• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
John F. Cameron
Mayor of New York City

Born in 1800 and spent entire life in New York City, son of a clerk and textbook middle class upbringing. Politically a Whig, with sympathies to the working class and staunchly anti-slavery.

((Are we allowed to vote on Bills if our characters aren't congressmen?))

Last edited:
Almost forgot. Mr. King, if you so wish, you may now hold your inaugural speech, which I will link to the first post.

While I am obviously thrilled to see President King won, as the VP elect I must say something.

(There is no way, no how, Texas would ever become a free state in the history of alternate history scenarios. Texas applied to join the Union as an already built country, it itself was determinant of its status. Texas was settled by slave holders from the bordering Southern States. The constitution of Texas, as written by those slave holders, did not outlaw slavery. The constitution applied to the Union would be for a slave state, and it would be ratified by congress. If congress did not ratify, which would not happen, then Texas would not have applied as a free state simple as that. It should not even be a question whether or not Texas should be slave).

I am deeply discontent with this ruling and (simply rhetoric if not used) want a revote on the issue. Perhaps a trade of some other territories, such as Kansas or Nebraska, for having Texas slave?

Last edited:
While I am obviously thrilled to see President King won, as the VP elect I must say something.

I am deeply discontent with this ruling and (simply rhetoric if not used) want a revote on the issue. Perhaps a trade of some other territories, such as Kansas or Nebraska, for having Texas slave?

Well, I must start by saying that alternate history is alternate history, and I did give reason for the Slave/Free vote.

However, I cannot in good conscience deny a reader his request.

Whigs, Democrats, would you be willing to trade Texas for something else, everything north and west of Oklahoma perhaps? Would give us a historical CSA.

Congratulations, Mr. King. I trust that you will stay good on the promises of your party.

I wish to congratulate President King on his victory.

However the prospect of forcing Texas to free her slaves against her will troubles me and makes me fear for the Union.
First, I would like to also congratulate you on your run, Senator McAttack. Obviously, it is no shame to lose to a Whig candidate, and I hope that you will continue to work closely with the administration in your position in Congress.

I too share your concern over Texas. The Union must be preserved. Perhaps we may find a compromise.

((In regards to that, Gallatin would be willing to make a trade for Texas. Perhaps we can bring in one of the border states - Kansas for instance - in as a free state - or maybe Oregon or something (or maybe "all the states of Jackson's colonization plan"). Actually, how prevalent was slavery in Florida at the time? Could we bring it into the free fold, to mix things up a bit? Gallatin will back a bill that trades any of those, or even some less tangible things (such as blocking chances of a Fugitive Slave act kind of law from coming into place, or something).

I would have imagined that this vote by us should lead directly in the AAR to Texas rejecting the Union ie BBB would reject the offer in game. That's what I would have done. :p

Rejecting? No! Never! I explained it, the Texans were fine with freedom. Anyway, rejecting it would mean we'd have to take Texas by war, and no one wants that.

Exactly ATTACK, the Texans would probably rather live under Mexico with slaves than USA without. I think that Texas should, if this vote sticks, remain its own country with slavery. Make the USA take the slaves away from their cold dead hands ;-).

BBB, I wasnt trying to insult the AAR, just saying that the Texas, besides overthrown Hawaii possibly, was the only country which applied for union ship. I would be okay with any other territory undergoing this process, but for Texas it just seems wrong.

I offer Mr mcAttack my deepest condolences and sincerely hope that he chooses to run again in four years time. I believe him to be undoubtedly the best man for the job in the country, and he would be a deep loss to America.

I think a war over Texas would make it interesting (if only narrative and not gameplay), might make the calls for Dixie desperate.

Well, the Texans were in the unenviable position between Mexico, which wouldn't allow them to keep slaves, the US, which just might, or a very bloody, probably short, and conflict-filled independence. (Trust me, Mexico would go straight for the jugular once the truce was over).

Either way, the deed is done. The senate voted, and it came out free. You really should have raised your voices earlier on. :(

I'll concede to this conversation however, and make the transition very, very painful. Would that satisfy you guys?

Okay, let's have a little more of a light hearted Texas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn0iP1pAr_4&feature=bf_play&list=WLB45B758646D142D9

Last edited:
How about you concede, and I can find common cause with the Democrats to call for a referendum ;-).

