• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Mr. Khur has always considered New Orleans a home away from home, so you might find yourself an ally with him in the future ;) ))

A Southern Party for the South? I'll sign myself up in an instant!

Regarding these other issues that plague this nation, I see no reason why any territory from Missouri to the state border of California should not be added as a Slave-holding area. While ya'll up in the North may be worried about this institution, there is no more importation, thus the only thing that will happen in a population shift. A slave-holding Southerner with land, is a happy Southerner. A happy Southerner means that this Union of States will remain unbreakable for centuries!

Sure, there is this whole "Abolitionist" movement in the Northern States. I look towards history! This abolitionist thing is nothing more than a temporary obsession. Slavery has, and will exist, for as long as time passes on this planet!

God Save the South, and our Practices!

The Southern Nationalist Party
Discussing%20secession,%20Institute%20Hall,%20Charleston,%20Nov.%2012,%201860,%20Frank%20Leslies%20Illustrated%20Newspaper,%201860.jpg

The Party Convention of 1837

I Thomas Jonothan Lee Davis Speak to you today as both a American and a Southerner

The Recent occurances within this Country have convinced myself of the need for a new party, a party that simultaneously protects the rights of southerners and honors the values that this country was founded upon. We advocate Government for the People, By the people, of the people without the tyranny of the majority advocated by hardliners within the whig party. Those of you here today at this convention saved this union, it is us who created the davis plan that will save the union and it is us in the south who fought against the british heroically at New Orleans, Yorktown, and many nameless other places of less fame. We do not advocate the dissolution of the union, but we need to protect southerners and thier rights. All things mentioned in the Davis comprimise are part of our platform namely the limitation of excesses that can be comitted against our black labour force, the protection of southern rights, and any other principles this country was founded upon. Southerners Unite, both politically and literally, we propose that all southern state militias be brought under a united banner; The Southern National Defense Militia and put under the command of Mr. Khur or Myself. We propose a state capitalism in regard to embassy but at the same time we propose free trade to allow our cotton exports to sell cheaply globally and our imports of british cloth to be bought cheaply.I originally did not want to enter politics, but the current situation has forced my hand to found this party. God save the union but more importantly............................GOD SAVE THE SOUTH!

(Thunderous Apllause)

Current Positions

Colonel Davis: Head of the Party and Commander in Chief of the Militia
Colonel Khur: Inspector-General of the Southern National Militia
Senator Hensdale: Economic Minister of the Party

(These Positions can be refused but I doubt they will)

Last edited:
Perhaps things are moving slightly too quickly... The Whigs have not even disbanded to become Republicans yet and the South is already mobilizing. Maybe we should call it a night and let BBB see the mess this thread has become ;-).

((I WON!? :eek: I really need to check this thread more often))

The people of America have spoken. We have decided to join the civilized nations of the world. I promise by the end of these 4 years, the first step of applying freedom of all people in the land of the free. Many southerners claim we are going to infrindge our their rights. I only have to say one thing: What rights? The right to cruelly hold people to forced labor? What would these slave owners think if the tables were turned around, so that the black owns the white? My guess will be not happy!

Now, even before I assumed my term as President, there is two compromises running amuck. One is the Davis Comprimise, and the other is the Texan so-called compromise. The former is a noble attempt for both sides to see a common ground, and a breeding ground for the first steps needed to kill slavery once and for all. The latter is a bunch of disgruntled Southerners who want to push their agenda and theirs only, under the disguise of a compromise. I will resign before I support any "Fugitive Slave Acts".

Finally, to the people of the South, do not be swayed by the mlk and honey of the Southern Nationalists. The path of Southern "independence" will only lead to ruin. As my duty of President, I will keep this Union together, forcefully if I have to. The right for you to own someone is not worth your life.

Thank you, and here's to a good 4 years!

Last edited:
Perhaps things are moving slightly too quickly... The Whigs have not even disbanded to become Republicans yet and the South is already mobilizing. Maybe we should call it a night and let BBB see the mess this thread has become ;-).

((But the faster my party forms the more powerful it will be by 1840 eh ;-) ))

and you say mobilizing but we are not threatening seccesion unless we are threatened, and only a fundamental threat to our way of life would breed that. our party will not be the spark that sets off seccesion but the explosion that results from it instead

Last edited:
((I WON!? :eek: I really need to check this thread more often))

The people of America have spoken. We have decided to join the civilized nations of the world. I promise by the end of these 4 years, the first step of applying freedom of all people in the land of the free. Many southerners claim we are going to infrindge our their rights. I only have to say one thing: What rights? The right to cruelly hold people to forced labor? What would these slave owners think if the tables were turned around, so that the black owns the white? My guess will be not happy!

