• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Although all this charity is welcomed and needed, It should be the government doing this. President Williams has yet done nothing to support the citizens, veterans, communities and towns of America. We may be in the middle of an election but Williams is still president. He should have begun the reconstruction of America however he lies idle, worrying more about the election than America.

Thomas Howard
Senator of Massachusetts
Defender of Equality and the freedom of choice.

Do not worry Mr Howard, this issue will be adressed by my administration if I do indeed win this comming election. What I propose to do will be laid out in the comming days with the release of the manifestos for each candidate. ((When BBB writes up the Election Update with each candidates manifesto))

I proposed the War Veterans Assistance Act which Congress has ignored so far. The war is also still on and the rebellion has not been fully defeated. We need to occupy all the states in the Union and restore federal control before we can rebuild. I clearly have supported subsidizing factories in the south to ensure they can reopen and expand.

WAR VETERANS ASSISTANCE ACT

1. All members of the US Army or US Navy who have been wounded (as defined in section 2) during their time of service shall be entitled to a monthly payment for the rest of their natural life as long as they are resident of the United States or its territories.

2. Wounded shall mean the loss of all or part of a one limb, loss of an eye or inability to stand.

3. The amount of such monthly payment shall be determined by Congress in the annual budget, but in no event shall it be less than needed to purchase basic needs.

The veterans assistance act is useless. Wouldn't unemployment subsides work better? It would cover veterans as well citizens that have no job because of the war. With the majority of the southern states recaptured I don't see any need to wait. The rebellion is on it's last legs. Just because the rebels haven't been completely destroyed doesn't mean we can't start rebuilding now.

Do not worry Mr Howard, this issue will be adressed by my administration if I do indeed win this comming election. What I propose to do will be laid out in the comming days with the release of the manifestos for each candidate. ((When BBB writes up the Election Update with each candidates manifesto))

I am glad that if you become president we might see some progress in the reconstruction of America

Thomas Howard
Senator of Massachusetts
Defender of Equality and the freedom of choice

The veterans assistance act is useless. Wouldn't unemployment subsides work better? It would cover veterans as well citizens that have no job because of the war. With the majority of the southern states recaptured I don't see any need to wait. The rebellion is on it's last legs. Just because the rebels haven't been completely destroyed doesn't mean we can't start rebuilding now.

Thomas Howard
Senator of Massachusetts

Unemployment subsidies do not cover those unable or too old to work. That is why I have proposed a pension system be established with the War Veterans Act being a measure to bring immediate aid. I would like veterans aid to be supplemented by a fuller pension system for all those unable or too old to work as I proposed in my campaign speeches. The government is starting the rebuilding of the south. You and you Democrat allies are holding up aid to veterans because of political considerations.

You and you Democrat allies are holding up aid to veterans because of political considerations.

Holding up aid? I am not sure how our party is holding up aid. Are you saying this because our party hasn't voted for your act? Your own party does not seem to have voted for it. Your party holds the majority I believe, so why would you need us to vote for it? Can you not get you own party to support it? I would also like to mention this is the first time I have heard of your act and I can't remember you speaking about it before. I also belived unemployment subsides covered the unemployed. I belive injured Soilders that cannot rejoin the army count as unemployed. Elderly people obviously don't get unemployment benefits as they should be getting a pension

Thomas Howard
Senator of Massachusetts

Last edited:
Senator Howard,

I don't believe we have a major difference in our intention to help those unable or too old to work. My main point is that setting up a pension and/or unemployment system takes time and many bureaucrats will have to be recruited and hired. I support a pension system but it can not be done overnight. A measure that gives immediate aid to wounded veterans can be put in place in a shorter time. I think all Parties can work together in these common goals without resorting to calling a proposal to help veterans "worthless".

President Williams

Senator Howard raises a good point regarding unemployment subsidies, but I think what is most important is addressing the glut of veterans returning home with no work to be had due to destroyed factories and farms. Without a livable wage, these men may turn to incivilities to survive, which this country can ill afford. Factories can take months and years to build, so I propose that our government establish Labor Crews which will be paid a fair wage and will set about rebuilding roads, railroads, ports, bridges, and the expansion of telegraph systems. This is especially important in the South, which has been ravaged by warfare. The planned reduction of manpower in the military could support most of the capital needed to launch and sustain this effort, and pay fair wages. Meanwhile, the repair and expansion of infrastructure will give a boost to trade that will see this project paid for by itself within a matter of years from the resultant taxes and tolls. I am confident this system will work because in my area of responsibility, my staff officers and I have employed a similar program providing rations and clothing as compensation for able-bodied men willing to work rebuilding shattered infrastructure to help support themselves and their families if they are without normal work. I commend a certain Colonel William T. Sherman for successfully implementing this program in our area of responsibility that has seen no banditry or crime as a result of this initiative.

