• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If Brass becomes President again I'll roll in my grave.

I'll have the last laugh if I get to impose radical reconstruction.

Unfortunately I can predict the results now - dashing, president-avenging moderate-on-things-other-than-abolition (never seemed to disagree with abolition, just with attitudes towards the Southern military structure) Col. Mandrake, running for office and whooping me soundly.

But, as a military man, I don't think he'll abandon his post to run for political office - and even if he has Mandrake's endorsement, I'm pretty sure I can beat Vallejo - who seems to be the obvious candidate for the the new, less powerful leader of the Sympathizers now that Cameron is gone.

Mandrake is a good man, but his attitude of chivalry towards the Southern National Militia ignores the moral and constitutional principles at stake.

And I gave Vallejo a position in the government, yet he was quick to turn on me. But, young Mr.Carr, your father and I had views only separated by a tiny gap, and the rest was personality. He leaned more towards my positions than Cameron's, so I think you and I will get along fine.

Of course I (Jeremiah Brass) am pretty aged at this point, '61 will be my final shot at the White House if I do try to take it.

(( of course if I retire Brass now, I have a greater chance of earning glory in BBB's write ups with a military character son of Brass, increasing future post-war chances of running on a war hero ticket Grantesque

I'll also actually throw Projekt a bone here and add my voice in suggesting that BBB tinkers with the game a bit to give the Confederacy some foreign allies. I wouldn't want the Civil War, which has been and will probably be the largest event of this timeline - building up to it has dominated the game thus far, to end too quickly. ))

sorry i have not been following but as a south carolina senator i of course follow and the south and join the noble confederate cause
Rest in Peace President Cameron long live the south

I'll also actually throw Projekt a bone here and add my voice in suggesting that BBB tinkers with the game a bit to give the Confederacy some foreign allies. I wouldn't want the Civil War, which has been and will probably be the largest event of this timeline - building up to it has dominated the game thus far, to end too quickly. ))

Guys, to alleviate your fears of the war being too quick, here's the statistics (off the top of my head):

Techs: Full 1858 techs for both combatants.

Regular Brigades:
Union 36 (108,000 men)
Confederacy 26 (78,000 men)

Mobilizable Brigades:
Union 41 (123,000)
Confederacy 49 (147,000)

Total:
Union 77 (231,000)
Confederacy (225,000)

See, at least for the first year or so, the forces are going to be roughly equal. This is going to be a war where the Union will win only by grinding the South down to a pulp.

I'm pretty sure I can beat Vallejo - who seems to be the obvious candidate for the the new, less powerful leader of the Sympathizers now that Cameron is gone.

Mandrake is a good man, but his attitude of chivalry towards the Southern National Militia ignores the moral and constitutional principles at stake.

And I gave Vallejo a position in the government, yet he was quick to turn on me. But, young Mr.Carr, your father and I had views only separated by a tiny gap, and the rest was personality. He leaned more towards my positions than Cameron's, so I think you and I will get along fine.
I do not know what my colleague in politics is insinuating here. I voted for Cameron over Hensdale. My position under the Brass administration, as well as the duties I undertook in the Walsh administration, do not constrain me to vote this way or that against my better judgement and hope for progress and reform in the nation.

Nevertheless, my colleague forgets that court precedent considers me to not be naturally born a citizen, due to my birth in what is now territory of the Union, but was not then. While the court may judge otherwise later, given this precedent I could not run uncontested for the presidency. Furthermore, why would I be President when I can serve my country well in other positions?

I am not against my colleague or any other Whig (for I do not know what better to term us, with all these changes of names), but I am for reform and I am for the Union. If that means I must run, then so be it. If it means to support one candidate over another, than I must do that.

---------------------------------------------
and now for an excerpt from:
The Hundred Miles, The Stories of the Civil War
Prologue

It was Christmas time. There was political turmoil, turmoil that would soon grow a deadly edge. William Gallatin was not concerned with either. On December 22nd, 1857, the U.S. ambassador to Mexico was back in his native Philadelphia in the house of his father.

