• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That is an excellent proposal. I for one think all of those terms accpetable, except for the 2:1 ratio in the military. That's simply ludicrous.

So, what do you guys think of the Davis compromise?

I can Edit out the Two to one ratio if the people so desire, but let us see what they think. eh?

I'm broadly in support of the plan, even if reluctantly so. However I suggest two ammendments neccesary for my broader support:

- The fine of beating a fellow man to death should be double the market value of the slave, and triple if the slave is a woman or under the age of 25.
- The soldier ratio to be three Dixies to two Yankees.

I would support the compromise but say that we should settle for a 1 to 1 soldier ratio. The aim is to preserve the Union, not by empowering the South so that it can hold a gun to the head of the North but by ensuring that there is equality between both North and South so that one half of the country cannot overpower the other.

I'm broadly in support of the plan, even if reluctantly so. However I suggest two ammendments neccesary for my broader support:

- The fine of beating a fellow man to death should be double the market value of the slave, and triple if the slave is a woman or under the age of 25.
- The soldier ratio to be three Dixies to two Yankees.

I would support the compromise but say that we should settle for a 1 to 1 soldier ratio. The aim is to preserve the Union, not by empowering the South so that it can hold a gun to the head of the North but by ensuring that there is equality between both North and South so that one half of the country cannot overpower the other.

Both of these admendments are acecptable to me, the treatment by some of my fellow slaveholders of thier slaves is disgusting to me and the 1:1 ratio still retains the core value of my proposal to put more young southern men per capita in uniform, i as a colonel find they make better soldiers

Edit: Perhaps BigBadBob could post the Final Draft of the COmprimise if he agrees with these changes?

Perhaps BigBadBob could post the Final Draft of the COmprimise if he agrees with these changes?

Or perhaps, since I've already linked your post, you could edit the original as we go along?

Or perhaps, since I've already linked your post, you could edit the original as we go along?

Absolutely, with the previously admendments is my proposal acceptable to you?

Edit: The Original post has been edited

Tank Y'all Kindly. Then When shall the referendum on the comprimise begin?

The Compromise shall be voted on in conjunction with the next primary.

((gah, i hate when im away for these big debates >.<))

As I had said before, I shall be returing to my post as Commanding General of the U.S. Dragoons, once my replacement in the Senate has arrived. If it means anything, I support Mr. Davis' proposal for Texas and our Military and have also noticed the superb qualities of Dixies in uniform and wholeheartidly support bring more of them into the fold. I wish you all, our new President King, and, most importantly, our Union peace and good luck for what looks to me, a restless term.

-Nicolas Khur's Farewell Speech From Congress

I heartily support the Davis Compromise, perhaps we can find some return to normalcy around here. I do agree that the last thing we want is a southern politician running on a platform of institutionalized slavery, and so suggest that even those who believe it is just and right for slaves to be freed reconsider the issue.

((gah, i hate when im away for these big debates >.<))

As I had said before, I shall be returing to my post as Commanding General of the U.S. Dragoons, once my replacement in the Senate has arrived. If it means anything, I support Mr. Davis' proposal for Texas and our Military and have also noticed the superb qualities of Dixies in uniform and wholeheartidly support bring more of them into the fold. I wish you all, our new President King, and, most importantly, our Union peace and good luck for what looks to me, a restless term.

-Nicolas Khur's Farewell Speech From Congress

Thank You For your support,although we prefer Southerners/Southerns over dixies......;)

I heartily support the Davis Compromise, perhaps we can find some return to normalcy around here. I do agree that the last thing we want is a southern politician running on a platform of institutionalized slavery, and so suggest that even those who believe it is just and right for slaves to be freed reconsider the issue.

Again, thank you for your support. although i did not mean to provoke fear with my threat to run for pesident with a Southern Nationalist Party

to Projekt 919:

(I was just roleplaying... Or were you still roleplaying?)

(Or is this a dream, or a dream within a dream?)

(Was Still Roleplaying)
(And it is a dream within a dream)
(And I am now going to go plant the idea of seccesion in southerners minds by inception)

Last edited:
I would like to suggest instead...

