• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Your issue of total end to reconstruction has been over for quite some time, and an end to corruption in Washito and fair trials for the confederate war criminals aren't going to happen with the current players.))

((Actually, we've all supported fighting corruption, and I favour a fair trial for the Confederates, but that may just be me?))

((Your issue of total end to reconstruction has been over for quite some time, and an end to corruption in Washito and fair trials for the confederate war criminals aren't going to happen with the current players.))

((Actually, we've all supported fighting corruption, and I favour a fair trial for the Confederates, but that may just be me?))

((Point Made King :p))

Welcome Mr Davis, it's good to see the expansion of our party in other parts of the country, thank you for your vote.

((Could've fooled me ;)))

Welcome to the Federalist Party Samuel Davis! I hope we can work as close as my grandfather and your father did together.

Welcome Mr Davis, it's good to see the expansion of our party in other parts of the country, thank you for your vote.

I Thank you both for the welcome. Governer Glynn, would you care to endorse my proposal for a Fair Trial of the confederate Government?

Well. I think I'm going to call it due to an unbelievably low number of voters.

The Polls are Closed.

The candidates are:
Federal: Josaiah Bridgeworthy
Republican: Henry Jarvis
Democratic: Eamon Callahan

PS. It'll be interesting to see when Harrison and Lee Davis meet. Two men who look almost identical, but one is a former Union soldier, and the other the son of the most Confederate of Confederates.

Fancy another run as Vice-President Mr. Walker? Send me your thoughts and ideas for a new platform.

Defence Acts of 1881

Article 1 - Conscription ((Little known fact: Callahan is anti-conscription and not a fan of hasty mid-war conscription acts.))
a. The Federal government shall, in a time of war as declared by Congress, be granted the powers to conscript any eligible male registered to vote between the ages of 21 and 41 for military service.
b. The military service shall at no time be required outside the borders and maritime territory of the United States.
c. The military service shall not exceed 18 months unless the soldier enlists for voluntary service or has avoided service.
d. Exemption from service shall be made in the circumstances such as medical infirmity, mental incompetence, enrollment at a recognised educational institution and situations where children would be left without a legal guardian.
e. Avoidance of service when called shall be punishable by a further 18 months of additional service after the initial obligation has been met.
f. The only acceptable substitution acceptable for one eligible conscript will be another eligible person from the immediate family who voluntarily enlists for the full period of service.
g. All conscripts shall be awarded at least the minimum wage.

Article 2 - Callahan Doctrine ((A more explicit Monroe Doctrine for those who question Callahan's boundaries.))
a. The United States shall intervene to defend any independent nation with an administrative capital within the continents of North and South America that suffers an invasion of their sovereign soil by a nation based on another continent.
b. The United States shall only intervene as stated above if the American nation is not the aggressor.
c. The United States shall not enter into or maintain a peacetime alliance or defensive pact with any American nation that does not allow elections of a legislative body of government.

Article 3 - Military Occupations ((So we don't have to quibble over future occcupations))
a. In the event that the United States occupies territory outside of its antebellum borders after the cessation of war it shall be incorperated into one or more territories.
b. This territory shall have a civilian administration appointed that is made up of natively born citizens of proven character, intelligence and legal history.
c. All locally based regular and irregular forces operating in the occupied territory shall demobilise or be detained in the custody of the local administration.
d. All irregular U.S. forces shall be withdrawn from occupied territory in a time of peace.
e. Once the local administration declare the territory to be free of all belligerent forces the U.S armed forced must withdraw within three months
f. Within three months of the withdrawal of armed forces, an election must be held to decide whether the territory declares nationhood or applies for U.s. Statehood.
g. The united States shall recognise any territory that as a result becomes a new nation, and offer a defensive pact should it not conflict with Article 2.
h. This Article shall not apply retroactively unless given special dispensation from Congress.

Proposed amendments will be seriously considered and given further weight by popular support. I do hope for this to come to a vote alongside the Free Philippine Act and the Presidential election.

((Crap, I'd better get working on my election platform instead of more bills.))

Last edited:
Well. I think I'm going to call it due to an unbelievably low number of voters.

The Polls are Closed.

The candidates are:
Federal: Josaiah Bridgeworthy
Republican: Henry Jarvis
Democratic: Eamon Callahan

PS. It'll be interesting to see when Harrison and Lee Davis meet. Two men who look almost identical, but one is a former Union soldier, and the other the son of the most Confederate of Confederates.

((Would you mind directing me to his character post?))

I Thank you both for the welcome. Governer Glynn, would you care to endorse my proposal for a Fair Trial of the confederate Government?

Hardly matters what I think now anyway.

Congratulations to Mr Bridgeworthy.

Last edited:
Show me where my actions have deviated from the law.

Just because I have not yet reached the final step does not mean I'm not following the letter of the law. I only had a month or two after the peace. so cut me a break.

At this point anyone who promises a plebiscite in Cuba is just saying they won't seek to repeal legislation.