Daniel Gallatin was dying. He had seen his old running mate Cameron again rise to the challenge and the presidency of a troubled nation. He would not see him die, fallen at last to the extremism of a country in distress.

William mentioned the latest news, angry speeches and impassioned letters in reaction to the split between the President and former Vice President Davis. His father listened with interest, but gave no sign of concern or fiery response as he once might have. When William finished, he asked “Is that all?”

“Yes, father.”

“William, I am dying. I wish I could have left you a better world than the one you will inherit, but it is your world nonetheless, and you will learn to face it. Tell Ignacio that too, when he arrives. I am frail, and the capital is far away.

Do you remember your history? Patrick Henry?”

William was puzzled by this request. “Somewhat.” he replied.

“Bring me the speeches book,” said his father, and William brought the old leather manual of Great American Speeches down. Daniel Gallatin began to read.

We have held the subject up in every light of which it is capable; but it has been all in vain. Shall we resort to entreaty and humble supplication? What terms shall we find which have not been already exhausted? Let us not, I beseech you, sir, deceive ourselves longer. Sir, we have done everything that could be done to avert the storm which is now coming on.

“Son, that is all I can say for myself, and for the good men like Mr. Cameron whose legacies you will face in these years. I do not know what you and Ignacio will face in your time, but stand with the Almighty and the unalienable rights that we have passed on into your teaching as well, and I do not doubt that your generation too can stand.”

Daniel Gallatin died later that day. President Cameron died the next, as I shall soon recount.

I was in New York at the time. The thunder of war broke out and I served in the 15th regiment of the region. From my experiences during that horrible war, from some newspaper clippings that I collected from those my family at home sent to me in the front, and from the recollections and letters I have gathered from my fellow soldiers, officers, generals, and politicians, I will present this narrative of a time now engraved deeply into our culture and history.

- George Fensworth

Oh God. :eek: I knew I forgot something.

((You will fix that, right? I am writing a chapter for "The Hundred Miles" and I need to know how Hensdale dies.))

((You will fix that, right? I am writing a chapter for "The Hundred Miles" and I need to know how Hensdale dies.))

I'll try. By the end of Tuesday, it should be fixed.

Excerpt from the Washington Times, taken from the Indianapolis Star:

The moment we have feared for so long is upon us. We must now work right the wrongs that were allowed to transpire for so long to save the Union. This war will be ruinous, but from it we can rebuild this nation, the way it was envisioned, as a phoenix rises from its own ashes. Our enemies are our kin, our neighbors, and our friends, and they shall be after this war ends.

Though it pains me to do so under these circumstances, I will always fight to defend the Union. My solders in the 14th Hoosier Infantry stand with me - ready to visit the pain of Armageddon on those who would stand against our great nation and righteous cause. Contrary to rumors, former President Brass is correct in the assumption that I will not seek a political office in this time of crisis. I better serve my nation behind a rifle than behind a desk. Let us all now unite behind President Williams and march to victory!

Colonel Maximilian Mandrake

sherman.jpg

Caption: "A stern look from Colonel Mandrake is the last thing an assassin, Reb, or zombie President sees before a righteous beating."

Last edited:
By God, the Southern secessionists, Confederates, and slaveholders will feel my wrath! My father spoke in the name of reason, of unity! He fought to defend this Union against all threats, and look how the fiends south of the Mason-Dixon repay him!

My father's wishes will be fulfilled. This Union will be whole, dammit, even if I had to kill every single person, traitor or not, to do it! Slavery will be completely and utterly destroyed in all of its shapes and forms, and I will see to it that any person who even dares to whisper the word "secession" will be tried for treason and shot like the brigands they are!