Now, even before I assumed my term as President, there is two compromises running amuck. One is the Davis Comprimise, and the other is the Texan so-called compromise. The former is a noble attempt for both sides to see a common ground, and a breeding ground for the first steps needed to kill slavery once and for all. The latter is a bunch of disgruntled Southerners who want to push their agenda and theirs only, under the disguise of a compromise. I will resign before I support any "Fugitive Slave Acts".

Finally, to the people of the South, do not be swayed by the mlk and honey of the Southern Nationalists. The path of Southern "independence" will only lead to ruin. As my duty of President, I will keep this Union together, forcefully if I have to. The right for you to own someone is not worth your life.

Thank you, and here's to a good 4 years!

Your Policies towards me and my Party, Future Mr. President, are schizophrenic indeed. On the one hand you Praise my Davis Comprimise and agree to create penalties for excessive barbarism against ones slaves. At the same time, you claim my party will lead lead the country to ruin and you imply we are "so Called" Southern Nationalists as if our feelings are not genuine. I do not seek to destroy the union, but i do seek to protect my countrymen if needed and return this countries ideals to thier original Glory. Moreover, we would not fight for a rich mans right to own others but to protect our homes, families, and ways of life. This is what I warned of in the whigs, they are so self-righteous in thier causes that they catnnot see thier own lies and that they contradict themselves in addition to thier trampling on Southern Rights.

-God Save the Union and God save the South!
Thomas J.L. Davis, Commander of the Southern National Militia and Head of the Southern Nationalist Party

Last edited:
I accept the position given to me by the party leader. I will help lead this party to greatness!

In response to the future President of the United States,

Mr President,
I would like to make it clear that at this point in time, I can speak for myself, as well as the party, that we do not seek to create a separate government, both North and South need each other to survive in the long run. This party has been simply created to advocate and make sure the one central piece of truth that has bound this glorious Union together up to now, the preservation and expansion of slavery into the southern regions of the United States. The rest of the country may have their "free-states" if they wish, this way both North and South are happy, and this whole "Free the slaves" thing will surely pass in due time - but only if the leadership of this nation takes a strong stance that the Southern US will forever remain a slave-holding area! If this does not happen, while I will not advocate a breakup of the Union, it seems sure enough to happen. I can affirm that as long as Virginia stays inside the Union, I will fight for the Union. But all of that is nonsense talk, this Union will forever be preserved!

God Save the United States, and her President!
Senator Hensdale (SNP - Virginia)

((Unfortunautly, I don't know if you saw but I have already compromised on the ratio and am not willing to drop it completely, I also know that I have the democratic party behind me as well as a signifigant number of whigs. the vote hasnt even started yet and people are openly declaring thier support for my plan; in addition a new fugitive slave act would alienate all the whig support for my bills. Finally, no offense, but considering the lack of a large scale public showing of support for your bill are you really in a position to make demands of my comprimise?))
((Gallatin's in no position to make demands, but he doesn't need a position. Politics has tons of failed legislation, especially in times like pre-Civil War.))

Senator Daniel Gallatin of Pennsylvania:
While due to lack of support I am removing my compromise proposal from the vote, I cannot support an inequal and hampering constraint placed like such an arbitrary yoke on the neck of our fine military. I will support the Davis Compromise, but only on the condition that it is amended to remove this ridiculous rule on military sizes.

- It is detrimental to the army. The north and the south are different numerically. This is self evident - it is not bad in any way, but it simply means that they cannot be acted upon in the same manner. We are unified through our differences in this country. Why should we limit the production of perfectly fine and American soldiers just because of the location of their birth? Why should we force our fine, fair, and responsibly controlled military to discriminate thusly, force it to not recruit based on what is good for our national defense, but instead for what creates a numerical balance as if to whitewash the purely numerical differences between us?
- It is detrimental to the North. The north has more people. It has more soldiers. In turning them away to fit this discriminatory and intentionally unbalanced rule (balanced numerically but not proportionally and realistically), we frustrate the livelihoods of northerners and disturb the natural flow of employment for many. Furthermore, we leave the populous cities of the north with inadequate local military forces to protect them by these arbitrary regulations.
- It is detrimental to the South. The south has fewer people, and fewer soldiers. To meet the quota in any balanced way, we would be draining the reasonable proportion of soldiers from their populations - soldiers who could have been farmers or factory workers. Perhaps men who would be better in those roles - good farmers and successful craftsmen, yet poor soldiers who were but pressed and accepted to serve in the military simply to meet quotas. We would be putting an unnecessary and ridiculous strain on the local areas to house and produce for them, and to pay for their establishment.
- And all for what? We are a republic, not a pit of warlords. The army serves the interests of the country - who can name when the army, acting uncaring of the wills of their civilian leadership, took hostile action against a regional minority? No. We have seen soldiers fighting for craftsmen at home, we have seen soldiers from far inland fighting in wars started over trade concerns, we have seen northerners providing for and supporting Texas, and protecting against raids in the Seminole Wars. What is the difference, unless by discriminating one might try to give a minority an undue power in order to use their military power against the union, in northern and southern soldiers?

I suggest and strongly support an Amendment ((whether as a separate piece of legislation, or just the Davis Compromise with this tacked on, or just changing the Davis Compromise itself - whatever works best for the election system and all)), in which the clause is replaced by:
"That soldier recruitment shall not be discriminated against by regional location, and especially that the issue of fewer Dixie soldiers in the military shall be considered, and recruitment strategies and decisions shall be made to promote the expansion of Dixie soldiers in the military as best supports that region of our Union and the nation as a whole."
Who can refuse that that is sensible and nondiscriminatory policy towards military recruitment?

In other news, in regards to this Southern regionalist party, I call upon my party of the Whigs, and the Democrats as well - all moderates and politicians who love the liberties and common good of the Union - to convene a National Union conference to share and support our common goals, perhaps later to form a combined electoral ticket or whatever else is deemed necessary to promote the best interests of the nation. In particular, I would like to invite the esteemed Senator McAttack, whose sensible judgement and reason would be much needed in these troubled times. Not by armed men and bellicose rhetoric will we share our common goals, but with compromise and thought and beneficial dialogue from all members.

You claim that by forming a Southern Nationalist party that you protect the right of the southerner, and the southern states. Yet, by nationalizing are you not advocating illegally seceding from the union!? And more, are the Negro citizens living in your land not Southerners as well? Do their lives, and rights mean nothing to you as well? I, Ceaser Vinograd, Chairman of the New York State Labor Union, propose centralized military intervention in the southern states to stop these hate mongering, southern nationalists from destroying the union, and harming more innocent lives that they do not even consider human beings! Equality for all is written in our founding documents, should it not be enacted as such then?

Whoa! You leave for 7 hours...

Well, with the SNP gaining so much support, I cannot deny its existence. However, I do still object to ratios on soldiers. This is 1830's America, not 1920's China. Just don't be holding conventions yet.

Also, please remember that I still control this thread, so don't start new parties willy-nilly.

Who knows. Perhaps in the next election, we may see everybody else band against the SNP.

PS. With all this political action, I might not be able to get the update to you until tomorrow!

Whoa! You leave for 7 hours...

Well, with the SNP gaining so much support, I cannot deny its existence. However, I do still object to ratios on soldiers. This is 1830's America, not 1920's China. Just don't be holding conventions yet.

Also, please remember that I still control this thread, so don't start new parties willy-nilly.

Who knows. Perhaps in the next election, we may see everybody else band against the SNP.

PS. With all this political action, I might not be able to get the update to you until tomorrow!

((The Convention was merely the establishment of the party. Nothing More at this point. In Addition, the public seems to have accepted the Davis Compromise with the ratio quite readily with not even a single vote extraneous of the author for the Texas Comprimise. I apologize for establishing the party without your consent, but I suddenly gained notability with the suggestion of the davis comprimise and with the support of Mr. Khur and Senator Hensdale I felt like the time to act was now or never. A lot happened in those seven hours, and I doubt the Whigs and the Democrats will be able to sort out thier differences enough to run against the SNP. and while a 1840 victory is unlikely we could become a powerful swing vote for the election if we were to withdraw our candidate))

I, Ceaser Vinograd, Chairman of the New York State Labor Union, propose centralized military intervention in the southern states to stop these hate mongering, southern nationalists from destroying the union,

And You Sir Accuse me of being a threat to the union?.............................you have to appreciate the whig sense of humor and well timed irony. By issuing statements like this all you do is convince us southerners of our need to form a National Party to protect our rights.

-God Save the Union and God Save the South

Edit:

*Cough*

And Mr. Gallatin, I shall not remove the ratio because as I have already said I have already comprimised on the Issue. And While a National Union Party is a brilliant Idea you would never be able to reconcile your differeces with the democrats and beyond that the Southern Nationalist party does not advocate seccesion unless the Southern People or way of life is threatened. A National Union Party that passes legislature along the lines of Mr. Cesar of New York would be a threat along those lines.