To everyone who was against making Texas a free state, petition for some type of vote on a compromise or else we may very well end up with Bleeding Texas.

How about you concede, and I can find common cause with the Democrats to call for a referendum ;-).

To everyone who was against making Texas a free state, petition for some type of vote on a compromise or else we may very well end up with Bleeding Texas.

Final offer:

If you get five people to support you, I'll add it as a big talking point of the next election. :) Until then, Texas will bleed. :cool:

Even though the Senate has passed it, the President could veto it if he deemed doing so neccesary for the functioning of the Union, which would mean a revote from the Senate with a supramajority requirement. However I'd hope he doesn't do so.

To keep this union intact for the benefit of this country and our new president, I call for a referendum.

To all those who voted to keep this country intact and let the people of Texas decide how their state will be run, I declare to send your votes again for declaration of Texas as a slave state. With five votes we can have a revote for a possible compromise. If anything, widespread dissidence much elicit some response.

Please send your pledges as soon as possible.

Even though the Senate has passed it, the President could veto it if he deemed doing so neccesary for the functioning of the Union, which would mean a revote from the Senate with a supramajority requirement. However I'd hope he doesn't do so.

He voted free, so I doubt it.

[/FONT]
A Appeal to Congress and Government on the Issue of Texas
from Colonel Thomas J.L. Davis of The Georgia Militia and the U.S. Army​
What has politics in this country descended into. We are literally speaking of invading our brethren in Texas simply because they are unlikely to comply with the whig demand that they forfiet thier slaves and in turn decimate thier own economy. Our government, originally based on the grand ideals of popular soveirgnty and democracy is now trying to use the fear of a second mexican invasion to lure the texans into a deal that is beneficial to this incoming government but detrimental to them. Is this truly Government for the People? and it is us, not the texans who voted on whether or not to retain thier country and thier possesions. Is this truly Government By the People? and the whigs, whose party is made up of those whom would call themselves men of the people and yet many have never worked a day in thier life. Is this truly a government of The People? These values; Government for the People, By the People, and of the People, are a summing up of all we fought two wars against Great Britain for, and yet within living memory of our struggles for these rights we decide to throw them out the window and invade our desperate brethren who only appealed for our help agains a tyrant. The Founding fathers would spit upon the union they have created if they could see what it has degenerated into, and to betray thier ideas is no less than treason. Moreover, if the government has the right to dictate to and remove the rights of people in other countries how long until they begin to do it here. The abolition of slavery in Texas is a decision which will tear this country apart, in georgia there are already protests against it and there would be riots on the streets of savannah if it came into effect. We southerners have not forgotten why we fought for independence, and if we have to fight to protect our rights again so be it. Perhaps the government should take this into consideration when violating these rights. I However have a solution that does not entail war or the breakup of this union we democrats have worked so Hard to Build. It is as follows......

The Davis Compromise​
-Texas enters the Union as a Slave State
-Oklahoma remains a territory open to slavery
-A Ban be instituted on the seperation of Young Children and Married Couples at Slave Auctions
-The Beating to death of a slave be made a crime with a fine to be paid being equivelant to twice market value of the slave and thrice it if the slave is a woman or a child
-All Current Territories North of The Missouri Comprimise line (Except Missouri) become permenant free territories as well as oregon country and the other currently unsettled land remain permenantly free.
-Any Territory annexed from Mexico in the Future be open to popular soveirgnty where the status of the peculiar insitution determined by a vote of people in the state.
-That a Ratio be Established of one Dixie Soldiers for Every One Yankee Soldier in the U.S. Army
-That the Slave Auction Ban in D.C. be expanded to all the counties bordering D.C. as well

We In The State of Geogia Believe this to be a fair comprimise for the people of these united States With Four Concessions to The Whigs and Abolitionists and Four to Slaveholders, Southerners, and Democrats. If this is rejected and a whig candidate continues to act on the tyranny of the majority I will be forced to enter the government, found my own party for the next election, and face the one thing more Frightening than battle.......politics.

-Thomas J.L. Davis and the Georgia State Senate
-God Save the South and the United States

Edit: It took a long time to write this and I see zagoroths proposal, perhaps we could propose The Davis Compromise to the Referendum

Last edited:
That is an excellent proposal. I for one think all of those terms accpetable, except for the 2:1 ratio in the military. That's simply ludicrous.

So, what do you guys think of the Davis compromise?