By God, the Southern secessionists, Confederates, and slaveholders will feel my wrath! My father spoke in the name of reason, of unity! He fought to defend this Union against all threats, and look how the fiends south of the Mason-Dixon repay him!

My father's wishes will be fulfilled. This Union will be whole, dammit, even if I had to kill every single person, traitor or not, to do it! Slavery will be completely and utterly destroyed in all of its shapes and forms, and I will see to it that any person who even dares to whisper the word "secession" will be tried for treason and shot!

No offence is meant Calvin. Your father was a good man and his death was unfortunate. The Same applies to president Cameron and I am deeply sorry for whateer inderect role I played in his death. But back to the point, your fathers death was unforunaute but it is also irrelevant in this case. The war is not a issue of repaying him, but one of protecting our People. ((See "The South Will Fight"))

We cannot just fight to re-induct the south into our union, but free their inhabitants as well! We must fight for equal rights for EVERYONE living within our states! Enough of this soft on the south non-sense, total war against the oppressors! Liberate the south from the racial barriers that the Caucasian majority puts up! EQUALITY FOR ALL! Let us, and the rest of the Union's grand army match into Richmond to put an end to this madness!

((It's hard not being so radical, sorry!))

We cannot just fight to re-induct the south into our union, but free their inhabitants as well! We must fight for equal rights for EVERYONE living within our states! Enough of this soft on the south non-sense, total war against the oppressors! Liberate the south from the racial barriers that the Caucasian majority puts up! EQUALITY FOR ALL! Let us, and the rest of the Union's grand army match into Richmond to put an end to this madness!

((It's hard not being so radical, sorry!))

((Indeed. I'm trying not to make Calvin sound genocidal or too racist, but it's hard when the imagine in my mind is sort of...well, genocidal and racist. Not that I'm like that or anything, I just really get into character sometimes :p))

I think the three of us are going to get along swimmingly. Of course, as the reconstructionist lobby we must put our faith in President Williams and certainly not undermine the war effort. We will advocate for the emancipation of enslaved persons in captured territories and for punishing secessionists to the fullest extent of the law, but there's no reason to believe that we won't be solid supporters of our good president - who after all stuck to his guns over the Department of the South and other issues.

That doesn't mean, given the flux state of our politics, that a member of our lobby won't run for president in '61 should the war continue on; after all competition is healthy. But in the meantime our fullest support and confidence is in President Williams. We want him to succeed and the war to be over as swiftly as possible, of course. But, and I warn, not if that swiftness costs accepting the continuation of slavery or the Southern National Militia! Cozying up to traitors is not an option!

Any of part of the secessionist South that wants to escape full reconstruction - including the banning of the Democratic Party in the South from now until doomsday - need only, in my opinion, rejoin the flock. Hell, I would gladly accept that any state which wishes to re-accept federal authority now need not even contribute soldiers to fight their brothers, much less give up their Democratic Party - only to give up their slaves and their militia, pay their taxes, and follow federal laws.

But those states that continue on to the bitter end and must be reconquered by force, will be punished and FULLY reconstructed.

That's just my opinion as a Congressman of course. I'm sure President Williams will do what is right for the nation in these delicate early days of this terrible terrible war.

The Hundred Miles, The Stories of the Civil War
Chapter 3: Senators Hensdale and Davis

During the time before the Secession of the Southern States and during the first few months of President Cameron's term, A conversation that firmly rooted the framework of secession in Then-Alabama Senator James Davis' mind took place on the Plantation of the slowly dying Senator John Hensdale. Hensdale, who at the time took up heavy drinking at the age of Eighty-One after losing the election to President Cameron, called Senator Davis to his house in order to pass on some of his knowledge, and a warning to the South.

The following is an account by Mr. Davis on the conversation that took place.

Manassas, Virginia
United States of America

"My friend, please, sit down here." Senator Hensdale had in his hand a large, half-filled glass of some heavy liquor, while motioning to Senator Davis to take a seat next to him.

