• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My game keeps randomly crashing around the Spanish Civil War. I'm playing as Germany and allied with them at the start, keeps crashing a few days after I land troops in Spain.

I also had a CTD while playing as Germany that I think is related to the SCW. It happens every time at midnight on 13 July 1937. I played through two games and it happened both times. The only major constant thing that I saw happening was the SCW - in the first game the Austro-Hungarian Empire descended into civil war, but the US did not. The second game it was the other way around. As an experiment the second time around I loaded as the US and got past the date, then reloaded as Germany and it was fine. Last night I had another CTD in late 1939 but I haven't experimented yet to see if it repeats or not.

The crash you are experiencing is the "The Ahnenerbe Expedition to Tibet." event firing for Germany. This event fires fine for an AI player - and - if I remember correctly, offers no tangible effects and can be removed from the game files. Until a fix is found for this of course. Removing this doesnt prevent the rest of the Expedition event chain from firing.

This event will crash your game if you continue playing as Germany through the 13-14th of July, 1937, as Germany. As said, it doesnt seem to cause this issue for an AI player.

If you wish to remove the event for now so the AI doesnt mess with your Germany - Head to: \Kaiserreich for DH\db\events\KAISERREICH\CENTRAL POWERS - Open flavour events and control-f for the first "The Ahnenerbe Expedition to Tibet" event and you can safely remove it. Of course, do provide eug and cfg files for bug fixing to the DH team. I unfortunately remedied my own stopgap solution ;).

Here's a question about the Italian Federation AI... In multiple playthroughs as Austria, the Federation will choose to go to war with me during the Civil War in order to claim Trent and Venice.. But then never attacks! My border is -totally- unguarded... No fortifications, no units, no nothing. The only military action the Italians ever take against me is to land troops in Croatia, if they're allied with me... They've not once tried to take back their actual territory, and just leave units sitting idle on the unguarded border.

The crash you are experiencing is the "The Ahnenerbe Expedition to Tibet." event firing for Germany. This event fires fine for an AI player - and - if I remember correctly, offers no tangible effects and can be removed from the game files. Until a fix is found for this of course. Removing this doesnt prevent the rest of the Expedition event chain from firing.

This event will crash your game if you continue playing as Germany through the 13-14th of July, 1937, as Germany. As said, it doesnt seem to cause this issue for an AI player.

If you wish to remove the event for now so the AI doesnt mess with your Germany - Head to: \Kaiserreich for DH\db\events\KAISERREICH\CENTRAL POWERS - Open flavour events and control-f for the first "The Ahnenerbe Expedition to Tibet" event and you can safely remove it. Of course, do provide eug and cfg files for bug fixing to the DH team. I unfortunately remedied my own stopgap solution ;).

Thanks, I appreciate that. The other CTD (in 1939) didn't repeat.

Playing as Germany I noticed the "Zerstörerflotte" which is based in Brugge is actually based somewhere in the middle of Romania, some 1600 km away from Brugge and landlocked. (just click it to see what I mean)

Playing as Germany I noticed the "Zerstörerflotte" which is based in Brugge is actually based somewhere in the middle of Romania, some 1600 km away from Brugge and landlocked. (just click it to see what I mean)

Thanks for report. Bug was found and fixed....

When playing as Russia, and you eventually get the Transamur invasion event. I do the war and start invading as soon as i get close to vladivostok, the event where transamur is surrendering comes up and i get that what to do with their navy event, i choose to take all of it. Then they spawn in vladivostok a provinse i really havent conquered yet but is surrendered with japs since they supported Transamur. Now the AI of Japan will take vladivostosk and my new fleet i got crushed...

Here's a question about the Italian Federation AI... In multiple playthroughs as Austria, the Federation will choose to go to war with me during the Civil War in order to claim Trent and Venice.. But then never attacks! My border is -totally- unguarded... No fortifications, no units, no nothing. The only military action the Italians ever take against me is to land troops in Croatia, if they're allied with me... They've not once tried to take back their actual territory, and just leave units sitting idle on the unguarded border.

I've experienced something similar. I was barely holding the Hungarians, Czechs, Croats and Serbs off and then after the Italian DOW, I assumed the worse. I nearly quit until I noticed nothing was happening. Must be an AI issue?

I've experienced something similar. I was barely holding the Hungarians, Czechs, Croats and Serbs off and then after the Italian DOW, I assumed the worse. I nearly quit until I noticed nothing was happening. Must be an AI issue?