This initiative will address able-bodied veterans, while those suffering wounds which limit their ability to work should be eligible for at least a livable pension according to the proposed War Veterans Assistance Act. Perhaps our Congress could also include in the Assistance Act a system that provide smaller pensions for war widows and orphans related directly to the war. I submit these ideas for consideration not only as a Commander of the Army of the Cumberland, but also as Founder and Chairman of the Grand Army of the Republic.

In Service,
General Maximilian Mandrake

I propose that our government establish Labor Crews which will be paid a fair wage and will set about rebuilding roads, railroads, ports, bridges, and the expansion of telegraph systems. This is especially important in the South, which has been ravaged by warfare. The planned reduction of manpower in the military could support most of the capital needed to launch and sustain this effort, and pay fair wages. Meanwhile, the repair and expansion of infrastructure will give a boost to trade that will see this project paid for by itself within a matter of years from the resultant taxes and tolls. I am confident this system will work because in my area of responsibility, my staff officers and I have employed a similar program providing rations and clothing as compensation for able-bodied men willing to work rebuilding shattered infrastructure to help support themselves and their families if they are without normal work. I commend a certain Colonel William T. Sherman for successfully implementing this program in our area of responsibility that has seen no banditry or crime as a result of this initiative.

General Maximilian Mandrake

I support this proposal for Labor Crews and would like it to be part of a Veterans Assistance Act.

We both mean well President Williams. I will give my support to the act if General Maximilian Mandrakes ideas are included. I also didn't call the act "worthless". I believed that it was useless because unemployment subside would cover the Veterains. However with General Maximilian Mandrake ideas, the act has more to offer. I would also like to know what the retirement age will be? Our current bureaucrats could at least start on the unemployment and pension schemes now surely? We could also surely start the reconstruction of America now?

Thomas Howard
Senator of Massachusetts

I too would support a Veterans Act that had General Mandrake's Labor Crews in it, by I would like to point out the fact that there may be no banditry or crime due to the fact that there is a heavy garrison of Federal Troops in the area. I would think that a national census would have to be taken before any age limit for retirement could be decided upon, particulary in the Northern cities where people are being forced into working for longer due to the increasing costs of living. And Mr Howard brings up a good point, why have we not started the reconstruction process in the areas reinstated into the Union? Why is the work being left to Generals Mandrake and Young when the Government itself should be taking action? I myself have had to work countless nights in my short time as Virginia's Senator to at least try to get some reconstruction going, but I only have the authority to act in Virginia, where as the President and his Cabinet can act everywhere.

I too would support a Veterans Act that had General Mandrake's Labor Crews in it, by I would like to point out the fact that there may be no banditry or crime due to the fact that there is a heavy garrison of Federal Troops in the area.

Good point. While a large Federal presence in these areas understandably discourages banditry, I believe putting men to work with no other means is assisting in that matter as well. At the very least, it will help discourage unrest while providing a valuable workforce for the recovery and reconstruction of ravaged areas of our nation. I'm glad to see this initiative is getting some support.

General Mandrake

((Out of interest King, who's your VP? And do you mind if I propose a bill similiar to the War Veterans Bill, but less symbolic and a little more meaningful?))

((Out of interest King, who's your VP? And do you mind if I propose a bill similiar to the War Veterans Bill, but less symbolic and a little more meaningful?))

((All will be revealed in time, or whenever BBB gives the update with each candidates manifesto. And I wouldnt mind at all, its atomicsoda you might have problems with, maybe put what you want into his bill?))

((All will be revealed in time, or whenever BBB gives the update with each candidates manifesto. And I wouldnt mind at all, its atomicsoda you might have problems with, maybe put what you want into his bill?))

It's a little different.

The Rebuilding Act

1. Any man who was wounded and left unable to work in the War of America's Folly shall have food and shelter provided for him and his family.

2. Any woman who's husband was killed in the War of America's Folly and was left with no source of income shall recieve food and shelter for her and any children she had with her late husband.

3. Any man who's property was damaged during the war and have verifable proof it was damaged by soldiers shall recieve compensation according to the property's worth.

4. A pension shall henceforth be set up for those who fought in theur war so that once they have grown too old to work, they may live comfortably.

Last edited:
2. Any woman who's husband was killed in the War of America's Folly and was left with no source of income shall recieve food and shelter along with any children they might have had with their late husband.

Wouldnt, "Any woman who's husband was killed in the War between the States and was left with no source of income shall receive food and shelter for her and any children she may have had with her late husband", sound alot better? What you have makes it sound like we are going to provide her with children that she minght not have had with her husband.

Wouldnt, "Any woman who's husband was killed in the War between the States and was left with no source of income shall receive food and shelter for her and any children she may have had with her late husband", sound alot better? What you have makes it sound like we are going to provide her with children that she minght not have had with her husband.

((lol, I didn't notice that))

:D

Changed.

:D

Fry. Could you make all three tickets pics? :)

When do you need them by? I cannot do any serious work until Tuesday. Large presentation at my job IRL.