• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jpasher

Sergeant
14 Badges
Feb 21, 2010
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
Never done an AAR before, thought I'd give it a shot! I've decided to give Kaiserreich a go -- also for the first time -- and I've chosen Rhodesia as my nation.

I've modded Kaiserreich very, very slightly to allow me to do this; literally all I did was I removed the Southern Rhodesian core provinces from South Africa, then started a game up as South Africa and released Rhodesia; then surrendered and reloaded as Rhodesia. That's it.

This AAR's backstory is the standard Kaiserreich history, but with one small difference -- South Africa never annexed Southern Rhodesia, which instead became independent as "Rhodesia" with South African sponsorship. Anyway, here is our situation:

afg4dj.png

There we are! To the north and west we have the German puppet Mittelafrika, to the south we have our friends the South Africans and to the east (and potentially the north-west) we have the Portuguese. IC is presently 0, though we have 6 "off-map" (which for the purposes of this AAR we'll say is assistance from Downsouth), and our main resource is the 25 or so rare materials coming out of Bulawayo. We have cores on our home provinces (Salisbury [capital], Bulawayo and Wankie) as well as the former Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland, which we will in due course set about retaking... Other targets include Beira, for a sea outlet if nothing else...

Will update soon.

Contents
Chapter One: The Jewel of Africa
Chapter One and a half: Meanwhile...
Chapter Two: An army marches on its stomach
Chapter Two and a half: Radio One Salisbury World News, 2 April 1940
Chapter Three: The Liberation of Mozambique
Chapter Four: Selling the New World
Chapter Five: Armed and Justified
Chapter Six: Jungle is Massive
Chapter Seven: Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

Last edited:
Chapter One: The Jewel of Africa

My first action is to move my lobby slider one tick to the left. This also gives me the option to show you my cabinet and my sliders at game start.

2r213wy.jpg

My second action is to get an industry drive going -- we're not going to be blasting any Mittelafrikaner heads unless we build up some industry, after all... I earmark four factories to go up in Salisbury before we move on to anything else.

8zekco.png

Then I leave the deputies in charge, jump in the vehicle with my rifle and retire for Wankie for some target practice while the factories go up...

vo5t6u.jpg

My trip does not last long, however; a message comes from Salisbury regarding the Fascist parties:

2w68eoh.png

Of course I ban them; what of the progress on the factories? I ask... Still going up? On with the hunting, then...

Sable-Bull-Shot-In-North-Eastern-Rhodesia.jpg

Soon after, I discover that a large amount of my produced rare materials are being lost through overstocking -- I therefore move to trade them to Canada (in a stupidly one-sided trade in their favour) so that it can at least be used to improve our relations... but they evidently see through this ruse, cancelling the deal after two days.

The first factory goes up on 29 December 1936; meanwhile all hell has broken out in Russia, with the government there fighting both the Soviets and the Siberians...

Then nothing much happens as far as I'm concerned until October 1938, when South Africa claims Mozambique and declares war! I instantly ally with SA and use my accumulated supplies and cash to buy a couple of their infantry divisions, which march straight into Mozambique unopposed...

73e9a8.png

A CHALLENGER APPEARS!

2n0615l.png

To be continued..?

Last edited:
Rhodesians never die!
katzen-kratzen said:
Ian Smith would be proud!

"R" is for the regiments who fight the winning fight;
"H" is for the home fires that the folks are keeping bright;
"O" is for the other ranks and officers as well;
"D" is for the die-hards who will even fight in hell;
"E" is for the enemy who just won't ever win;
"S" is for the spirit of our men that won't grow dim;
"I" is for the independence that we have to share; and
"A" is for the arms that we will always have to bear; and
The first word in "Rhodesian" is "Rhodes"...
That's a name that everybody knows!
And it may be as Rhodesian as our flag of white and green,
But the last word in "Rhodesian" is "Ian"!

:D

Thanks for the kind words, another update coming over the weekend!

I never read AAR's, but this looks interesting. :) You born in Rhodesia? If so, my hat is off to you.

I'm afraid I'm too young to have been born in Rhodesia myself; I was born in London, though I did later make the migration back to "Zimbabwe"... (sigh). Then they refused to extend my work permit (I wonder why $$$$$) and I had to leave again. I used to be all progressive and say "Zimbabwe", but not after that.

Chapter One and a half: Meanwhile...

While Rhodesian police parade through Beira...

73.jpg

... off-duty Rhodesian and South African troops crowd around the radio to listen to the Springboks-Rhodesia exhibition rugby game being played in Salisbury.

trackingspoor.jpg

It's unfortunate for them that they have to make do with radio commentary.