The Cuban Liberty Act from 1857 is old, and written with Imperialistic ambitions in mind. The idea of Cuban democracy in our parents' generation was to "convince" the Cubans to become a part of the Union, not to actually let them decide for themselves. That's why we need a new Cuban Democracy Act, that begins with the Cuban electing their own Ruling Council, and then is quickly folloed up with a vote on Cuba's status. We are not living in 1857 anymore, but in 1880. As the leading democracy it is our duty to allow both the Philippines and Cuba decide their own fate, since that's the democratic way.

((Would you mind directing me to his character post?))

James Harrison's life after 1873 has been documented rather extensively in the updates since he's TTL's Roosevelt, but for 1840-73, [post=12908063]here you go.[/post]

I agree with Mr. Nightmore; the Cuban Liberty Act is outdated, and was imperialistic; hopefully, we can return to our peaceful, trade-oriented foreign policy of old under my admnistration.

(Weird... why did practically no-one vote?))

((Because everyone agrees with me and followed my lead by abstaining until one of the nominees changes their foreign policy and gives our true allies the aid they deserve against the French dogs :p))

As the leading democracy it is our duty to allow both the Philippines and Cuba decide their own fate, since that's the democratic way.

And both aims are unanimously supported by all candidates. Nothing in your bill differentiate your ideas except the article subjecting Cubans to the opportunists of the power vacuum and aristocrats of the old regime.

((Because everyone agrees with me and followed my lead by abstaining until one of the nominees changes their foreign policy and gives our true allies the aid they deserve against the French dogs :p))

((That explains it... I applaud it and shall immediately change my platform :p))

An Updated Bio

President Joe Hayden
DECEASED

Neebe_01.jpg

Joe Hayden was a fisherman and union organizer working in Boston, Massachusetts. He was born Jose Ibarura in New York City to a family of fishermen on January 13, 1837. His father left Spain at age sixteen in order to go to America and make a better life for himself. Upon moving to Boston for work he anglicized his name and got involved in the local immigrant fishermen circles. He was a founding member of the Fisherman's Benevolent Association and has been a long term labor militant and organizer for the rights of fishermen and their families. One of his mentors in the burgeoning immigrant workers' movement was a German by the name of Maximilian Schachtmann and he introduced Joe to the works of Karl Marx, Freidrich Engels, Caeser Vinograd, and Henri de Saint-Simon. Joe became a convinced Marxist, Abolitionist, and Internationalist. During the Civil War, Hayden joined the Union Army and fought under the command of General Mandrake, eventually rising to the rank of Sergeant. After the war, Hayden moved back to Boston and got involved with the local Libertarian Party and became one of the strongest organizers of the Marxist-Vinogradist wing of the party. He wrote several polemics in response to National Vinogradism and the conservatives and liberals represented in the Congress. Within the Libertarian Party he was an advocate of the Vanguard role of the Party, of Radical Reconstruction, of Protectionism, of fighting for Social Reforms, and of Social Revolution. He organized the NLU's maritime trades affiliate. He was elected Mayor of Boston on a reform platform in the 1864 elections and joined the Social Unionist wing of the Libertarian Party in response to Col. Vandroves' call for insurrection.

After a successful tenure as a reformist Mayor of Boston, Hayden successfully ran for the Senate from Massachusetts. He remained a steadfast member of the Libertarian Party until its disintegration, afterwards joining the Federalist Party. He remains convinced of the faults of the current system, but has committed himself to change through reform and political office. Upon the election of President Bridgeworthy, Hayden was appointed Secretary of Industry. After the re-alignment of politics after the election of Vallejo, Hayden switched to the Democratic Party and announced his candidacy for the Presidency. After losing the 1889 election to Samuel Lee Davis, he toured incessantly giving speeches to workers' and immigrants' groups. Running again in 1893, Hayden narrowly won after the economy crashed during Davis' turn. Implementing public works programs and establishing the National Industrial Relations Council to mediate disputes between business and labor, leading to the recovery of the economy. His daughter, Erica Hayden-Vallejo, was elected Representative of New York City as a Federalist in 1894. He ran for a second term in 1897 with Federalist James Harrison as his Vice Presidential candidate on a coalition anti-trust ticket against one of the trust magnates himself, Richard Orleans. The election was close, but ultimately came out in Hayden's favor, he would be the first two-term President since Michael Jamous won a second term in 1869. Hayden died in office on June 6, 1899 after a former ACP member named George Banner shot him at a gathering of Democratic Party supporters.

tl;dr

Name: Jose Ibarura, a.k.a. Joe Hayden
DOB: January 13, 1837
DOD: June 6, 1899
Party: Democratic
Ideology: Left-Wing Social Democrat
Office: President of the United States of America
Hometown: New York City, NY
Residence: Boston, MA
Issues: Interventionism, Full Citizenship, Protectionism, Local Power, Social & Economic Reform, Anti-Imperialism

Last edited:
((Did somebody actually vote for Jarvis? I didn't see any votes for the Republican primary. It seems like nobody likes the Republicans any more; the Federalists have stolen most of our thunder.))

Congratulations, Mr. Jarvis. I would humbly offer my services as your Vice President, if it has not been promised to another.