The Texas Compromise (Status: Shelved due to lack of support)

Section 1: Free and Slave States
- Texas enters the Union as a Slave State, unless they vote against it in a fair referendum.
- Any state to be admitted into the Union north of 36°30' north ((the Missouri Compromise Line)) shall be admitted as a free state, save for the proposed states of Missouri and Kansas.
- Territories south of the 36°30' north parallel shall be open to slavery until formed into states.
- States formed south of the 36°30' north parallel, as well as Missouri and Kansas, shall be open to popular sovereignty over their status as a free or slave state.

Section 2: Fugitive Slave Laws
- That a man held for servitude in one area of the country, who then escapes into a territory or state in which the practice is prohibited - the person to whom his labor is owed is hereby empowered to arrest or seize the man, and upon giving ample proof to a Judge, it is the Judge's duty to remove the fugitive to the state or territory from which he fled, or to find compensation to be given to the person to whom the fugitive's labor is owed.
- That compensation for a man held for servitude must be from private or - if decided by a state - state funds, and shall be based on a fair selling price for a slave, placed at no more than 2000 dollars. That if compensation is found, this shall be given to the person to whom the labor of the fugitive is owed, and the fugitive shall be set free.
- That if proof is given in counter to this, that the man was not a fugitive, and resided in the free state or territory in a non fugitive manner, being transported their by his master's orders, or being in residence for a time span of over four years for any reason, then that man shall be declared free, and the Judge may not allow the removal of the man.

Section 3: Treatment of Slaves
- A ban be instituted on the separation of children under nine years of age, and of married couples at slave auctions.
- That the beating to death of a slave be made a crime punishable by a fine determined by a jury. This fine shall be no less than the market price of a slave and one half again, and no more than twice the market price.

Last edited:
I would like to suggest instead...

The Texas Compromise

Section 1: Free and Slave States
- Texas enters the Union as a Slave State, unless they vote against it in a fair referendum.
- Any state to be admitted into the Union north of 36°30' north ((the Missouri Compromise Line)) shall be admitted as a free state, save for the proposed states of Missouri and Kansas.
- Territories south of the 36°30' north parallel shall be open to slavery until formed into states.
- States formed south of the 36°30' north parallel, as well as Missouri and Kansas, shall be open to popular sovereignty over their status as a free or slave state.

Section 2: Fugitive Slave Laws
- That a man held for servitude in one area of the country, who then escapes into a territory or state in which the practice is prohibited - the person to whom his labor is owed is hereby empowered to arrest or seize the man, and upon giving ample proof to a Judge, it is the Judge's duty to remove the fugitive to the state or territory from which he fled, or to find compensation to be given to the person to whom the fugitive's labor is owed.
- That compensation for a man held for servitude must be from private or - if decided by a state - state funds, and shall be based on a fair selling price for a slave, placed at no more than 2000 dollars. That if compensation is found, this shall be given to the person to whom the labor of the fugitive is owed, and the fugitive shall be set free.
- That if proof is given in counter to this, that the man was not a fugitive, and resided in the free state or territory in a non fugitive manner, being transported their by his master's orders, or being in residence for a time span of over four years for any reason, then that man shall be declared free, and the Judge may not allow the removal of the man.

Section 3: Treatment of Slaves
- A ban be instituted on the separation of children under nine years of age, and of married couples at slave auctions.
- That the beating to death of a slave be made a crime punishable by a fine determined by a jury. This fine shall be no less than the market price of a slave and one half again, and no more than twice the market price.

(In what way is this comprimise different on a notable level from mine? Is there something in the Davis Comprimise you find unacceptable? i am still open to edits and suggestions.)

All the significant differences are located in Section 2. Which not only is morally wrong, it impedes on the rights of free states, and so I cannot accept it.

I would support Section 2 of this new proposal, if the part stating the Government to pay for the slave's freedom were to be taken out. The Government can not be seen to openly support either side of this issue just yet. Let a private interest pay for the slave's freedom if they so wish, but only at twice the value of the slave at the time of seizure in the free states.

All the significant differences are located in Section 2. Which not only is morally wrong, it impedes on the rights of free states, and so I cannot accept it.

Agreed, my proposal is specifically designed not to impede on any exising rights therefore it is much more likely to be accepted by the general majority

I would support Section 2 of this new proposal, if the part stating the Government to pay for the slave's freedom were to be taken out. The Government can not be seen to openly support either side of this issue just yet. Let a private interest pay for the slave's freedom if they so wish, but only at twice the value of the slave at the time of seizure in the free states.

Which Proposal are you currently favoring overall? The Davis Comprimise or the Texas Comprimise?