28wkqwh.png

Despite his country going through war both on and off the rugby field, Prime Minister jpoc finds more pressing matters.

f34ymv.png

Last edited:
An interesting AAR, subscribed. Shame about the Fascist parties event, you would think we would have deleted that by now or at least changed it to national-populist.

Last edited:
Chapter Two: An army marches on its stomach

A year into the war, and Prime Minister jpoc has managed to tear himself away from his most attention-grabbing constituents for long enough to add three Rhodesian cavalry divisions to his armed forces... The Rhodesian and South African expeditionary force encamped at Beira has only one thing in mind, of course.

2jfn2uq.png

Meanwhile, Prime Minister jpoc puts plans into motion to improve the railway between Salisbury and the newly-conquered coastal territory of Beira.

10zbebn.png

A severe beer shortage develops at the front, but it's business as usual at Joint Operational Command.

dzh4dv.png

Their Castle supply gone, the combined Rhodesian-South African force sobers up and realises that the Portuguese may have some beer left.

charge.jpeg

No contest.

nc1d9t.png

No beer.

scowl.jpeg

To be continued...

Chapter Two and a half: Radio One Salisbury World News, 2 April 1940

Good evening, listeners, this is Hendrik van der Lecq with the Radio One Salisbury World News at 7.

01_126388.jpg

Tuesday, 2 April 1940, Salisbury: Marvellous news from the Mozambican front. At lunchtime today, troops from the 1st and 2nd Rhodesian Light Infantry divisions marched into Ulonge.

f6fyo.jpg

Also today, the Rhodesian African Rifles announced that a Shona man from Sinoia has become the first African trooper to pass officer training. Captain Edson Kamuteyani, a former school teacher, takes up his commission in the RAR later this week.

blaccap.jpeg

In world news, today was a big day in all of the world's ongoing conflicts. Radio One Salisbury understands that Paris remains under German occupation in what some are labelling the "Second World War". British, French and Italian syndicalists find themselves fighting against both those loyal to the legal British monarchy -- presently exiled in Canada -- but also against the newly-syndicalist German Empire and her allies. How fortunate we are that responsibilty for Rhodesia lies within Rhodesia!

159jpu.png

In the ongoing Spanish Civil War, the three-way stalemate between the crown, the Carlists, based in the north, and the Catalan-dominated syndicalists continues.

2qwq8ok.png

In Russia, royal forces have pushed the Soviets far back towards Petrograd, and hope for a swift resolution. Our source in Moscow labelled the mood as "confident and jubilant".

r0crjk.png

And finally, two major events in the American War today. Pacific States air command has been criticised for the bombing of syndicalist partisans in Wyoming earlier today, while troops loyal to the Washington government have today made significant strides into the American south, taking the key coastal city of Houston this morning.

161yxqw.jpg

That is the Radio One Salisbury World News, on Tuesday 2 April 1940, and this has been Hendrik van der Lecq reading it. Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
Chapter Three: The Liberation of Mozambique

The Rhodesians, their resolve made stronger than ever by the stone cold sobriety brought on by the lack of chibooli, push on into Mozambique.

bush.jpeg

Out of supply, the Portuguese garrison had already disintegrated when the Rhodesians reached Porto Amelia on 15 April 1941.

x4p6ci.png

After ripping the town apart to find the Portuguese lager stash, the tired troopies take a well-earned break.

laughter.jpeg

A plan is drawn up between Joint Operational Command and the Mozambican colonial leaders: The decision is made to complicate Portugal's situation by declaring Mozambique's independence. Geopolitically this is a brilliant ploy, transforming the inital South African aggression into a war for Mozambique's freedom and independence. Sufficiently convinced (and really with no choice), a group of local Mozambican officials issues the declaration from Lourenco Marques on 6 May 1941, adding a third prong to the post-colonial pitchfork prodding uncomfortably into the Mittelafrikaans underbelly. Beira and the surrounding corridor remains Rhodesian, splitting Mozambique in two; for some Mozambicans, this leaves a slight bitterness.

2n7kq5j.png

Elsewhere, France has fallen to the Germans, who have split it up into a Kingdom and various Grand Duchies...

24wdn5y.png

... and despite having defeated Bolshevism, the Tsar's work is never done. Siberians, Cossacks, Turkmens, Ottomans and more all have a bone to pick with the Russians, it would appear.

5oea9z.png

To be continued...

Last edited: