• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sid Meier

Time Lord
91 Badges
May 4, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
****UPDATED ORIGINAL POST****

The goal of this project is to take the absolutely gorgeous map from 'Darkest Hour' and put it into what I in my subjective and personal opinion consider to be the better "game" which is Arsenal of Democracy.

Why do I like AoD (Arsenal of Democracy) more? It redoes ground combat, it redoes air combat, it radically changes naval combat; it rebalances much of the game. It adds in Hearts of Iron III's complex supply system without being "too" complex and lacks the same bugginess.

In short I felt AoD on its own is the better game in nearly every way.

Not that I dislike Darkest Hour, but its very much a 'continuation' of the same sort of game Armageddon and Doomsday were and continues the original vision of Paradox. While Arsenal of Democracy does much of whats different 'under the hood'.

***Below Link is broken, give me a bit to fix.***

Release Candidate 5v1.001

Instructions:

Take the Arsenal.exe from your version 1.08 AOD and then place it in the main directory above; then the 4 lightmap.tbl files plus the adjacent.tbl files from the Darkhest Hour map/map_1 folder and put it into "Map" folder for the folder above.

Thus, you must already own Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy to use this mod...

Special Thanks To:
Code:
Josip (For the key work to get the DH map to work in the first place.)
Su.Th.Fy (For helping lighten work load)
Descriner (For his graphics).

Last edited:
I think getting the map to work with AoD would be quite straightforward actually. A lot of copypasting with some minor editing. The DH team have already made most of the work, changing the province ID's in the Scenario files and in the events. You would just need to port some of the files into a AoD format.

The problem would be to get the AI of AoD to work properly with DH's provinces. I have no how hard this would be.

Thats not too important, just assume everyone is human, its for the purpose of converter someone else I can get to maybe fix the AI files.

Specifically what do I copy and paste and what would I need to edit for it to load?

Last edited:
Thats not too important, just assume everyone is human, its for the purpose of converter someone else I can get to maybe fix the AI files.

Specifically what do I copy and paste and what would I need to edit for it to load?

Try replacing the AoD map directory with the DH one? Map mods exist for AoD, I don't see how it would be different.

However one of the DH devs said this earlier.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...n-about-DH&p=12258338&viewfull=1#post12258338

I'm not sure what he means though.

I'm currently working on transferring the DH map to AoD.

Awesome! Let me know if there's any tedious work I could do.

Okay I tried a few different ways and it keeps resulting at some point with the game no longer responding (so if you ctrl alt del it'll say not responding) and the window goes gray/white.

No meaningful error in which to figure out where it got stuck on, we assume the scenario file at some spot but can't narrow it down.

Okay, I did the following so far:

1) Clean AoD 1.06 installation
2) Clean DH 1.01 installation
3) Copied the map folder from C:\...\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\map
4) Copied the province.xcl and province_names.xcl files from DH to AoD
5) Copied the scenario folder from DH. I erased the 1914 folder.
6) I modified the 1936 scenario file (see attachment): all the information was deleted except the most basic.

The problem: AoD loads the 1936 scenario... and stops when loading the provinces. No crash, no error message, nothing. :(

View attachment 1936.rar

Maybe we should pool our resources together and make this like an official mod project :D Leonaru got time to join us on Teamspeak?

Specifically I think it stops loading at "Initializing Provinces".

thx for the scenario. (working with sid above, while he is busy chatting up people i am doing all the hard work)

Right so I tried a few things.

Tried your approach, as well as the reverse, using a DH folder as base and adding in needed AOD elements, too many to list (but litterally as little as possible) and eventually got it to same point, a lockup on loading provinces from the AODgame.exe, suggesting that it is the AOD exe that is the problem, and unfortunately out of our hands :(

I am still going to play with some things in both versions to see what i can come up with.

Last edited:
Eureka, its actually NOT frozen but simply being REALLY REALLY SLOW, itll spit out an error eventually, try switching to windowed mode and waiting a bit.

When the game chokes at initializing scripts what does that mean?

Last edited:
It sounds like there are event (or other) commands that have been created in DH but not in AoD. When you copy files with these new commands and try to run them with AoD they don't work (as AoD doesn't have them).

Maybe we should pool our resources together and make this like an official mod project :D Leonaru got time to join us on Teamspeak?

Specifically I think it stops loading at "Initializing Provinces".

Eureka, its actually NOT frozen but simply being REALLY REALLY SLOW, itll spit out an error eventually, try switching to windowed mode and waiting a bit.

AOD is actually calculating a new navaldist(ance).tbl file when it seems that it's stuck. Simply wait 5-10 minutes and the scenario should have been loaded. To avoid corrupting your AOD I'd recommend using JSGME which allows you to undo any changes you've made without harm. (make a backup copy of the new navaldist(ance).tbl file and install it with the new map)

Meh, I am perfectly fine with 15 trillion copies of paradox games, that how I've always modded :p

Anyhow, at the moment I am not certain what is causing the hold up. We were using the bare minimum number of files to get the map working, throw in a modified version of the above scenario with as little as possible in it, no events or ai, and yet it still stalls :S

I'll go double check that everything is coded the same was as something normally from AoD, but I am just not seeing it right now.

EDIT: DH forum devs, suggest it is a problem with AOD not being to handle DH's distance.tbl file, sigh.

If that is the case not sure if there is anything that can be done on our end to remedy it.

Last edited:
I think that Mexbuild's worldmap is the best project. It has accurate province borders for a date like 1945 and the size of them are correct.

Aren't they nowhere near done though?