Yes it is an ai issue. I´ll try to write an ai to fix that issue....

Ai file written. Now, when ITA declares war upon you, there will be much more fun I can assure you ( I just hope that it don´t be unplayable, since when you will fight against combination of ITA, HUN, CZE,CRO it won´t be fun ).

Edit : If you want new ai switches, here they are.....
https://rapidshare.com/files/457428808/ai.rar

And required ai events for ITA

event = {
id = 5015148
style = 0
country = ITA

trigger = {
ai = yes
war = { country = ITA country = AUS }
NOT = { war = { country = ITA country = RSI } }
NOT = { war = { country = ITA country = FRA } }
}

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1963 }

name = "AI_EVENT"

action_a = {
command = { type = ai which = "kaiserreich/switch/ITA_AUS.ai" }
}
}

event = {
id = 5015149
style = 0
country = ITA

trigger = {
ai = yes
NOT = { war = { country = ITA country = AUS } }
OR = {
event = 901071
event = 901071
}
}

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1963 }

name = "AI_EVENT"

action_a = {
command = { type = ai which = "kaiserreich/switch/ITA_NOR.ai" }
}
}

Last edited:
Is it me or the ACW much harder now? Can't kick the USA out of the Washington area as the CSA, been trying for the enterity of 1937, and usually they defend from 20 or so militia divisions just fine with only 1 '36 division after several weeks of fighting.

Also, is the supply system much different? Surrounding them does not make it any easier :/

I just found a pair of bugs:

- Ireland didn't join Mitteleuropa if they decide to join after the British show of force.

- Portugal is at war with Mittelafrika, but mittelafrikan troops can't occupy provinces (There's no military access granted, their only relationship is the war).

Ok. I also found another bug: Austrian civil war events fire, but war dind't appear. I saw this with Austrian-Bohemian and Hungarian-Croatian disputes.

Also, sprites and skins seem to be broken.

And to the previous question. Ireland is not supposed to join Mitteleuropa directly. This event ( if Ireland was invited into Mitteleuropa and accepted their offer ) sets flag, that will be used, if ENG declares war upon IRE. German Empire can then try to force UoB to go back to their island or risk war......

How broken are those sprites ?

Bug about civil war is no longer relevant, since new version of kaiserreich DH will have new, completely rewritten Ausgleich event chain......

And to the previous question. Ireland is not supposed to join Mitteleuropa directly. This event ( if Ireland was invited into Mitteleuropa and accepted their offer ) sets flag, that will be used, if ENG declares war upon IRE. German Empire can then try to force UoB to go back to their island or risk war......

How broken are those sprites ?

Bug about civil war is no longer relevant, since new version of kaiserreich DH will have new, completely rewritten Ausgleich event chain......

That's great. :)

About the sprites, they are broken in the same way the skins. If you take a look on the background of the left of my previous screen, you will see that the building show a lot of yellow distortion. The same happens with all the skin and with tank and fighter skins. Also, I had a CTD shortly after Germany (and me, because I allied amnually to Mitteleuropa) goes to war against the Internationale for the assassination of the ambassador.

Bug with sprits was found before some time, and will be fixed in a next version. You can however fix it even yourself ( since solution is very simple ).

Bug was solved by Allforme3 on kaiserreich forum...
Right goto (where is at)\Darkest Hour\Mods\Kaiserreich for DH\gfx\palette and delete every none counter except beach_palette . e.g only the counters for the countries are left and beach_palette. then your sprites will be fine it looks like it it made the game confused with to palettes for the sprites so made them look wrong hope that help

I totally concur. If it were up to me, the ACW would get scrapped and redone. I would have only one rebel faction (probably the Syndicalists) and they would be concentrated in the north-east (to make things challenging for a human player, but still giving the rebels a decent chance of lasting a while. I'm sorry for all the people who have put so much effort into this chain but the USA should only have a small scale civil war and should be able to avoid it altogether. If you're going to have a state that is doomed to have a civil war, it should be Russia, whose government allegedly barely controls the streets of Moscow and St. Petersburg. The USA can still be weaker than in OTL but it shouldn't be in mortal danger of extinction.

No, the ACW is fine as it is, but I think it could be avoided or made easier for the USA if they chose to suspend the constitution and put McArthur at the helm of the nation and then choose all the democratic non-authoritarian options. This makes the secession less grave, and only a couple of states for each faction; the PSA would not secede at all in this scenario.

Ok. Sprites fixed. But skins still bugged.