"Senator Hensdale, I am grateful that you called me here today." Senator Davis, taking a seat on the rocking chair, leaned in to hear the soft-speaking Hensdale.

"James, I must tell you. As this nation is today, we are in dire straits. It is obvious that the President today cannot carry this country through these troubled times. I am saddened by the fact myself and my good friend President Brass had ran, for I would not go willingly if I had not done what I could to save this Union."

"Senator, surely you will live long enough to run agai-"

"I shall not. I have already delegated several of my things away. James, I own all the land from Bull Run to the Bull Run mountains. I have already delegated this land between most of my children. President Brass also has a claim on some of this land should he wish to take it..."

"Senator Hensdale, are you alright? What did you call me here for?"

At this point, Hensdale simply straightened up and looked right at Senator Davis, his stance now determined, and looking like he wanted to get a point across.

"Senator Davis, I must implore to you. Work with the President. Carry on my legacy. I have known you in the Senate since you joined, you are a man from Alabama, the South. You can be just the same as a Union man as I am. I am asking you as friend to support and stand behind the Union. Should the time arise, support President Brass, he is a good friend of mine and will advance my views as much as he can, our views are the same."

"Senator Hensdale, I think I can do what I can." It was then that Senator Hensdale went into a coughing fit, visibly weakened. Hensdale's Servant quickly came to his aide and ushered Davis off the porch.

Only 3 weeks later, Senator Hensdale died of what we know today as Liver Failure. Senator Davis attended his funeral, which was a huge deal in Washington D.C. at the time, only to be overshadowed by the President's death a while later. Senator Davis, rattled by the President's death and the Sabre rattling of President Williams and the North and the South, Davis forgot Hensdale's final words, and sided with the Confederate States of America, and later to become the President of the Southern Confederacy.

((Just A "Little Something Extra" of sorts. If things remain as the major southern players Agreed upon Earlier the CSA Gov. is be as such ))

Provisional Government of the Southern Republic of the Confederate States of America

President of the CSA: James Davis (Frymonmon)
General-in-Chief of the Southern Armies (A Military Executive Chosen by the General Staff who oversees the War Effort and Holds a 'Suicide Veto"): Thomas J.L. Davis (Me)
Vice President: Cartwright (Possible If Chimina chooses to secede)
Secretary of State: Edouard Saint-Denis (Komisha)
Secretary of National Production (Minister of Armaments and Agriculture at this point really): Cornelius Sulla Morrison III (Imperator1993)

(Further posts can be added as more people secede)

Using my Authority as Cabinet Secretary of the South and reigning legal authority I hereby and Forthwith establish this provisional Government of the Southern Republic of the Confederate States of America

((See Fry! I told you you could be president one day!))

((Any Questions about particular posts can be directed at me))

The Anthem of the Southern Republic is the Instrumental of Dixie found here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNID02byVV4&feature=related

Last edited:
President Williams addresses nation from Washington DC​

My fellow Americans, I am speaking to you today to introduce myself to the nation and pledge to do everything in my power to preserve the Union and defeat those who wish to destroy the USA. The assassination of President Cameron by southern traitors will not be forgotten or forgiven. The union will be preserved not matter what the cost and all states will be brought under control of the United States government. The illegal succession will not be recognized by my Administration.

I call for an immediate mobilization and conscription of all able bodied men regardless of race or culture. I welcome the African American Freedom Brigade formed by Mr. Vandrove. All loyal Americans regardless of race, culture or nation of birth will be treated equally by my Administration.

I also call upon all the peoples of the rebel occupied states who are loyal to the USA to join our cause and fight against the traitors of the Confederacy. This is not a war against the south, it a war against those loyal to the rebels. To all those in bondage in the rebel occupied states, rise up against your oppressors. You have the support of the USA in your fight for liberty.

This great nation will not be divided. The union will be preserved. God Bless America.

Last edited: