• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BeardedHoplite

Sitting in a Tin Can.
53 Badges
Aug 19, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Darkest Hour is pretty good. I am about 2 years into the WWI campaign, and i really love the new map, the tech tree (haha 1870 infantry) , and unit pictures. My only complaint is WHY DOES IT TAKE SO GODDAM LONG TO BUILD DIVISIONS? 200+ days for a single unit with max intervention at peace is a bit much. While it is better in wartime, i don't like having to build the builk of my army while at war just to get them fast.

The question is: What is Darkest Hour Light?

Darkest Hour is pretty good. I am about 2 years into the WWI campaign, and i really love the new map, the tech tree (haha 1870 infantry) , and unit pictures. My only complaint is WHY DOES IT TAKE SO GODDAM LONG TO BUILD DIVISIONS? 200+ days for a single unit with max intervention at peace is a bit much. While it is better in wartime, i don't like having to build the builk of my army while at war just to get them fast.
Sorry, but this is how it was designed. Creating divisions took a lot of time.

Darkest Hour Full contains the new 1914 and 1936 scenarios with the new DH map, tech tree and events/decisions.
Darkest Hour Lite contains the old HOI2 grand campaigns and battle scenarios with the old HOI2 map, but with most of the new DH features enabled (like the speed improvement for example).

IIRC When we looked at this, the quickest time we found for a division to go from authorization to actual deployment was about 9 months. This was also the first US Army division to be raised without being formed around the nucleus of an existing formation during WWII.

IIRC When we looked at this, the quickest time we found for a division to go from authorization to actual deployment was about 9 months. This was also the first US Army division to be raised without being formed around the nucleus of an existing formation during WWII.

I like the way the team modeled this. I think many people are thinking of WWII divisions and times when they start to play the WWI scenario. Also a vast majority of the WWI divisions already had a trained manpower pool in the vast reserve systems of the day. It takes time to train, equip, and deploy a division. I couldn't imagine how long using the tech from 1914. My two cents.

while i think the recruitment times are ok if a little pain from length, what i would like is them to cost less IC to represent the production of equipment as a more consistent general pace... p.s. i might try and mod it later and see what happens it should allow for more recruitment and my idea for this is from the ships in this game compared to vanilla HOI2 (i love the time it takes to build them, it makes you know you are hurting the enemy when you are sinking their ships :p)

They were often created around existing regiments and raised to division strength, that didn't take as long as 9 months, but since regiments are not simulated within HoI2, it should be already implemented that a new division is formed around an existing smaller unit. Also take in comparison that many Soviet rifle divisions were formed within only weeks in 1941 and turned into full infantry divisions. Now with DH, it is impossible to simulate that. Also take in mind that it will lead to an extremely difficult to unplayable game if a larger amount of divisions will be lost in just one single battle with DH.

The best solution would probably be to keep build times as they are, but make it possible to break off a regiment from an existing division via decision. As long as the division has, say, 50+ strength, you can activate the decision; the parent division loses 20 strength and you get another division of the same type and model with 20 strength, but no experience. This should cost a bit of supplies (200?), and the AI's use of it should be controlled with events.

Reinforcing costs a bit less IC than building from scratch, which will represent the work put in by the divisional nucleus, as well as the supplies they are themselves consuming.

And there needs to be some provision in place to prevent abusing this in conjunction with partial mobilization (an easy but unrealistic solution is to make part-mob required).

Last edited:
I think they should remain as the creators intended. After all as the player one can mod the time needed to create them.