party far above the glass cieling of the democratic party and some of your more esteemed members we have also offered positions in a potential SNP government, so I must ask the most important question of this letter, why stay democrat?

-Thomas J.L. Davis
-God Save the Union and God Save the South