Last edited:
((The Convention was merely the establishment of the party. Nothing More at this point. In Addition, the public seems to have accepted the Davis Compromise with the ratio quite readily with not even a single vote extraneous of the author for the Texas Comprimise. I apologize for establishing the party without your consent, but I suddenly gained notability with the suggestion of the davis comprimise and with the support of Mr. Khur and Senator Hensdale I felt like the time to act was now or never. A lot happened in those seven hours, and I doubt the Whigs and the Democrats will be able to sort out thier differences enough to run against the SNP. and while a 1840 victory is unlikely we could become a powerful swing vote for the election if we were to withdraw our candidate))
((There's not yet been anything to support for against the ratio, much less a vote. Gallatin's Texas Compromise was stretching things in other ways too (especially with the Fugitive Slave laws removing northern support, which would theoretically be the support which would be against the ratio). The ratios are also a bit strange for the time period as well - not much more than a gradual-abolitionist president, but still perhaps not exactly normal. It seems we moderated one weird anomaly with another.

In any regard, I'm looking forward to the next update. I think we've gotten to the end of what we can extrapolate and play out now, and the in-story repurcussions of all this stuff is going to be very interesting to see. ))

((There's not yet been anything to support for against the ratio, much less a vote. Gallatin's Texas Compromise was stretching things in other ways too (especially with the Fugitive Slave laws removing northern support, which would theoretically be the support which would be against the ratio). The ratios are also a bit strange for the time period as well - not much more than a gradual-abolitionist president, but still perhaps not exactly normal. It seems we moderated one weird anomaly with another.

In any regard, I'm looking forward to the next update. I think we've gotten to the end of what we can extrapolate and play out now, and the in-story repurcussions of all this stuff is going to be very interesting to see. ))

(( Which is part of the reason the SNP was formed, a Abolitionist whig president in 1836 combined with radicals like Cesar and the Situation in Texas created a equal and opposite reaction, the SNP))

((Thanks for acknowledging me as one of the radical trouble makers, like to know I'm playing the part well.))

((Indeed you are! What do you think of my roleplaying, I think I msut play the part of the Southern Nationalist pretty well to get your character so stirred up ;-) ))

edit:((Nevermind the question, I'm turning in for the night))

Last edited:
((Indeed you are! What do you think of my roleplaying, I think I msut play the part of the Southern Nationalist pretty well to get your character so stirred up ;-) ))
((His character is a radical liberal agitator from the north. I don't think you have to try too hard to stir it up as anything vaguely close to a southern nationalist :p Regardless, your character is one darn fine radical southerner if I might say so.

I wonder if anyone wants to chart out the ideologies of the various characters in this thread. It would be a pretty amusing figure.))

J. Nightmoore: Regarding the Davis Compromise, I am not against a compromise, but it gives too much influence to the Slave States. Especially the idea that the army should be regulated in such a way is just wrong. I would wish to add that in the future the status whether a State is free or allow Slavery could always be decided through a referendum.

Last edited:
I oppose Section 2, because the entire institution of slavery in our nation is based on the fact that whites, slaveowners, are superior to blacks, the slaves. If the slave has shown the ability not only to escape, but to escape over the state border, and the slaveowner does not have the ability to stop him, then quite clearly the slaveowner is in no way superior to the slave.

Yours sincerely,
Eldud Walsh,
Democratic Congressman for Virginia.

((Woah, missed a couple of pages. Which part of 'only the controller of the AAR may form political parties' did you lot not understand?))

It's a common saying that a week is a long time in politics, never is this more true than in times of crisis, also it is nevermore blatant that in the realm of civilised political debate can one's passions truly be released and such times when a man is standing for what he believes in are the shining hours of politics.

However I look at our fast-evolving political landscape...diplomatic landscape may be more appropriate at this time, and think, how did we get here? Not long ago I believed the Davis compromise would see an end to talk of Southern Nationalism, instead of acting as a barrier to split in the nation it’s acted as a catalyst. If politics were to become a single issue debate, on slavery, it would be detrimental to the Union, the South, us, and most importantly the people we represent.

I am an abolitionist; that is something I admit freely, however I do not, as current President King does, support what would be called a jingoistic policy on the matter. Only in time can the disgusting practice of slavery be ended in this land, and only through enthusiastic cooperation on part of both sides, economic development and industrialisation in the South, and gradual agreements, compromises and reductions in the numbers of the unfree can slavery, and therefore the issue of its abolition be put to rest. However certain Southerners argue that it will die in its own time without change in our system, I assure him this is not the case.

The greatest recent stepping stone to healing the North-South divide is the Davis Compromise, which is why I supported it, not without my qualms true, but I supported it anyway. Because a truly United United States of America is the only way we can avoid the wrath of Britain, beat back a vengeful Mexico, or otherwise resist the forces of foreign Imperialism. If such forces were to occupy American soil; none of us would be free. Because of this, because I believe that my party is too staunchly in opposition, however the SNP too staunchly in support to the institution and practice of slavery, I shall seek the Whig nomination for President at the next Primary, and if I were to be elected I would offer high position in the administration to Thomas J.L. Davis.

By doing so I hope to calm tensions on both sides.

-John F. Cameron
-Mayor of New York City